Menu

Need to process this . .

gardenmom5

A woman I haven't seen for years, likely a narcissist and social climber - and who was only nice to me at times when she thought I would be useful to her (e.g. i was talking to someone she wanted to meet), just sent me a FB friend request.

just - really?

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

Is she into multi level marketing stuff?   

I would be shocked if she was.  She's a nurse and her dh is a corporate lawyer.
They moved across the country 25 years ago (out of curiosity I looked her up.  Still there), and it's been 15 years since I've seen her.  We have one mutual FB friend. (I actually expected there to be more.)

It was just a shock.

part of me wants to ask: why the friend request when 30 years ago you'd go out of your way to avoid me, but when I was talking to someone you wanted to meet you rushed up and hugged me and spoke to me like I was your long-lost bestie. . . .

9 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

part of me wants to ask: why the friend request when 30 years ago you'd go out of your way to avoid me, but when I was talking to someone you wanted to meet you rushed up and hugged me and spoke to me like I was your long-lost bestie. . . .

Some people just behave that way. I had ex-classmates in college being all chummy when they see me chatting with guys they have crush on. One did honestly said she wanted to get to know more (handsome in her view) guys and she felt “tagging along” with me would improve her chances. 

I usually assume someone has started selling Plexus (or similar but it seems to usually be Plexus). However, there have been some people I have had friend request me and I’ve rolled my eyes but gone ahead and added them half out of curiosity and half out of general politeness because we run in the same circles or have mutual friends. I figure I’ll just delete if they annoy me. Sometimes I never hear from them again and they hardly post. I do think usually it is MLM when these people come out of nowhere but I do think there is also a phenomenon where someone gets bored and gets on FB some night and just starts adding people with no ulterior motive. I’ve had people come out of the woodwork and thought surely they wanted something only to add them and never hear from them again. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I usually assume someone has started selling Plexus (or similar but it seems to usually be Plexus). However, there have been some people I have had friend request me and I’ve rolled my eyes but gone ahead and added them half out of curiosity and half out of general politeness because we run in the same circles or have mutual friends. I figure I’ll just delete if they annoy me. Sometimes I never hear from them again and they hardly post. I do think usually it is MLM when these people come out of nowhere but I do think there is also a phenomenon where someone gets bored and gets on FB some night and just starts adding people with no ulterior motive. I’ve had people come out of the woodwork and thought surely they wanted something only to add them and never hear from them again. 🤷🏼‍♀️

What is plexus?  never heard of it.

13 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Some people are what I call "FB friend collectors."

• Like 3

14 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I would be shocked if she was.  She's a nurse and her dh is a corporate lawyer.
They moved across the country 25 years ago (out of curiosity I looked her up.  Still there), and it's been 15 years since I've seen her.  We have one mutual FB friend. (I actually expected there to be more.)

It was just a shock.

She sounds like someone who has little self-awareness or understanding of how she treats people and how it affects others.  So she very likely doesn't even remember herself as someone who was trying to avoid you, etc.  Your name probably popped up on her Facebook friend recommendation feed due to a mutual friend or other link, and thought why not?   It fits the pattern of how you remember her.  Ignore and try not to give it anymore thought!

• Like 6

18 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Some kind of weight loss product/vitamins/supplement drinks. I don’t know but if you try it, it will change your life for sure. 

There is someone in dh's business networking group that sells something similar.  He will have me do the research on it because I know more about this stuff than him.  Some of them, are *really good at* HIDING what's in them!  The lower the quality of the ingredients, the harder it is to find.
oh - their energy drink!  it's so wonderful!   it's basically highly caffeinated sugar water, but they pretend it's improving your health and that's why you have more energy.