Menu

Homeschooling update

Mrs Tiggywinkle Again

I just had to call the fire department, of which my husband is the assistant chief, to come remove my homeschooled 7-year-old from the inside of the non functioning chimney in my living room that he tried to climb up while I attended to his 12 year old brother who is home sick from school today. 7-year-old was supposed to be quietly doing his math independent work in the kitchen.

Homeschooling is going great, thanks for asking. 

pS: He was totally uninjured. This child just has more energy than anyone I’ve ever met and absolutely zero impulse control. Usually he’s in line of sight supervision, but his brother, who has autism and SPD and anxiety, was vomiting and freaking out about that so I was trying to help him and trusted DS7 could be left alone for two minutes.

Obviously I was wrong lol.  I declared Christmas break. We’ll try again in January. Meanwhile we’ll play outside and read lots of books and play with play dough. 

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle Again
  • Like 4
  • Haha 14
  • Sad 18

3 minutes ago, pinball said:

Was he injured?

how scary!

No. We didn’t even know the doors to the fireplace opened. They looked like they are welded shut because it’s all nonfunctional. They probably are welded shut. He probably figured out somehow to open it.

I could have grabbed him out if I was taller, it just narrows and he got stuck. I knew he was fine. I’m just short with short arms and couldn’t reach him.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

Valid curiosity if you guys "do" Santa, TBH. 😁

Our old house didn’t have a chimney so I always told the kids Santa came through the front door, but we watched The Santa Clause last night so it must have made him curious. 

Literally if I could bottle up his energy to sell I’d be a millionaire several times over.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Well while I was talking to the firefighters, he went and booby trapped my bedroom. Right now he’s outside making an arsenal of snowballs to throw at his dad.

You can laugh. Thank God we have a kids sensory gym that just opened nearby and I’m off to buy a month long membership to save everyone’s sanity. 

1379507D-9FD4-4D92-A9FF-2CAA105C8AC3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 1

Oh my goodness, you seriously win at the crazy things that happen while homeschooling contest. I thought toddlers that danced on tables while you were trying to teach a six year old to read was something. Now I know! Hugs to you. You have alot in your plate and you are keeping on. The sensory gym sounds like a perfect investment.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I strongly suggested to DH that people who still have 210 hours of PTO for this year could take the night off work(he’s on a 24 hour shift) and come home to help deal with a very emotionally dysregulated and sick preteen and a 7 year old who I’m literally peeling out of the chimney and a 10 year old who needs to practice her Very Loud hand bells RIGHT NOW for the Christmas concert tomorrow night.

He got the hint and is coming home in an hour lol.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

I strongly suggested to DH that people who still have 210 hours of PTO for this year could take the night off work(he’s on a 24 hour shift) and come home to help deal with a very emotionally dysregulated and sick preteen and a 7 year old who I’m literally peeling out of the chimney and a 10 year old who needs to practice her Very Loud hand bells RIGHT NOW for the Christmas concert tomorrow night.

He got the hint and is coming home in an hour lol.

That’s great to hear he has your back!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, freesia said:

That’s great to hear he has your back!

Part of his supervisor job is arranging psychiatric ambulance transports from hospital to psychiatric facility, and it’s a lot of work. I feel he probably decided it was easier to come home than find transportation for an inpatient facility for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 26

I related this story to Mark, and well, I think he laughed too hard!

I have always said that the greatest gift engineers could give mothers would be industrial strength Velcro suits and large Velcro panels for walls so we could suit up the kids, and when we need to leave the room, stick them to the wall until we return!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I related this story to Mark, and well, I think he laughed too hard!

I have always said that the greatest gift engineers could give mothers would be industrial strength Velcro suits and large Velcro panels for walls so we could suit up the kids, and when we need to leave the room, stick them to the wall until we return!  

Amen. From the time mine was able to be held upright in one arm until he was 3 or so, I couldn't leave mine to shower alone, so he came along.

7 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

If you've never had a child get stuck in a chimney, you're not doing this parenting thing right! 

haha  But on a serious note, I am glad he is okay.

Things happen! Ask me how I know...lol

We have never had a chimney thank goodness. MDD loves to crawl in anny and all small spaces. 

And let me just say, we should not call the Velcro suit idea abusive. I am pretty sure that all the monster myths, and evil witch stories, enchanted forest fairytales, and all that jazz were desperate parents without daycare in the Middle Ages just trying to keep their imps inside the bloody house when they had to go out and do all the staying alive things like fetch water, chop wood, hunt, tend crops, pay taxes to the robber barons. You just can't blame them, and I think velcro suits are a better idea than telling them the neighbor is going to cook them in an oven for lunch! 😁

• Haha 5

I did use a few velcro strips to velcro shut the doors of our unused fireplace. I have overly sensitive ears so if my kids (or my neighbors’ kids) were to try to remove the velcro, I could hear it anywhere in my small condo.

My nephews loved to climb and being short meant I was also good at climbing furniture to go after my nephews. 

• Like 1

I called the fire department one time, I had twin toddlers and one locked the door to the bedroom with both inside, at random, and didn’t know how to unlock it.  The door knob was wobbly and I couldn’t get it unlocked from the outside.

The fire department got it open with some trouble and told me I should talk to the landlord about repairing the door knob so it would not be wobbly.  They were extremely nice!

All ended well.  

It feels pretty bad to be calling for help with a stuck child, though!

• Like 3