Menu

Update in first post - Crisp-ish spiced sugar cookie recipe?

Laura Corin

Husband - Texas - talks about his ideal  Christmas biccie - spiced sugar cookies that are only slightly soft. The recipes I can find talk about soft being a virtue. Do you have an only slightly soft recipe? 

He's not demanding this but it would make him happy.

Laura - clueless, from the land of crisp biccies.

Update 27 December  - success! I made these 

https://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/texas-sugar-cookies/ but added a teaspoon of cinnamon and a few gratings of fresh nutmeg. Husband said that they were not quite the same,  but - if anything  - better than his mother's.  Many thanks,  everyone - especially @TechWife

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 8

Well, I can't really help you. What I know is that I grew up hating my mom's sugar cookies. They were super thin and very, very crispy. I am a firm believer that cookies should not be crispy (or at least, not super crispy). And she only put a tiny layer of frosting on them. I was...not young...when I realized that sugar cookies didn't have to be made that way. People can make fat, soft, lovely sugar cookies at home! For some reason, I assumed only bakeries had the secret to wonderful sugar cookies.

I, unfortunately, am not one of them. All kinds of sugar cookies elude me. They just don't turn out. I've tried countless recipes and only persist in trying because our kids like to make them.

If no one else has any suggestions, tag me, and I can ask for her recipe.

• Thanks 1

Use a regular rolled sugar cookie recipe, but instead of rolling and cutting the dough form it into small balls.  Dip the balls in sugar, or a mix of sugar and spices, and put them on your cookie sheet dipped side up.  Flatten the balls with the bottom of a glass, or a meat tenderizer, or anything else that will make a cool pattern.  The thinner you squish them the crispier they come out.  

8 minutes ago, Idalou said:

Have you looked at recipes for Snickerdoodles? You can adjust for spice levels. If you make them thick they will be softer, thinner is preferable to me. They are meant to be a bit crispy on the outside but sort of soft in the center.

Thanks. The way he describes it, his ideal is that they are only slightly yielding.  He buys crisp biscuits here and leaves the packet open so they take on a tiny bit of moisture. His mother is no longer with us and she had no daughter who might have the recipe.

Edited by Laura Corin

If you are looking for a recipe with the spices mixed into the dough, I have a recipe!  The consistency should be as you describe 🙂

Ginger Cookies

2 c. flour

1/2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. cinnamon

3/4 tsp. ground cloves

3/4 tsp. ground ginger

1 c. sugar

3/4 c. butter

1/4 c. dark molasses

1 egg

Cream butter and sugar, then add molasses and egg and beat until well mixed.  Add remaining ingredients and stir until mixed.  Roll dough into balls about the size of a walnut, then roll in additional granulated sugar to coat, and place on a greased baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 11-12 minutes.  (Cookies puff while baking and then start to fall -- I consider them done when they start to fall/have fallen, but if you bake them much longer than this they may end up crisp.) (From a cookbook of my Mom's when I was growing up.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if a chewy cookie would be the right texture?  Like this? (note: I have no experience with this recipe site, it just came up on my google search):

https://butternutbakeryblog.com/spice-cookies/

Here's another; you could change up the spices to your/your husband's liking. I have successfully made recipes from this blogger, though I've never tried this one.

https://reciperunner.com/chewy-chai-spice-sugar-cookies/

Edited by marbel

38 minutes ago, BandH said:

I feel like the “spiced sugar” thing is confusing me.  Are you imagining something different from a spice cookie, which obviously includes a lot of sugar?  To me a sugar cookie is a cookie without other flavoring. Kind of like vanilla ice cream.

I'm speaking from ignorance here - he describes it as a sugar cookie with Christmas spices in it?

3 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm speaking from ignorance here - he describes it as a sugar cookie with Christmas spices in it?

I wonder about a molasses cookie?  It will have the shape of a sugar cookie (not a roll out one).  I can see how someone would describe it as "like a sugar cookie"?  

I haven't tried this one, but I generally like her cookies:

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/crisp-molasses-cookies/

• Thanks 1

Do any of these look familiar to him? 

Texas Spice Cookies

Crispy Vanilla Spice Sugar Cookies

Spice Sugar Cookies

ETA - this describes the texture you’re after. Maybe it could be the base with spices from one of the other recipes added to it? 
Texas Sugar Cookie

Edited by TechWife
  • Thanks 1

Your description, especially the part about “only slightly yielding”, reminds me of a family recipe. It’s always been flavored with nutmeg, but you could adjust the spices to taste. As is, it’s less sweet than most cookies, but has a very pleasant flavor. The texture is firm rather than crisp or soft. 

1 cup sugar 

1/2 cup butter 

1 egg 

1/4 cup buttermilk 

1 teaspoon baking soda 

1 teaspoon salt 

1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg 

and, as the recipe says, “enough flour to knead”, which ends up being 3-4 cups.

Cream the butter and sugar; add beaten egg; add other ingredients. Roll (a bit under 1/4” is typical here: they puff slightly while baking) and cut. Bake at 350 degrees.

At various times we have sprinkled colored sugar on these before baking; added a glaze of confectioners sugar, hot milk, and vanilla after baking;  and just eaten them plain. Any of these treatments works.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TechWife said:

Do any of these look familiar to him? 

Texas Spice Cookies

Crispy Vanilla Spice Sugar Cookies

Spice Sugar Cookies

ETA - this describes the texture you’re after. Maybe it could be the base with spices from one of the other recipes added to it? 
Texas Sugar Cookie

He thinks the Texas Sugar Cookie recipe looks right - thank you!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I'd do a butter cookie recipe, but with spices added in. Or a spritz cookie - although you don't have to use the cookie press. Otherwise, I bet he is thinking of a snickerdoodle. In my head snickerdoodles are popular in Texas, no idea why I think that, lol. 

He's never heard of a snickerdoodle but that doesn't mean he hasn't eaten one. 

I have a crisp sugar cookie recipe - but no spices.  If you slightly underbake it, it will be softer.  But they are delicately crisp and really good.  

I remember my great-aunt getting this recipe from my mother's cousin's wife around 1970.

Sugar Cookies

cream together:

1c powdered sugar

1c granulated sugar

1c butter

~~   

add:

1c oil

2 eggs

Mix well in stand mixer.

slowly add:

4 ½ c + 2 Tbsp. flour, sifted.

1t salt

1t cream of tarter

1t soda

1t vanilla

Roll in (1" - 1 1/2" ish) balls.  Roll balls in granulated sugar then place on cookie sheet.   Use a flat bottomed glass dipped in sugar to flatten each ball, redipping in sugar as needed so balls don’t stick.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes then place on rack to cool.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2022 at 8:09 AM, Laura Corin said:

Is he from a part of Texas where German's settled?  There are recipes online for spiced sugar coookies.   Have you been able to look through any of those?

• Laura Corin changed the title to Update in first post - Crisp-ish spiced sugar cookie recipe?

I'm glad you found something that was similar and your DH enjoyed it.

The problem with older gen cooks and bakers is that they often weren't following a written recipe. They made up their own.

We have an infamous family story about some cookies that my grandma made. They were apparently delicious and everyone wanted her to make more. The problem was that she was just using what she had on hand (poor, lived on farm) until she got a nice dough consistency, didn't write anything down and was not able to re-create them exactly the same way again.

• Like 1