Menu

Playing with a cold?

rebcoola

We mostly let the kids do whatever they feel up to.  Runny nose and cough can linger a lot longer than the actual 'feeling bad' part.  When we all had covid last winter, one kid was playing outside in the snow within 48 hours, the other kid was doing light athletic training after 48 hours, and the adults went out for a daily walk because the fresh air really did feel good (we live on a couple of acres, so not much risk of germ spread).  None of us were badly sick, obviously, but it definitely didn't make us worse.  

• Like 1

Given what I've read lately about immune cells in the nasal passages having dying off when they get cold, I would send a mildly sick but feeling up to it kid out to play with some kind of face covering to keep the air they are breathing warmer--balaclava, scarf wrapped over lower face, face mask--with the thought they could have their fun in the cold without their immune system taking a hit as a result.

• Like 7

I have come down with a nasty cold this weekend. (Covid negative on my home test, which could be too early, but it feels like a cold.) Tbh, it makes me feel better to be out in the fresh air. It clears me out. Like @KSeramentions above, the cold air is a new kind of concern that I hadn't heard about before this week. But I really do feel better after a bout in the colder air.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BandH said:

Some of the asthmatic or lung disease kids in my extended family have breathing cold air  a trigger.  They are more likely to have trouble or their lungs are already irritated by something like a cold.  So, they’d stay inside. My other kid absolutely can go outside.

Maybe this is in DHs head he has Asthma that is really well controlled as an adult I have only known him to have 1 attack in 20years.  But I know he was pretty sick as a kid and he lived in Iowa so much colder than here. His probably used to make him stay inside as a kid when sick and he never thought about why.

If cold is not a trigger for asthma, then by all means, yes!  I have a nasty cold right now and ski almost daily.  I went back and forth yesterday about doing my daily ski while sick.  I decided to try it and it was the best part of my day.  I would not say it made my illness better or worse, but it sure helped my attitude!  I am still pretty sick today but will for sure not skip my ski.  I will just make sure to take it easy.

On 12/10/2022 at 5:51 PM, KSera said:

Given what I've read lately about immune cells in the nasal passages having dying off when they get cold, I would send a mildly sick but feeling up to it kid out to play with some kind of face covering to keep the air they are breathing warmer--balaclava, scarf wrapped over lower face, face mask--with the thought they could have their fun in the cold without their immune system taking a hit as a result.

I am wondering if there is a timing component to the immune cell death--like if you were exposed two days ago, does it really only matter within x hours before/after exposure, or is it an issue for days.

I do think this is a good idea.

I would also mention that I get post-nasal drip and sometimes a bit of regular dripping at this time of year every time I change temperatures (and even with hot flashes), so minor cold symptoms that don't develop might not really be a cold. 

• Like 2