Menu

November groceries: shortages + inflation

prairiewindmomma

Just now, Corraleno said:

This is directly from the USDA website; the headline says "consumption," but the text specifies that this really refers to access:

"While it is often used as a proxy measure for consumption, per capita meat disappearance is a measure of the supply available for use in domestic markets, including fresh and processed meat sold through grocery stores and used in restaurants.... The latest USDA forecast indicates that in 2022, U.S. consumers will have access to 224.6 pounds of red meat and poultry on a per capita retail weight basis." 

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/chart-gallery/gallery/chart-detail/?chartId=103767

Yes, I have seen this one, too. 

I’m getting more greens than I can use from my CSA share. Shopping at Trader Joe’s is bizarre though. No chocolate croissants for weeks but this week they had them but…no Mayo. 
i do also find TJs cheaper and hadn’t thought of it until I read someone mention this up thread (I don’t keep track of prices per item it’s just it’s always less than I expected). 

On 11/1/2022 at 9:10 PM, Heartstrings said:

Enough people across the country had this problem this year that I’ve heard a bunch of speculation online about bad seeds.  Ranging from theories about seed sellers selling old seeds to conspiracy theories about it being done on purpose by Mon San To to prevent home gardens.  

Huh. I didn’t plant a garden this year but my friend had mad tomatoes. Much sauce. 

I haven't noticed any shortages or big price increases, but I mostly just buy fresh produce at Trader Joe's and WF (although for some weird reason TJs has not had green onions for the last 6 months so??). I get cases of canned beans and soy milk and big bags of frozen organic fruit from Costco, and the prices on those seem to have held pretty steady. 

I got pretty lucky with tomatoes this year, although I don't try to grow enough to can, just enough for DD and I to eat fresh in salads, salsas, curries, etc. We had more than enough for the two of us from three plants, and we were drowning in cucumbers although the peppers and zucchini didn't do as well. 

No shortages in the San Antonio area that I am seeing. Prices have been wiggling up by small amounts, but those small amounts add up to a big amount. 

I got a Sam's Club membership for free and have been shopping there once or twice a month. It saves us about $250 a month. I'd hoped to save about $400 a month, but inflation + some impulse purchases derailed that plan a bit. 

• Like 1

I had a good tomato year for some reason. I overheard several people talking about it being a bad year for tomatoes in general around here, but mine were healthy and produced well for a long time. Can't attribute it to my skills - I'm an enthusiastic but not very meticulous gardener and my watering and fertilizing happens decently enough but not in an ideal way for sure.

3 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

Unless you live in an apartment, anyone can plant a fruit tree in their yard and freeze/can fruit, too.  Lots of ways to be frugal and healthier.  But in general, I think a lot of people are busy and stressed out.  They can't even think about doing that.  So yes, the expensive eggs still bug me, lol.   I've been seeing a lot of hunger billboards go up around me lately. 😞

I have to say, not necessarily. I am a farmer and a gardener. I have a huge orchard in my yard and it’s been years since I’ve gotten much fruit from it. Between the humidity and bugs I have to spray constantly if I want fruit and I end up covered in poison. That’s the reality of living in the South. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

People should also consider reducing their consumption of other certain types of foods, not just meat.  We're eating a lot of bad stuff, and we're also not getting the right kind of physical activity, generally-speaking.  

Unless you live in an apartment, anyone can plant a fruit tree in their yard and freeze/can fruit, too.  Lots of ways to be frugal and healthier.  But in general, I think a lot of people are busy and stressed out.  They can't even think about doing that.  So yes, the expensive eggs still bug me, lol.   I've been seeing a lot of hunger billboards go up around me lately. 😞

Well there is avian flu and exhorbitant feed cost to consider. Even with a few birds I let roam and feed scraps and treats to in addition to commerical feed, my cost has more than doubled. 

52 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I have to say, not necessarily. I am a farmer and a gardener. I have a huge orchard in my yard and it’s been years since I’ve gotten much fruit from it. Between the humidity and bugs I have to spray constantly if I want fruit and I end up covered in poison. That’s the reality of living in the South. 

I agree with you.

Gardening is not for everyone.  Getting a fruit tree is expensive depending on the area and it is not going to yield a crop right away. Not everyone has freezer space to store or has the ability to can.  To start canning, it is expensive unless you get lucky and find the supplies cheap.

I have a good friend who can kill any plant no matter how hard she tries to keep it alive.  Even kills mint.  

• Like 3

I have had a garden for years and the last good one was 2019. I forget how many tomato seeds I planted to get about 4 to grow and only one to bear fruit. Same with peppers. Carrots are okay and potatoes were a mixed bag. I had multiple packages of heirloom seeds from reputable suppliers that did zilch and were a total loss. I haven't put anything in for fall despite our mild winter because I am tired of the effort with no payoff. One bean plant isn't going to supplement a meal here. 

As for shops, pasta is GONE everywhere. Coffee is way up. Milk is crazy, even though we barely use a half gallon a week. I have noticed several packaged foods on shelves with very near best by dates... as in, 2 weeks away. 

• Like 1

If you think it is difficult to grow and store fruit at home, then maybe you shouldn't make someone feel they are being unethical for buying eggs in the grocery store.  I do think a lot of people can grow things at home, and yes, it requires maintenance and time.  Just as you may not be able to grow a fruit tree or a producing tomato-plant---or afford the maintenance and storage, nor can someone do the same with chickens.  

1 hour ago, Ting Tang said:

If you think it is difficult to grow and store fruit at home, then maybe you shouldn't make someone feel they are being unethical for buying eggs in the grocery store.  I do think a lot of people can grow things at home, and yes, it requires maintenance and time.  Just as you may not be able to grow a fruit tree or a producing tomato-plant---or afford the maintenance and storage, nor can someone do the same with chickens.  

Gardening or having chickens also doesn’t immediately pay off.  I’m in a suburb, to get my house ready to suburban garden I have build beds, get soil, buy seeds, buy fencing to keep critters out and buy a chicken coop and I don’t know what else chickens needs.  By the time I do all that I’ve spent at least a $1000 ish bucks, plus now I need canning supplies, another freezer and shelves.   It’s going to take a couple years to recoup those costs before I start seeing a return.  If it’s a hobby you love, go for it.  But we can’t pretend its a way to save money today when you look at ALL the money that needs to be spent.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

Gardening or having chickens also doesn’t immediately pay off.  I’m in a suburb, to get my house ready to suburban garden I have build beds, get soil, buy seeds, buy fencing to keep critters out and buy a chicken coop and I don’t know what else chickens needs.  By the time I do all that I’ve spent at least a $1000 ish bucks, plus now I need canning supplies, another freezer and shelves.   It’s going to take a couple years to recoup those costs before I start seeing a return.  If it’s a hobby you love, go for it.  But we can’t pretend its a way to save money today when you look at ALL the money that needs to be spent.  

I understand what your are saying.  We have a typical backyard, and my husband just planted a peach tree in it.  It didn't require too much, but it did take a couple of years to get fruit.  And yes, while you can put a plant or two in a small garden, when people get more serious about it, there will be more and more input costs.  I am sure horrible things go into the manufacturing of materials for us to do things at home, whether it is building a chicken coop or serious vegetable garden.  I guess I was just responding the backhanded snarkiness of the response to buying eggs in a grocery store.  Many can't do it at home, and many can't afford for every single grocery item to cost a small fortune.  Right now, people are feeling the pinch, and many are trying to save a few bucks here and there.  I am glad some are privileged enough not to have to worry.

• Like 4

I was able to get out yesterday (yay to a neg COVID test) and purchase some much needed items. The inflation is terrible. One item that was $1.98 at Walmart three weeks ago is now $3.28. Eggs are $18 for the 60 pack. Our brand of Mayo is over $5. I went well over budget and didn't get 1/3 of what was on our list. There were food shortages as usual but I couldn't tell what was missing. The produce didn't look great; like it was tired.

In tracking our monthly budget, our grocery line item has been steadily increasing but we aren't buying greater quantities or a higher quality of item.

Thanks to this thread, I spent the wee hours researching meat consumption and the food pyramid/food plate.

• Like 1

Just to help everyone out with what it costs to get going on home food production, I just spent $60 on seeds for a small number of crops, green beans, paste tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, garlic, chives, green onions, candy onions, bell peppers, and jalapenos. We are building dd's raised beds out of pallets from the local feed store. They had so many pallets, that they were desperate to get rid of them and sold them for $2.50 each. We bought 12 of them and since she already had 4, she will end up with 8 beds,  2' deep, by 48" x 40" beds. We paid $18.00 for agricultural fabric to line them, and will probably pay $200 for top soil and compost to fill them.

She planted two raspberry canes/plants. Those spread so fast that she will probably have a 3ft deep, 12 ft long row by next fall. LOL, they have been in the ground two weeks and are already spreading and climbing the steel fencing we gave them (leftovers of a $200 roll of steel grid fence used along the back property line to prevent the kids from taking a tumble into the cove.) The raspberry plants were $14 each.

We planted two peach trees, one pomegranate, one nectarines, two figs, and two kiwi. The figs and kiwis were around $26 each, and the trees were $40 a piece so roughly $160+ dollars in trees and $30 in mulch. They will have to be babied along until their root systems fully develop, and the trees won't produce fruit for 2 more years, and then only a small amount the first year. The figs and kiwi will be 5-8 years before they produce. Of course over time the much has to be replaced. If we don't have a home source of that, then more expenditure. All of them will need plant food/fertilizer to keep them healthy and producing well. Another cost.

People living pay check to pay check can't manage this kind of investment for future food production. They might be able to manage a pot with a cherry tomato or pepper plant. But again, bag of potting soil, pkg of fertilizer stakes, something to stake the plant to, the pot, and then the cost of the plant or seeds....will they harvest enough in that year to be worth the investment? Hard to say.

Dd wants backyard chickens. Not so much because she thinks she can save money which she knows she can't, but because she wants eggs from happy, ethically treated hens, and she wants her boys to have the experience of raising them and caring for them. I figure that we will need another roll of fence, plus the cost of building the coop, and bedding as well as the cost of the chicks and their feed, and am pegging our start up costs for 6-8 hens at $750. She will reduce feed costs by giving them all of her kitchen vegetable and fruit refuse, and they will range within the confines of the fenced area which is 100ft wide by 30 ft deep so they will get grass, weeds, and lots of insects. But, they will still need a small amount of laying mash each day.

Not cheap. Not sure if it will ever pay for itself or not. But, as a family, we like the idea of having some self produced food so we forge ahead.

• Like 1

I just got back from the store and eggs are $5/dozen and iceburg lettuce is $7/head.  Milk has been pretty steady at $4.69/gallon.  Yukon Gold potatoes have actually come down in price.  About a month ago they were $7/5 lb bag.  I think today a 5 lb bag was $4.50.  The 10 lb bag of russets were cheaper but it takes us a while to go through a 10 lb bag.

• Sad 1

I haven't noticed many shortages lately. Frozen organic spinach and kale have been hard to find, so I've been doing my own. I usually only use for smoothies and it's been cheaper than buying frozen at WF or TJ, so I will probably continue. But occasionally I go into our vegetable market and there will be no greens at all. And fresh broccoli has been awful lately. Dried out and browning on the edges most of the time, and if I find some decent looking broccoli it's looking crappy after 2 days. I've been buying frozen at Aldi instead. We've been lucky with meat markdowns at one supermarket, so we try to go there every few days. And they've had some really good sales on roasts and chicken lately. But when a roast is $2.99 a pound, 85% ground beef is $2.49 a pound and boneless skinless chicken breast is the same, it really bothers me. But I live in a family of meat eaters and that's never going to change. I typically eat WFPB, and it has become a lot more expensive for me. Organic produce has really increased in price. And apples! Dh loves to cook with apples and the prices are crazy! We went to our local farmer's market this weekend hoping they would be reasonable, but they were in the $5/lb range. The last time he bought a bunch at the supermarket he spent about $40. We have a lot of apple picking/farm markets/orchards around us, but they are all in wealthy areas, so it's just as expensive if not more expensive. 

After several weeks of not being able to get flour for pick up I went inside. There were only 4 bags of the flour I wanted. I bought 2. 

Things the store was out of that were on my list: 

Fresh ginger root, Cashews, all but one variety of ground turkey, cinnamon sticks, and vanilla. 

3 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

ummmm. I didn't do that.

I realize that not everyone can grow their food. So they do the best they can. I realize that many people need the cheapest food options they can find. No shame in that.  I lived that way for most of my life. It's only been in the last 20 years that I've been able to afford the luxury (yes it's a luxury to have the property and cash to have a flock of chickens. My dh teases me about my $7 a dozen eggs and my $15 a gallon milk from my cow) I remember well having to purchase the very cheapest of everything at the grocery because there was no other option. 

I live on 70 acres. The vast majority of Americans can't raise a cow or grow a garden. 

Many of us who actually farm are as confused and frustrated as the rest of the world. Because my dh has to have an off farm job to make it. We could never have the farm pay for itself because we aren't making tons of money. But judging by the prices at the grocery store and the feed store SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE is raking it in. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

Dd wants backyard chickens. Not so much because she thinks she can save money which she knows she can't, but because she wants eggs from happy, ethically treated hens, and she wants her boys to have the experience of raising them and caring for them. I figure that we will need another roll of fence, plus the cost of building the coop, and bedding as well as the cost of the chicks and their feed, and am pegging our start up costs for 6-8 hens at $750. She will reduce feed costs by giving them all of her kitchen vegetable and fruit refuse, and they will range within the confines of the fenced area which is 100ft wide by 30 ft deep so they will get grass, weeds, and lots of insects. But, they will still need a small amount of laying mash each day.

Not cheap. Not sure if it will ever pay for itself or not. But, as a family, we like the idea of having some self produced food so we forge ahead.

We've never "Made" money with our hens. But the eggs are amazing and I can at least sell some of the excess to off set the feed costs. Feed is just so expensive. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

ummmm. I didn't do that.

I realize that not everyone can grow their food. So they do the best they can. I realize that many people need the cheapest food options they can find. No shame in that.  I lived that way for most of my life. It's only been in the last 20 years that I've been able to afford the luxury (yes it's a luxury to have the property and cash to have a flock of chickens. My dh teases me about my $7 a dozen eggs and my $15 a gallon milk from my cow) I remember well having to purchase the very cheapest of everything at the grocery because there was no other option. 

I live on 70 acres. The vast majority of Americans can't raise a cow or grow a garden. 

Many of us who actually farm are as confused and frustrated as the rest of the world. Because my dh has to have an off farm job to make it. We could never have the farm pay for itself because we aren't making tons of money. But judging by the prices at the grocery store and the feed store SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE is raking it in. 

No, you did not.  I'm sorry for the confusion. It was in response to a different comment, pointing out how unethical egg production is in response the egg price increases.  I think many actually do have an idea about how horrible it is, and they cannot afford to buy items that are produced better.  I do actually believe fresh eggs and milk taste a lot better than what you find in a store, and especially the mass produced stuff. Yum! 

My husband also farms, too, and I agree.  I think a lot of the frustration is just the rapid inflation and seeing huge changes so quickly with everything.   😞

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

This is not always the case. Not everyone has a large enough yard or has soil for it. 

4 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

I was just responding the backhanded snarkiness of the response to buying eggs in a grocery store.  Many can't do it at home, and many can't afford for every single grocery item to cost a small fortune.  Right now, people are feeling the pinch, and many are trying to save a few bucks here and there.  I am glad some are privileged enough not to have to worry.

Raising chickens in the backyard and/or paying "a small fortune" for eggs from pastured hens are not the only possible alternatives to 10-cent eggs from horribly tortured animals. There are other sources of protein, like beans, that are even cheaper, per gram of protein, than 10-cent eggs. You can get a pound of dried beans for $1.50 (or $1 on sale). One pound of dried beans = 7 cups of cooked beans, @15g protein per cup = 105 g of protein for $1-$1.50 — with the bonus of lots of phytonutrients and 15g of the soluble and insoluble fiber that most Americans severely lack. A dozen large eggs @6g protein = 72g protein for $1.20 (or more likely $3-4 even for caged eggs) — with the "bonus" of knowing that price was directly subsidized by the terrible suffering of a living being.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Raising chickens in the backyard and/or paying "a small fortune" for eggs from pastured hens are not the only possible alternatives to 10-cent eggs from horribly tortured animals. There are other sources of protein, like beans, that are even cheaper, per gram of protein, than 10-cent eggs. You can get a pound of dried beans for $1.50 (or $1 on sale). One pound of dried beans = 7 cups of cooked beans, @15g protein per cup = 105 g of protein for $1-$1.50 — with the bonus of lots of phytonutrients and 15g of the soluble and insoluble fiber that most Americans severely lack. A dozen large eggs @6g protein = 72g protein for $1.20 (or more likely $3-4 even for caged eggs) — with the "bonus" of knowing that price was directly subsidized by the terrible suffering of a living being.

Another bonus - unlike eggs and other animal products, beans have a tiny carbon footprint. So do vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts, and seeds. The foods that are best for human health are best for the health of the planet, too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

22 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Another bonus - unlike eggs and other animal products, beans have a tiny carbon footprint. So do vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts, and seeds. The foods that are best for human health are best for the health of the planet, too.

Yes, I understand there are definitely healthier alternatives to eggs.  I might use them for baking, which I understand baked goods are not healthy, but every so often I do make a treat for my children.  For the most part, I think we are pretty healthy otherwise.  I do wish my children liked beans better, otherwise, I'd probably cook with them more often.  

There is absolutely no need, though, to make people feel bad for their grocery choices in this thread.  I'm guessing not everyone here is the picture of perfect health and makes perfect choices 100% of the time, given our weight stats in this country.  Grocery prices are just one area of inflation.  

Other people mentioned eggs and chicken.  

Edited by Ting Tang
  • Like 5