Menu

Hammering with preschoolers

Terabith

My 2 and 3 year olds loved hammering golf tees into our pumpkin.  I was impressed with how well they did, too, even with the ones on an angle and with starting the tees.  I was thinking about other hammering activities we could do. I’m not sure I feel brave enough for real hammers.  We used wooden crab hammers.  But maybe I should be brave and let them hammer real nails into wood?  I wondered if screwdrivers would be too hard.  What do you guys think?  Any other good mediums?  Watermelon would work, I think, but wrong season and I really want something less temporary.  The pumpkin only lasted three days or so. 

• Like 3

Do you have outdoor time? You could hammer into the earth. There's also Styrofoam but it's pretty bad environmentally. You could do thick cardboard boxes, though, and you could also use plastic knives as saws on them.

Hand-drills are good rather than screwdrivers (not electric, the old fashioned kind). You could definitely hand-drill into soft wood. 

• Like 2

We used Styrofoam and golf Ts. The novelty didn't last long anyways. Just scraps of styro that are left from packaging. A few times, I bought florists Styrofoam at Dollar Tree, but usually just leftover garbage that was always around anyways. 

Look for ideas on sensory websites or Montessori. They have great ideas for learning 'real skills' for that age group and what skills to introduce.

• Like 3

Screwdrivers are actually really good for littles. It's not easy for them for sure but it's an activity that works on their fine motor skills. (It's a big prep work though because when I've seen it work really well the holes are pre-drilled, with these sleeves that keep the kids from just hammering the screws in.) An easier method is just to have a box of screws and nuts for them to play with or those pre-made plastic things where you screw in screws to make a picture.

We hammered into styro foam from packaging too. We had to buy a TV recently and the kids had a blast with all that big packaging.

• Like 2

Obviously, you'd need to consider any choking hazard issues, but nails into cork boards is one option. They can then stretch rubber bands around them to make designs.

A basket of nuts and bolts is good too. I realise this isn't exactly what you're asking, but it's a popular activity that is great for hand-eye coordination and wrist strength. Again, ponder choking hazard risk.

Another idea is a basket with locks and keys. Have the key tied to the lock if choking is a worry. 

I love 2-3 year olds 🥰

• Like 3

I highly highly recommend tap tap https://www.edu-21.com.au/kids-manipulative-toys-buy-blocks-threading-lacing-educational/tap-tap-buy-kids-hammer-cork-nails-set.html

I am sure that in your countryyou could find a cheaper way to buy, but included the link so you would know what I was talking about 

• Like 1

I actually own a screwdriver board from Montessori services with pre drilled holes for screws and a stubby screwdriver.  And a nuts and bolts board from them.  I bought those for my own kids when they were really little, though at some point I removed the smallest nuts and lost them.  I have been looking for locks and keys.  Need to hit the hardware store.  I am not a Montessori teacher, but I really love a lot about it and we do tons of practical life/ fine motor. (I am trained in Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, so I feel pretty competent at presentations.  We just also have loads of blocks and dramatic play.  And no three hour work period.)  

Anything like this would be done under very, very close supervision.  All paint or potentially hazardous things (scissors) are close to one on one.  None of my kids really put things in their mouths, but obviously they might at some point.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Terabith said:

My 2 and 3 year olds loved hammering golf tees into our pumpkin.  I was impressed with how well they did, too, even with the ones on an angle and with starting the tees.  I was thinking about other hammering activities we could do. I’m not sure I feel brave enough for real hammers.  We used wooden crab hammers.  But maybe I should be brave and let them hammer real nails into wood?  I wondered if screwdrivers would be too hard.  What do you guys think?  Any other good mediums?  Watermelon would work, I think, but wrong season and I really want something less temporary.  The pumpkin only lasted three days or so. 

You are asking a guy who thought it was a good idea to give his son a tomahawk to his son as a 13th birthday gift.

I worked so hard at doing some custom wood carving, staining, and achieving a "friction fit" on the blade-head that I treated with "bluing."

Fortunately, no fingers have been lost and the "cool scar" gives him a story to share with generations to come :tongue: 

What could go wrong?

Bill

• Haha 1

Just now, Spy Car said:

You are asking a guy who thought it was a good idea to give his son a tomahawk to his son as a 13th birthday gift.

I worked so hard at doing some custom wood carving, staining, and achieving a "friction fit" on the blade-head that I treated with "bluing."

Fortunately, no fingers have been lost and the "cool scar" gives him a story to share with generations to come :tongue: 

What could go wrong?

Bill

Well, today was kinda awful and makes me think maybe no on real hammers.  I love my class, but it’s Halloween; it’s raining, and while we went to fellowship hall (large empty room) for outside time, the other teacher’s rules are “pick a toy from the bucket and sit on the floor.”   Which is INSANE.  My poor kids got no time to run or jump or get wiggles out all day, so they were crazy.  Apparently last year there was a freak accident and a child fell against a chair against the wall and got badly hurt.  Same teacher also doesn’t like them running on the playground because they might fall and get hurt.  Arg!  Hopefully tomorrow will be better.  

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Acorn said:

We wear raincoats at our school, but even being outside today wasn’t enough to settle the holiday energy. Best wishes to us all for tomorrow.

I wish we had like a collection of school raincoats.  I’m a huge fan of going outside in any weather, but I don’t have broad support for that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

I wish we had like a collection of school raincoats.  I’m a huge fan of going outside in any weather, but I don’t have broad support for that.  

Yes, the local Waldorf school does this. Boots, coats etc.  Unless there’s a storm, they go outside in all weathers for some time every day.

Dd2’s preschool, which was more fabulous than I realized at the time, had several rooms the classes rotated through. One had a corner with a tool station. I’ve been trying to remember exactly what was there and how it was managed; I’m pretty sure there were hammers, among other things, but I’m drawing a blank on more details. There were always several people supervising activity in the room, though, so maybe someone was assigned to monitor the hammers when they were available. I don’t remember any accidents.

The same room had a sensory table which was filled with different things each week: water, or rice, or beans, and so on, with little cups to measure and funnels to pour through, plus lots more. And, on some days, a climbing frame was ready for the kids, though they almost always went outside as well. I can’t imagine trying to occupy little kids without a way for them to run and climb and play. You have my sympathy trying to manage that situation.