Menu

Daycare employees facing felony charges

Murphy101

Mississippi daycare employees charged for terrorizing children

I’m actually really glad they are facing serious consequences for what they did to those little ones.  If they did that to my kid I’d have a hard time not giving those adults something to really be scared of.

Good on the parents for pressing charges so hopefully they don’t get to terrorize more children in the figure. Though I think there’s a serious problem at that facility too that such an environment would make anyone think they could or should do that. Just. What the hell? *smh*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I saw this yesterday.  Horrible that they did that.  I am sure those kids are having nightmares.   Who would try to scare a 2 year old??

They suggest they did it since they weren’t allowed to use corporal punishment.  Apparently it didn’t occur to the jerks that there’s more than those two options.

• Sad 6

3 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

They suggest they did it since they weren’t allowed to use corporal punishment.  Apparently it didn’t occur to the jerks that there’s more than those two options.

I hadn't even heard that.  Sick.

Those poor babies.

Edited by mommyoffive

49 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Seriously, call the parents of the bad children and send them home is an option. Not accepting the children you deem are too naughty is better than what they were doing.

19 minutes ago, Clarita said:

Seriously, call the parents of the bad children and send them home is an option. Not accepting the children you deem are too naughty is better than what they were doing.

These kids are toddlers, barely out of babyhood. I seriously doubt this was a classroom with any "bad children". The bad guys are the employees, and I would suspect the owner to some extent, especially if these women were not recent hires.

Edited by Idalou
  • Like 9

28 minutes ago, Idalou said:

These kids are toddlers, barely out of babyhood. I seriously doubt this was a classroom with any "bad children". The bad guys are the employees, and I would suspect the owner to some extent, especially if these women were not recent hires.

It makes me wonder what they haven't been caught doing.  😞  

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Idalou said:

For clarity I highly doubt it too. I just meant if they were too lazy to do any of the appropriate methods, they still have better choices they can make. I hate stuff like this because there are wonderful daycares out there and this stuff makes them look bad.

I think one of the things that horrifies me the most about this, even though I'm grateful that it led to them being caught, is that they posted it on the internet.  So, they clearly didn't recognize what they were doing as abuse while they were doing it.  That speaks to a much broader cultural  problem, and implies that they were probably mistreated, and they're probably around other people who treat children similarly. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

I think one of the things that horrifies me the most about this, even though I'm grateful that it led to them being caught, is that they posted it on the internet.  So, they clearly didn't recognize what they were doing as abuse while they were doing it.  That speaks to a much broader cultural  problem, and implies that they were probably mistreated, and they're probably around other people who treat children similarly. 

That's horrific in at least two ways.  One that they clearly didn't see anything wrong with their scare stunt and two that they didn't know not to post videos of their daycare kids online.

• Like 3

When my oldest was little we couldn’t afford a decent childcare, and it’s why I didn’t go back to work.  Not the only reason — but a reason.

But my husband made enough money for me to stay home.  

It’s so disappointing there is stuff like this, and my assumption is sometimes people do not really have options about where they put their kids.  Sometimes there just are not options of an actual good option.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lecka said:

When my oldest was little we couldn’t afford a decent childcare, and it’s why I didn’t go back to work.  Not the only reason — but a reason.

It’s so disappointing there is stuff like this, and my assumption is sometimes people do not really have options about where they put their kids.  Sometimes there just are not options of an actual good option.  

And the daycare has the sweetest name. Who would ever suspect?  I feel bad for parents.  😞  Nobody should ever have to worry about this.

6 minutes ago, Lecka said:

Having worked in many daycares, preschools, head starts, & schools- the problem for parents is that it’s hard to tell if the option is good or not unless you are actually there during the day observing.

But yeah- there are not many choices for most people. And even places that seem good may not be.

And since workers make minimum wage and have almost zero training, it sucks for all involved.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 4

On 10/22/2022 at 7:54 AM, Murphy101 said:

Yes.  You haven't been able to use corporal punishment in schools here since 1987 and parents haven't been allowed for about 15 years.  We don't resort to putting on masks and scaring them to death.

• Thanks 2

On 10/22/2022 at 8:45 AM, Clarita said:

They are 2 and 3.  Any decent childcare worker should be able to have them wanting to help clean up.

• Like 2

This is one thing that’s wrong with people philosophically believing kids “need” corporal punishments to learn what to do and not do. It skews the whole paradigm. They start trying to come up with another non-corporal way of “making” kids do what they want. Haven’t they ever heard of the Clean Up song? Christ. 

• Like 4

On 10/21/2022 at 11:54 AM, Murphy101 said:

Makes me wonder what their definition of corporal punishment is . . . .

On 10/21/2022 at 1:33 PM, Ting Tang said:

It makes me wonder what they haven't been caught doing.  😞  

this.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kiwik said:

Yes.  You haven't been able to use corporal punishment in schools here since 1987 and parents haven't been allowed for about 15 years.  We don't resort to putting on masks and scaring them to death.

Eh? There’s still schools with corporal punishment here and parents are allowed to use corporal punishment aka spanking.

I actually have no issue with spanking, but the times I’ve felt it warranted for my own children were rare, especially when younger than 5 years.  The times I’d be okay with someone else making that call about my child is exactly never.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 7:23 PM, Hilltopmom said:

Having worked in many daycares, preschools, head starts, & schools- the problem for parents is that it’s hard to tell if the option is good or not unless you are actually there during the day observing.

But yeah- there are not many choices for most people. And even places that seem good may not be.

And since workers make minimum wage and have almost zero training, it sucks for all involved.

I will never forget reading some newspaper article many moons ago about how only 1/3 of childcare centers met the basic requirements to be considered "quality" but almost all parents thought their child's daycare center was a "quality" one. (it was 20 yrs ago, i don't remember the benchmarks anymore, but it wasn't anything crazy)

• Like 3

I can't even imagine why they thought this was okay, AND to post it to social media!

I have a 12yo.  For the first 5 years of his life, he would not even go near Santa Claus.  Very few masks were acceptable to him: Mickey Mouse, a reindeer, Donald Duck.  That's it.   And even those were only safe if an adult held him.  He's 12.  We took him to a Boo Fest at a theme park this year and he quickly went from wanting to do haunted houses to not wanting to be around any of the performers (to deciding to go to a haunted house with his brother, who he trusts completely to keep him safe).

I cannot fathom what this would have done to him as a toddler.  I don't know how quickly he could have bounced back from that.  I know that would have been it for the daycare.  There's no way I could have ever sent him again into that room without him trying to escape and run into traffic.  He wouldn't have forgotten.  He would have made himself sick every day I attempted to bring him back.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I can't even imagine why they thought this was okay, AND to post it to social media!

I have a 12yo.  For the first 5 years of his life, he would not even go near Santa Claus.  Very few masks were acceptable to him: Mickey Mouse, a reindeer, Donald Duck.  That's it.   And even those were only safe if an adult held him.  He's 12.  We took him to a Boo Fest at a theme park this year and he quickly went from wanting to do haunted houses to not wanting to be around any of the performers (to deciding to go to a haunted house with his brother, who he trusts completely to keep him safe).

I cannot fathom what this would have done to him as a toddler.  I don't know how quickly he could have bounced back from that.  I know that would have been it for the daycare.  There's no way I could have ever sent him again into that room without him trying to escape and run into traffic.  He wouldn't have forgotten.  He would have made himself sick every day I attempted to bring him back.

Yup.  Same here with both of my kids.  We had to avoid most public places from beginning of October through December because all Halloween decorations and depictions of Santa bigger than those in a book were TERRIFYING.  At a year old, we had to leave an Air Force Christmas party held in an aircraft hangar (gigantic space) because oldest knew Santa was there somewhere, even though they couldn't see Santa, and the blood curdling screams would not stop.  I can't even imagine what this would have done to them.