Menu

** 2 Questions ** 1) thank you gift idea and 2) cat toy gift for Christmas

sheryl

1.   Thank you gift idea 

We lost power Friday evening to this morning, thanks to Ian!  I'm not complaining as that is mild compared to the devastation in FL and such and this outage occurred Sept 30 to Oct 1 with much cooler temps.  We didn't need the A/C.  Power outages in the summer in the south are difficult!  

Our side of the street is on one grid and the other side of the street is on another grid and were not affected by the outage.  One of the neighbors on the opposite side of the street offered to loan us their portable generator.  There are 11 families on the street and they have been here the longest, 2nd to us.  

That was soooo kind of them.  It was a NEIGHBORLY thing to do out of the compassion in their hearts.  He and his wife keep to themselves.   He's been retired for a while.  

Do we get a gift?  Will it offend them?  They did this out of the GOODNESS of their heart and sometimes gifts can be overdone, imo.  So, yay or nay to a gift?  If a gift, what ideas and what price point?  Or, just a simple heartfelt card?

2.  Cat toy gift

I run a very small cat sitting business.  Ironic as our kitty is now in kitty Heaven and we've had dogs for decades.   She my Shiloh threads.  LOL.    

I need Christmas gift ideas for my cat customers.   Last Christmas I spent only $5/each and bought an Elliptical Pet cat wand which I searched high and low for.   Our cat, Mocha, had one years ago and it really is the best design.

Would like to keep the cost at a minimum because cats are finicky and fit my cat toy budget.  It's hard to find something for that amount but these are older cats and set in their ways.  Each cat likes the cat toy I gave.   Should I make homemade cat treats?   Is there a recipe?  I've made homemade dog biscuits/cookies which turned out great.  

IDEAS!  Thanks!!!  

50 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Yes, I've seen this.  I watched a few YT videos.  I will add to list.  Thanks! 

45 minutes ago, Beth S said:

Maybe make a meal for the neighbors, or mow their grass?
We had a similar very generous neighbor during an ice storm here.
It really bonded us together, & there's been a back & forth ever since.
(Maybe you can cat sit for them for free!)

Good idea but I don't know if they have any food restrictions, dislikes, allergies.  Otherwise, I would.  DD cat sat for them once 10 years ago.   They do not get away.   

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I'll second this. My dd's cat loves this thing. Prices vary - but locally it was less than $3, and I bought it on Amazon for less than $3 once too. Yes, we have two - one at my house (because the cat comes here sometimes - over holidays, etc) and one for her apartment. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

1.   Thank you gift idea 

We lost power Friday evening to this morning, thanks to Ian!  I'm not complaining as that is mild compared to the devastation in FL and such and this outage occurred Sept 30 to Oct 1 with much cooler temps.  We didn't need the A/C.  Power outages in the summer in the south are difficult!  

Our side of the street is on one grid and the other side of the street is on another grid and were not affected by the outage.  One of the neighbors on the opposite side of the street offered to loan us their portable generator.  There are 11 families on the street and they have been here the longest, 2nd to us.  

That was soooo kind of them.  It was a NEIGHBORLY thing to do out of the compassion in their hearts.  He and his wife keep to themselves.   He's been retired for a while.  

Do we get a gift?  Will it offend them?  They did this out of the GOODNESS of their heart and sometimes gifts can be overdone, imo.  So, yay or nay to a gift?  If a gift, what ideas and what price point?  Or, just a simple heartfelt card?

2.  Cat toy gift

I run a very small cat sitting business.  Ironic as our kitty is now in kitty Heaven and we've had dogs for decades.   She my Shiloh threads.  LOL.    

I need Christmas gift ideas for my cat customers.   Last Christmas I spent only $5/each and bought an Elliptical Pet cat wand which I searched high and low for.   Our cat, Mocha, had one years ago and it really is the best design.

Would like to keep the cost at a minimum because cats are finicky and fit my cat toy budget.  It's hard to find something for that amount but these are older cats and set in their ways.  Each cat likes the cat toy I gave.   Should I make homemade cat treats?   Is there a recipe?  I've made homemade dog biscuits/cookies which turned out great.  

IDEAS!  Thanks!!!  

Well, being as they were just being NEIGHBORLY, and between the two families YOURS AND THEIRS…you can be considered the leaders of the street, so to speak, I would certainly give them something!

It would just be a good example for the neighborhood and the YOUNGER neighbors like: “this is how it. is. done. around. here. Neighbor helping neighbor. With compassion.”

With aaaaaaallll that being said…MY GIFT SUGGESTION:

Omaha Steaks. A Filet Mignon package. Maybe the bacon wrapped filets. Maybe. Retired people love steak, in my experience.

OK, moving on. CAT TOYS

Cats do not need toys. They are smart enough to entertain THEMSELVES!!! It is almost an insult to think a cat needs a toy but that’s not a well known factoid.

So, if you care for cats where the owners think they need toys, I would get some empty boxes from a warehouse store (BONUS: THEY ARE FREE!) and give them to the owners. If possible, you can demonstrate how given an empty box, a cat will entertain herself for hours. Also, point out the cattish axiom:  ¡if I fits, I sits!

HTH

• Thanks 1

Several rescues here send newly adopted cats home with a peacock feather.  The cats love them.  They use these for all the cats waiting to be adopted and I swear the cats just know when they come out to play.  

We often throw a power cord for their fridges or provide some power to a few neighbors with our generator when the power goes out.  Honestly, just a simple thank you is what I prefer. I did have one neighbor who gave me a box of Oreos every time as a thank you. I am convinced that his wife would only buy Oreos as he may have said they were “our” favorite when they were his and this was his way to get some as he didn’t go many places due to some disabilities.

• Thanks 1

My cats love the cat dancer too!   It’s crazy!

id want to do something for the neighbor with the generator.   Maybe a grocery store or restaurant gift card?  But I also think a handwritten thank you note and maybe a homemade something would be by nice and well received too.  

• Thanks 1

We have really sweet and thoughtful neighbors and one thing they do is come over and plow our drive for us once in a while.  In the spring, we always give them a local gift card to thank them and at least pay for the gas.  I do know their favorite restaurant, but we've also given them gift cards to the local apple orchard store (they also sell fresh produce and local goods like jams, apple/pumpkin butter, baking mixes, etc), a local Italian market/bakery, another local bakery,etc, a maple product place (our town is known for maple production).  This way they could choose what they like and I think it's kind of fun to go to a store with a gift card.  🙂  

• Thanks 1

Once your power is back on, bake something for your neighbors and send over a nice bouquet. (I have so many food allergies but still understand the overwhelming kindness of a homemade treat) 

Cat toys - the dollar store has cat toys. I think, however, no matter the gift that is the  packaging and presentation that will make all  the difference. Attach a little poem or a picture of the cat  and  include a business card for referrals. 

Glad you all are safe!

• Thanks 1

Purely practical suggestion, but -- Consider giving them a gas gift card to replace the generator gas used. That's not going to set any records for unique, but it does show you're not taking their generosity for granted. I'm assuming the genny already had gas in it and that you didn't add your own, of course!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all of the replies.  After speaking with DH and just "pondering" I decided to bake something and send with a card.  Imrich also suggested a bouquet which would be a nice touch and will try to find one that is a simple autumn one.  

I had to think if it was dh and I who loaned out something.  I in no way would not want anything b/c I'd like the recipient to 1) not feel that they "had" to "buy" us something and 2) just to bless someone.  

Now we have given a gift card to say thank you in the past but it was for an assigned request like picking up our mail while on vacation or something like that.  

So, this little bouquet, homemade cranberry muffins (recipe from a friend from London whose mom used to work in a bakery, I believe) and card will be just enough but not overly so.   Thanks, Catz.

Techwife, thanks for that.  Yes, these cats have those little toys!  It's hard buying for a cat because they are more independent than dogs.   Many dogs LOVE balls and sticks.  Shi does.  Maybe I'll revisit the homemade cat treat.  

I've seen the cat dancer toy and would get that but I bought the wand last year that they like.  I'm trying to find something that is (almost) effortless by cat dad/mom but the cat enjoys.   It's hard.   Ball of yarn LOL! 

Edited by sheryl
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Purely practical suggestion, but -- Consider giving them a gas gift card to replace the generator gas used. That's not going to set any records for unique, but it does show you're not taking their generosity for granted. I'm assuming the genny already had gas in it and that you didn't add your own, of course!

DH did refill with propane which is what is uses.    Thanks!!

• Like 1

My cats LOVE Yeoww catnip toys, but I think they're a hair over $5.  And of course some cats don't respond to catnip.  

In our house, older cats tend to get more sedentary and do respond really well to toys.  And kittens and young cats are very good at making their own entertainment, but what they choose as entertaining is not always something we would like them to play with.  So toys have always been good here.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Terabith said:

My cats LOVE Yeoww catnip toys, but I think they're a hair over $5.  And of course some cats don't respond to catnip.  

In our house, older cats tend to get more sedentary and do respond really well to toys.  And kittens and young cats are very good at making their own entertainment, but what they choose as entertaining is not always something we would like them to play with.  So toys have always been good here.  

So true.   A young kitty responds somewhat differently than an older cat.  Well, IDK.  These cats have catnip toys.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Terabith said:

Obama looked very dapper and handsome in his bow tie.  He also hated it.  

0E0970DB-CFF8-49D5-9C13-5026F1309B68.jpeg

Yes, he is a handsome cat.   Thanks for sharing.  LOL a bow tie.   You know that would suit one of the cats.  He's such a sophisticated boy! LOL!  

• Like 1

My dd's cat really likes meat tubes - that's what we call them anyway - pureed meat in a plastic tube like gogurt.  Maybe get the little stockings and put 3 (chicken, salmon, tuna) in each stocking for each cat?  (Box of 12 is like $5-$6 here)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bambam said:

My dd's cat really likes meat tubes - that's what we call them anyway - pureed meat in a plastic tube like gogurt.  Maybe get the little stockings and put 3 (chicken, salmon, tuna) in each stocking for each cat?  (Box of 12 is like $5-$6 here)

Bambam, ok.  That's a take on my making homemade cat treats.  How old is your cat?  That's an interesting idea.  Do you have a link to share?  

4 hours ago, sheryl said:

Bambam, ok.  That's a take on my making homemade cat treats.  How old is your cat?  That's an interesting idea.  Do you have a link to share?  

Cat will be 3 years old this month. (Cat much prefers Salmon, then Tuna, with chicken third)

https://www.kroger.com/p/luvsome-lickable-puree-cat-treats-variety-pack/0001111009049

• Thanks 1