Menu

Activities to fill short downtimes

Kanin

I'm looking for some activities/things to do for kids when they have small amounts of downtime in my classroom. For example, 5 minutes between finishing a math worksheet and going to music class. I have a student who doesn't do well with unstructured time. Actually, I have a couple! The age range is 5-7.

Trouble stopping an activity is difficult at the moment, so I'm hoping for some ideas of things that are easy to stop and pick up again later. 

Simon Says, Red Light Green Light — they are often easy to end, if they don’t get kids too wound up.  

Playing “mirror” is less active.

It seems really popular right now to put on little kid dance videos.  And is it called noodle?  Those brain break videos?  (Edit — Go Noodle)

Edited by Lecka

Do you mean individual activities for the kids who finish sooner? Or activities for the whole class to do together? My earlier answer was for individuals. For the group, you could do some of the simple body exercises that help the brain--oh man, I used to have a book, but I can't find it right now, and I can't remember the name. It involved doing simple movements that involved crossbody actions. And you could do stretching exercises. There are always good read aloud that you could throw in a chapter here and there, like The Mysterious Benedict Society. Something exciting enough to keep the active ones engaged. Play hangman with the spelling words (only they don't know you are using the spelling words).

If it's stuff to have each kids do individually, things like a stack of small dry erase boards and markers work remarkably well at entertaining kiddos. They can grab the board and marker, tissue/felt/etc for an eraser, and draw at their seat until time to go.  Have a bin where each one "lives" and teach them to put it back when done. 

Alternately, paper and crayons, but that gets pricey going through paper. 

lacing cards are good as well for that age, one lace, multiple cards, and they do one, undo it, do the next, etc. 

If you're thinking of time killing things that you can involve the group in, various games work. I do a line-up game where one kid gives a word (so, cat) and the next kid gives a word that begins with the ending letter of the previous word (so, cat leads to turtle leads to lion leads to nickel, etc....). For that age range, I'll prompt them with the ending sound by repeating the word and enunciating/highlighting the end sound (by around 2nd gradeish they can identify the end sound reliably; in about 1st they can sometimes, in K they need help).  

They also like to play Eye Spy at that age, but you have to give rules. Simon Says is another one.  Or there are various "activity dice" (Target has sets of 3 pretty often) that have things like "crab walk" or "tiptoe" and then one has a time limit; I skip the time limit and have them go across the room and back. 

I feel like extra reading time is just so valuable, even if they're only able to follow the pictures. Having a range of books (esp cool books about Pokemon, Star Wars etc) shows that reading is so much more than just decoding.  

If the child is unlikely to sit quickly flicking through a book, I agree threading cards are a great idea. 

Will they be returning to your classroom or does this end you time with them? 

Group:

You could teach them short songs. Like camp fire songs. Or songs related to the subjects being taught.

You could give blitz contests. Suddenly divide the class in half or fourths and give 5 questions they have to answer. Team with the most answers gets some silly prize like first to line up to leave or first choice of activity to choose from the next day or whatever. 

Individual:

Write a brain teaser on the board for them to solve.  They have to submit their answer in a box or jar. Kid who got it correct revealed later. 

Have lap books to make or that are completed for them to select to go over.

Have a jar with volunteer options written on tongue depressors or box with note cards.  It can be any short small helpful thing they can do. Sharpen all the pencils.  Dust or take a bleach wipe to whatever area seems to need that regularly. Straighten and make sure bookshelf is organized. Restock the art cabinet. Water plants.  Whatever.  When completed - the card/depressor is removed so it can’t be selected again that day/ week.

Let them choose to read or use basic art supplies (paper, markers, colored pencils…) and just be quiet on their own. 

• Like 1

Are we talking individual downtime or class-together downtime?

I like simple things for individual: a book, a fun "worksheet" (hidden pictures, word find, counting...) or a set of cheap baking trays with various things on them: shape pictures to make, patterns to copy/continue, felt picture making, magnetic animal scenes, rubbing texture boards, things like that.  A range of trays stacks neatly, most can have things found around the home or thrift shop, but a variety lets them be interested every time.

Independent reading. It’s what I did all through school. I had a lot of downtime until high school. I don’t think there’s any reason to make any extra activities or games, that puts a burden on you where you don’t need one. Just have them read. 

ETA - independent reading is structured time. If, for some reason, you think this won’t work, pick a good chapter book to read out loud to the class. Chapters are short in books like Mr. Poppers Penguins, The Pushcart War, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.. 

Edited by TechWife