Menu

Rushdie stabbed on stage in NY

Melissa Louise

Once in the neck, but stabbed up to 15 times.  I hope he pulls through.  In my opinion it likely was because of the fatwa.  The perp is in custody.

He was speaking at an event to discuss the US being a place of asylum for writers and artists to have freedom of expression.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Beth S said:

He wrote his controversial novel in 1988, quite a long time ago!

10 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

In 2012 - the price on his head was increased from $2.8M - $3.3M.  

But he’s still very much hated for it. DD listened to him speak at a university a few years ago. A small group of writers were invited. He really had no idea it would be that level of controversial. He is Muslim Indian but raised in Britain. If I understand it (and maybe I don’t) it would be akin to me writing something sort of Satirical and making fun of Christians/Christianity (as a Christian) and having legalistic people mad at me? Maybe it’s more extreme than that but this is what I understood it to be. Someone jump in if I’m wrong. 

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 3

I heard about this earlier today and was shocked to see that this happened at the Chautauqua Institute. My daughter studied ballet there during the summer a few years ago. For those who aren't familiar with Chautauqua. It's a small, gated community on a lake. It's a very cultured, serene environment.  In the summer serious ballet students and music students study there (all students must audition to get a place there). Chautauqua is considered to be a learning community and those who come for a vacation in the summer are mainly there to attend lectures on various topics. The ballet and music students also perform for the visitors (mostly older people, 60+). The lectures and performances take place in the amphitheater, which is where this attack occurred. My daughter performed there several times. It's so hard to imagine violence happening there. It's just goes to show that it can happen anywhere.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Obviously he's had a price on his head for a long time, but I did still find it shocking. Stabbed at Chautauqua of all things. Egad.

I find that a lot of folks don't know his work at all. The Satanic Verses is a bit of a mess as a novel, IMHO. But Midnight's Children is a masterpiece. And I love The Ground Beneath Her Feet. He does that clever Indian writer thing of playing with words really effectively. I admit I don't like much of his more recent work, but he really is a master writer and he really has stood so firm on free expression in ways I can't think of many others doing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

Oh, man. That's very sad.

I don't like Rushdie as a writer or really, in the way he comes across in interviews, but by God, he has walked the talk when it comes to artistic expression and freedom. I remember him fondly for his forthright stand re Hebdo. 

He was living a normal life after Khomeini died (the original Fatwa declaring elder Khomeini). I was hoping that things were different these days and that there are no more terrorists trying to reach Paradise in the afterlife by assassinating dissenters and unsuspecting people, but this news is very sobering. Many years ago, I made several attempts to read The Satanic Verses, because of the controversy, but I found it too hard to follow along. I did enjoy Haroun and The Sea of Stories.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

He was living a normal life after Khomeini died (the original Fatwa declaring elder Khomeini). I was hoping that things were different these days and that there are no more terrorists trying to reach Paradise in the afterlife by assassinating dissenters and unsuspecting people, but this news is very sobering. Many years ago, I made several attempts to read The Satanic Verses, because of the controversy, but I found it too hard to follow along. I did enjoy Haroun and The Sea of Stories.

I think the fatwa was - renewed? - in 2019. 

I wondered if it was the sort of thing that goes to the attacker's family if Rushdie dies. I assume that while it might be real money that somehow changes hands and goes somewhere, that it was also largely symbolic to attract attention and make clear the threat. I haven't seen much about the attacker but if he's in custody forever and his family is American, I don't know how anyone gets the money.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This is probably slightly morbid but who offered to pay that price? Presumably that won’t happen because his attacker is going to be jailed and it’s proceeds of crime? 

Money would change hands somehow. Most likely in the form of providing for the attacker’s family. The “price” is like a ranking indicator, the higher it is the more “wanted” the person is.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

I wondered if it was the sort of thing that goes to the attacker's family if Rushdie dies. I assume that while it might be real money that somehow changes hands and goes somewhere, that it was also largely symbolic to attract attention and make clear the threat. I haven't seen much about the attacker but if he's in custody forever and his family is American, I don't know how anyone gets the money.

It is exactly like a pirate’s bounty from long ago. The family of a “martyr” who executed the fatwa will get the payout.

• Sad 1

There could be distant family members in Iran.  

I think when things look like a pension for an old widow it looks nicer, and I think that is how it comes across when suicide bombers have their widowed mom or grandma get “taken care of.”  This is my impression at least.  

It’s so sad.  

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Lecka said:

There could be distant family members in Iran.  

I think when things look like a pension for an old widow it looks nicer, and I think that is how it comes across when suicide bombers have their widowed mom or grandma get “taken care of.”  This is my impression at least.  

It’s so sad.  

There is a 3+ million dollar bounty on Rushdie, which the Mullahs have promised to pay to the martyr or his family.

It is out in the open, no hush hush pension money:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/08/13/praise-worry-in-iran-after-rushdie-attack-government-quiet.html

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1

reports are he's been extubated, and is cracking jokes.

The radical's family lives in New Jersey - supposedly they didn't know he had been radicalized.

I hope he doesn't get a payout since he didn't kill him, and it sounds like Rushdie may well survive.

Oh - and now the mad mullahs are threatening JK Rowling for having expressed support for Rushdie.