Menu

Surgery tomorrow

Scarlett

I had finger surgery late February for mucous cysts on two fingers.  One came back immediately and a third finger on the same hand developed (probably) multiple cysts which are painful.  I wasn’t thrilled with that entire situation for many reasons…..I never got to see the surgeon except for  1 minute in the hallway when the PA pulled him out of another patients room to lay eyes on my cysts I assume for insurance. Then the day of surgery I saw the surgeon for another 60 seconds when he came in to mark my finger and I had to call him back in because he marked only one of the two fingers.  And the PA….ugh, I just did not like her.  When I got the packet in the mail,before surgery there was a sheet saying Norco would be called in for me. Since I had an entire conversation with the PA about how sick narcotics and opioids make me I called her up and she very flippantly said, ‘ just don’t fill the Rx’.  I was like ‘how about you don’t call a Rx in for a drug I told you makes med violently ill’.  I did not say that but I wanted to.  Anyway day of surgery it became a big deal because she had also not got me cardiac release because of my AFIb. And then before I even got in the car after surgery my pharmacist called me and said, ‘um, we don’t think we should fill this for you.’.    Then because I asked her to call in the 800 mg Ibuprofen  type stuff she instead called in Tramadol. Pharmacist again calls me and is very confused.   Smh

Also she was very negative overall….she said, well we can do the surgery but they will probably come back. ( I had one removed in 2009 in another state that is still perfect).  So I decided to change practices completely…..to the hand surgeon that saved my moms finger after her car accident. This surgeon tells me that only 10% come back after removal.  So I am hopeful.  Also when I told him that the previous surgeon, a couple of years ago had drained my cyst in his office he looked horrified.  He said with a very measured voice, ‘ I would not have done that.’

So.  That is my saga so far.  

I need a good book recommendation.  I will be really limited on what I can do…I can’t remove the bandages for 3 days and then it will be several weeks before I can cook and clean and such.  Or lift anything.  

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 4

All the best with this surgery. Sorry the journey hasn't been great, but it sounds like you have a good surgeon now. Good for you for advocating for yourself! 

I don't have any book recommendations, but if you enjoy British TV then a month free use of Britbox might be fun. There are tons of good drama, comedy, lifestyle and other programs, both old and new.

• Like 1

That's just crazy and I hate that feeling of being dismissed and being just a "money making number" to them. I am curious about how your surgery goes though since I've got one growing on my hand, as well. It's not painful and doesn't hinder the use of my hand but at the rate it is growing, I don't want it there forever.  

Please update us!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

That's just crazy and I hate that feeling of being dismissed and being just a "money making number" to them. I am curious about how your surgery goes though since I've got one growing on my hand, as well. It's not painful and doesn't hinder the use of my hand but at the rate it is growing, I don't want it there forever.  

Please update us!

So yours hasn’t burst?  One on my ring finger has burst 3 times in the last few months.  That is where the danger comes in from possible infection.

59 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Ugh!  They had to reschedule my surgery!  My insurance was flaking out and they could not get the approval in time. 

Oh no!  That is so frustrating when you're mentally ready and prepared at home.  Hope it gets rescheduled and done very soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1