Menu

Professional outfit for non-binary college student

Terabith

My oldest kid is starting college next fall.  On the list of things to bring, it suggests a professional outfit. I am not great at professional clothing, honestly, especially for women.  And my kid is non binary.  Any great suggestions of professional attire for non binary people?  

The enby folks I know have all kinds of styles that are sometimes super femme or masculine. Presumably your kid should decide for themself. In a general sense, I've seen a lot of looks in queer fashion (in the nonbinary and the lesbian and gay worlds) that pair masculine and feminine pieces together. Like more masc shoes and pants with a super femme top and jacket or vice versa - a more masc tailored shirt and tie with a more femme high waisted pant.

• Like 6

I will also say this-if there is any chance of doing a music ensemble, make sure you have an all black option and a black/white one. Those two cover most any performing group. They also cover things like ushering for a performance, working stage crew for theater, too.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My dd has pants from Old Navy in black, navy, and gray.  She has a black blazer and a navy blazer from somewhere recommended on here.  I want to say Banana Republic Outlet?  And black flats.  Oh, and the shirt under the blazer is a sleeveless or short sleeve pima cotton shirt from LL Bean.

These have served her well in "professional" outfits throughout college.

Dark dress pants and flat shoes with button down collared shirt in a neutral: off white, white, beige, light blue, grey or in the same dark color as the dress pants.

Where I've lived, blazers aren't necessary and aren't worn except in cooler weather. If it's cold, a dark colored trench style works as an outer layer.

Here's a list from the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Career center for ideas for non binary career dress for interview and professional.  I think the list is from 2016 https://uwosh.edu/career/wp-content/uploads/sites/38/2016/05/LGBTQandGenderNon-binaryResources.pdf

Maybe there's a student resource page at the college career center with similar ideas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't stress over it too much, they're very unlikely to need professional dress their freshman year. Shoes that aren't sneakers, pants that aren't jeans, and a few nice tops (to have choices). 

If an event comes up that requires something different, there will be stores there (that's what my dh used to tell me when I stressed over forgetting to pack something for vacation, lol), and of course online shopping. 

• Like 4

How are they working out the dorm situation?   Inquiring minds want to know.   At my oldest son's school they said they had to be in a room with the gender they were assigned at birth unless they had gender reassignment surgery.   My other son's school didn't have anything in the info I read about it.

So I am curious about non-binary vs. transgender in terms of dorm rules.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

How are they working out the dorm situation?   Inquiring minds want to know.   At my oldest son's school they said they had to be in a room with the gender they were assigned at birth unless they had gender reassignment surgery.   My other son's school didn't have anything in the info I read about it.

Yikes, that’s a terrible policy. No one should be required to have surgery 😥. My kids’ schools have gender inclusive housing options. That means that they will pair you with someone else seeking gender inclusive housing. My nb kid has had a mix of roommates—.trans men, trans women and non binary. I don’t know whether the housing application asks them to specify more specifically what they are comfortable with (like, could trans guys request only other trans guys? I don’t know. I am curious to ask. Mine never cared as long as it was someone who requested gender inclusive housing (which doesn’t mean the person requesting has to be trans themself). 

• Like 4

Well, in this case, they have a medical exemption requesting a single room due to their inability to cope with even minor sounds.  It’s a women’s college but very inclusive. I would be fine with any of the roommate options if it weren’t for Lyr’s need for basically complete silence.  They’ve got headphones for sounds outside the room.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KSera said:

Yikes, that’s a terrible policy. No one should be required to have surgery 😥. My kids’ schools have gender inclusive housing options. That means that they will pair you with someone else seeking gender inclusive housing. My nb kid has had a mix of roommates—.trans men, trans women and non binary. I don’t know whether the housing application asks them to specify more specifically what they are comfortable with (like, could trans guys request only other trans guys? I don’t know. I am curious to ask. Mine never cared as long as it was someone who requested gender inclusive housing (which doesn’t mean the person requesting has to be trans themself). 

It was a very progressive college as well, so I was a bit surprised.   

4 hours ago, Terabith said:

Well, in this case, they have a medical exemption requesting a single room due to their inability to cope with even minor sounds.  It’s a women’s college but very inclusive. I would be fine with any of the roommate options if it weren’t for Lyr’s need for basically complete silence.  They’ve got headphones for sounds outside the room.  

Gotcha.   My oldest son has Asperger's and the noise factor was a huge issue for him as well.   He did have his own room but even with headphones, it was  noisy.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DawnM said:

My son's university is different since it’s overseas, and they have on campus apartments instead of American style shared dorms. Everyone has their own bedroom and most units have their own en suite (in a couple buildings 2 people share a bath), plus a shared common space/living room and kitchen. All apartments are mixed gender so it’s a non- issue. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Terabith said:

That's nice they can accomodate. One of mind is in dorms where they will accomodate this, and the other is at a school where they don't have enough housing to do so.