Menu

Nationwide Manhunt for 6"9" killer and 5'5' female deputy, who probably voluntarily ran off with him

TravelingChris

https://www.usmarshals.gov/news/chron/2022/casey-white.pdf

https://whnt.com/news/shoals/live-authorities-provide-the-latest-update-on-missing-inmate-sheriffs-employee/

https://www.foxnews.com/us/missing-alabama-prison-official-retiring-jailbreak 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/03/us/alabama-vicky-white-casey-white-search-tuesday/index.html

Casey White, 38, with a 75 year sentence already for attempted murder, kidnapping, armed robbery, etc and who confessed to a brutal, senseless killing of a 58 year old Connie Ridgeway for no reason escaped the jail with the help of a  56 yo Vicki White, who was the asst director of the jail in Lauderdale County, AL.  She turned in her retirement papers the day before, had sold her house a few weeks before, and Friday was her last day to be working.  Well, she violated policy and took out the unrelated Casey White, saying he had a mental health evaluation at the courthouse.  He had changed his mind, pled not guilty by reason of mental defect, and so that excuse sounded legitimate. What wasn't was that she took him in both handcuffs and leg irons by herself.  And they never went to any appt ( she also claimed she had a medical appt after the evaluation) but they didn't realize the killer was missing until 3:30pm. 

They are armed and extremely dangerous.

My CRNP coumadin nurse who I had to see yesterday to get a schedule for an upcoming procedure were talking about the deputy and what goes on in the heads of these woman who run off with a psychopath?  She is charged with one felony right now but if she survives, will be charged with more, most likely.  The US Marshals have been hunting them and there is a nationwide BOLO plus even British papers are featuring this story.

• Sad 7

1 minute ago, gardenmom5 said:

I'm skeptical the deputy is still alive.   He probably manipulated her to think he loved her so she'd help him.  Once he was out, he didn't need her anymore. 

I think this is likely.  He wasn’t actually interested in an almost 60 year old woman. Only what she could do for him.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Agreed about the deputy. This guy is too depraved to care about her, and would likely see her as a liability on the lamb. 

He is 6ft 9in. Way outside the normal range of height for white guys. I think it may be hard for him to blend in so he is going to have to stay off grid. I hope enough Marshals have been put on the job to detect manhunts outside of major population areas.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Agreed about the deputy. This guy is too depraved to care about her, and would likely see her as a liability on the lamb. 

He is 6ft 9in. Way outside the normal range of height for white guys. I think it may be hard for him to blend in so he is going to have to stay off grid. I hope enough Marshals have been put on the job to detect manhunts outside of major population areas.

6'9" is outside the range of any skin colour. 

He could at least try to remain in situations where his height isn't as noticeable, like sitting in a vehicle. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wintermom said:

He could at least try to remain in situations where his height isn't as noticeable, like sitting in a vehicle. 

Yes true. I don't really know how he can disguise it for long. I was thinking about how close to the roof of our Equinox my boy is who is 6'1". Not even sure that would help this scam bag! It is just a super noticeable height.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, wintermom said:

From watching way too many crime shows-  all he needs is a wheelchair, hair dye/cut and a blanket.  Easy to hide his height depending on how he sits in it ( I can’t remember who the serial killer was who did a version of this). 

I too, think the deputy is no longer alive.  He got what he needed out of her so what does he need the liability of her now .

• Like 3

I think, because of his height, he's going to need her to hide him awhile.  I don't think she's dead.  I hope she's found safely and they can charge her with helping someone escape and nothing else, meaning I hope nothing else goes down.  But with his criminal history, he's probably easy to set off so who knows.   I think they probably got a good head start into the mountains and are hunkered down somewhere.  

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 11:58 AM, Faith-manor said:

I don't know if you're trying to make some sort of height analysis based on race, but it's not based in fact.  6'9: is way above average for a male of any racial background.  White Americans are actually the tallest by average (sources in link).  

LOL on catching them at a car wash.  What kind of fugitive thinks they need a clean vehicle as a priority?  I guess all is well that ends well.

The table below shows the mean height of US-American adults by race and Hispanic origin in 2015-2016:

Race and Hispanic Origin Men Women
Non-Hispanic White 69.8 in (177.4 cm) 64.3 in (163.3 cm)
Non-Hispanic Black 69.1 in (175.5 cm) 64.0 in (162.6 cm)
Non-Hispanic Asian 66.8 in (169.7 cm) 61.5 in (156.2 cm)
Hispanic 66.7 in (169.5 cm) 61.7 in (156.7 cm)

https://thebonescience.com/blogs/journal/average-height-around-the-world

It sounds like Vicky White shot herself as they were about to be captured, and she's in very serious condition.

It's hard to imagine how she was able to be convinced that this situation could have ever possibly ended with her and an escaped murderer living happily ever after. That creepy guy must have been a master manipulator.

• Sad 3

The news is reporting that Vicky White has died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.  

Such a tragedy that she ever met that guy. It sounds like she had never done anything remotely like this in her entire life. I guess she couldn't stand the thought of going to prison. And she had done a terrible thing by helping that murderer escape, so she would have certainly deserved prison time. Thank goodness no innocent people were killed during the chase or the apprehension.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

The news is reporting that Vicky White has died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.  

Such a tragedy that she ever met that guy. It sounds like she had never done anything remotely like this in her entire life. I guess she couldn't stand the thought of going to prison. And she had done a terrible thing by helping that murderer escape, so she would have certainly deserved prison time. Thank goodness no innocent people were killed during the chase or the apprehension.

This is exactly how I feel.  I don't think we'll ever know the real story of how she got involved and why she did it.  He had nothing to lose.  

• Like 1

She likely was lonely and foolish.  And he knew just what to say.  Just like so many other inmates who get in contact with lonely women and suck them dry.

He's the one that deserved to die - he'll try this on someone else.

I saw a number of articles about his former victims/witnesses against him living in fear he'd come and kill them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

She likely was lonely and foolish.  And he knew just what to say.  Just like so many other inmates who get in contact with lonely women and suck them dry.

He's the one that deserved to die - he'll try this on someone else.

I saw a number of articles about his former victims/witnesses against him living in fear he'd come and kill them.

I agree. I think I was particularly shocked by this case because of her occupation. I would have thought that she would have been less susceptible to the charms of a criminal because she dealt with criminals every day, and I guess I assumed she would have known better.

Hey, for all we know maybe they really did love each other. Obviously, that’s no excuse for what she did, but considering the fact that she ended up dead, I have to hope that he really loved her so he can spend the rest of his life in prison feeling guilty and responsible for her death. One of the reports I saw claimed that when the police were arresting him, he begged them to help his wife because she had shot herself and she was badly hurt, but I’m not sure if the report was accurate. As far as I know, they weren’t married, so I’m not sure why he referred to her as his wife, but who knows what vows they made to each other?

OK, I know this sounds incredibly shallow, but am I the only one who looked at that guy’s pictures and wondered what anyone would have ever seen in him? There was absolutely nothing attractive about that guy, even if he wasn’t, you know, a cold-blooded murderer!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, katilac said:

Well, she was a corrections officer, that's probably not a great former job to have in prison. 

Definitely! But more than anything else, I’ll bet the embarrassment and humiliation of it was too much for her to bear. It’s not like she was a career criminal. She had a mom and other relatives, long-term co-workers, and friends. 

I find it absolutely bizarre that she seemingly thought they wouldn’t get caught. It’s like it never dawned on her that they would be spending the rest of their lives on the run, and that a 6’9” tall man with lots of identifying tattoos would eventually be noticed. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I find it absolutely bizarre that she seemingly thought they wouldn’t get caught.  

Here's a case of a lawyer who helped her imprisoned lover escape. I know there's another one that I'm not finding, and then you have all the women who fall in love with prisoners and don't help them escape, but do marry them. Some interesting psychology there for sure. 

28-yr-old lawyer helps convict escape

Edited to add a second one: Defense attorney helps client escape and plans to marry him

Edited by katilac
  • Like 1

I saw an article - there is some supposition he shot her, she didn't shoot herself.  Considering the reports of how ruthless he is (even a former cell mate of his said he's very ruthless) - I can believe that too.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, katilac said:

Here's a case of a lawyer who helped her imprisoned lover escape. I know there's another one that I'm not finding, and then you have all the women who fall in love with prisoners and don't help them escape, but do marry them. Some interesting psychology there for sure. 

Edited to add a second one: Defense attorney helps client escape and plans to marry him

I was briefly acquainted with a woman who was in love with her prison pen pal.  Her dd was in my dd's girlscout troop.  She seemed of low IQ, and well . . more than just "not bright".  definitely self-esteem deficits too. The guy got out of jail and they married during girl scouts.   The guy was a p3do.  she lived with her own mother and maybe a brother? was there too.  it was a dysfunctional family, more than the low IQ.

She was cookie mom for the troop.  2dd was in brownies - so a different troop.  As I was putting the money we collected together to turn over to the cookie moms, I had a VERY STRONG impression to only give that GS troop checks.  NO cash.  Fine, no big deal and didn't make any more work for me.  I gave all the cash to the brownie troop and only gave checks for the GS troop.  The next week - cash was missing from the GS cookie sales.  

I admit to being irked by one mom who really didn't understand her writing a check to cover the loss was letting the thief off the hook.  (because of how it was all being handled.  I dont' think it was the cookie mom herself who took the cash. but someone in that house did.)

Edited by gardenmom5

18 hours ago, katilac said:

My stepdad is a felon. Really great guy, just a really terrible childhood followed by poor choices in young adulthood.

1 minute ago, Slache said:

My stepdad is a felon. Really great guy, just a really terrible childhood followed by poor choices in young adulthood.

Yes, lots of felons are really great people. I truly believe that.  But when a felon in prison convinces one of his guards to help him escape……something is very wrong.

• Like 2

Just now, Scarlett said:

Yes, lots of felons are really great people. I truly believe that.  But when a felon in prison convinces one of his guards to help him escape……something is very wrong.

Yes, and in this case he’s not just a felon; he is a murderer.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Yes, but she mentioned people who don't help them escape, just marry them.

18 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Yes, and in this case he’s not just a felon; he is a murderer.

So is my dad.

Just now, Scarlett said:

Oh my.  So did your mom marry him when he was in prison?

Yes. He was fairly recently imprisoned at the time, but over the next 25 years he helped to build a scared strait program (bringing juvy kids to prison and giving them a tour of where they don't want to live) and founding an N.A. When he got there he was addicted to cocaine and thought he would have benefited from an N.A. He also obtained a bachelor's degree in prison. He was a great dad. He made me custom jewelry and taught me how to cook and tie my shoes. He's the reason I played sports and I'm good at board games. And why I never gave up being an artist.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Slache said:

Yes. He was fairly recently imprisoned at the time, but over the next 25 years he helped to build a scared strait program (bringing juvy kids to prison and giving them a tour of where they don't want to live) and founding an N.A. When he got there he was addicted to cocaine and thought he would have benefited from an N.A. He also obtained a bachelor's degree in prison. He was a great dad. He made me custom jewelry and taught me how to cook and tie my shoes. He's the reason I played sports and I'm good at board games. And why I never gave up being an artist.

What a beautiful post of redemption and love.  I am still puzzled by women who choose the path of marrying an imprison man.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

What a beautiful post of redemption and love.  I am still puzzled by women who choose the path of marrying an imprison man.  

He was supposed to get out when I was 5. Long story with political stuff. He's still in. But I can understand more knowing he was supposed to get out. He made me promise never to form a relationship with someone in prison.

• Like 1

He was supposed to get out when I was 5. Long story with political stuff. He's still in. But I can understand more knowing he was supposed to get out. He made me promise never to form a relationship with someone in prison.

That is fascinating. If you write a book I will buy it.  🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Slache said:

I'm sorry if I sound kind of awkward here -- this was not on my bingo card at all, and I'm honestly pretty shocked by it. 

So are you saying that your entire relationship with him has been while he was in prison? I'm also not clear if he's your biological father or your stepfather.

Please feel free to ignore my questions! I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable! 

• Like 1

I saw an article - there is some supposition he shot her, she didn't shoot herself.  Considering the reports of how ruthless he is (even a former cell mate of his said he's very ruthless) - I can believe that too.

I have been wondering why we believe the convicted murderer’s assertion she killed herself. 🙄 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Catwoman said:

I'm sorry if I sound kind of awkward here -- this was not on my bingo card at all, and I'm honestly pretty shocked by it. 

So are you saying that your entire relationship with him has been while he was in prison? I'm also not clear if he's your biological father or your stepfather.

Please feel free to ignore my questions! I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable! 

I'm completely open about him. He is my stepdad and they married when I was 3. He lives in California and I have never seen him outside of prison. They got divorced when I was 15 and we write but I haven't seen him since then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm completely open about him. He is my stepdad and they married when I was 3. He lives in California and I have never seen him outside of prison. They got divorced when I was 15 and we write but I haven't seen him since then.

So you definitely feel like you have a child/father relationship with him. 

6 minutes ago, lauraw4321 said:

I have been wondering why we believe the convicted murderer’s assertion she killed herself. 🙄 

I'm not sure what to believe at this point. I can see how either scenario could be true. 

The autopsy results should tell us what really happened.

• Like 1

Just now, Scarlett said:

Will he ever get out?

No. He's dying of mesothelioma from his time in the Navy.

1 minute ago, Catwoman said:

I'm not sure what to believe at this point. I can see how either scenario could be true. 

The autopsy results should tell us what really happened.

I can also see him convincing her to do it.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

No. He's dying of mesothelioma from his time in the Navy.

I can also see him convincing her to do it.

I doubt there was enough time for him to convince her to kill herself.

I think that, if she did it, it was because she couldn't face the humiliation and the prison time. If he pulled the trigger, it was because he didn't want her to be able to testify against him (although realistically, her testimony might not have mattered all that much, considering the charges he was already facing before the escape.)

I'm leaning toward it being suicide, but obviously, it's a total guess on my part. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I lean toward thinking it was self inflicted.  If he was going to kill her he would have done it soon after the escape.   It if she thought she was about to be captured….I can see her doing it. 

That's my thought process, as well. 

Clearly, he trusted her. He left her in the Cadillac when they were abandoning the truck at the car wash. She could have easily driven away and left him there. 

1 hour ago, Slache said:

He made me promise never to form a relationship with someone in prison.

Somebody can be a good person, and it can still be a bad idea to marry them. 

There are plenty of fundamentally good people in prison, but deliberately looking there for friendship or romance is puzzling to many (not saying that's what happened with your family, it's not even what happened in this case, speaking in generalities). 

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

I doubt there was enough time for him to convince her to kill herself.

I think that, if she did it, it was because she couldn't face the humiliation and the prison time. If he pulled the trigger, it was because he didn't want her to be able to testify against him (although realistically, her testimony might not have mattered all that much, considering the charges he was already facing before the escape.)

He was already in for 75 years, so probably not too worried about  adding a few years. 

I think she did it, for the reasons you stated. 

• Like 3