Menu

How to entertain Obama during a blizzard

Terabith

Laser pointer?

The little rings from the top of a juice or Gatorade bottle are highly prized toys for a little while here.  If he is treat oriented, your teens may be able to make him a maze or puzzle box with a small amazon box and some scrap cardboard.  Or use a larger box to create a cat house as something fun to distract him.  Holes to enter and exit with toys or fuzzy blankets to make it inviting.  Sprinkle cat nip inside if you have any and if Obama is interested in it.  

If you were closer, I would share the dozens of ping bong balls, jingle balls, yellow plastic golf balls, etc. that my 21 year old hid from the bratty cat here who needs a million toys.  She is back at college and I noticed her dresser drawer had a jingly sound when I put away the last of her winter break laundry.  So Castiel is getting a few of his noisier toys back every day.  In fairness to her, he does typically play with his annoying toys in her room on the wooden floor at 3 am, and she doesn't deal with his nonsense.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes, forts. Play silks are good for this, although claws aren’t good for play silks. It’s a conundrum. 

Also, you need to set up a Kitty spa. Out kitties’ favorite treatment is a brush massage with this brush. I realize your weather makes it hard to get out to buy that brush, but I’m linking so you’ll be prepared for next time. You’ll have to make do with what you have, I guess.

Do you have nip or meowijuana? All five of our cats like the nip, one likes the meowijuana sticks.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 1

Just now, Alte Veste Academy said:

Yes, forts. Play silks are good for this, although claws aren’t good for play silks. It’s a conundrum. 

Also, you need to set up a Kitty spa. Out kitties’ favorite treatment is a brush massage with this brush. I realize your weather makes it hard to get out to buy that brush, but I’m linking so you’ll be prepared for next time. You’ll have to make do with what you have, I guess.

Do you have nip or meowijuana? All four of ours like the nip, one likes the meowijuana sticks.

We do have lots of nip.  So far nothing compares to the Yeoww catnip.  It's definitely a name brand item at our house.  

• Thanks 1

When my cat was a young cat we would throw little foam cat balls. We amped it up by putting up obstacle courses and really bouncing those balls off the walls etc. 

Then when the 2nd cat got to be a young cat rather than a small kitten then we got Kitty City Play Cube Tunnel Cat Toy - Walmart.com type thing ( buy the cheapest you can find they will be destroyed). They would hide in them and "pounce" on the other one. We would also put a few in the room and go to town with a cat ribbon, Da Bird Feather Teaser, or anything stick with stuff at the end. They LOVE it if you act more like prey. Basically scurry around/near them, occasionally stop, try to hide and run away when caught. I learned from Jackson though at the end of the play session to give your cat a payout (meaning let them catch their prey). This helps signal the end of playtime and they don't continue to be amped up. 

Yes, we got two cats about 6 months apart in age. The youngest was 5months old when we got her.   

Conversely my MIL trains her cat to do tricks, like roll over. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, happi duck said:

We hide treats and then when kitty is chasing the red dot eventually the red dot lands on the treats and goes out so she's"caught" it.

I’m not a fan of laser pointers because it’s cruel that that there is no reward for the hunt. But this idea solves that problem— and sounds fun! 🙂 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mathnerd said:

Does he like watching Netflix?

12 hours ago, Terabith said:

Sadly, no.  Nor does he like the little cat ipad games.  

Cat TV?
Bird videos on YouTube are like crack to one of our kitties and must be rationed accordingly, but they can be a fantastic (if aggressively interactive…ahem) distraction on fussy days. 

He seems to have decided that the solution is just to go outside for short periods frequently and then come in and complain. It’s tricky because he really doesn’t like interactive play with us. So no laser pointer or Da Bird.  He doesn’t care about bird videos.  He doesn’t seem to recognize things on a screen as having any relevance, though I have certainly seen other cats that loved them.  

• Like 1

Put Obama in baby carrier.

Walk to pet store that claims to sell only one sex of rodents.

Narrate the whole way to support his cognitive development.

But a bunch of "female" rodents.  Pick a species that doesn't reproduce with any American animals.  Maybe gerbils?

On the way home, stop to buy bandaids to treat injuries you acquired in step one.  Get Obama's opinion on the best character bandaids.  

Let gerbils loose.

Find out that the people who sex pet store rodents are imperfect humans (good theology lesson)

Years of fun, I tell you!

• Haha 6

Go outside and, a few inches from his favorite window at ground level, build him a tiny snowman with scarf, eyes, hat, and baby carrot nose that can stare at and befuddle him. 

Get out his iPad and play him videos for cats. This one is the best. It has bird wing flapping sounds as the birds are flying away. It makes both my cat and my son’s cat jump up and look for the birds behind the iPad. While he’s lying down, calm, and about ready to fall asleep is the best time to get him interested. Don’t try when he’s up, hyper, and focused on ten other things at once.

• Thanks 1

Ooops, sorry. Just saw where you said he doesn’t like bird videos. Maybe make a cat fort/ tunnels and throw some catnip in. I cover my cat’s tunnels with blankets and leave just a small crack for an opening. When she goes in, I stick a long wand toy in and wiggle it around to get her to attack. 

• Like 1

We have an outside kitty who comes in and naps-on-laps when it’s cold…or rainy…or windy… (she’s not allowed free reign or on furniture because we have a kid with a cat allergy). 

Anyway, kitty seemed to *tolerate* being walked around the yard in the teens’ arms for about an hour this morning. A way to roam without the cold paws? Maybe Obama would like a (carried) tour of the yard? Now kitty is sleeping off the hard work inside. 🙂

Edited by alisoncooks

46 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Put Obama in baby carrier.

Walk to pet store that claims to sell only one sex of rodents.

Narrate the whole way to support his cognitive development.

But a bunch of "female" rodents.  Pick a species that doesn't reproduce with any American animals.  Maybe gerbils?

On the way home, stop to buy bandaids to treat injuries you acquired in step one.  Get Obama's opinion on the best character bandaids.  

Let gerbils loose.

Find out that the people who sex pet store rodents are imperfect humans (good theology lesson)

Years of fun, I tell you!

I sincerely hope these suggestions aren’t based on personal experience…🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Terabith said:

He seems to have decided that the solution is just to go outside for short periods frequently and then come in and complain.

Make sure you really listen and acknowledge his complaints though. Otherwise he'll be emotionally scarred for life. 😜

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Go outside and, a few inches from his favorite window at ground level, build him a tiny snowman with scarf, eyes, hat, and baby carrot nose that can stare at and befuddle him. 

Get out his iPad and play him videos for cats. This one is the best. It has bird wing flapping sounds as the birds are flying away. It makes both my cat and my son’s cat jump up and look for the birds behind the iPad. While he’s lying down, calm, and about ready to fall asleep is the best time to get him interested. Don’t try when he’s up, hyper, and focused on ten other things at once.

That is the nicest of the bird tv episodes that I've seen.  Unfortunately, Obama is completely disinterested.  

Well, I will say, when I went over to show it to him, he became interested in taking my formerly occupied seat.  

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Terabith said:

That is the nicest of the bird tv episodes that I've seen.  Unfortunately, Obama is completely disinterested.  

Well, I will say, when I went over to show it to him, he became interested in taking my formerly occupied seat.  

Musical chairs is the obvious solution.