Menu

Well-Trained Bodies-January

Ali in OR

Walked as usual last night, about 2.5K with the dog.

Took the dog out this morning for a brief ceremonial walk around the block (1.3K) then headed out to meet my friend to walk some trails. We did about 4.5 somewhat slow kilometers while chatting.

Husband and I had tickets to an event this afternoon that involved walking a good number of steps from the parking lot to the venue, so I am down to under 1,000 steps to go for the day. We'll see if the dog is willing to keep me company for another jaunt this evening.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 74.1 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 316 Days
South Lake/Lake Apopka Trail: 3 of 25.5 miles

• Like 6

Nothing even remotely interesting to report today. I took that extra walk with the dog last night, walked my usual 4K this morning and then spent about 15 minutes (woke up late, had an errand to run in the middle of the morning routine) on floor-based strength and stretching.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 79.8 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 317 Days

• Like 7

I'm babying my knee this week.  It's already much better than two days ago, but I know from experience not to push it.  So modified PJ sun salutations and another very short walk with the dog today, and I'll pull out my hand weights to do some upper body stuff for the rest of the week - I find that very dull, but it's something I can do at present.

• Like 7

Our dd's care provider is quarantining (no idea if she's sick or exposed) so I've lost early morning exercise time to morning care providing. Then dh has the bulk of the care while working from home. I will try for day 9 yoga tonight. I did get 4 done this weekend--days 5,6,7, and 8. And down 1 pound of 4 after one week of better eating.

• Like 7

Ugg. Sometimes living in the "Great White North" isn't very pleasant. It went from +1C yesterday to -19C today. Where's the consistancy? It's sunny, though, and I need fresh air so I'll brave the cold and get my dog walking in. 

On a happy note, my scale reads that I suddenly lost 3 pounds. That the kind of negative trending I appreciate! 😄

ETA: I got in 2 long walks today; one with the dog and the second without. The temps are supposed to drop dramatically again tomorrow, so I figured I should get outside before it gets scary cold. 🥶

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 7

21 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm babying my knee this week.  It's already much better than two days ago, but I know from experience not to push it.  So modified PJ sun salutations and another very short walk with the dog today, and I'll pull out my hand weights to do some upper body stuff for the rest of the week - I find that very dull, but it's something I can do at present.

Did you do anything in particular?

21 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Our dd's care provider is quarantining (no idea if she's sick or exposed) so I've lost early morning exercise time to morning care providing. Then dh has the bulk of the care while working from home. I will try for day 9 yoga tonight. I did get 4 done this weekend--days 5,6,7, and 8. And down 1 pound of 4 after one week of better eating.

How long will she be out? 

19 hours ago, wintermom said:

Ugg. Sometimes living in the "Great White North" isn't very pleasant. It went from +1C yesterday to -19C today. Where's the consistancy? It's sunny, though, and I need fresh air so I'll brave the cold and get my dog walking in. 

On a happy note, my scale reads that I suddenly lost 3 pounds. That the kind of negative trending I appreciate! 😄

ETA: I got in 2 long walks today; one with the dog and the second without. The temps are supposed to drop dramatically again tomorrow, so I figured I should get outside before it gets scary cold. 🥶

yuck! glad you are on the mind.

14 hours ago, Slache said:

I did not work out this weekend on purpose. Today was martial arts cardio. I forgot to weigh myself this morning! Grr.

I really need to start working out in the mornings. I've got major sleep issues right now.

sleep is a PITA, it would easier if we didn't need it!

• Like 6

Dh has covid and I'm feeling a bit ick (sinus stuff and a bit of fatigue). Guessing I have it too. Hope it doesn't get too bad. 

Sunday I did cardio and yesterday was upper body. Today is lower body- not sure if I'm going to try to do it this morning or later. I didn't sleep near enough and am so tired. 

• Sad 7

9 minutes ago, Soror said:

Dh has covid and I'm feeling a bit ick (sinus stuff and a bit of fatigue). Guessing I have it too. Hope it doesn't get too bad. 

Sunday I did cardio and yesterday was upper body. Today is lower body- not sure if I'm going to try to do it this morning or later. I didn't sleep near enough and am so tired. 

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon.

My knee? I felt it on a long walk but I  don't know what triggered it in particular.  It sometimes flares up.

• Like 3

@Slache I'm sorry about the sleep issues. I've been struggling with that for quite a while, too, and it's double-plus not fun.

I sat at my desk pretty much all day yesterday after the morning walk, which meant I was left with almost have of my daily steps to log on the evening walk. I did it, although the dog insisted on being dropped at home after only about the first kilometer.

Starting to feel like I am getting back into my pre-holiday routine here, though. Walked about 4.2K this morning, then did a full set of my standing strength and stretching exercises. 

Eventually, I still want to find some ways to introduce more variety, but for the moment I'll settle for just getting back to consistency.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 88.7 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 318 Days

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Soror said:

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you all recover quickly and only have mild cases. 

• Like 2

I woke up with a head-ache and sore throat. Don't want to face being sick any more. 😔 I was feeling so good these last few days. I had more energy than before Christmas. Now I'm feeling the tug back down into sickdom and I don't want to go.

It's also freezing cold again at -26 C and -34 with the windchill. I'm so glad I got in all that walking yesterday. 

• Sad 7

Thinking of you all dealing with sickness and injuries. I'm trying so hard to NOT get this (relying on N95's now) but it almost feels inevitable. Contact-traced for 2 students yesterday, another left class sick, another left after my class because brother had just tested positive, both my coworker and I have no childcare for 10 days---it just feels like a hurricane building, an avalanche picking up speed. My sense is that all schools everywhere, now that we finally have real spread, are saying "NO! We won't close! Open, open, open! No matter what!" At least until we run out of staff.

Oh, I'm just chatting. No exercise until tonight. And I need to go get dd up.

• Like 5

Hi guys, I'm back!  I had to duck out last week kuz of a bug.  Unfortunately I was pretty bad for a couple of days, then spotty for a few more, but I am hoping that's behind me.

So today, the kids are back in school, and I'm hoping to get "back to normal."  So far today I got out of bed (rather than hitting snooze 20 times), walked the pup, and ate an orange.  I couldn't do my morning yoga for a couple of reasons, but I'm hoping to get to it later.

We have a big client deadline this week, so I won't be able to get back to TKD until after that.  There is a belt clinic on Saturday that I might do, though it will be embarrassing since I remember nothing since my last class (it's been a number of weeks now).

• Like 8

Weights and core this morning. 🎉

I was super active on Saturday and Sunday but not in an officially-exercise way. I cleaned the whole house top to bottom and shifted a lot of boxes around, including up and down stairs. We had emptied the basement for mold remediation, painting, and new flooring. Dear friends who we have not seen in years visited, so that was the much-needed impetus to clean and organize. Sooooo good to see them!!! Refreshing, plus we now have a clean house. 😁

• Like 7

Today was HIIT with weights. I only got 13 minutes into a 30 minute workout but it was my first time doing this one and I'm on 4 hours of sleep. I did good. Tomorrow is a planned rest day.

9 hours ago, Soror said:

Delta knocked us out for 3 months. We didn't figure out it was covid until it was too late to test, but we are positive we were positive.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Just ran some errands on foot yesterday.  I plan to walk the dog today.  Knee is feeling much better, but I'm not pushing it.  I'm not sleeping well without exercise.

I have a couple of meetings this week for which I don't need to keep my camera on, so I'll stretch and use my hand weights during them.

Weight is down a bit - skipping breakfast and doubling up on protein at lunchtime.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, wintermom said:

I woke up with a head-ache and sore throat. Don't want to face being sick any more. 😔 I was feeling so good these last few days. I had more energy than before Christmas. Now I'm feeling the tug back down into sickdom and I don't want to go.

It's also freezing cold again at -26 C and -34 with the windchill. I'm so glad I got in all that walking yesterday. 

UGH!!! That is so not far, especially to get it while out for your booster.

14 hours ago, Slache said:

Today was HIIT with weights. I only got 13 minutes into a 30 minute workout but it was my first time doing this one and I'm on 4 hours of sleep. I did good. Tomorrow is a planned rest day.

Delta knocked us out for 3 months. We didn't figure out it was covid until it was too late to test, but we are positive we were positive.

HIIT while sleep deprived is rough! I heard Delta was very rough. I'm really hoping my recent booster holds up.

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Just ran some errands on foot yesterday.  I plan to walk the dog today.  Knee is feeling much better, but I'm not pushing it.  I'm not sleeping well without exercise.

I have a couple of meetings this week for which I don't need to keep my camera on, so I'll stretch and use my hand weights during them.

Weight is down a bit - skipping breakfast and doubling up on protein at lunchtime.

Huzzah on the weight loss! Having to rest is a pain, fingers crossed not much longer.

20 hours ago, SKL said:

Hi guys, I'm back!  I had to duck out last week kuz of a bug.  Unfortunately I was pretty bad for a couple of days, then spotty for a few more, but I am hoping that's behind me.

So today, the kids are back in school, and I'm hoping to get "back to normal."  So far today I got out of bed (rather than hitting snooze 20 times), walked the pup, and ate an orange.  I couldn't do my morning yoga for a couple of reasons, but I'm hoping to get to it later.

We have a big client deadline this week, so I won't be able to get back to TKD until after that.  There is a belt clinic on Saturday that I might do, though it will be embarrassing since I remember nothing since my last class (it's been a number of weeks now).

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

21 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Thinking of you all dealing with sickness and injuries. I'm trying so hard to NOT get this (relying on N95's now) but it almost feels inevitable. Contact-traced for 2 students yesterday, another left class sick, another left after my class because brother had just tested positive, both my coworker and I have no childcare for 10 days---it just feels like a hurricane building, an avalanche picking up speed. My sense is that all schools everywhere, now that we finally have real spread, are saying "NO! We won't close! Open, open, open! No matter what!" At least until we run out of staff.

I would be shocked if anything closes here It's a mess. Half of dh's office is out.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

Good morning.  Hope everyone is doing well today.  Checking in for accountability.  Starting the year keeping up with my workouts..  I have 35/100 walk/run miles in.  With the weather not sure I'll get to 100 by the 31 but I'll will keep pushing.

• Like 6

I held off on a nap yesterday (although I really wanted it) and slept all night. My sinus issues disappeared sometime yesterday (just felt slightly stuffy with itchy eyes). Energy level seems normal. I don't have any symptoms of anything right now. Dh has a small cough, joint pain, sporadic headache (was really bad), and fatigue. We'll see how he feels today. I'd feel a lot less worried if he'd had a booster! He's not had it bad but I worry about it going bad- especially with him being an overweight male. My younger 2 finished their first 2 shots in December. The youngest is perfectly fine. My middle daughter says she feels a little tired and her appetite has been off- like she gets full easily and doesn't want to eat as much. My older 2 are fine without symptoms thus far.

-lower body was a tough workout yesterday but I had to do it in sections due to my stupid schedule

-today upper body I got half done before my teaching so I'll get it done in only 2 sessions (much better than 4)-

Loving, loving this program

I didn't walk yesterday as I was so tired. I'm hoping for an easy one today. I'm not pushing myself too hard as I know my body is fighting the virus even if I dont' feel it.

• Like 5

Ugh.

Today was one of those days when I just with all my heart and soul did not want to get out of bed. I've been sleeping okay this week--more than I have for the last few weeks--but still waking up every morning feeling draggy and sore and just miserable about having to move and start the day.

Then I made the mistake of getting on the scale.

So, I went walking later than would have been ideal. I did get my 4K, just barely, but had to cut back on the normal Wednesday floor-based strength and stretching. I managed only 20 minutes before I had to head to my desk.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 97.1 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 319 Days

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I held off on a nap yesterday (although I really wanted it) and slept all night. My sinus issues disappeared sometime yesterday (just felt slightly stuffy with itchy eyes). Energy level seems normal. I don't have any symptoms of anything right now. Dh has a small cough, joint pain, sporadic headache (was really bad), and fatigue. We'll see how he feels today. I'd feel a lot less worried if he'd had a booster! He's not had it bad but I worry about it going bad- especially with him being an overweight male. My younger 2 finished their first 2 shots in December. The youngest is perfectly fine. My middle daughter says she feels a little tired and her appetite has been off- like she gets full easily and doesn't want to eat as much. My older 2 are fine without symptoms thus far.

I'm so glad you are feeling better! Your dh's symptoms sound like ours. My dh is an overweight male and not boostered (at least not able to benefit from the full effects of the booster shot), and he's doing very well. Two of our boys weren't boostered either. I don't know if the booster is actually having a significant effect beyond the initial 2 vaccines. I guess time and more cases will help find that out.

Hope your dh feels better soon and the rest of you stay negative!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Ugh.

Today was one of those days when I just with all my heart and soul did not want to get out of bed. I've been sleeping okay this week--more than I have for the last few weeks--but still waking up every morning feeling draggy and sore and just miserable about having to move and start the day.

I'm feeling exactly the same! So hard to get up and do anything. My head-ache is back, too, and it's not the sinus one. Urg! 

Hope your energy improves today!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I'm so sorry that you are in the trenches having to face this. Our schools are supposed to go back in-person next Monday, and I imagine the exact same things will start happening here. Omicron hasn't gone away yet. Big hugs to you and hope you are able to stay healthy!

• Like 4

On 1/8/2022 at 2:37 AM, Laura Corin said:

@GoVanGogh I see runners with dogs using a waist belt to attach the lead to. Would that be an option?

@wintermom lovely pictures! I finally understand that chickadees are similar to our coal tits. 

I have thought about trying a waist leash, but my dog isn’t always the most well trained. We graduated from obedience school but our trainer said my dog has so much hunting instinct in her… She catches the scent of something and is off on its trail. I did go for a mile walk with her on Monday and realized - she is terrified of my trekking poles! Which is actually a good thing, as it kept her restrained. I am hoping to get out today for another walk and see how we do. 

I worked out with my personal trainer on Monday, then did a spin class in the evening. Tuesday, I did a barbell class at the gym, followed by 1.5 miles in the treadmill. I am doing two hot yoga classes today, one this morning and one tonight. 

• Like 7

I am hopeful I might have fixed my lack of resolve. My Tues/Thurs schedule is what keeps me on track--I always do weights and core on those mornings. On the other days the plan is to take a walk or bike ride, and fit in more weights and core on the weekend sometime. But it's January and I often just don't want to face the cold outside, so I chicken out. Or I feel so busy that I never get around to it. Today, however, I went for my long walk immediately after lunch when dh and I normally get the mail. Since dh is working from home, he helps with the impetus to bundle up and get out there. We get the mail companionably together, after which he toddles back to work and I keep walking. We did this today and it worked really well!

• Like 6

Well, yesterday was a bust. When I went to get dd up she was in the middle of a seizure--never a good day when that happens--and she continued to have seizures throughout the day even with her emergency med. My stress level was sky high. Didn't make dinner, didn't exercise. Today was a much better day for her and I just finished Adriene's Day 10 at 9:10 at night.

• Sad 7

6 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Well, yesterday was a bust. When I went to get dd up she was in the middle of a seizure--never a good day when that happens--and she continued to have seizures throughout the day even with her emergency med. My stress level was sky high. Didn't make dinner, didn't exercise. Today was a much better day for her and I just finished Adriene's Day 10 at 9:10 at night.

I can only imagine ;( I hope today is at least better

• Like 1

Today is active rest- plan to do yoga and clean the car. I washed it yesterday.

Still feeling fine and sleeping well. Dh still feeling blah. Everyone else is fine except dd2 doesn't have much appetite.

ETA: yoga and core done- 30 min total

Edited by Soror
  • Like 6

@Ali in OR Oh man, I'm sorry. That sounds like an incredibly stressful day. I'm glad things seem to be looking up.

I worked late last night (like, until 10:00 pm late). It was my own fault, in that I have been having so much trouble maintaining focus and motivation during regular work hours that I got behind. I have a presentation to do today that I hadn't even started to prep for. So, my behind was in my work chair all evening.

I did force myself out the door to walk once I finished. I still had so many steps to log to meet my daily goal that I left the dog home so I could move at my own, quicker and more consistent pace. 

Got out of bed closer to "on time" this morning, walked just barely my 4K and then did about 30 minutes of strength and stretching, including a couple of minutes on the mini-trampoline.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 106.0 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 320 Days

• Like 6

@Ali in OR I hope your dd feels better today! So sorry to hear about yesterday. 

@Jenny in Florida All the best on your presentation today!! "Knock 'em alive!"

@Soror Glad you're feeling well and sleeping! I'm feeling blah like your dh. 

No exercise yesterday, and likely no exercise today. This head-ache and foggy head, with a slight touch of nausea, is making me pretty much incapacitated. I'd almost prefer to be horribly ill for a day or two and get it all over with at once. 

• Sad 6

Well I sort of fell off the rails this week. I’ve forced myself to row almost every day at least, for 30-35 minutes each morning. We finally got the heat in our exercise room fixed last night; it was 46F when I worked out yesterday  morning. Brr! This morning shouldn’t be quite so hard to get started, though I do like the cold after 5-10 minutes.  

This week we’ve had some gross rain/ ice and then a couple days of single digit temperatures which conspired to work against any motivation to get outside. I’ve felt extra tired and draggy as a result though; I really need the daylight this time of year, meager as it is.

DS catches the train to the airport this morning (😥) so I should be able to get myself into a better routine moving forward. My goal is 30 minutes of rowing plus 2 walks per day.  Usually DH and I walk together but he’s been on meetings all week; I need to get better at motivating myself to go alone when his work gets busy. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Well I sort of fell off the rails this week. I’ve forced myself to row almost every day at least, for 30-35 minutes each morning. We finally got the heat in our exercise room fixed last night; it was 46F when I worked out yesterday  morning. Brr! This morning shouldn’t be quite so hard to get started, though I do like the cold after 5-10 minutes.  

This week we’ve had some gross rain/ ice and then a couple days of single digit temperatures which conspired to work against any motivation to get outside. I’ve felt extra tired and draggy as a result though; I really need the daylight this time of year, meager as it is.

DS catches the train to the airport this morning (😥) so I should be able to get myself into a better routine moving forward. My goal is 30 minutes of rowing plus 2 walks per day.  Usually DH and I walk together but he’s been on meetings all week; I need to get better at motivating myself to go alone when his work gets busy. 

Awww, that will be hard for you (but easier for your routine).

13 hours ago, wintermom said:

I managed to somehow summon the energy to take the dog for a walk. I was a lovely evening - not too cold and no wind. It was nice to get outdoors again. I'm feeling slightly cabin feaverish. 

I bet as much as you are used to being outside.

• Like 4

Still haven't succumbed to Covid. I felt tired at times yesterday, not overly so but some. A tiny bit of stuffiness part of the day.

Cleaned the van and truck for 3 hrs yesterday. They are looking about as good as they can considering they are 17 and 20 yrs old! 

Today is full body strength training.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, wintermom said:

That's fabulous! Is it just your dh with Covid, or have others in the house tested positive? 

Hope you all stay healthy and dh recovers quickly. 

I still have daily head-aches. It's draining. 

Thanks! None of the rest of us have tested. Testing is not easy to come by and I haven't taken a home test yet as I wanted to wait a good while after exposure. I think I will test some time today.

No one else has any symptoms except dd2's appetite has been diminished and she says she is a bit tired (not tired enough that I can notice).

• Like 3

Just now, Soror said:

Thanks! None of the rest of us have tested. Testing is not easy to come by and I haven't taken a home test yet as I wanted to wait a good while after exposure. I think I will test some time today.

No one else has any symptoms except dd2's appetite has been diminished and she says she is a bit tired (not tired enough that I can notice).

Tests are limited here, too. Glad you're all doing well, whether it's Covid or not (hopefully not). 

• Like 2

I had taken a short walk yesterday afternoon to burn off some left-over adrenaline after completing a presentation for work, so I didn't need a ton of steps by the time rolled around for the evening walk. (A nice change from the last few days.)

Got up not too late this morning and logged just barely my 4K, then did about 30 minutes on the floor with strength and stretching stuff.

Honestly, I'm so bored with my routine, but I feel kind of powerless to expand my exercise repertoire. Between my physical limitations and, you know, the global pandemic, I just can't seem to glom onto anything else I could do regularly. 

So, I'll take another walk this evening.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 114.4 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 321 Days

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I had taken a short walk yesterday afternoon to burn off some left-over adrenaline after completing a presentation for work, so I didn't need a ton of steps by the time rolled around for the evening walk. (A nice change from the last few days.)

Got up not too late this morning and logged just barely my 4K, then did about 30 minutes on the floor with strength and stretching stuff.

Honestly, I'm so bored with my routine, but I feel kind of powerless to expand my exercise repertoire. Between my physical limitations and, you know, the global pandemic, I just can't seem to glom onto anything else I could do regularly. 

So, I'll take another walk this evening.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 114.4 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 321 Days

If it’s any consolation, you’ve been really inspirational to me!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I got out for a 10 minute walk in the -28C with windchill temps. Yikes that wind is bracing! I think a triple-layer mask would have been more useful to wear than my thin buff/neck warmer. At least I got out there and my eyes soaked up a little vitamin D sunshine (everything else was covered up). 😄

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I got out for a 10 minute walk in the -28C with windchill temps. Yikes that wind is bracing! I think a triple-layer mask would have been more useful to wear than my thin buff/neck warmer. At least I got out there and my eyes soaked up a little vitamin D sunshine (everything else was covered up). 😄

Ouch!  I use my merino Buff indoors and layer a woolen scarf over it for outside on a cold day.  But I'm not a weather-tempered Canadian.

Today: ran errands on foot and took a short walk on level ground.

• Like 5