Menu

Well-Trained Bodies-January

Ali in OR

I already did Day 21 yoga on Tuesday, but I went back to fill in Day 20 yoga today. I enjoyed it after several days off of yoga--it was nice to have it as a treat instead of a daily chore. I will still complete days 22-30 but not as a daily practice.

I think we have a cold but beautifully clear day ahead of us. I'm thinking of getting dd out to a wheelchair-accessible trail--trying to research what's available locally that we haven't done before. I have all my semester final tests ready to go for Monday/Tuesday, so this weekend is the calm before the grading storm.

• Like 6

As expected, it was pretty chilly here this morning (by Florida standards), although not as cold as some forecasts had suggested. My phone told me it was about 42 degrees when I headed out to walk. I hadn't left myself time for a full 4K, but I managed about 3.5K before I had to drive my bonus YA to work. When I got home, I did one of Adriene's 20-minute beginner yoga videos. 

I am now sitting on the bed, because the dog insisted, perusing maps and figuring out where I need to park and have my husband drop me so I can do my weekly longer training walk along the trail this afternoon. It's breezy and cool, but sunny, and I am enjoying my current audiobook. So it should be a good walk.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 242.1 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 336 Days
South Lake/Lake Apopka Trail: 3 of 25.5 miles

• Like 6

@Jenny in Florida I read about frozen iguanas falling from trees in Florida during your cold spell! 😞 Poor things! 

Not many walkers in my neighborhood today, and those who are out are mostly accompanied by their dogs. The people look miserable but the dogs seem playful— most are bundled in cozy coats. 🙂. I feel like a slacker, but I’d rather stay in with the kitties than brave the elements today. #teamcat 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

We made it out of the house today. We took dd on a little outing to a wildlife refuge. It's a winter home for thousands of Canada Geese. As we were walking back to the car many V's of geese flew over us, honking loudly. Dd was pretty happy.

IMG_0003.JPG

Gorgeous lighting! 

• Like 4

Well, the afternoon walk was a total bust. My daughter called to catch up and was on the phone with my husband for over an hour. (Which was good, given that I haven't had the mental/emotional energy to chat with her this week, but it meant leaving the house later than I would have liked.) Then we had a glitch with Google Maps sending us to the wrong address/or my husband somehow putting in the wrong address for the parking lot where I planned to leave my car. We spent 30-ish minutes driving in circles trying to locate the right place -- or any place where I could safely park my car while I walked -- only to finally figure out that construction in the area meant there was no parking near the trailhead. By that point, my husband (who hates driving, especially in unfamiliar areas) was clearly really done, even though he was trying to be kind. And even if we had found a place to park my car, he still would have had to shuttle me to yet another unfamiliar location to drop me so I could start my walk. It was by then a lot later than I really like to tackle a long walk. So, I called it off and we drove home.

Truthfully, it took a lot out of me, and I have decided to drop the trail walking project for now.

I did get out for my regular evening walk to top off steps.

Walked again this morning (the usual 4K), in chilly but clear and pretty weather.

I have errands to run in downtown Orlando this afternoon, so my current plan is to do my walking around the lake at the main park. It'll be less interesting than the trail would have been, but different from my usual walks around the neighborhood. 

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 250.2 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 337 Days

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, wintermom said:

Hey! I can finally do some strength work (push-ups, etc.)! I just didn't have the energy to try for the last 4 weeks. My motivation to eat better has improved a lot, too. 

Woot! Progress!

15 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

We made it out of the house today. We took dd on a little outing to a wildlife refuge. It's a winter home for thousands of Canada Geese. As we were walking back to the car many V's of geese flew over us, honking loudly. Dd was pretty happy.

IMG_0003.JPG

I'm jealous you still have some green grass!

• Like 4

I was not feeling it yesterday. I think I had been pushing a bit much and needed a lazy day. I binged Master Chef a lot. I finally dragged myself out of the house at 4:40 for a walk and managed a 75 minute barely making it in before it was too dark. 

Dumbbell HIIT this am - 35 min

I finally had the nerve to take some progress pics, my first one in 5 months. I was happy to see, at least in the photos, I've not lost as much progress as I'd feared. (now that is a month into getting back into exercising more intensely and eating better). Hoping to start making some forward progress again. 

Planning a walk this evening.

This will be-

10 Consecutive day- outside walking - I'm just a little behind @Jenny in Florida🤣

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Does shoveling and tromping through snow count? 🤣

Absolutely. 

Lovely pictures @wintermom and @Ali in OR!

Just my normal walk and yogas today, but I did a small amount of work in the garden, which felt good. The snowdrops and primroses are in bloom. Tomorrow I'll do a little rowing again. 

• Like 6

I went for a skate ski on the trails I usually hike and feed birds. The trails are not groomed for skiing, though the fat bikes usually pack the snow down wonderfully for my purposes. I did fall once, due to the unevenness of the trail and landed hard on my bottom. The extra padding I've acquired from Covid was very helpful!! No injury sustained. 😅

IMG_20220130_141313834.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Hello all.  Checking in.  I didn't quite make my walk/run goal I got a bit over half the miles. We had a lot of winter weather this month.  I did get in most of my workouts.  Our hotel at the beach had a really nice workout room facing the ocean so I took advantage of that while on vacation.    Hope everyone is doing well.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, lynn said:

Hello all.  Checking in.  I didn't quite make my walk/run goal I got a bit over half the miles. We had a lot of winter weather this month.  I did get in most of my workouts.  Our hotel at the beach had a really nice workout room facing the ocean so I took advantage of that while on vacation.    Hope everyone is doing well.

Have a great time--

Another 75 min walk yesterday. Today, I'll probably not get in as long of a walk since we have school and I want to vacuum my car and wash dh's truck since the weather will be nice. Might do a bit of work outside too.

Strength training today- legs-50 min total- going to be a rough as always- leg day always takes so much energy

Now, I'm going to try and get a bit more sleep as I woke up at 3- it's 5:30 now. I did a bit of cleaning since I couldn't sleep anyway. My period is due very soon so I'd guess that is the reason for the interrupted sleep last night. For the most part sleep has been great other than some random nights- even then I haven't had a really bad night in ages.

• Like 4

Yesterday's afternoon walk didn't go quite as planned, either. I ran my errands and thought I had left myself plenty of time to walk at the park . . . and then my bonus YA needed to be picked up from work earlier than originally planned. I still got in about 5K, but not the official 3.5 miles/5.6K I had intended.

Walked my usual 4K this morning, then spent about 25 minutes on the exercise mat with the 5-pound weights. 

The weather this morning was still pretty chilly for Florida, with frost on the grass and mist on the water. Pretty, though.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 260.5 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 338 Days

Untitled presentation (31).jpg

• Like 5

Physically, I feel like January is ending about the same way it started.  So much for all the goals and plans, LOL.  I hurt myself doing various kinds of exercise, so then I had to slow down.  And now I'm back to being too busy on deadlines to eat and drink right.  😛  But I don't think I got any worse.  😛

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Yesterday's afternoon walk didn't go quite as planned, either. I ran my errands and thought I had left myself plenty of time to walk at the park . . . and then my bonus YA needed to be picked up from work earlier than originally planned. I still got in about 5K, but not the official 3.5 miles/5.6K I had intended.

Walked my usual 4K this morning, then spent about 25 minutes on the exercise mat with the 5-pound weights. 

The weather this morning was still pretty chilly for Florida, with frost on the grass and mist on the water. Pretty, though.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 260.5 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 338 Days

Untitled presentation (31).jpg

Gorgeous photos! It looks so peaceful (I’m pretending there aren’t alligators in that water tho…🤣).

I’m in such awe that it’s technically the same season in Florida as it is up here! We don’t ever get the kind of lighting you do, I don’t think. It’s lovely. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SKL said:

Physically, I feel like January is ending about the same way it started.  So much for all the goals and plans, LOL.  I hurt myself doing various kinds of exercise, so then I had to slow down.  And now I'm back to being too busy on deadlines to eat and drink right.  😛  But I don't think I got any worse.  😛

Sometimes "not worse" is the best you can achieve.

• Like 3

30 min on the treadmill this morning.

Weight is up a bit--not sure if that's yesterday's eating or that time of the month or both. I guess the best accomplishment of January is getting off the sugar habit, though that wasn't an intentional goal. In eating fewer calories and trying to make every calorie count, there was just less sugar. And you do that long enough you can drop the craving--I think that's where I am now. I usually drop sugar for Lent, and that felt impossible at the beginning of the month. Now it's, oh sure, I can do that again. I don't even know when Lent begins this year...

• Like 5

Not sure when I posted last. I did weights and core on Thursday as per usual. We headed out of town Thursday night to say Happy Birthday to dd and visit a niece along the way. We were lazy together on Friday, then on Saturday we enjoyed a really cold trip to the zoo. The temperature was in the teens. The advantage is that we had the whole place almost entirely to ourselves. It was also good to get in plenty of walking both at the zoo and also touring around the school where dd works. Drove home yesterday, so no real exercise then. Today it's sunny and pretty, so I think I really must force myself outside to do a couple laps on the lane.

• Like 5