Menu

Well-Trained Bodies-January

Ali in OR

I got out for a long walk with the dog. It's pretty slow slogging through the snow with heavy boots on, so I'm noting this walk as moderate-intensity. We got more snow this morning and not all the sidewalks were completely cleared. 

I also did a little shoveling for upper-body and core work. 😉 

• Like 6

I did part of my "yoga etc." routine a second time, slower, to make up for this morning being rushed.  Also did a wee bit of TKD practice.  And now I'm pedaling my fitesk.

I think I'll also count the extra housework I wasn't expecting today - mainly cleaning up after the electrician's projects.  Should I also count the stretching I did cleaning out under my car seats?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

@MEmama Yikes! That's pretty scary. Big hugs to you through this process.

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I hope you hear from your doctor @MEmama.

Every day this week is the same - pj sun salutations,  short walk avoiding hills, twenty-minute careful yoga. A bit boring, but better than last week.

Thanks. The nurse called back and told me to just take my BP every morning and they’ll check back in a week. Weird! I feel fine so I don’t know what to make of it. 🤷‍♀️

She didn’t say not to exercise though, so I’ll just keep on doing what I can. 

• Like 5

I did a Jessica Smith workout this morning--Cardio Boogie Bootcamp. Again, it was good to get back to cardio. I should do yoga tonight--not sure if that will actually happen. Also need to still eat dinner, get trash collected and out to curb, and plan my Algebra 1 lesson for tomorrow.

• Like 6

Actually managed to stick to my plan and do about 20 minutes of strength and stretching on my lunch break yesterday before grabbing a quick shower and nuking a cup-of-noodles to eat at my desk. I then got steps in mid-day by walking up to the vet to collect my dog's refill (and also the cat's ashes, which I had been putting off and which made the walk home a lot sadder than the walk there). Topped it all off with the usual evening walk, which put me well over my minimum step count for the first time in a while.

Did more or less the usual walk this morning (4.4K) followed by a short strength and stretching set. 

Below is my view from the yoga mat today.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 166.4 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 327 Days
South Lake/Lake Apopka Trail: 3 of 25.5 miles

IMG_20220119_122326704_HDR.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I know, I'm sounding just like a broken record here. It's -28C with the windchill this morning. The "high" (if you want to call it that) is supposed to be -15. The darn sun is shining, too. I'm going to start blaming these cold temps on the sun! 🥶

You know I'm going to go out there, though. I can't help it. Cabin fever forces me outside. Just send me some warm throughts, please... 

Photos of green grass are helpful, too. 😉 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 6

@wintermom We have several places in our area that offer goat yoga, and I would love to do it . . . if only I took yoga. One of my very favorite experiences in the world is being climbed on and snuggled by animals (and young children -- I was always the mom who was down on the floor letting the kids use her as play equipment). 

• Like 6

@Jenny in Florida I’m sorry to hear about your kitty. 😞. Your yoga helpers are adorable!

@wintermom goat yoga is very popular here, too. I can’t wrap my head around the appeal but the photos sure are cute! Have you tried it? Our local animal shelter hosted cat yoga in the beforetimes, somehow that’s more appealing to me —though probably just as challenging and silly! 🙂 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

@MEmama Thanks for the condolences. Piggers died a few weeks ago, just before Christmas, so we're adjusting (although we still miss him, of course). We haven't ever before brought home a pet's ashes, but I just felt like we should this time. The little paw print they included was the thing that really hit me.

We lost our dog over 20 years ago and still have his ashes in our bedroom. I think he’d be happier in the ocean, but we just can’t bring ourselves to let go yet. Losing a pet is much harder than non- pet people know. 😞 

Edited by MEmama
Forgot a word and made no sense 🤣
  • Like 3

That yoga view is a lot like mine! Labrador on the sofa, cat often under it but today he was on the end of my mat in front of the fireplace. Which wasn't even on. Did Day 19 yoga today because it was shorter than Day 18. Maybe I'll get to that tonight (yeah, right). Thursday is usually dumbbell day, but shoulder/arm still hurts, so no weights.

• Like 5

On 1/19/2022 at 8:11 AM, wintermom said:

It's -26 C with the windchill and snowing, but it's supposed to warm up to -1 C by the afternoon. I'll wait a few hours before heading out for a walk. 😉

I had an extremely unhealthy "January Meal" for dinner last night; potato chips and cookies. I've sunk to the depths of comfort food dependency. It's going to be a once-only meal, though. Time to get back on track. At least I didn't include wine and/or soda. It could have been worse. 😅

Onwards and upwards! Some days are like that!

On 1/19/2022 at 2:40 PM, MEmama said:

30 minute row this morning.

I’m hoping to get out for a walk this afternoon but I’m waiting on a call from my doctor, who might want me to come right in to her office. I just came back from an appointment at the women’s health clinic and got the news I need a full hysterectomy for my fibroids and enlarged uterus, but when they took my blood pressure they were concerned with how crazy high it is all of a sudden. I've always had great BP but problems do run in my family so I’ll need to get that remedied ASAP. The nurse at my GP's office was surprised the clinic let me go home! 😳 So I guess my goal for tonight is to not have a stroke or heart attack. Huh.

At least the hysterectomy is good news— I can’t wait to not feel 5 months pregnant. 

(hugs) fingers crossed the bp is just a fluke and goes down shortly.

23 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Actually managed to stick to my plan and do about 20 minutes of strength and stretching on my lunch break yesterday before grabbing a quick shower and nuking a cup-of-noodles to eat at my desk. I then got steps in mid-day by walking up to the vet to collect my dog's refill (and also the cat's ashes, which I had been putting off and which made the walk home a lot sadder than the walk there). Topped it all off with the usual evening walk, which put me well over my minimum step count for the first time in a while.

Did more or less the usual walk this morning (4.4K) followed by a short strength and stretching set. 

Below is my view from the yoga mat today.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 166.4 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 327 Days

IMG_20220119_122326704_HDR.jpg

Awwww, love the adorable animals!

• Like 4

I'm going to try a workout today (wish me luck). I felt like I'd be up to it yesterday but didn't want to push my luck. I used to push myself way too much but have been trying to be incredibly cautious these days.Trying to decide what to try.... I think I'll do the scheduled full body strength.

I had a bit of a random cough Wed afternoon but it seems to have went away. Crossing my fingers that I'm nearly done with this. I never did test pos for Covid and have no more tests left (and can't find any more). Dd tested pos, she started symptoms after me but hers were considerably worse- body aches, a low grade fever for a day, and much more congestion. She's on the mend now too. Thankfully they were out of school until today she she didn't miss a bunch of school.

I measured myself today. I am not happy! I hadn't really weighed or measured since August. At that point I had gotten a little thinner than I wanted and decided I needed to step off the scale so I could work on building muscle without worrying about the weight gain. But then came the issues with my thyroid med- which has since been changed 4 times I think. Sigh. I knew I had put on more weight than I wanted and as it goes you don't just put on muscle but also fat. Anyway, now that I seem to (*knock* on wood) have found a good med combo I'm trying to lean back down a bit. My appetite is not so crazy anymore. Eating still isn't as good as I'd like but getting there. I love my workouts with Caroline (caroline girvan- free on youtube- mostly strength training). What I need is more active time outside of my workouts- more walking, more time working around the house/in the yard etc.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 6

@Soror Glad you checked in again! We've missed you. Hope you shake all those lingering symptoms soon. I know they are weird and frustrating. Hope your dd feels a lot better soon, too. How is your dh doing? Big hugs to you all! I may try out your highly recommended Caroline strength videos. I could used some help to gain back some muscle strength. 

• Like 2

Another update on all the "fun" you are missing by not living in my town. It's -31C with the windchill this morning with a balmy "promised" high of -17C.  So the translation, probably not required, is that it's freezing cold and stay inside. If you are crazy enough to step outside, bundle up or you'll be sorry. 🥶

• Like 4

@wintermom You are one hardy soul. I was cranky having to step outside for a walk this morning when my phone told me it was "only" 50F. (It's possible I have lived in Florida for too long.)

Nothing new or different here. I broke the steps for yesterday into three walks. This morning, I walked about 4.5K and then did a full set of floor-based strength and stretching. 

I'm starting to get a little concerned because I feel like I may be losing some ground in the "strength" category. Instead of bumping up to the 8-pound weights I bought a couple of months ago in preparation for when I would "need" them, I am actually struggling just to keep up my usual reps with the 5 pounders. And I find myself looking for excuses not to use the resistance bands on my feet and legs, because it's really hard and I have to take a lot of breaks just to finish the same number of reps I could do without a problem before.

Trying to decide whether this is worthy of calling the doctor about or if it can just wait until my next scheduled check-up in June.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 176.1 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 328 Days

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

@wintermom You are one hardy soul. I was cranky having to step outside for a walk this morning when my phone told me it was "only" 50F. (It's possible I have lived in Florida for too long.)

Nothing new or different here. I broke the steps for yesterday into three walks. This morning, I walked about 4.5K and then did a full set of floor-based strength and stretching. 

I'm starting to get a little concerned because I feel like I may be losing some ground in the "strength" category. Instead of bumping up to the 8-pound weights I bought a couple of months ago in preparation for when I would "need" them, I am actually struggling just to keep up my usual reps with the 5 pounders. And I find myself looking for excuses not to use the resistance bands on my feet and legs, because it's really hard and I have to take a lot of breaks just to finish the same number of reps I could do without a problem before.

Trying to decide whether this is worthy of calling the doctor about or if it can just wait until my next scheduled check-up in June.

I probably also find 50F chilly, while -31 is bitterly cold. My mind and body are somewhat conditioned for colder temps now, but it's not really a voluntary conditioning. More an act of despiration. 😉

If you wanted to bump up to your 8lb weights, try reducing the reps you do with the 8lb to start with. You want to make the jump eventually, and if you are pretty comfortable with 5lb you should be able to do 8lb without injuring yourself. Just start with really low reps after the bump up.

• Like 4

38.5 minute row (had to finish the episode of Queer Eye 🤣. I'm finding it great motivation! Lol)

Just one walk today. DH kept thinking he would have a chance to take work breaks so I would wait, but then he would get busy. My fault for not just going by myself. 

I'm checking my BP in the mornings. It’s been high for me but not scary like at the clinic. Still, I’m supposing they’ll have to get it down before I can have the surgery. High BP runs in my family— I beat genetics much longer than my siblings did, but I guess maybe I’ve run out of luck. Grrr. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

38.5 minute row (had to finish the episode of Queer Eye 🤣. I'm finding it great motivation! Lol)

Just one walk today. DH kept thinking he would have a chance to take work breaks so I would wait, but then he would get busy. My fault for not just going by myself. 

I'm checking my BP in the mornings. It’s been high for me but not scary like at the clinic. Still, I’m supposing they’ll have to get it down before I can have the surgery. High BP runs in my family— I beat genetics much longer than my siblings did, but I guess maybe I’ve run out of luck. Grrr. 

Glad your BP is staying in a safer zone. Did you feel stressed when they measured your BP at the clinic? Finding out you need major surgery is pretty stressful. All the best with the upcoming surgery and your BP. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Glad your BP is staying in a safer zone. Did you feel stressed when they measured your BP at the clinic? Finding out you need major surgery is pretty stressful. All the best with the upcoming surgery and your BP. 

Thanks! Weirdly, I’m not really nervous about the surgery (except being in a hospital during covid). It’s been so long since I’ve felt not unwell that I’m just glad it can happen soon. I’d do it tomorrow if I could. 
Given my genetics I shouldn’t be surprised about the BP, even though I’ve had it checked recently and it was fine (if not my normal). I kinda wonder if it’s possible that it’s connected to the inflammation of my uterus. 

• Like 3

I am low on sleep due to a fatal combination of work deadlines and caffeine. I am having a harder time shaking off the caffeine than usual--when I get sleep, it's been very shallow, which means I am moving soooooo slooooooow on work because my brain is simply not firing well. I am hoping to turn in the project tonight and spend the weekend purging off the caffeine. For today, I decided to not pressure myself to do anything more than PT stuff and a good nap.

Tomorrow's goal is a walk in the morning--hopefully getting sun on my skin and eyes early will help me get back on a normal schedule. And PT stuff as always.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

On 1/21/2022 at 8:22 AM, Jenny in Florida said:

I find gaining strength to be a very long and tedious process. I've lost strength this fall from where I was this summer. And I regularly lifted weights 4x a week (usually 40 min+), not easy workouts either. But with my meds messed up and lacking in energy I'd too often have to back down in weights b/c I couldn't push myself like I needed to gain strength. Or I couldn't do as many reps, as much range, etc. To actually gain strength I have to constantly pushing just a little bit harder- which is a fine line to watch when trying to avoid injury. I think the thyroid issues have something to do with it, and we know hormones play a role too. I find it a very worthwhile goal to work on strength because we lose it so easily as we age but it is long slow work.

16 hours ago, MEmama said:

I know I always read higher at the dr's office, white coat syndrome is real. exercise and diet can both help improve bp, considering you are working on the exercise end I'd be seeing if you can't have some effect on it without medication.

11 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I am low on sleep due to a fatal combination of work deadlines and caffeine. I am having a harder time shaking off the caffeine than usual--when I get sleep, it's been very shallow, which means I am moving soooooo slooooooow on work because my brain is simply not firing well. I am hoping to turn in the project tonight and spend the weekend purging off the caffeine. For today, I decided to not pressure myself to do anything more than PT stuff and a good nap.

Tomorrow's goal is a walk in the morning--hopefully getting sun on my skin and eyes early will help me get back on a normal schedule. And PT stuff as always.

Good luck getting off the caffeine- that is a horrible cycle. I don't intake much caffeine (except in chcolate) but sometimes get in the cycle of napping when I don't sleep well and it can take a bit to get it lined out. It is so easy to get out of whack, much harder to get on track.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I did get my workout in yesterday--- I did a full body strength workout- 50 min (with warm-up).

I could tell my energy was lagging some. I took 2 breaks and went down on weights. In the afternoon I got in a short, easy walk. Woot!

This morning I was feeling even better- around 90% I think. I did the cardio workout I missed last Sunday (40 min). It was Tabata Hiit 20 sec on/10 sec off. I did not aim for high-intensity but low to moderate. I did modifications and really slowed down but aimed to stay moving. 

After that I ate breakfast and did the arm workout I missed on Tuesday (50ish min). I still kept the weight a bit lower than usual and found it the right level of challenging without being too hard. I didn't take any breaks with my workouts today- although I had at least 30 minutes in between the 2.

I still have 2 lower body workouts I missed- I'm going to try and do one of those tomorrow. 

Hoping for a walk today too, maybe further. 

@wintermom I'm with you on the sun, it makes such a difference. It has been colder than usual here but at least the sun is out. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 7

End of the school week was busy and stressful as usual. I get a lot of planning done over the weekend which carries me through a few days, but Wednesday nights and Thursday nights can be rough. Anyway, I did do 30 min on the treadmill yesterday morning (no time to check in here) and today I went back and did Day 18 of yoga. Still behind a bit--need to do days 20 and 21. I gained weight this week which I am not happy about, so I'm trying to see if a careful weekend can at least make Monday's weigh-in about the same as last week. Cold and gray here, but at least we saw the sun yesterday afternoon.

• Like 6

A gentle walk in a nearby port town that turned into a bit of an industrial history tour. Along with ancient harbours and an abandoned railway, I happened across two decommissioned lighthouses, both built in 1823 by Robert Stevenson, grandfather of Robert Louis. Both the lighthouses are now in the gardens of private houses - former lighthouse-keeper cottages. 

I'll do some light yoga in a bit. I'm taking ibuprofen to try to get my knee inflammation under control - normally I just rest it, but that's not working. 

20220122_154146.jpg

20220122_154811.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Did three walks again yesterday to log my steps. 

This morning was a little bit of a mess. According to my training schedule, I'm supposed to do my long walk for each week on Saturdays, and today should have been 3.5 miles. I calculated my time incorrectly, though, and ran out of time before I had to drive my bonus YA to work. It was also chilly, breezy and damp, so neither the dog nor I were super happy to be out there. We made it alllllllmmoooossst 4K.

I finally gave into the hype and decided to try a Yoga with Adriene intro video. It wasn't pretty, but I will give it a few more tries. 

My husband and I have plans that will keep us out most of tomorrow. It'll likely be lots of steps, but slow and rambling. So I'm still hoping to get my long walk in sometime today. I have a bunch of work to catch up on, but will try to head out later this afternoon, weather permitting.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 183.7 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 329 Days

• Like 7

I went out for a walk in the woods this afternoon. The sun came out for part of it, which was nice. My legs got cold, but the rest of my body was fine. Next time I'll wear my extra-warm fleeced lined pants instead of the little-bit-warm fleece lined pants. 😄

It felt really good to walk in the woods with peace and quiet, and no traffic sounds. 

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, MEmama said:

30 minute row this morning. I’m really enjoying this routine.

One walk in the neighborhood. We meant to get out more but the kitties kept snuggling us on the couch and luring is into naps. How can anyone say no to that?

438BFCD8-18BE-4577-B231-3DACBF95E549.jpeg

What an adorable kitty! Who could resist suggling with it.

• Like 3

Got in my (short) walk yesterday and am feeling good. I slept well the last 2 nights, which really helps. 8 hrs uninterrupted!!!!

Today's exercise plan: 1 lower body workout +1/3-1/2 of another (depending on how it's going- I have 2 lower body workouts I missed last week - I know that 2 whole lower body workouts at a time- so I'm splitting it up to do on other lower body days).

Another walk- weather is supposed to be warmer today, although not as sunny. Most of the week is then colder than average(although not as cold as wintermom's weather) so better enjoy it now. I'll be glad for warmer temps and more daylight so I can walk in the mornings.

• Like 4

The shortness of breath I've been experiencing all week seems to have faded away. These Covid symptoms I've experienced have been like the "special" of the week; week 1 massive sore throat, week 2 muscle ache, week 3 head-ache, week 4 shortness of breath. I really hope that there is no week 5! 😨

My plan is to go for a short skate ski today. The temps have improved to -11C (12F), which is much more acceptable. I don't want to overdo it, but I'm iching to get out skiing. 

• Like 4

I went for a skate ski and it ended up being pure torture! It is really cold, so the snow is slow. My body is not in great shape, either. I had to take lots of rests, and my lungs were "burning" most of the time. Perhaps I tired to do too much, but at least it didn't appear to actually kill me. I've recovered pretty quickly and haven't colapsed or anything. 😅

• Like 4

I did my weekly long walk late yesterday afternoon. It wouldn't win my any records for speed, but I got it done. 

This morning, I had time for only 2.5K with the dog before my husband and I needed to get out the door. We went to visit the manatees at Blue Spring Park. What with the cold weather, they have had record numbers of manatees hanging out on and off for the last few weeks. Today, there were more than 600; I've never seen that many in one place before. (I love manatees.) And the park is just lovely year-round. We walked another 4K-ish up and down the boardwalk oohing and ahhing and pointing at the manatees.

That leaves me with an entirely manageable 2.5K of walking to finish off my steps this evening.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 191.9 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 330 Days

IMG_20220123_101705283.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I did my weekly long walk late yesterday afternoon. It wouldn't win my any records for speed, but I got it done. 

This morning, I had time for only 2.5K with the dog before my husband and I needed to get out the door. We went to visit the manatees at Blue Spring Park. What with the cold weather, they have had record numbers of manatees hanging out on and off for the last few weeks. Today, there were more than 600; I've never seen that many in one place before. (I love manatees.) And the park is just lovely year-round. We walked another 4K-ish up and down the boardwalk oohing and ahhing and pointing at the manatees.

That leaves me with an entirely manageable 2.5K of walking to finish off my steps this evening.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 191.9 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 330 Days

IMG_20220123_101705283.jpg

Incredible! Everything about your photo looks like a painting! 

• Like 2

Took a lovely hike on a local neck today. The necks (peninsulas, or fingers) usually have much less snow than where we live, even though we are also on the coast. It’s quite icy here so we were pleasantly surprised that there was very little ice on these trails. We are starting to get into bird watching, and while we were close but not quite in the right area for the exotic sea eagle, we were able to identify a couple new-to-us of birds which was exciting. At any rate it was a beautiful day, perfect for hiking in the mid 20s, and we got to explore somewhere new. 

The woods here are full of ancient rock walls* Frozen tidal pools* Classic midcoast coastline* Pemaquid light

252631FA-052B-490F-BA73-00E610AB74FA.jpeg

CE12E847-E4E1-4F28-817D-1B99303FBFEC.jpeg

64B64B53-2169-456C-952D-1CE6949447EC.jpeg

36163590-4910-4620-A7BD-61F2DC579AE7.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've spent the weekend trying to keep up with PT and pound on a work deadline. My sleep is completely disordered. This always happens when work deadlines loom, but on this round I am noticing more how unhealthy this feels, both emotionally and physically. We've had a lot of chaos for several years, chaos that directly impacted when/how I could get things done at the computer. Doesn't help that I'm such a night owl. I've always vaguely said I need to get into better habits, and I always re-set in between projects with hopes of working my way towards a better "normal." Now that there are no foster kids in the house (for the moment at least), no aging in-laws with dementia either in my house or requiring frequent trips across two states, no weddings or funerals or other big events...I realize that living a college-student schedule of up half the night and catnapping during the day is not good for anyone, and especially not when approaching one's fiftieth birthday in a few months. So I'm not sure how I'll translate the feelings into real change when I have a full roster of scheduled work ahead, but it's the next Big Thing To Figure Out.

• Like 6