Menu

Well-Trained Bodies-January

Ali in OR

30 minutes rowing, 2 walks, > 10,000 steps already today.

My walk this morning was to the bookshop downtown to pick up the book @Laura Corin recommended. I’ll have to put in some serious reading hours to finish my current book so I can get started on it. I wonder if I can figure out how to row and read? Lol

• Like 6

My goals for this month are: get outside 2 times (assuming the weather cooperates), use my yoga app 2 times a week for at least 30 minutes total, use my PT "home program" at least 1 time per month week.

Starting off small... it's been a while and we have LOT going on.

Edited by plaidpants
whoops
  • Like 8

I did Day 3 of yoga. There were planks and side planks in today's video. Planks are my nemesis. I used to have to do them in physical therapy and never could hold one for more than a few seconds. Even half planks, which I did in today's practice, kick my butt. Today was mostly stretching and several of the moves were actually some of my PT exercises.

Dh and I took a short 2-ish mile walk this afternoon. 

7 hours ago, SKL said:

I put on my "posturific brace" after not wearing it for a long time.  (When I dislocated my shoulder a while back it was impossible to use.)  I also hope this becomes a habit.  It does discourage slouching.

I have one of those but haven't used it in a while. Mine is just from Amazon. I used to have such good posture that people commented on it. My mother actually did make me practice walking with books on my head. When I started having low back problems I compensated in ways that affected my posture. My physical therapist recommended a posture corrector. I had successful back surgery a year ago this month but my posture is still bad due to habit. I need to pull out that brace and start wearing it again.

• Like 8

Walked last night to meet my step and mileage goals.

Walked 4.4K this morning and did about 30 minutes of floor-based strength and stretching exercises.

After work tonight, I need to visit the runDisney Expo to collect my bib, race t-shirt and merch for tomorrow's 5K. Just walking in from the parking lot and making the rounds at the ESPN center will be a good number of steps, and I will take the usual evening walk with the dog once I'm home. Then I need to make it an early night, because I have to wake up at 3:00 in order to make it to WDW by 4:00 in the morning. 

What with holidays and vaccines, I've been feeling pretty draggy for the last few weeks, so I have no hopes of beating my time from walking the last WDW 5K, but I hope to at least be close.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 40.3 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 312 Days
South Lake/Lake Apopka Trail: 3 of 25.5 miles

IMG_20220105_074330642.jpg

• Like 7

A cardio core workout with Jessica Smith. Slightly modified as I nurse my shoulder (no right arm over my head right now). Dh and Dr. Google came up with rotator cuff tendonitis. I hope it's not that--I don't want anything messed up with my rotator cuff. So I'm just going gently so it doesn't get worse and become that.

• Like 6

Weights and core yesterday and extra PT on Monday. Today I hope to walk after heavy winds subside later this afternoon.

Puzzled and discouraged because my shoulder mri shows no issues. Yet it definitely hurts. Not sure if it is referred pain from elbow (which does show damage) or neck or both, but it really does feel like a problem IN the joint to me. I will kick up the intensity in PT and see what happens.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Day 3- Epic Endgame this am- Glutes today- today was a mix of hip thrusts, squats, and floor work- body weight, banded, and dumbbell. Another wonderful, but hard session. I've got slight soreness all over as these sessions are about twice as long as my December ones but am doing ok so far, especially my inner thighs and lats. Tomorrow will be an active rest day.

Still have not managed a walk! I took a nap yesterday instead, then I had to finish the grocery list and menu. And then the evening was blown when dd needed some items for school last minute and I had to take her shopping (they really should put out info earlier).Today it is still cold/cool but sunny and I've got a pretty open schedule.... hopefully today.

I woke up at 3 sweating, dh wanted another cover on the bed. I just dozed off when my alarm went off so I'll be napping again. My energy is far better but my sleep has been meh. Not sure if that is leftover issues from stress, hormones, or my thyroid. 

• Like 4

Tired and draggy today after waking up super early. DS had to take a makeup exam online and I was stressed about whether he would wake up on time or need breakfast. He didn’t need me awake, of course, but a mama's gonna mama, I guess. 

I forced myself to row this morning, but 6 minutes in I strained a muscle and I decided not to push it. I was bummed though because it took a lot of motivation to get started and I was feeling really good about my decision, only to get derailed. It’s been raining all day and everyone is tired so I declared it a day off and spent the entire afternoon napping on the couch with DS and a kitty, totally guilt free.

Tomorrow is a new day. đŸ™‚Â 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

The usual - pj sun salutations,  dog walk with Husband, Adriene day 4. I'll try for some rowing tomorrow - I'm only doing it every second day.

@wintermom how are you feeling?

Great job on all the exercise!  I'm not doing any better today - still bad sore throat, foggy brain and fatigued. The rest of the family are progressing well, though, so that's good.

I've been wondering about your brother. How is he doing? I really hope he is recovering well and can get back to golf and tennis again.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Great job on all the exercise!  I'm not doing any better today - still bad sore throat, foggy brain and fatigued. The rest of the family are progressing well, though, so that's good.

I've been wondering about your brother. How is he doing? I really hope he is recovering well and can get back to golf and tennis again.

He's doing a bit better. He's done a bit of jogging and hopes for a few minutes of tennis next weekend. Eta I just checked - that's two months after his diagnosis. 

I'm sorry you are feeling rough.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I'm so sad to hear that you are still feeling bad. I hope you are perking up soon.

• Like 2

I *did* get a walk in yesterday. Woot! Now, 1 more walk before Saturday to hit my weekly goal.

No lifting today. I'll do some yoga and maybe a short core workout.

I slept better last night with my period starting. Still having some residual trouble falling asleep from too much stress in the last couple of weeks. I need to restart some meditation.

• Like 7

As predicted, I logged about three kilometers yesterday just walking from the parking lot to the bib and t-shirt pick-up lines and back to the car. Then I topped off by walking with the dog once I made it home. 

I am once again trying not to "double dip" and so won't count the 5K this morning towards my walking challenge. However, again, between walking the dog before I left and walking from the parking lot to the starting line and then back out to my car from the finish line, I logged a little over 3.5K.  Given that I had to be up at 3:00 AM and had walked/run more than 13,000 steps before 7:30, I decided to give myself the day off from other exercise.

The 5K was fun. Epcot was all lit up for us, and there were lots of people in creative costumes. Plus, runDisney has the best bling. I didn't match my all-time personal best from the Jingle Jolly Jog (much lighter crowds and more space to maneuver), but I did do a little better than I did in the previous WDW event. I'm taking that as a win.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 48.5 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 313 Days

IMG_20220106_083530651.jpg

IMG_20220106_041931504.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 9

Great pic @Jenny in Florida!

I never got yoga in yesterday after school, so I did Adriene's Day 4 this morning. Maybe I can still do Day 5 this afternoon. I did not do dumbbells today as I don't want to mess with my shoulder, but it does feel a bit better. I did all the overhead motions in the yoga, just skipped extending my arms up in the lunge-open up-and-twist thing.

Monday's heavy weight has finally begun to budge (I do weigh daily).

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

As predicted, I logged about three kilometers yesterday just walking from the parking lot to the bib and t-shirt pick-up lines and back to the car. Then I topped off by walking with the dog once I made it home. 

I am once again trying not to "double dip" and so won't count the 5K this morning towards my walking challenge. However, again, between walking the dog before I left and walking from the parking lot to the starting line and then back out to my car from the finish line, I logged a little over 3.5K.  Given that I had to be up at 3:00 AM and had walked/run more than 13,000 steps before 7:30, I decided to give myself the day off from other exercise.

The 5K was fun. Epcot was all lit up for us, and there were lots of people in creative costumes. Plus, runDisney has the best bling. I didn't match my all-time personal best from the Jingle Jolly Jog (much lighter crowds and more space to maneuver), but I did do a little better than I did in the previous WDW event. I'm taking that as a win.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 48.5 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 313 Days

IMG_20220106_083530651.jpg

IMG_20220106_041931504.jpg

Lovely happy photo!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Jenny in Florida Congratulations on your event! It is definitely hard to get a good time with large crowds. What kinds of 'creative costumes' are people wearing to a running event at WDW?  Glad you had a great time.

@Laura Corin What did dh make for dinner? Great job getting your rowing and other activities completed.

@Ali in OR Hope your shoulder feels better soon. Are you back in the classroom, or on-line for now? 

@Soror Way to go getting your walk in! Glad you were able to sleep. 

I'm hoping to get outside for a short walk at some point today. I didn't sleep well and am still foggy headed and tired. 

• Like 6

@Jenny in Florida You are beautiful! Jealous of your curls—mine is straight with random, awkward flippy things.Â đŸ˜„Â Thanks for sharing pictures.

Weights and core for me today. My Tues/Thurs schedule is what everything else hinges on. I have been struggling to do more than a bare minimum if anything on the other days. My goal is to suck-it-up-buttercup and make sure I walk tomorrow and Saturday in addition to the PT stuff.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

@Jenny in Florida Congratulations on your event! It is definitely hard to get a good time with large crowds. What kinds of 'creative costumes' are people wearing to a running event at WDW? 

I didn't get any good pictures, unfortunately, but:

• There was a large group wearing white shirts and black pants and carrying signs that spelled out "Walt Disney World Monorail System" under a colored stripe similar to those on the monorail cars.
  • There was a family of four dressed in different-colored pinstripes reminiscent of the Dapper Dans, complete with straw boater hats. 
  • There was a group all wearing hats adorned with food items from the "Be Our Guest" song.
  • Another family was all dressed as Dalmatians. 
  • One walker was covered from head to toe in what looked to me like a jellyfish costume, festooned with battery-operated strings of lights.
  • I didn't see them, but I heard chatter about a large group dressed as the aliens from Toy Story.

There were also lots of folks wearing character-themed t-shirts/running skirts/knit dresses/pajamas. 

Today seemed to be mostly about classic Disney characters and objects. The Wine & Dine event I did back in November had a villain theme, so that one featured lots of Maleficents and Cruella DeVilles and such. My favorite from that race was the group running together as Slinky Dog from Toy Story.

• Like 6

Hang in there @wintermom.

Husband had bought lamb steaks but then decided to make those tomorrow.  Tonight we had smoked fish and potato soup. We had bought the fish and a bottle of fish stock when we went down to the coast on Tuesday. Husband ate most of the potato for me and I ate a lot of broccoli. It was really good and extremely simple.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Hang in there @wintermom.

Thanks! I'm getting there. I ventured outdoors and walked the dog around the block. It was cold and windy, but nice to feel the fresh air. 

The smoked fish and lamb both sound wonderful! Does the change in menu mean dh is making the lamb for you tomorrow? đŸ˜‰Â 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Thanks! I'm getting there. I ventured outdoors and walked the dog around the block. It was cold and windy, but nice to feel the fresh air. 

The smoked fish and lamb both sound wonderful! Does the change in menu mean dh is making the lamb for you tomorrow? đŸ˜‰Â 

Yup. I'm visiting my mum after work tomorrow  - there will be lamb when I return. Husband does around half the cooking - he mostly cooks meat and fish, and I  mostly cook vegetarian.  So it turns into a decent varied diet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Jenny in Florida Congratulations on your 5k! Sounds like it was fun! I’ve only run one 5k, I cursed most of the time but in the end I was really proud of myself. I am so not a runner. Lol

My leg (groin?) muscle still hurts today so no rowing again. Grrr. I’ve been really enjoying it. I did get out on two decent walks and am over 11,000 steps for the day. DS and I tried to walk in the woods, but the trail is like an ice rink so we had to change plans back on pavement.

D5C7CB14-62D8-4E9C-A0A9-EDFEB67503B9.jpeg

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, MEmama said:

@Jenny in Florida Congratulations on your 5k! Sounds like it was fun! I’ve only run one 5k, I cursed most of the time but in the end I was really proud of myself. I am so not a runner. Lol

My leg (groin?) muscle still hurts today so no rowing again. Grrr. I’ve been really enjoying it. I did get out on two decent walks and am over 11,000 steps for the day. DS and I tried to walk in the woods, but the trail is like an ice rink so we had to change plans back on pavement.

D5C7CB14-62D8-4E9C-A0A9-EDFEB67503B9.jpeg

Sorry to hear about the pain.

That kind of trail is one reason I asked for the rowing machine for Christmas. It's unpredictable,  but there are often a couple of months each year when our paths get like that, and my brisk walks become awkward.

• Like 5

@MEmama - Let me clarify that I am also very much not a runner. (I would actually love to run, but my arthritic knees and neuropathic feet/lower legs make that a no-go, at least until I can find a good trainer to help me do it safely.) I choose "races" that allow me to walk.

I'm sorry you're having pain and that the weather didn't cooperate with your plan to walk in the woods. The photo is awfully pretty, though! 

• Like 5

Congrats @Jenny in Florida

@MEmamahope your muscle is feeling better today

@wintermomhow are you?

@Slacheglad to hear you are doing better

@Laura Corinsometimes those simple meals are the best. I remember when we were on vaca and came back to the apartment exhausted. I sauteed hamburger patties and boiled some potatoes- the only seasoning was salt and pepper- we were so hungry and tired it was delicious. I love making new fancy meals but simple can be so good.

• Like 4

Full body circuit training this am after a great night of sleep. Even got in a small walk yesterday. Maybe I'll get another today...

ETA: did 20 min of Tai Chi and stretching and will get in a 10 min core video during my next break (my schedule has been wonky with lots of little breaks - so I can get in some short workouts today since I already did my main workout) I need to get in much more stretching than I have been. I want to make sure that is at least 10 min a day.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 7

I had almost knocked out my step count for the day by dinner time yesterday, but did take the dog out for a walk (about 2.7K).

Felt very draggy and uninterested in getting out of bed this morning. Despite the delayed start, the dog and I managed just over 4K walking, after which I did a full set of floor-based strength and stretching.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 55.3 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 314 Days

• Like 7

I'm feeling a whole lot better today and am attempting to do some work. Sadly, I get head-aches pretty quickly after focusing on the computer screen too long. I'm taking lots of breaks. 

I got outside for a dog walk around the block. It's -12C but not too windy.

@MEmama Great photo of the icy trails! Sorry you weren't able to walk in the woods. We get a lot of freezing rain here, and our trails can get that icy as well. I have some good crampons, but sometimes it's just not worth attempting to walk on that kind of bumpy ice.

• Like 5

Everyone’s workouts are so inspiring, esp the step counts. I got a Fitbit two years ago but now can’t find the charger. I have got to find the charger so I can track my steps. I really need to start walking more during the day. I have a dog and she loves to go for walks but I have to use trekking poles when I walk any distance and I can’t figure out how to juggle the poles and the leash. (Parkinson’s. I drift when I walk and the poles keep me upright.) 
I had two sessions with my personal trainer this week, as I needed to do a makeup from the week prior when I was sick. 
I am doing well with weight training and yoga, but need to do more cardio and get more steps in. I try to do a spin class a week, but haven’t gone over the holidays. I am inspired now to start rowing. 

• Like 6

@wintermom great photos! We used to live near a park where the chickadees were that tame, but I've never thought to feed them out of hand anywhere else. I might have try— what fun! đŸ™‚Â  They are such sweet little birds.

@Laura Corin I hope your knee feels better quickly. Good for you for listening to your body and taking a rest day.

@Harriet Vane I like your plan to set your intentions publicly for inspiration. If I had done that yesterday I might have been successful. 

@Ali in OR 30 minutes on a treadmill is impressive! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Saturday morning yoga. I did Adriene's day 5. I might try to see if I can get caught up this weekend. Day 6 is short (but probably hard--core work), Day 7 is today and not too long, and I think Day 8 is always an easy fun day?? So maybe 6 tonight and 7 and 8 tomorrow. Or maybe I don't worry about being caught up.

• Like 6

Today was my official start to my "training" for walking the 10K in April. I regularly walk that much mileage more or less every day, but not all at once and not when pushing for time. I have decided to loosely follow the training schedule recommended by the runDisney organization, although I am picking up from the distance I am already doing instead of starting from zero. The schedule has me adding half to three-quarters of a mile to one long walk every other week. So, I started with 3 miles today, and I will repeat that next Saturday, then bump to 3.5 miles for the next two Saturdays and so on.

Then my husband and I ventured out to the farmer's market and walked the downtown area, just to be out in the sunshine for a while.

Other than that, I walked about 4.5K last night to finish off yesterday's steps. 

Planning to meet up to walk and chat with a friend tomorrow morning.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 65.9 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 315 Days

• Like 6

I went out for a skate ski on the nearby groomed trails. It has really warmed up and it was actually lightly raining. My fitness for skate skiing is pretty weak right now, but it was really fun to get out there! I made several stops along route, and here's a nice winter stream photo:

IMG_20220109_125452906 (1).jpg

• Like 4