Menu

Well-Trained Bodies-January

Ali in OR

6 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Ouch!  I use my merino Buff indoors and layer a woolen scarf over it for outside on a cold day.  But I'm not a weather-tempered Canadian.

Today: ran errands on foot and took a short walk on level ground.

That sounds like a tempered metal of some sort. I'm strong like steel! 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I went for a walk in the woods hoping to relax and feed the birds. It was so cold I wasn't going to hold out my bare hand for long trying to tempt birds to take the seeds. I only walked for about 15 minutes, which was nice but the traffic noise was much louder than I like for a relaxing hike in the woods. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I only made it seven minutes into a workout before I needed to stop. I'm changing my schedule to only work out 3 days a week. So tired!

I'm down 3 lb since Christmas.

If I lived in Canada I would never leave the house.

When I was cutting back quite seriously on food a few years ago, I had to redesign my exercise to take account of my lower energy level. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, MEmama said:

30 minutes of rowing this morning.

It's -1F (-17C) with a “feels like” temp of -20F (-28C) this morning so I’m not even going to pretend like I’m going to get out for 2 walks. Probably one after lunch; it is sunny at least. 

I don't blame you staying inside! It's -31C with windchill today. Lovely sunshine, though. It's tempting to venture outside, but I won't be fooled. 😉  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm having some sleep apnea issues that may be causing my daily morning head-aches and fatigue. It's very disconcerting to wake up multiple times at night because you've stopped breathing. Dh says he's never noticed me snorting or jerking myself awake, so I believe it's a recent thing. Could be related to congestion and/or allergies, so I'll be trying to address that. 

I'll try to get some stretching and strength exercises in as going outside is not going to happen (-31C), I may be weather-tempered, but there are limits to what one does for "pleasure." 😅

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I'm having some sleep apnea issues that may be causing my daily morning head-aches and fatigue. It's very disconcerting to wake up multiple times at night because you've stopped breathing. Dh says he's never noticed me snorting or jerking myself awake, so I believe it's a recent thing. Could be related to congestion and/or allergies, so I'll be trying to address that. 

I'll try to get some stretching and strength exercises in as going outside is not going to happen (-31C), I may be weather-tempered, but there are limits to what one does for "pleasure." 😅

I hope you can talk with your doctor and get the night breathing issue resolved quickly— that sounds frightening! 

• Like 3

I did Day 12 yoga last night, then I was able to do Day 13 and Day 14 this morning since they were both about 20 minutes and I can go longer on Saturday mornings. So I'm all caught up again. I'm still nursing my right arm/shoulder. I'm figuring out that I have some repetitive strain issues there from writing on my smartboard all day at school. I was asking our computer tech guy what options exist for writing on some kind of pad that will display up there (I miss my old-school, last-century overhead projector!), and while I'm not likely to get anything along that route, he did figure out that my smartboard is mounted too high, so we may be able to get that lowered.

Looking forward to a 3-day weekend and hopefully getting back to my normal exercise routine next week. Yoga is not enough!

• Like 6

Walked last night to just barely hit my step goal for the day.

Took the dog out for a brief ramble around the neighborhood before depositing her back home and heading out for my "training walk" on a nearby trail. Today was my second weekly 5K, although I actually ended up going a little farther. Next week, the schedule calls for me to bump to 5.5K. 

I saw one of our neighborhood hawks while out with the dog and then a bunch of other birds while I was on the trail. 

I keep thinking that one of these days I will get more intentional about learning to recognize more birds, but it hasn't happened yet.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 124.7 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 322 Days
South Lake/Lake Apopka Trail: 3 of 25.5 miles

IMG_20220115_083631714_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220115_092342327.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Jenn in FL Love the photos! Thanks for sharing. We have woods in the back yard, so we see a variety of birds as well. I never get tired of looking at them.

Yesterday I was just too cold and clammy and tired all day and did not force myself to get moving. I slept a glorious nine hours last night but I still feel cold and clammy and tired. I am thinking more seriously that I need to invest in a recumbent bike or elliptical in my house. I particularly like the recumbent bike as I can read a book and ignore what my legs are doing. I am also beginning to question if it will ever be safe to work out at the gym. I did go to the gym with a mask on this summer and fall, but then stopped again when Omicron hit. I am still great about my Tuesday-Thursday weights and core, but with the cold weather it's just hard to force myself to get out and take a walk on the other days.

So the goal for today is PT stuff at a minimum. I do need to take a walk or do something else that keeps me moving--perhaps dh will take a walk with me this afternoon.

• Like 5

Lovely photos @Jenny in Florida

Beautiful weather today - chilly but still and sunny. I replanted my window boxes this morning and a flock of long tailed tits came through. Such sweet birds. Here's a video of some roosting in winter

https://images.app.goo.gl/sn7aJuFp8vvS2SJM6

Exercise wise - I  managed a normal dog walk and also pj sun salutations.  I'll be pruning apple trees with long-handled pruners for an hour or so, which is good upper-body work as the tool is over two metres long.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Laura Corin That video is amazing! I wonder if our chickadees hudle together like that through the winter, or at least during wind storms. I do see them out and about in -31 conditions, though, and it makes me feel like a wimp. They are incredibly tough little birds!

It's still freezing cold outside today at -28C with windchill. I may venture outside for a really short walk, though, as I'm sick of being indoors.

• Like 4

I had taken a good number of steps while out shopping with my husband yesterday afternoon, but still felt the need for a regular-length dog walk in the evening. (It's been a tough few days, emotionally, and getting out of the house is one of the things that keeps me sort of functional.) So, I ended the day with a few thousand "extra" steps.

Woke up this morning to pouring rain. At one point before I even made it out of bed, our phones buzzed with a severe weather warning. So I eventually prodded the dog out of bed and took her outside long enough to let her relieve herself. While we were out there, the rain didn't seem too intense, and I figured I'd let her back inside and go for a walk on my own, since I don't mind getting wet the same way she does. However, by the time I got her fed and pilled and headed back out, myself, the rain was heavier and cold enough to be unpleasant. So I headed back inside and resigned myself to a Walk with Leslie video. 

Things look to be clearing up a bit now, and I'm hoping I'll be able to get out for a real walk later.

Meantime, I'm extremely tempted to use today's weather as an excuse to go to the sporting goods store and buy some new kind of exercise equipment, but I'm still coming up blank on what that might be. Maybe I'll hit the exercise bike later, if I can think of something fun to watch while I'm at it.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 131.0 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 323 Days

• Like 6

Went to the park yesterday morning, it was below freezing and I took some coffee with me. It was just walking down a paved path and back but was so nice just being outside, and hearing the birds and creek and trees.

Today I did a very very short yoga practice and I may try a longer one later. It's been so long since I've stretched that it's almost painful.

• Like 8

Snow storm happening here, with really heavy snowing (almost white out conditions). I can just make out the houses across the street. The dc were supposed to go back to in-person school today, but it's a snow day with on-line learning instead.

I'll probably do a little shovelling and maybe try skiing in the neighbourhood if my energy holds up. I've got another head-ache already. I can't wait for these lingering Covid effects to be done. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Felt good to be back on the treadmill this morning--I need more than just yoga. No school today for MLK day though I might go in for a bit to file the mountain of papers on my desk. I never got a real filing system established--time to do that.

Only down half a pound this week, and that only due to a careful weekend. Not enough calorie-burning exercise and too many mid-week calories this week. I'm almost at what I consider my set point weight, but I'd like to be 2 pounds under that. I hit that several times a year, but it never seems to become my new set point. Onward to a new week of effort.

I'm sorry for the lingering effects, @wintermom. Hope you will soon get your body back completely.

• Like 5

Got on the spin bike yesterday.   I really liked it.   I just need to DO IT!

My oldest said to me, "Mom, I don't even think you would last a whole day at DisneyWorld walking around. right now."

He wasn't trying to be rude.....he is right.   And that has me a little more motivated.   We plan to go in the Fall and I would love to have more stamina and les weight.   Even just a bit.

• Like 7

35 minutes of rowing this morning. 

It’s snowing, icing and raining here, so I’m not going to pretend that I’m going to walk in this mess. The sidewalks and roads are a disaster of mush and ice. Instead, I’ll have to be content to snuggle up next to the stove with the kitties and read the book @Laura Corin suggested (More than a Woman)— I just started it yesterday and can’t put it down! 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, DawnM said:

Got on the spin bike yesterday.   I really liked it.   I just need to DO IT!

My oldest said to me, "Mom, I don't even think you would last a whole day at DisneyWorld walking around. right now."

He wasn't trying to be rude.....he is right.   And that has me a little more motivated.   We plan to go in the Fall and I would love to have more stamina and les weight.   Even just a bit.

Good for you! I love Spinning— I really miss our little neighborhood gym where I used to take classes. It’s such a terrific workout! 

• Like 2

Just now, MEmama said:

35 minutes of rowing this morning. 

It’s snowing, icing and raining here, so I’m not going to pretend that I’m going to walk in this mess. The sidewalks and roads are a disaster of mush and ice. Instead, I’ll have to be content to snuggle up next to the stove with the kitties and read the book @Laura Corin suggested (More than a Woman)— I just started it yesterday and can’t put it down!

Glad you like it.  She has quite the turn of phrase.

I did my PJ sun salutations and a non-hill short walk.  After work, I will do some careful yoga - staying off my knees and not doing anything that would twist my knee either.

• Like 7

I went to bed early with a migraine last night, worst one I've had in a while. I'm off work today for MLK day, so I was able to sleep a little late, then wander outside and take a good, long walk (4.7K) before doing a full set of floor-based strength and stretching stuff. 

I followed that with trying out the new floor scrubber/steamer. The combination has me over have my step goal for the day. So, good start.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 140.0 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 324 Days

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Good for you! I love Spinning— I really miss our little neighborhood gym where I used to take classes. It’s such a terrific workout! 

I finally found a bike that fit me at a good price.   My legs are really short.  

There are so many free YouTube spin classes that are quality now that I don't think I will have to pay for a very long time, if ever.   Many are trying to mimic Peleton's classes and they do a good job.   I found 3 instructors on Youtube that I am going try.   

This woman is great.   You can buy a subscription, but you can do a lot without:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo0Pbk8bCutBN-Yf_404Kvw/videos?app=desktop

• Like 5

Took a break from this thread since I was not doing great.  I'm back on track for now.  My "big work deadline" was last Thursday, and I slept it off on Friday.

I have eaten fruit most mornings in 2022.  Now intending to also eat at least one vegetable dish daily.  Also drinking at least 64 oz of water.

I am back to doing daily yoga.  Hope it lasts.

Also added a goal to pedal my fitdesk daily.  I don't have a specific amount, nor do I track it.  The idea is to push until it is a bit uncomfortable, when I have a chance.  Otherwise at least move my knees that way for joint health.  😛

I've been letting my kids walk the dog when they're willing.  I do take him out into our hilly woods at least once or twice a day, and I played kick the ball yesterday.  I have a goal to either walk him or play ball with him every day.  Today it might need to be snowball.  😛

• Like 7

I've been struggling to get in any more than the bare minimum, unfortunately. I'll do my PT exercises, but it's discouraging because there's so much soreness. It's snowing outside--dh will walk with me if I ask. I realized part of the lack of motivation is the fact that I have been chilled for days and days. I just cannot seem to get warm. I struggled with this in the past when I was anemic, but I am not currently anemic. Getting moving will help, yet being chilled means I don't want to get moving. Chasing my tail on this one, really.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Soror said:

My covid test is still negative but I'm tired so I'm skipping the exercise for now. I'm trying to let my body use all it's energy to fight this off so it doesn't get bad. I wish my body would get it done with already. 

Rest up and recover from whatever your body is fighting. Hope you feel better very soon!

• Like 2

BH! I actually went out in that snow storm to walk the dog yesterday and my eye balls were getting pierced by deadly snow flakes. How is it possible that those gorgeous, fluffy crystals of water can hurt so much? 🥶  The dog didn't care, but he's a poodle and has extra eye coatings, doesn't he. I'm not as well equiped. Try to do something nice for your pet and it comes back to bite you.

It's sunny outside again, but I'm not falling for it. The temp is -23 with windchill. 

There is a giant snow "boulder" in the driveway about 3 feet in diameter. It seems to have broken off from the snow bank piled at the side of driveway. Obviously we got a lot of snow yesterday. I guess we could use it as the base of a snowman, though getting the car out of the driveway could be tricky. 😄

ETA: No worries! Dh drove carefully around the snow boulder, so we may have the start of a new driveway ornament aka social gathering of snow people.

image.png.fb4c1264a94a14d664e9ecf2e319dc82.png

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

@Harriet Vane I also struggle with being cold all the time. I especially hate going inside stores, where it is often colder inside and I am often so chilled I can't think clearly. My husband and I went out to do some grocery shopping over the weekend, and despite wearing more clothing than my husband and most other people in the stores, I was so cold by the time we were done with the second store that my husband sent me out to the car to warm up while he checked out. I keep extra hoodies and fuzzy throws strewn all over the house (and hoodies in the car), so I am never far from another layer. It's not a fun feeling.

Speaking of being chilled -- We are having what Floridians think of as a cold snap around here. It was in the 50s when I went out walking last evening and in the low 40s when I headed out this morning. I did (again, just barely) get my steps for yesterday but did a little better this morning (4.2K). I also did about 20 minutes of strength and stretching stuff this morning before I had to settle in at my desk to work.

I did wander around the sporting goods section at Target yesterday when I ran in to buy some headbands (getting really tired of having my hair whipped in my face during walks on windy days), hoping to find some inspiration to shake me out of my exercises boredom. No luck, though, so I suspect the remainder of the day will be more of the usual.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 147.8 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 325 Days

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I did play snowball with the pup last evening.  It was a good workout.  I even did a little bit of tobogganing.  My knees are still sore from my fall on the ice last week, so I have to be careful how I get up from the toboggan.

Today - Did my morning yoga and had my morning fruit and am pedaling my fitdesk.  So far so good!  Been outside once with the pup ... just a trip to the potty place, but with all the snow, it counts as a little bit of exercise.  🙂  Still need to drink lots of water, eat veggies, and play out with the pup today.  I also want to review my TKD forms which I haven't even thought about for like 2 months.

I'm wondering how I'm gonna do my yoga this weekend while sharing a hotel room with my kids and their teen friends.

• Like 7

30 minute row +  short walk this afternoon.

My goodness the wind was cold, but worse were the icy sidewalks and streets. The sidewalk in front of our house was salted this morning so I assumed the entire neighbourhood would be decent for walking, but nope. Hopefully the ice melts tomorrow. 

• Like 6

No caregiver today. I was supposed to just skip exercise and get dd up but I totally forgot and did 30 min of yoga then rushed when I realized why I was so late. Did Day 16 yoga and started 17 this morning then finished up Day 17 tonight. Caregiver is supposed to be back tomorrow.

• Like 7

It's -26 C with the windchill and snowing, but it's supposed to warm up to -1 C by the afternoon. I'll wait a few hours before heading out for a walk. 😉

I had an extremely unhealthy "January Meal" for dinner last night; potato chips and cookies. I've sunk to the depths of comfort food dependency. It's going to be a once-only meal, though. Time to get back on track. At least I didn't include wine and/or soda. It could have been worse. 😅

• Like 7

I really need to get better at incorporating more walking into the middles of my days. I keep looking up after work or, worse, after dinner and realizing that I still have 6-7,000 steps to go. And often, the prospect of a walk that long at the end of the day is less than attractive.

That's what happened last night. 

This morning, I had apparently forgotten to turn on my alarm and way overslept. So all I had time for was my walk. (I did see these guys out for their morning ramble.) I am hoping I can carve out enough of a break at some point this morning to go do at least a little strength work, but it's iffy given my work schedule. I may end up just doing a make-up day on Saturday.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 155.8 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 326 Days

Birds.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, wintermom said:

@Jenny in Florida Lovely photo! What kind of birds or those? 

Birdwatching is not my area of expertise. I keep thinking I'll get more intentional about that at some point, since it would be a  nice way to enrich my walking time . . . but not yet.

I'm pretty sure those two are sandhill cranes. They are pretty common in this area. 

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 6

I didn't play outside with the pup yesterday, nor walk him outside of our yard.  However, just getting to and from the car taking my kid around was an adventure.  😛  I also walked a bit inside the house.

Today I was so tempted to go back to bed after getting the girls up, but I forced myself to stay up and do yoga.  I had dreamed through my alarms until 7:00, so I only had a few minutes for yoga, but I'm counting it.  😛  I will do more later if I can.

Took out the garbage and busted up and scattered some rock salt.  I'm counting that too.  😛

Took the pup for a walk and took him out a couple extra times.  He was stressed out because we had an electrician over.

Ate my fruit and veggie this morning.

We'll see what else I accomplish.  The weather is actually nice despite all the snow on the ground.  But I have a lot of work.

• Like 7

30 minute row this morning.

I’m hoping to get out for a walk this afternoon but I’m waiting on a call from my doctor, who might want me to come right in to her office. I just came back from an appointment at the women’s health clinic and got the news I need a full hysterectomy for my fibroids and enlarged uterus, but when they took my blood pressure they were concerned with how crazy high it is all of a sudden. I've always had great BP but problems do run in my family so I’ll need to get that remedied ASAP. The nurse at my GP's office was surprised the clinic let me go home! 😳 So I guess my goal for tonight is to not have a stroke or heart attack. Huh.

At least the hysterectomy is good news— I can’t wait to not feel 5 months pregnant. 

• Sad 4