Menu

My happy work today

Murphy101

Many months ago we had hot water tank bust and drain into our downstairs and the insurance paid for the new floor (yay) but the new floor really made my walls look like crap. So I painted the walls and after much looking and waiting I found some lime wash for my dark stone fireplace. Yesterday and today I finally got around to doing the lime-washing and finished it. I’m super happy with the result and wanna share my before and after. I’ve decorated it too, but that includes family photos so these are the bare pictures.

9D17069E-78AE-4E60-AC94-8334CC4B676D.jpeg

F7C6CF1E-66B6-4CB9-9679-EBDDAEF1D7AB.jpeg

• Like 39

14 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow, what a difference!!!   That really pops from the walls now.

My house was built in 1980, a time when apparently they just loved large dark rooms. It is super dark in there. There’s a light in the back door to the left and a 3 x 5 window behind the tv to the right.  (Only wall I can put it.) That’s it for a 25x28 sunken living room with a cathedral ceiling. It was very cavesque with all the dark wood paneling and dark stone work and dark beige carpet. LOL It looks a lot more open and cozy with the new flooring and the fireplace makeover.

7 hours ago, VickiMNE said:

@Murphy101I haven't either, and I'm all ears as we have a massive stone fireplace.  Where do you buy/how do you make lime wash?

I searched high and low and could t find lime wash anywhere in the stores here. (Apparently most of it is made in Italy - who knew?!) But I found an east coast maker/distributor on Amazon and ordered the 1 gallon thing of it from there for $70 and than paid like $30 in shipping fees. So it comes looking like a tub of plaster or clay. And you can either use it as it or add water to get the dilution you want. I scooped my entire tub into a 5 gallon bucket and then added 2 tubs water and mixed until smooth and consistent.  You do have to have a mason brush. A paint brush will not work well. But mason brushes are cheap. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

My house was built in 1980, a time when apparently they just loved large dark rooms. It is super dark in there. There’s a light in the back door to the left and a 3 x 5 window behind the tv to the right.  (Only wall I can put it.) That’s it for a 25x28 sunken living room with a cathedral ceiling. It was very cavesque with all the dark wood paneling and dark stone work and dark beige carpet. LOL It looks a lot more open and cozy with the new flooring and the fireplace makeover.

My house was built in 1980 too.  Same problem with lack of windows.  Some days I feel like putting skylights everywhere.  

23 hours ago, Scarlett said:

My house was built in 1980 too.  Same problem with lack of windows.  Some days I feel like putting skylights everywhere.  

The previous owners put in solar tubes in the living room. We love/hate them. Awesome way better than skylights. But they put two on either side of our ceiling fan. So for 4 hours every afternoon our living room becomes a disco that has literally caused people to feel sick. So we can’t use the ceiling fan during those hours. LOL I’m like ANYWHERE else would have been perfect. The dark enclosed  stairwell? The upstairs hallway that’s right next the the ceiling? The game room upstairs? All would have been great placement. But not right above the ceiling fans! LOL

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

Oh how I wish we could see the entire room. You did a wonderful job.

This is the best I could manage. From the other direction you can see my kitchen/dining chaos and my husband’s huge Texas birth certificate is framed on the wall 😆- which is more private info that I’d put on a public board. 

• Like 3