Menu

Can you be naked in your house/flat/apartment?

Laura Corin

3 hours ago, madteaparty said:

I love your house, so symmetrical. I would sacrifice nakedness for that. I can do what you propose 😜in every part of my house except I could not cook au naturel in winter because the wooded area between our lone neighbor thins out and she can vaguely see into my kitchen. This is my back yard, I think this random cat would be offended.and the chickens. (I don’t like my house. But I like the land around it and it’s where my roses live so I’m stuck here). Last house I sold they ripped out my roses and I’m still in pain over it. 

0659F1DC-E983-48E6-AF31-47538398AC9E.jpeg

Wow! So beautiful and peaceful! So much space!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can, but... aside from nipping from the bedroom to the bathroom in the wee hours, or on rare occasion down to the laundry room for underwear left in the dryer when I get up, am never inclined to.

Every time I stay in a VRBO with an outdoor hot tub I fantasize about having one, though.  Snow falling when you're in a hot tub = pretty great.

• Like 2

It has occurred to me that on the open water on Lake Huron, if we stayed at least a mile off shore, it is possible we would be alone enough out there on the sailboat to go nude. Now, I am not saying I would want to, and the spector of a Coast Guard Ship coming by at some point - not uncommon - would be a big deterrent, but I can say that it might be an option, just not one I am interested in. If the boat were bigger with a nice size cabin so we could sleep over on it below deck, then maybe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, madteaparty said:

I think this random cat would be offended.and the chickens

Cat, yes. They are often easily offended. Chickens, no. Very self-centered. They don't care what you are or are not wearing as long as you come bearing food gifts.

The back half of my house has blinds, but none of the front windows have anything. The front patio might work for brief periods because the house is at an angle to the single neighboring house which is currently uninhabited, but the back yard is partly bordered by a public walking path, so no. No one here would seriously consider the proposition anyway. Too many anxiety-ridden rule-followers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

It has occurred to me that on the open water on Lake Huron, if we stayed at least a mile off shore, it is possible we would be alone enough out there on the sailboat to go nude. Now, I am not saying I would want to, and the spector of a Coast Guard Ship coming by at some point - not uncommon - would be a big deterrent, but I can say that it might be an option, just not one I am interested in. If the boat were bigger with a nice size cabin so we could sleep over on it below deck, then maybe.

Oh gosh, we must be terrible people. We have totally been naked on our boat. You can see anyone coming from MILES away. Seriously, the ocean is huge. There is no one out there. I don't know much about the Great Lakes, but my impression is that they are pretty darn big too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, madteaparty said:

I love your house, so symmetrical. I would sacrifice nakedness for that. I can do what you propose 😜in every part of my house except I could not cook au naturel in winter because the wooded area between our lone neighbor thins out and she can vaguely see into my kitchen. This is my back yard, I think this random cat would be offended.and the chickens. (I don’t like my house. But I like the land around it and it’s where my roses live so I’m stuck here). Last house I sold they ripped out my roses and I’m still in pain over it. 

0659F1DC-E983-48E6-AF31-47538398AC9E.jpeg

I want to hear more about your roses…

15 minutes ago, bibiche said:

I want to hear more about your roses…

Just old country roses I plant and ignore and they go wild. That’s my “gardening” style. Ispahan is my favorite, I love the bourbon ones as well but they don’t do well with my my no-spray no-anything regime…

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

Just old country roses I plant and ignore and they go wild. That’s my “gardening” style. Ispahan is my favorite, I love the bourbon ones as well but they don’t do well with my my no-spray no-anything regime…

I don't spray either. I just bought two David Austin roses- he has a 'best for health' section. Ispahan looks lovely.

https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/collections/disease-resistant-roses

Edited by Laura Corin

38 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I don't spray either. I just bought two David Austin roses- he has a 'best for health' section. Ispahan looks lovely.

https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/collections/disease-resistant-roses

I’ve never had luck with David Austin ones. My best is Ispahan, another pink once-bloomer whole name I’ve forgotten, and a yellow constant bloomer that I got in a body bag at Aldi of all places 🤣 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madteaparty said:

That sounds about like my gardening style. I’ve been intrigued by Ispahan for some time. It’s very fragrant, no, if it’s the one I’m thinking of. And if it does well with a no-spray regime it sounds like my kind of rose. Thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

Oh gosh, we must be terrible people. We have totally been naked on our boat. You can see anyone coming from MILES away. Seriously, the ocean is huge. There is no one out there. I don't know much about the Great Lakes, but my impression is that they are pretty darn big too.

I am going to post a picture of where I was hiking today. This was in the upper peninsula on Lake Superior. This area is not busy at all like our area is, and though there is a coast guard flotilla there, most of the patrolling when not involved in search and rescue, is deep water - shipping channel - due to drug interdiction (lots of smuggling drugs from the wilds of Canada on the north side of the lake). I think, if not cold out 😂😂😂😂😂, we could manage nude on.boat here. I took this photo from the trail with just a cell phone so apologies if it is blurry.

245157443_1763857553809616_5091111113034932829_n.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, bibiche said:

That sounds about like my gardening style. I’ve been intrigued by Ispahan for some time. It’s very fragrant, no, if it’s the one I’m thinking of. And if it does well with a no-spray regime it sounds like my kind of rose. Thanks.

Very fragrant but there’s just one magical burst of flowers around June and that’s it. It takes over everything, because i don’t have the heart to prune. 

93547C56-D9F4-46C6-B9D9-1C3FA99FA5E8.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can't even be naked in my bedroom because my three sons are constantly barging in.  In fairness, our bedroom is also my study AND everyone's music practice space AND a prime location for zoom classes, but still.   

I finally had DH install a curtain to close off an area near my closet so at least I can get dressed without having to carry my clothes into the bathroom like I'm living in a youth hostel.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

In the house yes, we’re far from neighbors. However on one side we have an open field and we live on top of a hill. The road curls around the base of the hill so everyone driving by for a mile and a half could see us along with 3 of our neighbors. If we walked further back, I guess we could strip down. Because we have wooded areas behind us. However the dog who sticks his nose on my (clothed) bottom every time I go out would  be a problem.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I can, but I usually don’t. My house is far off the road and my “neighbors” are far and mostly blocked by woods. I do have a “neighbor” in the back, across a farmed field, who could see into my master bath at night, but they would have to really be trying (like with binoculars) to really see a naked woman of fifty, whatever thrill that might be. 😜

But I’m not one of the “naked around my kids” kind of moms, so it’s mostly moot until my youngest launches. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bibiche said:

Now, now! You can’t tell us you bought two new DA roses and not say which!

Tottering-by-Gently and Susan Williams-Ellis. I ordered bare root so they won't arrive for a couple of  months. From another supplier I ordered magnolia Stellata Royal  Star, maple Skeeter's Broom and Eucalyptus gunnii - to cut back and keep small. The last two will make a trio of foliage with a dark elder that I inherited.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I am going to post a picture of where I was hiking today. This was in the upper peninsula on Lake Superior. This area is not busy at all like our area is, and though there is a coast guard flotilla there, most of the patrolling when not involved in search and rescue, is deep water - shipping channel - due to drug interdiction (lots of smuggling drugs from the wilds of Canada on the north side of the lake). I think, if not cold out 😂😂😂😂😂, we could manage nude on.boat here. I took this photo from the trail with just a cell phone so apologies if it is blurry.

245157443_1763857553809616_5091111113034932829_n.jpg

Beautiful photo.

10 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Tottering-by-Gently and Susan Williams-Ellis. I ordered bare root so they won't arrive for a couple of  months. From another supplier I ordered magnolia Stellata Royal  Star, maple Skeeter's Broom and Eucalyptus gunnii - to cut back and keep small. The last two will make a trio of foliage with a dark elder that I inherited.

Thank you for sharing. 😊 Tottering-by-Gently is lovely - I adore single flower roses like that, as do the bees. I have Susan Williams-Ellis and it is a prolific bloomer with a wonderful fragrance. I didn’t love it at first because I found its shaggy blossoms a bit unappealing, but its other qualities have brought me around. 

That magnolia is gorgeous, as is the color of the maple. I have never seen a dark elderberry and had to google. Wow! It has pink flowers? 🤩 Those three dark colors together are going to be stunning. I hope you’ll do another gardening blog!

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

@Laura Corinand @bibiche, would the David Austin roses thrive in 100* temps? They're beautiful, but so many plants that like full sun don't do well in full sun here in south central Texas because of the heat.

I'm sorry, I don't know. I've not seen roses flourishing in the hot places I've lived.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bibiche said:

Thank you for sharing. 😊 Tottering-by-Gently is lovely - I adore single flower roses like that, as do the bees. I have Susan Williams-Ellis and it is a prolific bloomer with a wonderful fragrance. I didn’t love it at first because I found it’s shaggy blossoms a bit unappealing, but its other qualities have brought me around. 

That magnolia is gorgeous, as is the color of the maple. I have never seen a dark elderberry and had to google. Wow! It has pink flowers? 🤩 Those three dark colors together are going to be stunning. I hope you’ll do another gardening blog!

I was in two minds because of the shagginess but I hope I am won over too.

This is a photo - not very good - of my current dining-table arrangement with the elder,  Michaelmas daisies and phlox.

20211010_185051.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

@Laura Corinand @bibiche, would the David Austin roses thrive in 100* temps? They're beautiful, but so many plants that like full sun don't do well in full sun here in south central Texas because of the heat.

In the US, David Austin grows their roses in Texas, I think. You could contact them and ask how their roses would do where you are.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I was in two minds because of the shagginess but I hope I am won over too.

This is a photo - not very good - of my current dining-table arrangement with the elder,  Michaelmas daisies and phlox.

20211010_185051.jpg

That’s a beautiful arrangement, Laura. I see a dark elderberry plant in my future!

I love reading about everyone’s roses.  I got a Sharifa Asma rose in Portland when I was a teenager and flew home with it.  It’s still happily growing in my parents’ yard 30 years later so I get to see it when I visit.  I love living all over the world, but I do miss having a garden with roses that last forever.  David Austin roses are some of my very favorites.

Here’s my Sharifa from a couple of years ago.  

1959B579-4D11-43D2-98CA-760031898281.jpeg

• Like 6

The hardest part about our international move was not being able to take DH’s grandmother's peonies with me. They were so gorgeous and ofc meaningful, but the new owners ripped out my *entire* garden I’d spent seven years creating. 😫 .

They also painted our pretty little Craftsman black. There’s no accounting for taste, I guess. 

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

@bibichenow I'm second guessing that white rose. I want white, repeat flowering, scented, extremely healthy. Ideas?

Mme Alfred Carrière! One of my absolute favorites. It needs room, but absolutely worth it. It’s slightly cream colored, not absolute white. Sally Holmes is another reliable white(ish) rose, with single blossoms. I have a Claire Austin that is a purer white and has beautiful blossoms, but if you have the space I would definitely recommend Madame. She is extremely healthy too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amira said:

I love reading about everyone’s roses.  I got a Sharifa Asma rose in Portland when I was a teenager and flew home with it.  It’s still happily growing in my parents’ yard 30 years later so I get to see it when I visit.  I love living all over the world, but I do miss having a garden with roses that last forever.  David Austin roses are some of my very favorites.

Here’s my Sharifa from a couple of years ago.  

1959B579-4D11-43D2-98CA-760031898281.jpeg

Beautiful, Amira. This is becoming a dangerous thread for a rose lover…  I’m running out of room!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

No, we can't go around our house naked, inside or out and it does matter to me. I'm quite happy with it being the way it is. Nobody's bare butt needs to be anywhere near my furniture.

In naturist camps one carries a little towel to sit on. 😉 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bibiche said:

Mme Alfred Carrière! One of my absolute favorites. It needs room, but absolutely worth it. It’s slightly cream colored, not absolute white. Sally Holmes is another reliable white(ish) rose, with single blossoms. I have a Claire Austin that is a purer white and has beautiful blossoms, but if you have the space I would definitely recommend Madame. She is extremely healthy too.

Sally Holmes looks lovely. I don't have space right there for a big climber. Blackspot resistance? 

10 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Sally Holmes looks lovely. I don't have space right there for a big climber. Blackspot resistance? 

I would say good black spot resistance. I do spray with watered down milk on occasion, although I don’t know if this makes a difference. This year the “on occasion” amounted to only once or twice, so I’m guessing not much of a difference at all. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bibiche said:

In the US, David Austin grows their roses in Texas, I think. You could contact them and ask how their roses would do where you are.

ETA, @wilrunnerAlso in Texas there is Antique Rose Emporium, and I think in South Carolina, Roses Unlimited. I’ve had dealings with both and they’ve been lovely. As I understand it, David Austen roses are for the beauty of the blooms but at least where I live they will not take over a garden fence or be maintenance free. You want to combine the bit demanding DA with some old country roses (think the stuff that grows wild in cemeteries etc). I do exclusively the latter 😉

Because I’m in the north, I’m trying to use more the Canadian explorer series and places like high country roses, but most of what works for me is sold out. My kingdom for a John Davis or John Cabbot or Quadra. I had these in my old house and well… sob. DH says if we ever move he’s excavating  my roses out and yes there will be contractual provisions 🤣

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, bibiche said:

I don’t remember scent but Rosa iceberg did well in my old place. Now new Dawn should have done well. Never did. 
 This is a dangerous thread, and not for obvious reasons. For every piece of the common app guidance counselor bit I complete I’m getting a new rose 🤣

Edited by madteaparty
  • Haha 2

@bibiche here's a slightly better photo - the elder has almost metallic leaves. I don't know, but it might be Sambucus Black Lace. I plan to just cut back the tallest shoots next year, leaving the shorter ones to flower, as flowers  were very sparse this year.

By the way, I decided on Kew Gardens for my white rose.

20211011_155631.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

@Laura Corindoes it make elderberries? Like, for syrup? My elderberry leaves look a bit like that except, you know, green ';)

It does, but as I cut it back every year so that it remains a decorative shrub rather than a tree, it doesn't produce much.  I'm not sure how much it would produce if I let it go.

• Like 1

Absolutely gorgeous, @Laura Corin! And Kew Gardens is beautiful. I’ll add it to my growing list. I’m currently trying to find a Rambling Rector, which looks a bit like Kew Gardens (though I prefer the look of Kew Gardens), to engulf my house. 😉 

And thanks @madteaparty for asking your question and Laura for answering it, as I was wondering the same thing. My elderberries produce a lot, which I appreciate, but are not nearly as good-looking as that dark elderberry.

6 minutes ago, bibiche said:

Absolutely gorgeous, @Laura Corin! And Kew Gardens is beautiful. I’ll add it to my growing list. I’m currently trying to find a Rambling Rector, which looks a bit like Kew Gardens (though I prefer the look of Kew Gardens), to engulf my house. 😉 

And thanks @madteaparty for asking your question and Laura for answering it, as I was wondering the same thing. My elderberries produce a lot, which I appreciate, but are not nearly as good-looking as that dark elderberry.

I managed to kill Rambling Rector - I wanted it to go over the garage at our last house.  My idea was to start it in the shade so it would head towards the sun, but I think it was just too dark there.  No space for it here.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I managed to kill Rambling Rector - I wanted it to go over the garage at our last house.  My idea was to start it in the shade so it would head towards the sun, but I think it was just too dark there.  No space for it here.

Good to know, because the space I’m thinking of is a bit shaded. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the info.