Menu

Prismacolor or Crayola colored pencils?

This has to be the only thing that I vehemently disagreed with WTM about. The book recommends Prismacolor pencils for young elementary students' picture narrations. I bought my Kinder a big set of Crayola pencils and we were happy with them for two years. Now, my second grader is in need of new colored pencils. Should I just get another Crayola box or are the Prismacolor pencils really that much better? 

I think the main thing is high quality art supplies are designed to give a better art experience. That includes colors being more vibrant, easier to blend, smoother, ability to give more gradient and such. "Crayola" type art supplies are designed to be cheaper, easier to clean, and  "edible"/less toxic. To me it depends on how much you trust your 2nd grader and how much you think they would appreciate the better art experience.  For example even as an adult high end color pencils would still be a waste on me because drawing/coloring art is not my thing. However I buy high end pens for writing because there is a difference between the run of the mill pen and a nice pen if you like to do writing/calligraphy stuff.  

20 hours ago, Pintosrock said:

that I vehemently disagreed with WTM about

You disagreed without trying them?? Prismacolor lay down color quite nicely and are a fun splurge if you get them on sale at Hobby Lobby. They usually have singles out so you could buy just one to try. I agree that if you were happy with Crayola it's fine to keep buying Crayola. 

• Like 1

I bought Prisma. I still buy Prisma. I have a few other brands that I love now, too. But yeah, it often comes down to cost with watercolor supplies. However, speaking as someone who watercolors often and has learned a few things, when it comes to watercolor (and that includes using the pencils or crayons) if you have to spend money--spend it on the paper, not the paint. Paint (and pencils are paint here) are important, but the paper will actually make or break the experience.

I wouldn't be too worked up for sketching, though. Only if you intend to paint with them.

• Like 1

Wow, I haven't read my copy of WTM that in depth in awhile.  I don't remember that suggestion.  I am sure when my older kids were little and I followed WTM faithfully, spending extra was not an option.  I know we only used Crayola.  We bought them each Prisma when they were older, and now that is all they use.  I still don't even have a set of Prisma for myself, and I want them badly.  My 2nd grader is definitely not getting any yet.  So as much as I would love to get them for all of us, it is just too expensive for something we use so much and that would likely get lost by a little one.  

17 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

Lyra Giant Ferby for young ones....

I second this.

My daughter didn't switch to Prismacolors though; she took her Lyra pencils to college and also to South Korea post-college.

This looks like my daughter's first set ~ 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

We use Prismacolor. I have found that cheaper colored pencils don't sharpen as well. Either the wood splits, which is really annoying, or the point breaks part way through sharpening. It is worth the extra money to avoid the aggravation. Also, between three kids, they last quite awhile. I usually pick up the set of 48, and they don't start becoming too short for at least two years.