Menu

What’s the vaccination rate in your county?

Spryte

I believe we are at 12%, but that is because we are having trouble sourcing the vaccine into the country. Our order was through India, and they have put a block on exports, so the government had to scramble to source it from somewhere else. There is currently no community spread anywhere in NZ.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-coronavirus-largest-shipment-of-pfizer-vaccines-arrives-in-new-zealand/ZER4RHS2UJDLOCGTGI3AV6XBKE/

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Australia is at 11% 

It is mostly older than 60

Ours are the border workers and their families. Next was doctors and nursing home people. They are now doing all over 60s and co-morbidity people.

25% percent have had at least once dose in my county
19.3% voted for Biden

We are labeled very high risk. Hospitals are full. Several people that I know have gotten Covid within the past two weeks. I really hate that we live here.

Edited by pitterpatter
  • Sad 9

8 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

25% percent have had at least once dose in my county
19.3% voted for Biden

We are labeled very high risk. Hospitals are full. Several people that I know have gotten Covid within the past two weeks. I really hate that we live here.

Oh, I'm sorry 😞 . Is anyone very sick? 

My mom's best friend from high school's mom is in the hospital. Her oxygen levels have been in the 70s for several days. She is part of a large extended family (clan really) who is outspoken politically and anti-vax (for Covid). Two other members of that family also have it. They are in their early 40s. DH's sister is one of them...related by marriage. I don't think they had contact with the elderly relative. So, separate exposures (unless there's an asymptomatic relative who has visited them both, I guess).

There are two young men in their early-to-mid 20s that have it. At least one is in the ICU. The other may be as well. I can't quite remember...he is in the hospital, though.

Our McDonald's morning shift pretty much all have/had it. They have been closed until 11 a.m. for a couple weeks now. I think some of their day shift may also have it now. I think they had to bring in out-of-town workers.

8 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Oh, I'm sorry 😞 . Is anyone very sick? 

• Sad 9

7 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

My mom's best friend from high school's mom is in the hospital. Her oxygen levels have been in the 70s for several days. She is part of a large extended family (clan really) who is outspoken politically and anti-vax (for Covid). Two other members of that family also have it. They are in their early 40s. DH's sister is one of them...related by marriage. I don't think they had contact with the elderly relative. So, separate exposures (unless there's an asymptomatic relative who has visited them both, I guess).

There are two young men in their early-to-mid 20s that have it. At least one is in the ICU. The other may be as well. I can't quite remember...he is in the hospital, though.

Our McDonald's morning shift pretty much all have/had it. They have been closed until 11 a.m. for a couple weeks now. I think some of their day shift may also have it now. I think they had to bring in out-of-town workers.

That must be so infuriating to watch. So much pointless suffering 😕 . 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, pitterpatter said:

I’m so sorry.  It’s just heartbreaking.  Will be hoping for good recoveries for all.

Edited by Spryte
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, pitterpatter said:

Our sanitation department has suspended the collection of recycling and yard waste for two weeks because many workers are out with Covid.

Edited by regentrude
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 9

49 minutes ago, lewelma said:

I just wonder how the health insurance companies are managing these costs? Are the premiums going up?

It’s pretty common here to just have one open enrollment period in the fall for the next year. So it’s probably too soon to know if premiums will increase for 2022. I’m hoping many companies will do as they do for cigarette smoking and charge higher premiums if you are not vaccinated.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Frances said:

It’s pretty common here to just have one open enrollment period in the fall for the next year. So it’s probably too soon to know if premiums will increase for 2022. I’m hoping many companies will do as they do for cigarette smoking and charge higher premiums if you are not vaccinated.

I didn't think your electronic record keeping was very good. I know that paper can be forged; I would think that the electronic records could be hacked. If you premium was going up a lot and you were on the side of 'freedom', I would think you would be very motivated to subvert a policy like that. I could definitely see hacking businesses popping up for specifically that purpose. 

28 minutes ago, lewelma said:

I didn't think your electronic record keeping was very good. I know that paper can be forged; I would think that the electronic records could be hacked. If you premium was going up a lot and you were on the side of 'freedom', I would think you would be very motivated to subvert a policy like that. I could definitely see hacking businesses popping up for specifically that purpose. 

I think for smoking they just use an honor system for most companies. My insurance also incentivizes doing at least three positive health choices such as getting a flu shot, doing dental cleanings, etc. Again, it is self-reported. My husband’s used to be self reported, but now they limit it to things that will show up on your health record such as a physical, flu shot, etc. My husband and I both work for very large employers, but the insurance choices are fairly limited and everything is reported to them. For instance, when I get a flu shot at work or at a pharmacy, it is still processed through my insurance company. 

I don’t doubt that some would lie or try to submit false documents to circumvent higher premiums, but I’m guessing the insurance company would have recourse if it is discovered.

• Like 3

Our county’s rate from a week ago was 36.6%.  It was hard to find that info.  I do know our area is higher than that, but not how much higher.  And no, it doesn’t really affect our decision making.  I think current disease rates are more important than vaccination rates, and those are low.  

However, most of what we do right now cannot really be adjusted.  We have to go to doctors appointments, which is most of our outings.  When we have appointments and dh cannot work from home, the other kids have to go to whoever is available to babysit.  (My oldest babysits for shorter things near home, but I’m not comfortable with her babysitting yet when it will be longer or when neither parent is nearby.)  That and a parent picking up groceries constitutes 90% of our outings right now.  We have been attending church, dependent on how our youngest is feeling.  We have also been to the splash pad, but that is outdoors and doesn’t involve needing to get close to other people.  We have occasionally gotten together with our cousins, who are very careful about health issues.  We often have our foster girls over, but would have contact with those germs anyways from babysitting.  And our oldest has attended a small youth group with mostly the same families from church who babysit for us, and piano lessons with a teacher who is careful about health.  

We will drop church attendance and social activities if we need to based on youngest’s blood test results and covid numbers, but as much as possible we’d like to let the kids keep that bit of normal.

15 hours ago, lewelma said:

I just wonder how the health insurance companies are managing these costs? Are the premiums going up?

My family’s health insurance is from my husband’s employer. With more than a million employees, they do have leverage/bargaining power on premiums. I doubt premiums would go up due to Covid but premiums do go up slightly every year due to annual inflation. His employer also up his employer contribution portion so the annual increase ends up being negligible.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I don’t know how reliable this is. CNN is reporting that people are begging for vaccines right before being intubated. Of course they can’t get one then. 

I saw that story.  I think it’s probably somewhat sensationalized because most of the patients on the verge of being intubated are probably not talking that much.

But I definitely think there’s a regret and a wish to have been vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

We’re starting to see the Delta variant(confirmed) hit kids.  At least one was intubated and flown to a regional large hospital with febrile seizures.  I am not cancelling our disneyworld trip but we’ll probably take some precautions I wasn’t really planning on.

How do you find this information (re: confirmation of Delta)?  I tested positive at the end of June and was symptomatic two days after exposure. That sounds like how they describe Delta. 

• Like 1