Menu

Books that don’t make the lists—can you add yours?

madteaparty

I’ve posted about this before but hoping others might join me in posting somewhat unusual finds: read alouds or books that you don’t see very often mentioned. My DD and I just finished The Animal Family and I immediately handed it to my sister to read to her little DD (whose English is not great but this is a rare book of simple language and astonishing beauty). 
another one my DD loved was the short stories in The Spider’s Palace. 
Others include Good Night Mr. Tom (saving when she’s a bit older), The Bears’ Famous Invasion of Sicily. 

And for you? 

• Like 2

Fake Mustache by Tom Angleburger was a huge hit with my kids and one of the few books they still constantly reference.

We found The Well of Sacrifice to be one of the most gripping historical fiction read alouds we ever did.

One of the later Melendy books was also a favorite for us here for years. I think people still read The Saturdays, but for some reason And Then There Were Five was the one that my kids were obsessed by.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of my personal favorites is The Tune is in the Tree by Maud Hart Lovelace (author of the Betsy Tacy books!).  This has been recently reprinted so it is actually affordable again.  I paid $$$ for my vintage copy. 

Anything reprinted by Purple House Press:  https://www.purplehousepress.com  (I've ordered lots of the novel/chapter book length books they've reprinted and haven't been disappointed yet!).

The Trolley Car Family is super cute (out of print, unfortunately)

Kate Seredy's books are not super unknown, but not super well known either.  My fave of hers is The Chestry Oak, but I also love The Good Master and The Singing Tree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope 

haha! I was going to come back to this and add The Perilous Gard! 😉 

Also, Two Are Better Than One (Brink) -- a sweet old-fashioned girl book.

And, The Little White Horse (Goudge) -- slightly mysterious "forgotten/hidden estate", and slightly poignant with a "second chance" theme

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2021 at 2:26 PM, PeterPan said:

What age is this for? We super loved Teddy Robinson when my dc were little. Very witty, very British. And don't somebody go saying Paddington is just as good because it's NOT. :biggrin:

Paddington is just not good. I can't wrap my head around Pippi Longstocking, either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Adele Geras’ Apricots at Midnight, for a novel, and the Boo and Baa series about Swedish sheep, for picture books.

ETA: Fog Magic by Julia Sauer, about a girl who has a magical land appear in the fog. 

And Loiusa May Alcott’s Eight Cousins!

Edited by Eilonwy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2021 at 11:26 PM, Lori D. said:

And, The Little White Horse (Goudge) -- slightly mysterious "forgotten/hidden estate", and slightly poignant with a "second chance" theme

This is my favorite book. Well, it's one of the top three; the others are "Understood Betsy" and "The Chestry Oak." I found a British first in a junk store for about $10. I have seen copies for $100 or more. Those three books are the model for honesty, selflessness, integrity, and bravery. I don't know why they aren't at the top of every list. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2021 at 3:34 PM, ScoutTN said:

Straw into Gold by Gary Schmidt Is one we stumbled upon and really enjoyed. 

Anything written by Gary Schmidt.

59 minutes ago, MeaganS said:

Pushcart War. It's funny and a great intro into the reasons some wars happen as well as the role of the press and propaganda. 😊

Yes! 

The War with Mr. Wizzle. Remembered laughing through it as a kid, and spent 1 whole long dark winter day a few years back reading it out loud to my own kids, all of us gasping in laughter, pausing only for short food breaks, howling at the antics in the story. YMMV, but good clean old-fashioned fun, New England boarding school style. 

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 2