Menu

Covid question... yet again.

WildflowerMom

this has probably been covered somewhere but because with my stressful week, my brain power is zilch. 

I’ve been vaxed with Pfizer, both doses.  Last vax was April 13.   I got a massage yesterday (medical massage) and did not wear a mask.   My massage therapist was dx’d with covid today.  She wore a mask.  Obviously we where in close quarters, tiny room, and we know each other so we literally talk from the second I walk in till I walk out.  
doctors office called and told me to watch for symptoms.   I asked what are the symptoms if you’ve been vaxed?  Are they the same symptoms as without a vax?   She didn’t know.  I think this may be a stupid question, but I sure as heck don’t want to spread this crap, if I do in fact have it.  Could I be carrying it to other people and not get symptoms myself?     She focuses on the neck so she is literally hanging all over and around my face the entire time.   
ideas or advice is appreciated. 

• Sad 2

According to CDC, fully vaxed folks do not have to isolate while watching for symptoms if they  have a known exposure. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

I do think symptoms are the same, but *should* the vaccine fail and you get it, it would likely be very mild.  

That link will take you to the "after you've been vaccinated" info, and from there you can click around to find symptom lists if needed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would be masking constantly for the next 5 days and then I would get tested. I wouldn’t want to risk potentially spreading anything to others, including family members. I know the risk is low because you are fully vaccinated, but I still wouldn’t take any chances.

I’m so sorry this happened to you. 😞 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I actually do mask everywhere but it’s cumbersome to get a message on my neck and have a face mask on and then turning over on the table with the face mask on in the little face hole is aggravating.   I only stopped masking once I get in the room, because I’m fully vaxxed.  😒    
and it wouldn’t seem like such a big deal but we are talking closely and constantly the whole time so it’s not like a regular dr visit where someone is seated several feet away.   I guess I’ll just hope for the best.  

I’m about to call her and see if I can bring her anything and drop it on the front porch. 

• Like 1

I'd get tested 5 days after exposure. And avoid public spaces if you can for those 5 days. If you can't mask and distance, just in case. 

Brief exposure I'd be less worried, but for an hour up close with her "droplets" falling toward your face.....yeah, I'd get tested. If nothing else, it adds data to our knowledge of how well these things are working. 

Oh, and if you find somewhere doing rapid testing, which would be pretty accurate at 5 days, my experience was that it was NOT the deep nose dive. And some places are doing saliva testing. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Was she waiting on a test and still working? 

Was she symptomatic? 

No symptoms until this morning when she woke up feeling mildly achy and decided to get tested, just in case.   I've talked to her husband.  She's feeling pretty ok right now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

No symptoms until this morning when she woke up feeling mildly achy and decided to get tested, just in case.   I've talked to her husband.  She's feeling pretty ok right now. 

Not for anything, but as a medical massage therapist, I strongly believe that she should have been vaccinated — or disclosed to you that she was not — so you could have made an educated decision as to whether or not to remove your own mask.

I assume you probably figured she was vaccinated, and that was why you felt comfortable being unmasked during your massage.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Actual symptoms would be the same, I understand. But people can be asymptomatic.   To be very careful you might get tested in five days even without symptoms. Or if you mask in public like we do in our area, just wait to see if you get symptoms. 

this.

dh was just talking to a very long time friend.  They have their daughter's family living with them, and one of them was diagnosed, so everyone had to be tested.  dh's friend and wife both tested positive, neither are symptomatic.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Not for anything, but as a medical massage therapist, I strongly believe that she should have been vaccinated — or disclosed to you that she was not — so you could have made an educated decision as to whether or not to remove your own mask.

I assume you probably figured she was vaccinated, and that was why you felt comfortable being unmasked during your massage.

I agree with this. 

Both my dentist's and my primary care physician's offices called some time ago and told us, all patient-facing staff have been vaccinated; please do not defer routine checkup or other visits. These are unprecedented times, and Communication Is All during this weird re-entry phase.  At this point, if medical service providers have opted not to vaccinate, their patients deserve to know that information so the patients can, in turn, opt to go vs go double-masked vs seek out another provider or whatever.

That said, she did well to reach out promptly once diagnosed.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

Both my dentist's and my primary care physician's offices called some time ago and told us, all patient-facing staff have been vaccinated; please do not defer routine checkup or other visits.

That's amazing.  When I asked the receptionist at my dentist's office whether the dentists and hygienists had been vaccinated, her answer was, "Uh, i don't know.  I don't ask people that question."  

When DH and i were finally fully vaccinated and went in, we were both very pleasantly surprised to discover that actually, the medical staff was taking the pandemic extremely seriously.  Not only had they all been vaccinated, but the doctors had long since had a new ventilation and air filtration system installed and they had all sorts of other protocols in place as well.  If I had known this, I would have gone in months ago.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I honestly did assume she was vaxxed.  I figured they all were (everyone working in the dr's office).    I'll be quarantining at home and see what happens, I guess.  

• Sad 5

There is no need to do anything differently unless you develop symptoms, at which point you test. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/diagnostic-testing.html

The following people who have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 do not need to get tested if they do not have COVID-19 symptoms:

• Thanks 1