Menu

We may have found land. Or maybe I’ll cry.

Carrie12345

Coming out of hibernation to root for you on this. We lost a piece of land here a few years ago with a neighbor and a last minute right of first refusal that wasn’t communicated until we were in the middle of the contract process. I’m glad your situation is happening earlier in the deal than ours did and praying the phone call works out. I know how long and hard you’ve been trying with finding property and sincerely hope this dream comes true for your family.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Good for you making the call. I hope you get it!

(None of us like phone calls--making them or taking them. I'm always amazed at college admissions people thinking that calling prospective freshmen is a good idea.)

I actually prefer phone calls. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Rooting for you Carrie12345!

FINAL LAND UPDATE:

No response.  I’m upset about it.  BUT... we have a verbal agreement on another lot, sale agreement scheduled to go through in the morning!

It’s in the same neighborhood. 
also on a dead end. 
also backs to endless forest (well, sides to it)   
also is about the same size

It is a triangle vs. rectangle, and it will take us years to get it to the beauty of the other property, but it’s 40% cheaper.  The actual location is completely comparable, so we jumped on it.

I’m building a freaking house. Send wine!

• Like 42
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

FINAL LAND UPDATE:

No response.  I’m upset about it.  BUT... we have a verbal agreement on another lot, sale agreement scheduled to go through in the morning!

It’s in the same neighborhood. 
also on a dead end. 
also backs to endless forest (well, sides to it)   
also is about the same size

It is a triangle vs. rectangle, and it will take us years to get it to the beauty of the other property, but it’s 40% cheaper.  The actual location is completely comparable, so we jumped on it.

I’m building a freaking house. Send wine!

YAY!!! 

Congrats!!!  So happy for you.

Do you already have a house picked out?  How long will it take? 

15 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

YAY!!! 

Congrats!!!  So happy for you.

Do you already have a house picked out?  How long will it take? 

We do. Loan officer is just waiting on the land agreement. Builder is quoting 6-9 months. Neighborhood requires 6 months from ground breaking.

We’ll still have to survey, perc test for the septic, etc. before they can start. They use specific subcontractors on every build, so scheduling *shouldn’t be as bad as it could be with a rotating door.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh that is so exciting!!   You will have to keep us updated on everything!

Like I’d be able to resist updates, lol.  
And I’m going to be needing advice.  This is not going to be a mansion, but it’s about 2400sf plus full basement. Coming from 1100sf plus a shed. It’s a lot to wrap my head around, and we plan to take a long time to tackle furniture, organization, etc. so we can see how we use the space before throwing new stuff in there.

• Like 7

Just now, Carrie12345 said:

And I’m going to be needing advice.  This is not going to be a mansion, but it’s about 2400sf plus full basement. Coming from 1100sf plus a shed. It’s a lot to wrap my head around, and we plan to take a long time to tackle furniture, organization, etc. so we can see how we use the space before throwing new stuff in there.

Wow, so about 3 times as big?   That is going to feel so great.  How many bedrooms?  Do all your kids still live at home?  I am living vicariously through you so update as much as you want!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow, so about 3 times as big?   That is going to feel so great.  How many bedrooms?  Do all your kids still live at home?  I am living vicariously through you so update as much as you want!  

Lol.  
4 bedrooms plus proper egress for a basement room if I have any basement dwellers. My 17 wants to be a basement kid ASAP, but I don’t plan on jumping on that project right away.

3 at home right now, but I’m looking forward to having at least one big dog again, lol, and the other kids overnighting more often.  We always face the possibility of taking in two young relatives. Or finally convincing Dh to do fostering.

Kids are worried the Chihuahua is going to get lost.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Lol.  
4 bedrooms plus proper egress for a basement room if I have any basement dwellers. My 17 wants to be a basement kid ASAP, but I don’t plan on jumping on that project right away.

3 at home right now, but I’m looking forward to having at least one big dog again, lol, and the other kids overnighting more often.  We always face the possibility of taking in two young relatives. Or finally convincing Dh to do fostering.

Kids are worried the Chihuahua is going to get lost.

Cool.  I was asking because I have 5 too.  Although they are all home now, I am looking and thinking of what the future will look like.  

16 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Cool.  I was asking because I have 5 too.  Although they are all home now, I am looking and thinking of what the future will look like.  

If my 18yo was still here, the boys would still share a room and I’d remind them to be happy it’s bigger than their current one, lol. 
The worst thing about 3 bedrooms when they were little was the three boys’ age gaps. And we did it again for 6 months when they were about 20, 12, and 8. 😳. Thank goodness for new options!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Your comment on furniture took me back to my childhood. We moved into a large new house when I was 3 ½. I'm not sure how many years later that we got living room furniture (we had a den that was much used)--I was maybe 8-10? All that was in the living room until then was the piano. That room was so much fun. We built tents in there with card tables, had sleepovers, etc. My mom was so happy when she finally got furniture in there and could actually use it as was intended, but we kids were just a little disappointed, lol.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

If my 18yo was still here, the boys would still share a room and I’d remind them to be happy it’s bigger than their current one, lol. 
The worst thing about 3 bedrooms when they were little was the three boys’ age gaps. And we did it again for 6 months when they were about 20, 12, and 8. 😳. Thank goodness for new options!

Yes, I'm normally in favor of room sharing, but age gaps make it hard. My boys are 14 yrs apart, and my girls are 8 yrs apart. It's just...not really feasible. I mean, we are doing it now to a degree...but it is NO ideal. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jaybee said:

Your comment on furniture took me back to my childhood. We moved into a large new house when I was 3 ½. I'm not sure how many years later that we got living room furniture (we had a den that was much used)--I was maybe 8-10? All that was in the living room until then was the piano. That room was so much fun. We built tents in there with card tables, had sleepovers, etc. My mom was so happy when she finally got furniture in there and could actually use it as was intended, but we kids were just a little disappointed, lol.

I texted my mom to give her the update and tell her how nervous I am and she said “At least you won’t have to live there while it’s being built!”  
When I was about 7/8, my parents basically had our whole house rebuilt. It was a summer bungalow that got completely gutted except for the sunk in living room and single bathroom, with a whole new second floor. We lived there the entire time minus the two months after the tarps failed and we watched storm water pour into that living room on Thanksgiving morning.

Anyway, my sister and I would play in the framed second floor all the time, jumping from room to room between the studs. When it was partially drywalled, we dropped plastic cherries from Hi-Ho Cherry-O in there, lol. We were a little bummed when it became a mostly normal house.

Side note: I don’t think I fully bought in to the whole Boomers v. X thing until just now. I didn’t really think I was left to my own devices, but my parents let 8 and 5yos play, unsupervised, in an active construction site. So maybe there is something to that, lol.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

re "My decorating scheme is... the rug is going to lie FLAT"

12 hours ago, Jaybee said:

This was our first house for nearly all the 7 years we lived there.  We'd moved from an adorable but tiny Brooklyn space to a sprawling 4 bedroom in New Jersey.  At the time we moved we had *no kids* and two more-than-fulltime jobs, but we thought it would be our Forever Home and got it imagining the future kids that would fill it.

But we didn't have the money, or the time, or the energy, or the NEED to furnish it. So whole rooms remained completely bare for YEARS until the kids started arriving. And when they did they totally enjoyed the crawling / zooming around in baby space capsules /cushion forts / tents.

(OK now I'm tearing up a bit.)

• Like 5