Menu

Best GF pasta?

ScoutTN

My current favorite is Barilla.

I also will eat Jovial (expensive), Heartland (ok), La Veneziane (I think I've had this once; expensive), Banza (not as good but more nutritious).

I will no longer eat Tinkyada.

In general I prefer corn pasta over rice pasta.

Also, you might need to adjust the cooking times.  The times listed on the box do not always give the best results.

• Thanks 1

Ronzoni. And I've tried them all! I have to go to a particular store to find Ronzoni gluten free,everywhere else only has Barilla. But Ronzoni is way better in that it doesn't get all mushy after it cools. The other ones are gross if you don't eat them right away, IMO. 

Also, read the directions - Ronzoni calls for rinsing it after cooking, which goes against everything I was taught about cooking pasta, but it works! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, aaplank said:

Do you mind if I ask why?  That's pretty much the only brand I buy.  Thanks.

I'm very texture sensitive.  To me, the Tinkyada pasta feels mushy and gritty at the same time.  The Tinkyada pasta was probably the first gf pasta I tried and it was ok.  But once I tried a corn pasta I never looked back.  If someone were to serve me a pasta salad or pasta casserole I could probably eat it, but it would definitely not be my preference.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Ronzoni. And I've tried them all! I have to go to a particular store to find Ronzoni gluten free,everywhere else only has Barilla. But Ronzoni is way better in that it doesn't get all mushy after it cools. The other ones are gross if you don't eat them right away, IMO. 

Also, read the directions - Ronzoni calls for rinsing it after cooking, which goes against everything I was taught about cooking pasta, but it works! 

Oh, yes.  Ronzoni is good, but it is hard to find.

And also yes to rinsing.  I don't always rinse the Barilla if I'm eating it right away, but rinsing definitely helps most gf pasta.

ETA:  And also yes to eating it right away.  I cannot eat leftover gf pasta.  I have started measuring out my pasta so I make exactly the amount that I will eat.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2

Do you ever make polenta?

I purchased a humongous bag of cornmeal in March (going into lockdown) and the family has been enjoying polenta in various forms since (often topped with a red sauce). Somewhat pasta-like in function and gluten-free.

Pro tip: Ignore the ubiquitous advice to slowly stir the cornmeal into boiling salted water as a beans to avoid lumps (as it goes the opposite). Instead soak the cornmeal in a 1:5 ratio in cold water. Stir well. Then cook. Lump free.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Do you ever make polenta?

I purchased a humongous bag of cornmeal in March (going into lockdown) and the family has been enjoying polenta in various forms since (often topped with a red sauce). Somewhat pasta-like in function and gluten-free.

Pro tip: Ignore the ubiquitous advice to slowly stir the cornmeal into boiling salted water as a beans to avoid lumps (as it goes the opposite). Instead soak the cornmeal in a 1:5 ratio in cold water. Stir well. Then cook. Lump free.

Bill

Oooh that sounds good.  Do you have recipes?  

46 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Oooh that sounds good.  Do you have recipes?  

No, I just wing it.

Simmer the cornmeal with water, salt, and typically add rosemary and thyme from the garden, fresh garlic and butter/olive oil.

Polenta requires some stirring and has a fairly long cooking time. Don't cook too at too high a temp as it thickens as it can plop up and burn you (lava-like). You need to cook until the consistency changes (starts to get a little gelatinous).

When done you can serve directly topped with cheese and/or red sauce. Adaptable. Like pasta.

The polenta can also be fried or baked (once cooked).

Definitely comfort food.

Bill

• Like 1

I recently purchased gluten-free pasta at Walmart in their refridgerator gluten-free/dairy-free case,  It was the BEST tasting and closes tasting to regular tasting pasta.  The pasta did not fall apart like Barilla and other brands.  I'm sorry I dont know the brand.  All the brands listed in the past posts I tried.  They all fall apart when eating it, whether I cook them a short time or the recommended time.  The new ones I bought at Walmart did not fall apart and were very tasty.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Junie said:

Oh, yes.  Ronzoni is good, but it is hard to find.

And also yes to rinsing.  I don't always rinse the Barilla if I'm eating it right away, but rinsing definitely helps most gf pasta.

ETA:  And also yes to eating it right away.  I cannot eat leftover gf pasta.  I have started measuring out my pasta so I make exactly the amount that I will eat.

Yeah, the ONLY one we can eat leftover wise is Ronzoni. And even then it isn't AS good as first made, but not disgusting like all the others I've tried. 

22 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Thanks, y’all. 
My Publix has almost all these brands. Maybe I’ll get a couple and we’ll do a real time comparison. 

Publix is where I buy Ronzoni. It is actually the ONLY reason I make a trip there, lol. It's further and more expensive than other stores, but only place that has Ronzoni. My chiro is in the same plaza so once a week I go to chiro and hit Publix for pasta and a few other fun things. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Katie and others, does the Ronzoni hold up for a cold pasta salad? That’s something I miss.  

Rinsing the pasta is essential if you want pasta salad (or a pasta casserole).  I've used the Barilla for this and I think it works ok.  

55 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Katie and others, does the Ronzoni hold up for a cold pasta salad? That’s something I miss.  

Yes, if you rinse it well. And cook in a big pot with lots of water. Keeps the excess starch from getting mushy. At least, I think it would work well, but I limit my starch so haven't made it. 

Bionaturae used to have the best GF pasta made from soy, rice and potato flours. No one could not tell the difference at all. Then they ruined it by reformulating last year to be a rice and lentil pasta. You can see all the people complaining when they started getting that shipped to them instead of the original. I have since begrudgingly gone to Barilla GF. 

We haven't liked Tinkyada, Banza, Jovial, Ronzoni, Cascaidan Farms, Ancient Harvest, whatever is at Trader Joes. I will chose to buy Safeway Signature Select (the generic grocery store brand) over these. And a third choice if I had to would be Ronzoni. 

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

We prefer Barilla GF, but to be honest, I don't know if we have tried Ronzoni. 

I do use Tinkyada brown rice lasagna noodles but I undercook them quite a bit.  

I find that gluten-free pasta absorbs a lot of water so if we are making soup with pasta, we cook the pasta separate, spoon it into the bowl, and pour the soup over top.  

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 2:40 PM, Selkie said:

Jovial is my preferred brand.

We had Jovial for the first time last week and it was great.  Neither my ds or dh realized it was gluten free.  I cook it with a bit of oil and rinsed it afterward.  It was great the next day too!

• Like 1