The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski

Wenceslas by Geraldine McCaughren

Song of the Stars by Sally Lloyd-Jones 

The Grinch, of course. 

For RAs:

A Christmas Carol and The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

We have a family tradition wherein I read The Gift of the Magi aloud and sob while my kids mock me relentlessly. So for real I think the Gift of the Magi is overwrought and fairly silly, but it still makes me cry, and the version with Lisbeth Zwerger illustrations is beautiful. 

Others: The Nativity, illustrated by Julie Vivas

Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree

Tree of Cranes

Winter's Gift

The Great Wolf and Good Woodsman

For chapter books, The House Without a Christmas Tree

• Like 3

Top favorites:
Letters from Father Christmas (Tolkien)
Christmas Every Day (Howells)

Other favorites:
Dance in the Desert (L'Engle) -- technically takes place after Christmas: when the toddler Christ child and family flee to Egypt
The Thirteen Days of Christmas (Overton)
The Christmas Doll (Woodruff)
The Family Under the Bridge (Carlson)
The 101 Dalmatians (Smith)
A Christmas Carol (Dickens) -- for young children, this abridged/illustrated version is very nice

Favorite Picture Books
A Small Miracle (Collington)
The Remarkable Christmas of the Cobbler's Sons (Sawyer)
The Christmas Knight (Curry)
The Last Straw (Thury)
When It Snowed That Night (Faber) -- lovely short free verse poems of animals coming to see baby Jesus
The Other Wise Man (by Henry van Dyke - this is the abridged retelling by Pamela Kennedy)
The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree (Houston)
Trouble at Christmas (Johnson)
Jan Brett's Christmas Treasury (Brett)
Richard Scarry's Christmas Mice (Scarry)
B is for Bethlehem: A Christmas Alphabet (Wilner)
The Tall Book of Christmas (Elliot) -- collection of poems and stories; it is the story about Giant Grummer that is the favorite 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Mitten by Jan Brett.  It’s not about Christmas, but it’s a winter tale with lots of snow.

Red Boots for Christmas—this is based on an animated movie of an old German folk story.  The movie is my favorite Christmas movie and the book is pretty sweet.

The Christmas Mouse—this is OOP.  It’s the story of the writing of Silent Night.  I was given this book as a child, and adore it.

• Like 1

Christmas Day in the Morning by Pearl S. Buck - my favorite!  There's an old 70's short movie of it, but the book is even better. 

Santa Mouse is the Christmas eve book my husband grew up with. It is a sweet story, and we leave out a cube of cheese for Santa Mouse along with cookies for Santa.

Stubby Pringles Christmas is my mom and dad's favorite. My parents would stay up late wrapping gifts on Christmas Eve, and one year sometime in the 80's, this movie with Beau Bridges came on the TV about a cowboy who wanted to go to a Christmas Eve dance and his adventure along the way. My parents loved it and talked about it for years. My mom didn't know the name of the movie but remembered it, and was able to find the movie through the miracle of the internet several years ago. Last year I happened to find out that it was actually a book. My dad was delighted to get the book last year for Christmas!!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, athena1277 said:

I love ‘Twas The Night Before Christmas.  There’s lots of differently illustrated books out there.  We have at least 2, plus The Cajun Night Before Christmas (because I grew up in LA) and the Alabama Night before Christmas (because dh is a Bama fan) for funnsies.

Yay for Cajun Night Before Christmas! (We lived in LA for 7 yrs.) "Sacre! he axclaim. My pant got a hole! I done sot myself on dem red hot coal!" This line always made us laugh and laugh.

• Like 2

When the kids were little we read Jotham's Journey for Advent.  There are two others that tell the story from the point of view of different characters, which can be read other years:  Bartholomew's Passage and Tabitha's Travels.  

There are a bunch of others we enjoyed, but I'll have to double check the titles tomorrow.  

• Like 1