Menu

Fashion ?? Little black dress, black pumps, and what color of hose?

The fashion magazines have all been showing that we are supposed to be wearing tights this year. I saw tights at Wal-Mart the other day and there were all sorts of colors, greys and blacks, and some had subtle designs in them.

Would the tights match the shoes? I think tights look kind of dumb with shiny shoes.

Has anyone else been seeing all this fashion stuff about tights? It's in all the magazines...

For some reason the fashion people hate pantyhose. I love it, but I guess it's "out."

Ok--I've researched the tights, and it seems to be a trend for 20-somethings wearing mini skirts. So, if you're not 20 something and not wearing a mini-skirt it won't work.

If it were me, in real life, (at age 35) I would wear either sheer black or nude with a little shimmer bought from somewhere like Victoria's Secret, but not plain nude.

Well, I think that tights COULD work but it would really depend on the dress and the shoes. You would be safer to just go with a sheer, shimmery nude. I think black would probably work too, but it's not my personal preference. :001_smile:

Here is an example of dressy with tights. Click on page 4 if it doesn't take you there automatically.

Should I wear sheer black or a nude color? This is for a Christmas cocktail-type party.

TIA!

15-20 years ago, I personally would have worn sheer black. Now, I find less is more for me (color, that is, in this case) and I would definitely wear nude hose with this outfit. For me, I would feel black hose would be just too much of a good thing, kwim?

I'm no fashionista, but I like think sheer black would look best. You should make this a poll. ;) Then you could get lots of quick input.

I am no longer "with it" with fashion either, but my ds played the piano for a benefit a few weeks ago, and I did see the tight thing a bit. I know it is "in," but to me it looked out of place. I thought the picture that someone attached was funky and fun, but this is a sleeveless tank-type dress out of crepe with ruching (sp?) down each side. I just think it is too "dressy" for the tights. Or, another way to look at it, I am not bold enough to try it! :D

Hmm. I am leaning towards nude, but I hadn't considered shimmer. Not sure if I will have time to purchase a shimmery pair before tomorrow. The hose I have are "ultra-sheer."

I hadn't considered NO hose. It is going to be cold (of course, I will have on a sleeveless dress :lol:), and I am not sure my varicose veins can tolerate that anyway.

Thanks for the input! It is nice to have currently have this issue as my only "problem." I wish all issues were this simple.

Gosh, I totally disagree with most...I would go with nude hands down. With black, it is just too much black. You start to look sort of "goth" or something. Nude or without is my opinion.

I would probably go with nude, too, but I could tolerate black. Not without, though. First, I don't like wearing shoes bare-footed (except for obvious, casual sandals), and second, wearing hose just adds an element of bling or something, lol.

Ok--I've researched the tights, and it seems to be a trend for 20-somethings wearing mini skirts. So, if you're not 20 something and not wearing a mini-skirt it won't work.

If it were me, in real life, (at age 35) I would wear either sheer black or nude with a little shimmer bought from somewhere like Victoria's Secret, but not plain nude.

No, no. Tights are acceptable for all :) I wear a lot of skirts and prefer tights. They're warmer, they're more fun, they last longer, and they tone down my outfits to make them less dressy.

And as much as I love tights I would never wear them with a cocktail dress or out for a "nicer" evening. I was at a dinner last night and I wore nude hose with my skirt along with my heels (instead of my casual tights and tall boots).

I really like the look of nude hose rather than black hose. I see a lot more of the older crowd wearing black hose and the younger (ie. in their 30's andd 40's) crowd tends to wear nude hose more often. I wore a black cocktail dress and black patent leather heels two weeks ago to a function and I thought it looked great :)

Sarah (enjoying festivity after festivity this year)

And the tights with "dressy" - LOL I had to laugh. I would not wear the color "mustard" on any part of my body EVER. And I also don't totally consider that outfit "dressy." Trendy, funky, maybe...not dressy.

OK. I have attached another photo... this one of Eva Mendes all dressed up. I'm sorry to break it to you, but in 2008 sheer *black* hose are out (think Joan Collins in Dynasty) and tights are in. If you still think no on the tights, wear nude hose as others have suggested.

http://www.usmagazine.com/node/3670

Margaret

And the tights with "dressy" - LOL I had to laugh. I would not wear the color "mustard" on any part of my body EVER. And I also don't totally consider that outfit "dressy." Trendy, funky, maybe...not dressy.

I wasn't referencing the picture with the mustard tights - I definitely agree that that is a more casual look. :D The dressy look is on page four after you click through the link - I wish I knew how to link directly to it.

OK. I have attached another photo... this one of Eva Mendes all dressed up. I'm sorry to break it to you, but in 2008 sheer *black* hose are out (think Joan Collins in Dynasty) and tights are in. If you still think no on the tights, wear nude hose as others have suggested.

http://www.usmagazine.com/node/3670

Margaret

Margaret is right about the black shears being outdated..really nude hose is too. Bare legs or tights are "in." That being said, I go with DH to a lot of conservative political events and still see it. Unless the original poster is going to a super trendy event with mostly twentysomethings, it is not going to matter. She should wear what she thinks looks nice with her dress.

Margaret is right about the black shears being outdated..really nude hose is too. Bare legs or tights are "in." That being said, I go with DH to a lot of conservative political events and still see it. Unless the original poster is going to a super trendy event with mostly twentysomethings, it is not going to matter. She should wear what she thinks looks nice with her dress.

Just a bunch of middle-agers like myself! :lol:

And, really, this party is always sooooo crowded anyway...I'm not anyone will even be able to see my legs since we will be packed in like sardines.

I do have tights....I do know they are "in," but I just don't think I can pull it off. :(

I appreciate the advice. I always find it amazing when I see that a post like this has over 400 hits!

Hmm. I am leaning towards nude, but I hadn't considered shimmer. Not sure if I will have time to purchase a shimmery pair before tomorrow. The hose I have are "ultra-sheer."

I hadn't considered NO hose.

Nor should you. No hose is fine for long skirts, outdoors, during the day. Cocktail wear means hose, and "ultra-sheer" are evening hose.

Nude would also be fine, in ultra-sheer, and as long as they are actually a reasonable approximation of the color of your flesh and not that god-awful orange color (that does not occur in healthy flesh in the natural world).

"In" or "out" is fine if you're 20. If you're an adult going to a cocktail party, classic is best.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse
more unfettered pantyhose snobbery

Q/A from Stacy London ("What Not to Wear") column:

Q: I'm in a wedding in December. We are wearing knee-length black cocktail dresses. Is it OK to go bare-legged in December? I hate pantyhose. — JoAnn Bryden, Lincoln, R.I.

Dear Bare-Legged in December,

I love bare legs in all seasons, so if you want to go with bare, go for it. However, just remember there are great options for covering your legs in the evening. Fishnets never go out of style for cocktail attire. If you feel like those weigh down your legs, try a nude sheer hose with a black back seam. They are endlessly sexy and alluring and a great compliment to evening wear, especially if your dress shows a lot of skin on top.

Q: I'm in a wedding in December. We are wearing knee-length black cocktail dresses. Is it OK to go bare-legged in December? I hate pantyhose. — JoAnn Bryden, Lincoln, R.I.

I love bare legs in all seasons, so if you want to go with bare, go for it. However, just remember there are great options for covering your legs in the evening. Fishnets never go out of style for cocktail attire. If you feel like those weigh down your legs, try a nude sheer hose with a black back seam. They are endlessly sexy and alluring and a great compliment to evening wear, especially if your dress shows a lot of skin on top.

But, I would have NO idea where to find such by 5:30 p.m. tomorrow! :D

I'm sorry. The only proper answer to that is "wear what the bride asks you to". There is, after all, a reason a number of women show up at a wedding in identical, often gruesome, dresses that generally do not flatter any of their body types... It is not individuality. Showing up as the ONE bridesmaid in fishnets would be tacky. :blink: