Menu

Does anyone own a marble run toy?

Ha! Yes, we have one. It is MUCH loved by my ds3 and ds5. Seriously, they play with it every. single. day. My ds3 will build his own creations with it for up to half an hour. He calls it "linking robes" (a misunderstanding/mispronounciation of "marble maze").

The only thing ds5 asked my mil to get him for Christmas is a new, "cooler" one he saw in the Toys r Us catalog.

About 10 years ago I purchased 3 small plastic sets on clearance after Christmas. We keep them in a large drawer/box next to the Duplos (over 700 pieces) and about 500 Zoobs! ALL of my girls still play with them... when I taught high school science my Physics class loved them too:tongue_smilie:

We have that exact marble run -- we got a small set and then got the set with the motorized elevator, both from RR. The pieces from both sets go together. Everything is easy to fit together and really works well. I would say to get the largest set you can to be creative. Most kids want to build high, and you need at least 3 upright columns for stability. I like that you can add to these sets. Also, the vortex feature is really great and is not found in all marble runs.

We also like the Techno Gears sets.http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1228278026-1401280&subject=19&category=6290

Edited by Alessandra

We've had the one sold by Discovery Toys for a few years and my son still plays with it often. He's getting a different one from Rainbow Resource for Christmas. He's obsessed with them, but then, he's kind of an odd duck when it comes to such things. His sisters liked them too, they just don't twitch in excitement over them. :tongue_smilie:

I'll be the minority vote. I can't for the life of me figure out why a marble run would be of interest ~ unless one is passing time in a doctor's waiting room or some such.:tongue_smilie: Apparently my boys feel the same; the one they received several years ago saw virtually no use whatsoever. I was happy to move it out, and they've never missed it.

I'll be the minority vote. I can't for the life of me figure out why a marble run would be of interest ~ unless one is passing time in a doctor's waiting room or some such.:tongue_smilie: Apparently my boys feel the same; the one they received several years ago saw virtually no use whatsoever. I was happy to move it out, and they've never missed it.

Same experience here. My youngest got one for Christmas last year and played with it for a week (after it took me hours to set it up.) Soon after he began dismantling it and creating other uses for it. It's now in a box in my garage.

We have a nice wooden one that my kids enjoyed. I think we got it from Constructive Playthings or something like that. They really enjoyed it. Gee, maybe we can incorporate this into our physics study this year.

That reminds me that I should go through my kids better quality toys that they are done playing with to see if they want to sell them on e-bay:). Free up some cash for Christmas!

Thanks everyone. My 7 year old saw one in a Mindware catalog and said he'd like one. My kids are a little strange. Once they took a picture out of an I Spy book of one of those marble runs and tried to replicate it with all sorts of things they already own.

Out of my three boys, I can imagine Aaron having liked one and Ben liking it, but not Nathan. Nathan would rather set up rainforest habitats on his table while listening to an audio book. Aaron and Ben are the construction, spatial ones in the family. Ben was the one who played with pattern blocks for hours when young. :)

We have the one in the middle of the second row, the Classic. We've had it for 9 years, and it is still a favorite. My kids call it the ball-skate, a name they invented when they were little. It's like a new toy every time they set it up because it's different every time. It involves some engineering type thinking skills to make sure it will work. The marbles make a cool sound as they click and roll through the channels. The wheels spin around. I'm guessing that the clear tubes would add another level of enjoyment, but we don't have those. I'd highly recommend it.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

Thanks everyone. My 7 year old saw one in a Mindware catalog and said he'd like one. My kids are a little strange. Once they took a picture out of an I Spy book of one of those marble runs and tried to replicate it with all sorts of things they already own.

Out of my three boys, I can imagine Aaron having liked one and Ben liking it, but not Nathan. Nathan would rather set up rainforest habitats on his table while listening to an audio book. Aaron and Ben are the construction, spatial ones in the family. Ben was the one who played with pattern blocks for hours when young. :)

We have this one and it's played with a fair amount.

The biggest reason it's not played with more is the toddler. We had an experience with ds6 when he was 2 where he choked (couldn't breath at all) on a Hungry Hungry Hippo marble. Ever since then I have a paranoia about marbles.

But they love it when they get to play with it.