Menu

Favorite Christmas Music...

Guest Alte Veste Academy

For starters, did you know that Harry has another Christmas album out this year? I was so excited.

What a Night

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Christmas-Album-Harry-Connick/dp/B001EYGOHE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1228276639&sr=8-1

Other favorites...

Josh Groban - Noel

Sarah McLachlan - Wintersong

Burl Ives - The Very Best of Burl Ives Christmas

Andrea Bocelli - Sacred Arias

Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song

Andy Williams - The Andy Williams Christmas Album

Handel - The Messiah

Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker Suite

The Lennon Sisters - Noel

Christmas with the Rat Pack

Because I'm a child of the 70s...

A Charlie Brown Christmas

A Christmas Together (by the Muppets and, of course, The Muppet Christmas Carol)

I also have countless cds filled with music my father (through some magic of technology) recorded from the albums from my childhood. They play on my iPod in all their glory--scratches, skipping and all. You have to have some Sinatra, Gene Kelly, Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Tony Bennett, etc.

Enjoy shopping!

Kristina

The Time Life Treasury of Christmas - just a wonderful collection of songs

Elvis Christmas

Ella Fitzgerald

Frank Sinatra Christmas

Bing Crosby

Johnny Mathis

Bare Naked Ladies - Bare Naked for the Holidays - great cd - Elfs Lament is my Christmas ringtone.

Michael Buble (sp?)

and....

They have a new Elvis cd out this Christmas. It's a cd of Christmas duets with people like Sara Evans, Martina McBride, Carrie Underwood, Wynonna, etc... GREAT cd.... think Natalie Cole and Nat King Cole singing Unforgetable.

Val

David Foster Christmas album. I have had it for over 15 years. My DD got married 10 years ago and it is still a favorite in her house.

My younger daughter just heard it again at her sister's house and now she wants it. Carol os the Bells is fabulous!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m_3_13?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=david+foster+christmas&sprefix=david+foster+

Trans siberian Orchestra is another family favorite.

The Ghosts of Christmas Eve is a PBS special we watch everyyear. The others are great too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m_1_14?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=transsiberian+orchestra+christmas&sprefix=transsiberian+

Kenny G's Christmas albums are good, but our favorite is the Holiday one.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=kenny+g+christmas&sprefix=Kenny+G+C

Manheim Steamroller recommendations here. That would be my FIRST choice. I LOVE their stuff. I also like the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Christmas cd's - very cool. All of those are instrumental.

For other music, we just get compilation cd's with all the good, classic Christmas oldies.

4Him Christmas album, must be 15 years old and I wear it out every year. Barbara Streisand (I know she's Jewish, but wow) Her 1st one with the great Jingle Bells.

Bing Crosby with his great Jingle Bells.

I don't know where to find it but, Louie Armstrong does "Baby, its cold outside" and it's great. (Caution, don't let the kids hear that one. He wants her to stay the night, and while I don't advocate those things I really like the song. Please forgive me. :D)

That's all I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned. Have fun!

Hands down, this is my favorite Christmas album of all time. The artist's name is Sufjan Stevens. We downloaded it on a whim last year from itunes. For $15 you get over 40 songs. His take on these classic songs is so unique, and the harmonies are just gorgeous. There are also quite a few hymns in addition to the typical Christmas carols. There's a CD version on amazon.com as well if you don't want the mp3 download, but I'm not sure if all the songs come on it or not.

The Charlie Brown cd is the new favorite around here! When I was a classroom teacher I had a great Julie Andrews Christmas album on lp that I played all month long. I requested something that just might (fingers crossed!) be the same one from the library, but it hasn't come in yet.

Try these:

"O Come All Ye Faithful" and others by Choir of King's College, Cambridge (men/boys choir)

"Christmas with the Cambridge Singers" and others by Cambridge Singers

"American Christmas" by Boston Camerata

any Christmas album by Robert Shaw Chorale

"Messiah", of course (I like King's College or John Rutter)

For something different, try the Irish Tenors "Home for Christmas".

Wendi

Noël by Joan Baez

An Ancient Muse by Loreena McKennitt

O Come All Ye Faithful: Christmas Carols at King's College, Cambridge by

King's College Choir

Holiday Songs And Lullabies by Shawn Colvin

A Nonesuch Christmas

Noël: Carols & Chants for Christmas - Anonymous 4

A Music Box Christmas by Rita Ford

Weihnachten - A German Christmas

And many more....

• 3 weeks later...
We absolutely love One Wintry Night - appalachian dulcimer and stuff. A HUGE hit here.

You can find it at amazon, I'm just too lazy to link it! ;)

I got this for my Highland dancing all-things-Scottish-loving 17 yo dd and she absolutely loves it!! Thanks so much for the suggestion, Heather! :)

It has all the classics, excerpts from the Messiah, and Jesu, Joy of My Desiring.

A very obscure CD that I really like is from the Mount Olive Lutheran Church in Milwaukee, Wisconsin--it's a Christmas concert celebration. The church has a parochial school and a great choir, wonderful organ, and good bell choir, and the CD is very homey to a church like that, high in quality but clearly a true church service, not just a performance. It reminds me a lot of the church that I grew up in.

(I'm Lutheran, not Mormon)

What a fun thread!

Here are some of my favorites:

Bing Crosby

Christmas in Europe

Christmas All-Time Greatest Records (compliation of songs sung by Bing, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Dean Martin, etc.)

Christmas at Mountain Stage

All on a Christmas Morning/Aengus (Celtic)

Some of yours sound really interesting - I haven't bought new Christmas music in ages - the first three albums above I like because they remind me of my childhood (crooners and German carols); the latter two are among a number of newer ones I've bought since being an adult but they're the ones I've really taken to. Fun to have pointers to new stuff. :001_smile:

I have a suggestion for something a little different. Someone we know recently put out a CD. It's called Home is Where the Word Lives and has songs in different musical styles (not just your average Christmas music) which tell the story of the events leading up to, including, and following Jesus' birth as well as some about family. They are all original songs written by Cindy Bernardini.

Cindy actually led a children's choir which I was in when I was in 8th and 9th grades. The album was supposed to be put out at that time, but it never got finished. My kids have grown up hearing me sing a few of these songs to them. When putting this CD together this time, I think she went for more of a family style than a choir style hoping that they would be songs that families would sing together rather than just listening to them.

My three favorite songs on this CD are "Nothing is Impossible" (because Cindy sings it herself and she has such a beautiful voice), "A Story to Be Told", and "Grandpa's Story".

You can find the order form for the CD ($15 including shipping and handling) here.