Menu

Leggings with POCKETS

Ottakee

As I exercise more and want to hike more, I would love to have some leggings with POCKETS....like big enough for my car remote starter and my cell phone.

I am plus size, usually a 2 x in leggings and have heavy legs.

Any ideas of brands/styles?  Likely just plain black for now.  

Has anyone tried those pop fit leggings that I see on FB all the time....you get a pair free and just pay S&H.

• Like 1

The black version of Lands End's "Starfish Jeans" aren't anything like jeans — they are basically a thick cotton & spandex knit, like yoga pants, but they have back pockets that are the same size as the normal pockets on jeans (not little key pockets or those side-of-the-leg "pockets" some workout pants have). They're just as comfortable as leggings but cover a little more and the pockets are awesome. I live in them. The size range goes from XS to 3X, regular/petite/tall, and they're currently on sale for $20-22. 

(It's hard to see the style in the photos of the black ones, so just look at the denim ones to get an idea of the waistband, pockets, etc. The style is exactly the same in both colors, just totally different materials.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

YES! I tried the ones on FB, Popfit. Now have like 7 pairs. Love them. One pair is having a bit of a seam start to unravel, but I think I put it on the wrong wash cycle, and no others have had issues. These are my go-to wear, really all I wear if I can.

eta: I'm also plus-size. They seem true to size, I'm a 3x and they fit comfortably. If you get a style that has mesh on the legs it doesn't stretch quite as much as their others but still totally wearable. 

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 1

I have two I got from Amazon and I puffy-heart LOVE them because my phone goes in one. I’ll see if I can dig it up and post a link. They were not very expensive and I have thought about ordering a few more because they are so great! I do not know what sizes they have. 

• Like 2

The lands end starfish style pants are nice.  You can get them capri length too.  I can't even tell you how many pairs I have.

Ok - that said, I use a running belt to carry phone, keys, ID, mask when  I go out walking or hiking.  I have a few different styles, but something like this ....

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Slim-Running-Elastic-Belt/dp/B016XG39YI/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=workout+waist+bag&qid=1591554028&sr=8-11

Just another thought that would work with anything you choose to wear.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz

I love the RBX brand leggings. I get mine from amazon and the side pocket is plenty big enough for my large-ish iPhone. There would be room for a car remote as well. 

mine are similar to these:

https://smile.amazon.com/RBX-Active-Womens-Workout-Leggings/dp/B085VFGY1S/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=rbx%2Bplus%2Bsize%2Bactivewear%2Bwomens&qid=1591554385&sprefix=rbx&sr=8-4&th=1&psc=1

• Thanks 2

Off to check these out.  It is hard finding places that have the 1 or 2x in stock.

I do have a small fanny pack but I hate wearing it and would rather have a pocket for walks....but do use it for short hikes, etc.

47 minutes ago, Pen said:

Off topic: are you still doing the yoga program and liking it? 

I still didn’t quite bite and jump in. But probably should. 

I am now 8 weeks into the Stand Strong Program (uses a chair for balance and support).  I am down 16 pounds between that and small diet changes....but no big diet program.

I am able to do more of the moves better and some things are getting easier.  I still could stand to lose another 50-60 pounds or more.

For me, it is well worth it.  Mostly I enjoy it.  Once in a while I do it because I am stubborn and am not giving up.

Overall it has been very doable with modifications...using the chair or yoga blocks but he gives so many options for modifying that it is very doable.  So many other programs ramp up so fast or want you to be much better coordinated or stronger or thinner to really do them.

DDPYoga

Edited by Ottakee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

My dd has a pair from Athleta and would like us to get her more for her birthday. She said they have some kind of reward system that you pay $60 for upfront, then get 2 pair for an additional $15. I've never used Athleta, so I don't know if the rewards program is a good deal or not, but she thinks it is.

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

Off to check these out.  It is hard finding places that have the 1 or 2x in stock.

I do have a small fanny pack but I hate wearing it and would rather have a pocket for walks....but do use it for short hikes, etc.

Svaha has up to 5x!

• Like 1

I usually feel naked in leggings but I like boot cuts, which make me look a bit thinner (either balancing out large thighs or just a body type thing).  I ordered all 3 of these from Amazon a few months ago and they're all great.  No clear winner, just go with which pockets you like best.  I think all 3 have a leggings version with pockets by the same brand.  The first pair definitely has the deepest pockets, but I can't say I've ever had my iphone+ fall out of even the small pockets, even if I'm wrestling toddlers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RZS6QJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RXR5R8B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1LJM7M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

@Ottakee - what leggings did you end up ordering? I'm considering the Pop Fit (finally saw the FB ad) though I'm on the line between two sizes, so I'm not sure which to get...

I am still waiting.  Had a few minor emergencies here.  Those pop fit ones look interesting.

Sizing it what gets me.  They say true to size.....but I have 2 "true to size" exercise capris that are vastly different in size.   I just wish I could go somewhere and try some on.   Most places here still have the fitting rooms closed.

Just now, Ottakee said:

I am still waiting.  Had a few minor emergencies here.  Those pop fit ones look interesting.

Sizing it what gets me.  They say true to size.....but I have 2 "true to size" exercise capris that are vastly different in size.   I just wish I could go somewhere and try some on.   Most places here still have the fitting rooms closed.

Yes, same here. I'm between a size 18 & 20 and of course the Pop Fit sizes are 16-18/xl and 20-22/xxl. *sigh* I suppose I'll have to break out the measuring tape. 

I bought Viv legging capris from Amazon (the "yoga waistband" ones) and they are super comfy...but they're more lounge capris, not really suited for exercise. (I wear them for yoga and weights, but they are already wearing where the thighs meet).

Alright, I caved on the Pop fit. I wouldn't usually buy leggings at that price -- I'm cheap -- but the FB ad was "just pay shipping!" So I caved. Shipping to NC was ~$14. 

And then when I was checking out, an offer for another pair pops up --  $24/free shipping. So I caved again. 😵 (The site does try many upsells:  a bra! a tank top? how 'bout underwear? wanna join our monthly club? pay this extra $5 for the ability to exchange! -- I passed on all that.)

ETA is 2 weeks. I'll chime in with a review, if you're still interested in this brand. 

• 4 weeks later...

The leggings arrived this week. They're not...my fave. Very thick and weird fabric. And itchy. Also, I typically wear a 2x but based on their size chart I went with an xl. They fit my 14 year old (who wears a Lg/size 12). I'll probably try and sell them to recoup my cost. So all in all, not the best purchase for me. I'm going to try some from Amazon next...at least they have returns. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

The leggings arrived this week. They're not...my fave. Very thick and weird fabric. And itchy. Also, I typically wear a 2x but based on their size chart I went with an xl. They fit my 14 year old (who wears a Lg/size 12). I'll probably try and sell them to recoup my cost. So all in all, not the best purchase for me. I'm going to try some from Amazon next...at least they have returns. 

Thanks for the review.   This is why I want to try them on.   Feel of fabric and fit are so personalized that I want to make sure I like them.  Most stores still do not have open fitting rooms yet.

2 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Thanks for the review.   This is why I want to try them on.   Feel of fabric and fit are so personalized that I want to make sure I like them.  Most stores still do not have open fitting rooms yet.

Old Navy (at least my local one) has open dressing rooms. And Amazon often has free returns, which is nice. 

I agree about it being so subjective. I'm super picky about material. I don't like the super thick & slick-feeling leggings that a lot of stores have. 

• Like 1

Skirt Sports has added some women's sizes, and I have one of their tops and one pair of leggings.  The leggings have two big, secure pockets.  I love them.  Plus the line looks like it was engineered for my size rather than scaled up.  I can't remember if their peak size is 3X or 4X, but I know for sure they have up to 3X.

• Like 1

PS  For plus size hiking skirts with pockets, I LOVE my Sahara skirts from REI.  They are made from quick dry fabric, they wear like iron but are just flexible/adjustible enough, and they each have two big pockets with flaps, very secure.  I put my cell phone in one and keys and extra glasses in the other.  Could carry even more.  They are off to the side but not *on* the side, so I'm not going to land on the cell phone if I fall on my hip, but they are toward the front which along with the flaps means I can't lose anything out of them.  I use them for running as well as hiking and walking.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

I have one of those teeny stretchy not-a-fanny-pack things that I can put my phone, credit card and key in.  I can wear it under my shirt, and it doesn't make my britches bulge--or sag.  

Does that work well?  I have a fanny pack...a small one just big enough for my keys, phone, a few Kleenex, and an inhaler.  It is the bulgy/baggy kind though.

44 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Does that work well?  I have a fanny pack...a small one just big enough for my keys, phone, a few Kleenex, and an inhaler.  It is the bulgy/baggy kind though.

I have one, too, and I like it, but I think pockets are better because they don't pull on my stomach.  YMMV.  It's nice for when I also want to bring water though.  
Mine is an earlier version of this one, by the same company:  https://www.rei.com/product/151303/amphipod-profile-lite-high-five-k-hydration-waistpack

I especially like the slanted but central mounting of the water bottle.  I hate jiggling water bottles when I'm running.

• Like 1

I'm also plus sized and got a couple of Avia leggings and althletic shorts (skintight) from Walmart at the beginning of quarantine and they are much better quality than anything I've gotten from Old Navy or other stores.  A couple of them have pockets in and I really like the feel of them. Next time you're in Walmart, take a look! You may be surprised!