Menu

Not-enameled cast iron dutch oven

ScoutTN

Thinking about getting one. My mid-priced enameled one has some damage to the coating and I cannot afford Le Crueset.

Do you have a plain one that you use indoors? Pros and cons?

We have a camping one with legs, so I am familiar with basics of care for cast iron.

Edited by ScoutTN

I have a Dutch oven and two frying pans. I've never had any kind other than 'plain' so I don't know what the advantage of enamel is supposed to be. I would guess it's supposed to be easier to clean, but the regular ones clean up easy enough. 

The con is that they are freaking heavy, lol. Other than that, they are workhorses and do a great job. 

14 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I haven't had the results I want and am struggling to still figure it out.  

Are you preheating for long enough? It's not like a regular pot or pan, you can't skip preheating or just go for a quick couple of minutes. Ideally, start at low heat and slowly increase, it takes a good 10 minutes. 

• Like 1

I have the Lodge dutch oven linked above. I use it regularly; more often than my Instantpot, actually. I use it for soups, stews, roasts, etc. I find it easier to use on the gas range because I can control the temp better and don't have to worry about the number of coals on top.

I've never had an enamel one, though,  so I cannot compare the two.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

lodge.  they also make a modest priced enameled one that cooks similarly to pricier brands.

They do, but unlike their regular cast iron one, those are made in China. I went back and forth between their enameled and non-enameled, but that pushed me over to the non. I’m a bit suspicious of non-stick and enameled stuff anyway, and decided I didn’t feel comfortable with what might have ended up in it. My non has been great.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, livetoread said:

They do, but unlike their regular cast iron one, those are made in China. I went back and forth between their enameled and non-enameled, but that pushed me over to the non. I’m a bit suspicious of non-stick and enameled stuff anyway, and decided I didn’t feel comfortable with what might have ended up in it. My non has been great.

Yes, it's actually made in my state. Their website actually has a cool video that kids might like about how the foundry works, under the "About" tab.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

I just ordered a 5 quart Lodge one to make bread in.  The reason I did not pick an enameled one is that 500 degrees is iffy for enamel, and that's what I heat it to to bake sourdough bread in.

We have a bigger one with the legs, and its terrifying to get it out of the oven at that temperature--it's SO heavy, and the legs make it hard to set down smoothly.  So I'm hoping that this smaller one will be more reasonable to use.  The Target website says that it weighs 13 pounds, which doesn't sound so unreasonable, and it doesn't have legs so I can set it on a burner when it comes out hot like that.  It also has a domed lid which is nice for making bread.

• Like 1

Lodge is a decent mid level brand. 
I  use my enameled pans for when I am cooking something lighter tasting (especially cream sauce), heavy fish flavored (chowders), or acid (tomato based stew or fresh citrus).

Edited by Tap
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I just ordered a 5 quart Lodge one to make bread in.   
The Target website says that it weighs 13 pounds, which doesn't sound so unreasonable, and it doesn't have legs so I can set it on a burner when it comes out hot like that.  It also has a domed lid which is nice for making bread.

I bought mine from Target in store years ago.

I have several Lodge pans, a grocery store griddle, and an old, thrift store find. Hands down, the thrift store find is the best pan. I would have an entire set of cast iron if I could find that old brand elsewhere! The other pans are ok. I've had problems with the Lodge seasoning flaking, despite seasoning it. For some reason, my family doesn't like cast iron seasoning on their food. 🤣

• Like 1

I've got both. A lot of both, actually. I've got a "pot"problem. LOL.

Focusing on straight cast iron, to maximize the utility of a cast iron Dutch Oven there are two important things one should do with a new pot.

One it to try to smooth the inside of the pot. Today's Lodge--while good and fairly cheap--is not as finely sand cast or finished as the cast iron of yore. The finishing is a little rough (granular).

Smoothing out the interior improves the anti-stick qualities and improves the ease of clean up over the years.

I have a brass wire brush head that goes on a drill. New--or to be reconditioned--pots get worked with the wire brush and than are manually sanded to make smooth. I suspect "the internet" would offer various tip on other methods to smooth the interiors. A PITA, for sure, but worth the effort if you want a cheap pot to function optimally and one is willing to put in the effort to finish the pot.

Then you need to season. Most people use way too much oil. Don't over do it! Only light coats. Build up multiple very light coats.

A seasoned finish should feel "dry" and not at all sticky.

If possible use Flaxseed oil or grapeseed oil. Both polamarize to a very hard finish. Try to season outdoors or with great ventilation. I find flaxseed oil smoke sort of noxious to breathe. If those oils are impossible to source at the moment, the fall back would be filtered bacon fat.

Always apply oil for seasoning with lint-free cloth rag, not with paper towel (to avoid any fibers being embedded in the finish).

Having a great finish greatly mitigates the disadvantages of straight cast iron over enameled cast iron.

If one maintains a well-seasoned cast iron pot it should provide a lifetime of service.

My 2 cents.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My dad always cooked on non-enameled cast iron (lots of bacon, sausage, and full-fat everything!).  He hand washed those pans and took care of them as you are supposed to for 60 years or more.  Now that he’s in his 90s, he puts them in the dishwasher!!  And they are still holding their finish which is amazing - he says he’s reaping the benefit of all those years of seasoning!  🙂

Anne

• Haha 2

If you want to use it for bread as well as soups and stews, this one seems to be especially popular for that because the lid doubles as a skillet and you can use it "upside down" for bread — put the dough in the skillet and then put the pot over it like a lid. Makes it easier to score the bread before baking and easier to get it out after it's done.
https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DD3-Cast-Iron-Dutch/dp/B000LEXR0K

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

If you want to use it for bread as well as soups and stews, this one seems to be especially popular for that because the lid doubles as a skillet and you can use it "upside down" for bread — put the dough in the skillet and then put the pot over it like a lid. Makes it easier to score the bread before baking and easier to get it out after it's done.
https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DD3-Cast-Iron-Dutch/dp/B000LEXR0K

Looks like a very nice option. Like it.

I will say that if one follows the link and uses the magnifying option on Amazon that one can see just how "granularly" today's cast iron is finished. The old stuff was smoother. To make the interior finish optimal requires a new owner to do some work on the back end if they want to have an optimal piece of cast iron.

Lodge is still a good value, but their work can be improved mightily by consumers with the will and tools to finish the interiors.

I consider them "project" pots, myself.

I'd like one of these.

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks for mentioning how you use a brass brush on it @Spy Car  I think mine needs some work.  My seasoning was poorly done between uses, yet still performed nicely for both bread and pot roast.  The last time I made pot roast in it, it tasted terrible, but only to me; my family did not notice the off flavor.  Maybe it was the poor seasoning job (using regular canola oil, too heavily), using light soap when washing (it is so hard for me not to use soap=), and the wine in the pot roast liquid.  Could the wine have reacted with the pan??

Do you mind, @Spy Car walking me through the details of how to resurrect my pan and avoid problems going forward?