Menu

Shop for shoes for me...

barnwife

I am to the point in life that I must have shoes with good arch support. I live in a rural area and don't have access to a good shoe store. I am looking for shoes to wear this summer.

I need a casual sandal for errands around our (small) town. I'd also like a slide on shoe for wearing around the house. I actually much prefer to be barefoot, but can't do that if I am walking at all. So I need an easy on, easy off pair for around the house as I will kick them off any time I sit down. 

To complicate matters, I do not like having anything between my toes or around my big toe. I also have very large, very wide feet.

If it helps, I recently got a pair of the Verra sandals by Teva. I think those will be what I wear to/from our pool and taking our kids to the local lake.  Please help me shop for more shoes!

Chaco sandals in a wide....or even a men's wide would be very supportive.

They also offer a new slide style that doesn't have anything around/between your toe.

They are ugly but I wear Crocs around the house to slide off and on.

I prefer Birkenstock’s, you can get them with or without a strap behind your heal. Obviously the ones without the heal strap are easier to kick off. 

You can also find Chacos without a strap between the toes, they don’t slip off as easily (unless you adjust them loosely) but definitely have plenty of arch support. I have hiked in them although I do prefer a closed toe shoe for hiking. 

I have found both types of sandals work well on days I am on my feet all day.  Both styles can be resoled as well. 

Teva makes some dressier styles of sandals that fit your requirements, but I got mine several years ago and don’t see them or anything similar currently on their website. My kids have some more athletic looking Teva sandals that are similar to Chacos but with Velcro closures that have been working very well for them. https://www.teva.com/women-sandals/hurricane-xlt2/1019235.html?dwvar_1019235_color=BLK#start=19&cgid=women-view-all

Dansko sandals would be great for around town.  They have the most rock hard arch support ever.  When I put them on it’s like getting a massage on my arches.  For home I’d suggest Teva water sandals.  They have milder arch support but are a bit cushy and I can also hike in them.  VERY stable feel.  The only thing is, I really don’t think you can slide in and out of them as they have a back strap.  But, although I also would prefer a slide in shoe, they are really so comfortable that I think it is worth it to lose that feature.  Neither one has between the toe straps.

If you were willing to consider those toe dividers, I’d suggest Fit Flops.  They have a bit more arch support and Cush than Tevas and look a little dressier to but you can rinse them right off.  They are slip on, and they would work around town as well.  I get them at the Nordstrom Rack.

My favorite brand right now is alegria. I have had a couple pairs of sandals from them and they’ve been great   I have wider feet too   If you have a shoe store locally that specializes in orthopedic high support shoes, you may have the best results being professionally fitted. Now that I have that figured out, I can order online   

https://www.alegriashoeshop.com

I use a pair of adidas slides for around the house 

https://www.adidas.com/us/adissage-slides/F35580.html?cm_mmc=AdieSEM_Feeds-_-GoogleProductAds-_-NA-_-F35580&cm_mmca1=US&cm_mmca2=NA&ds_rl=1257009&ds_rl=1256970&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwP3yBRCkARIsAABGiPpuKYWbVwNRYhBV2JUKI2rMsBxw8IPqN6EAd_lnWdVP0ODzOvDGyy0aAkT1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&kpid=F35580&sourceid=543457011

Edited by FuzzyCatz

You need arch support?  You need Oofos.  I first tried on a pair in my local running store a couple of years ago.  At the time, I had plantar fasciitis so bad that my feet hurt every time I stood up from a seated position, and I winced as I walked around the grocery store (and held onto the cart like i was an old woman to keep pressure off of my heels).  I could still run, but walking, sitting, standing--all of that hurt.  I had tried all of the usual treatments, and some worked for a bit, but I just could not shake it.  Enter Oofos!  I wore them everywhere except work and when I was running, including around the house.  I even kept them in my car and threw them on when i came out of the office. Within three weeks, my PF was gone, and it has never come back.  Oofos aren't pretty, but they're good for my feet, and I wear them religiously (though not exclusively--my feet have healed enough to wear other shoes).  Reviews say to size up if you're a half-size,  but I am the most 7-1/2 ever, and I wear a 7 in Oofos.  They're expensive, but I dearly love them.  

I have wide feet and cannot stand anything between my toes. 

I have a pair of Arizona Birkenstocks - wide, cork foot bed - great support. Love them.  Slide on/ slide off. 

I have a pair of Chaco sandals also wide. These are nice too - great for hiking in rough or wet conditions, but I do have to sit down to fasten/unfasten. Foot bed is a bit harder though - but plenty of support. It did take a little bit to get used to. 

2 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

If you have a shoe store locally that specializes in orthopedic high support shoes, you may have the best results being professionally fitted. Now that I have that figured out, I can order online   

Actual LOL to having a specialty shoe store in my area. Does Walmart count? Or Target?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll keep taking more if anyone else has ideas.

3 minutes ago, barnwife said:

Actual LOL to having a specialty shoe store in my area. Does Walmart count? Or Target?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll keep taking more if anyone else has ideas.

Ha - well we have a chain here that actually has 15 minute appointments with a podiatrist to get recommendations and properly fit.  It's really great!