Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW9: Ladies of Fiction - Deborah Crombie

Robin M

Welcome to March and National Women's History Month as well as Irish American Heritage MonthNational Craft Month. and Paws to read Month. This week is Read an ebook week which shouldn't be to hard for any us. *grin* It is also Will Eisner's Week in celebration of his legacy, comic books, graphic novels and free speech. 

This month we celebrate our Ladies of Fiction with mystery novelist Deborah Crombie who wrote the 18 book series - Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James mysteries -  set in England.  Crombie currently resides in Texas, but still visits England frequently. She previously lived in Chester, England, and Edinburgh, Scotland. Her first novel, A Share of Death, was inspired by a past visit to Yorkshire and homesickness for England. Happy to hear she is currently working on the 19th book. 

I previously read Sound of Broken Glass, #15 in the series, totally out of order (silly me) so wasn't familiar with the characters. However, I enjoyed the story and it made me want to read the whole series, which really should be read in order as the story follows the progression of the characters lives.  I’m ready to dive into Duncan and Gemma’s world with A Share in Death.  I love a good mystery.  What is it about mysteries that draws you to them?

There are a number of ways to complete the bookology challenge, including but not limited to:

Spell out the author's name - one book per letter from the title on the cover.
Read one or more books written by the author.
Read a book written in the country or time period of the author.

Learn more about Deborah Crombie through a Q and A with Louise Penny In conversation with Barbara Peters, owner of Poisoned Pen Bookstore, and Author Stories Podcast

Link to week 8

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as share your book reviews if you like.

• Like 8

I finished Amy Meyerson’s The Bookshop of Yesterday in which I had already figured out the answer to the mystery pretty quickly.   Miranda was an odd duck though when it came to relationships which made it difficult to like her, but enjoyed the story as she went on a scavenger hunt left by her late uncle to search for the truth.

“In this tale of passion and obsession, Diana Bishop, a young scholar and a descendant of witches, discovers a long-lost and enchanted alchemical manuscript, Ashmole 782, deep in Oxford's Bodleian Library. Its reappearance summons a fantastical underworld, which she navigates with her leading man, vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont. “

Now that I finished Meyerson’s book, I’m ready to dive into Deborah Crombie’s A Share in Death.

Instead of internet browsing between things, I’m reading Deborah Harkness’s All Souls Trilogy on my Iphone and currently on book 1 A Discovery of Witches which sort of flips how Vampires act, and introduces us to the world of a witch who really doesn’t want to be a witch and must accept her own powers.

Writing wise, I’m still working my way through A Year of Writing Dangerously and reading several snippets at a time, rather than one a day.  

I’ll post my reading wrap up for February sometime this week.

• Like 9

I finished Memoirs of Vidocq!!! At last. All 1000+ pages. The fourth volume contains an odd multi-chapter account of a young prostitute/thief who attempts to reform and is thwarted by the System that won't let her escape her past. Vidocq presents this as a true story but it's clearly fictional, and is the obvious source material for Hugo's Les Misérables (Hugo was an enthusiastic promoter of Eugène Vidocq and his Memoirs). A fascinating read in need of a modern translation; the English translator, working in 1829, admits to leaving out material he considers inappropriate for more modest English morals.

Now I need to finish Great Expectations for Family Dickens. Dh better get on the ball. 

Are we continuing our list of Quarantine Reading, for those who would enjoy sitting out the Plague Apocalypse with a book about a Plague Apocalypse? I can't believe I neglected the greatest Plague Quarantine book of all time: Boccaccio's Decameron. One hundred stories told while the ten storytellers wait out the Black Death ravaging Florence in a villa outside town.

• Like 10

I read #18 in Deborah Crombie's series, A Bitter Feast,  a couple months ago and liked it very much! I'll have to check and see if my library has A Share in Death

I read Scary Stories for Young Foxes by Christian McKay Heidicker last week. It's a middle grade novel featuring two young foxes trying to survive in the deep, unforgiving forest when they get separated from their families. It's told in a fairy tale style and I think it would make a good real aloud for dark & stormy nights. 

I'm supposed to be packing (just a move into a new rental, same town) so I don't know how much reading I'll be able to do this week.

• Like 7

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

Hand and Ring by Anna Katharine Green

"A classic detective story of murder and punishment by one of America’s finest mystery writers

In a small New York town, the local legal professionals are discussing the nature of crime. Breaking the law, they conclude, does not pay in modern society, as the criminal will undoubtedly be caught. A mysterious hunchbacked stranger approaches the group to interject. “The smart ones don’t make tracks,” he says before disappearing. Meanwhile, just out of earshot, a woman has been murdered. Mrs. Clemmens was attacked in her home and there is no sign of the killer. As the case unfolds, several plausible suspects present themselves. But who actually committed the crime? And what should be made of the mysterious stranger who had such confidence in the abilities of the seasoned outlaw?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

There's no new reading news for me. I'm still reading Pompeii and still listening to Sarum. Pompeii has a bit of a mystery and some government corruption, both of which take center stage in the days leading up to the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. I have just over 5 hours left in Sarum - it was a 54 hour audio book! I believe the various print editions are all over 1,000 pages. 

I need to get back to reading The Water Dancer since the book club meeting to discuss it is Tuesday night. I'm just having a hard time getting interested and will probably not get through it before the meeting. I'll go anyway because it's a nice night out with friends. Although we all do try to read the chosen book each month it's not a requirement for attending. You just have to be okay with spoilers if you didn't finish and choose to attend anyway.

3 hours ago, Robin M said:

This month we celebrate our Ladies of Fiction with mystery novelist Deborah Crombie who wrote the 18 book series - Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James mysteries -  set in England.  Crombie currently resides in Texas, but still visits England frequently. She previously lived in Chester, England, and Edinburgh, Scotland. Her first novel, A Share of Death, was inspired by a past visit to Yorkshire and homesickness for England. Happy to hear she is currently working on the 19th book. 

I previously read Sound of Broken Glass, #15 in the series, totally out of order (silly me) so wasn't familiar with the characters. However, I enjoyed the story and it made me want to read the whole series, which really should be read in order as the story follows the progression of the characters lives.  I’m ready to dive into Duncan and Gemma’s world with A Share in Death.  I love a good mystery.  What is it about mysteries that draws you to them?

Her name sounded familiar and I was pretty sure it's because I want to read some of her books. When I checked Goodreads I saw that I actually read the first one in 2015. The premise of the second one sounds familiar but if I read it I didn't record it on GR. One of my libraries has it so I downloaded it. As if I don't already have enough books on my Kindle waiting to be read. 😂

• Like 9

Last night I finishedLove Lettering by Kate ClaybornIt's a contemporary romance which I quite enjoyed. I think those with an interest in calligraphy, design, fonts, or New York City might find this a fun read. I'm likely to reread this. (Adult content)

"Meg Mackworth’s hand-lettering skill has made her famous as the Planner of Park Slope, designing custom journals for her New York City clientele. She has another skill too: reading signs that other people miss. Knowing the upcoming marriage of Reid Sutherland and his polished fiancée was doomed to fail is one thing, but weaving a secret word of warning into their wedding program is another. Meg may have thought no one would spot it, but she hadn’t counted on sharp-eyed, pattern-obsessed Reid.

A year later, Reid has tracked Meg down to find out how she knew that his meticulously planned future was about to implode. But with a looming deadline and a bad case of creative block, Meg doesn’t have time for Reid’s questions—unless he can help her find her missing inspiration. As they gradually open up to each other, both try to ignore a deepening connection between them. But the signs are there—irresistible, indisputable, urging Meg to heed the messages Reid is sending her, before it’s too late . . .  "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

Some bookish posts ~

Five Nautical SFF Books to Read When You’re Far From Shore

https://www.tor.com/2020/02/06/five-nautical-sff-books-to-read-when-youre-far-from-shore/#comments

THE BEST BOOKISH GAMES FOR YOUR INTERESTS

https://bookriot.com/2020/02/07/bookish-games/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Swords and Spaceships - 021120&utm_term=BookRiot_SwordsAndSpaceships_DormantSuppress

A READING LIST FOR LOGGING OFF

8 books that will make you never want to look at your phone again.

https://crimereads.com/a-reading-list-for-logging-off/

From Modern Mrs Darcy: 15 books for budding botanists

https://modernmrsdarcy.com/books-plant-lovers/

From the Word Wenches site: What We're Reading: February Edition

https://wordwenches.typepad.com/word_wenches/2020/02/what-were-reading-february-edition-.html#comment-6a00d8341c84c753ef025d9b370ff6200c

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I’ve decided Paula Poundstone gets 5 stars!

She has surpassed Patrick McManus as my new current favorite author for humorous books.  

Hers has some more serious aspects too that are coming through now in second reading.

• Like 7

I just finished Don't Make Me Pull Over:. An informal history of the Family road trip

I did it as an audio book and loved it.  It was part funny memoirs, part travel history, part hokey stuff.  It brought back a lot of memories of past road trips.  Esp for those in the mid 40s to mid 50s range.   Remember things like Stuckey's, and the Holidomes?  The video game room at a hotel and the "fun" of roll away beds?

This is a good, clean listen as well so would be great for listening to on your own family road trip.

• Like 8

I had another good reading week. :)

Still sip-reading through The Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson and Les Miserables.

Still making progress on El Hobbit.  Bilbo and company just left the house of Beorn.

Books that I finished this week:

Rebound by Kwame Alexander  -- This is a prequel to Crossover, which I read a few weeks ago.  Crossover was about a young teen boy named Josh.  Rebound was about Josh's father as a young teen.  Rebound was set in 1988.  I was a young teen then, and some of this book seemed... off.  Some of the slang was too modern and some of the activities that the teens participated in in the book just didn't ring true for me.

The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman -- This was a fun book that was recommended to me my my friends here.  I saw that there was a television adaptation starring Angela Lansbury, which just seems wrong to me.  Mrs. Fletcher is too polite to be Mrs. Pollifax.

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang -- This was my least favorite book this week.  I liked the author's graphic novel Boxers, but I really didn't like this at all.  This book that wanted to teach that stereotyping is wrong emphasized stereotypes by making every character in the book a stereotype.  I think that whatever point he was trying to make could have been summarized in one chapter.  

The Color Purple by Alice Walker -- I went into this book with very little information.  I knew that it was an award-winning book about the "African-American experience".  It was as vague as that.  And I knew that there was a movie that Oprah was in.  Well, this novel was a learning experience, although I'm wondering still how true-to-life this fictional woman's experience was.  This book was explicit and gruesome and had a lot of nastiness in it.  I am definitely not passing this on to my high school girls, nor would I recommend it in most cases.  I really think that this book is best read by women who have lived for a while and have seen some gruesomeness in real life, either their own or someone else's.  I think giving this book to innocent young girls is like throwing pearls before swine.  I think that they just wouldn't be able to appreciate it.  (In fact, I think that about a lot of books.  I think they are experienced too early.)

I almost gave up on this book halfway through.  But then Celie began receiving letters and I saw hope for the first time.  The book did not completely redeem itself -- I don't think it intended to.  I kind of look at this novel as the author and similarly the main character crafting a piece of fine art out of trash.  You see the nastiness and filth, and then you get a glimpse of a vision and what it can look like if you put it all together in a way that makes a little bit of sense.  You care for it and clean it up a little bit.  You make the best with what you have.

image.jpeg.7a3481f97ff1a673abc13c619fa1f506.jpeg image.jpeg.6e2a8aeaa1f4805ba27d9eecd2c0d9ba.jpeg image.jpeg.652a744b2bef5230b74641d5ed127ac7.jpeg image.jpeg.9e9bb517489c0c7b1d36ef8d7f339d59.jpeg

Edited by Junie
  • Like 10

7 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

I read #18 in Deborah Crombie's series, A Bitter Feast,  a couple months ago and liked it very much! I'll have to check and see if my library has A Share in Death

I read Scary Stories for Young Foxes by Christian McKay Heidicker last week. It's a middle grade novel featuring two young foxes trying to survive in the deep, unforgiving forest when they get separated from their families. It's told in a fairy tale style and I think it would make a good real aloud for dark & stormy nights. 

I'm supposed to be packing (just a move into a new rental, same town) so I don't know how much reading I'll be able to do this week.

I have read the first 7 of this series and have to say A Share in Death might be my favorite so I hope you can find it!  I have my next in the series order A Finer End ready to go.  This is one of the series I world love to finish this year.  Wishing you an easy move!

Not sure what I am reading currently as I have a couple of audiobooks in progress but am seriously thing of setting those aside in order to just get Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte done for my bookchain project.  I am stuck and this book lets me move on easily for awhile using books in the stack.

I also started a short book last night called Finna https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44081573-finna but am not sure how much more I will read. I actually requested they buy this one because I read a great review a few months ago and it has an IKEA type store with multi dimensions featured.....it’s short so I may just make it through!  Not quite sure what I will read if I abandon it.  

11 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Mmmmm pecan logs

Exactly what I thought😂  We recently drove by one that is no longer a Stuckey’s, the result is my kids now crave pecan logs from my hour long story of how great they were!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Violet Crown said:

Mmmmm pecan logs

18 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I'm remembering a place we used to stop at when we lived in Texas in the seventies that sold peanut brittle. Stuckey's sounds familiar....

Don't recall ever having a pecan roll from Stuckey's. It is their peanut brittle that I remember! Kareni it had to be Stuckey's in Texas as lots of our road trips involved driving all the way across that state to and from the grandparent's house. 

• Like 4

My plague reading this week includes both The Plague by Camus, and Moloka'i by Alan Brennert.  Perhaps I'll venture on to the Daniel Defoe next. I'm going to need down that list where I can quickly reference it!

Earlier today I finished listening to the newest Rivers of London series, False Value and am happy to report it is another smart, solid and entertaining entry in the series. This series is at the center of a Venn diagram of the attributes of my favorite books: fantasy, police procedural, humor and general geekiness. 

My dh gave me a pair of air pods -- those blue tooth, cordless ear buds - for Christmas and I didn't realize how much I would loved them! I'm now able to listen to my audiobooks while sewing away on my machine! Heaven! I can move around the room without cords getting caught. Wow. Modern technology is just so cool!!  

• Like 9

I read Light a Penny Candle - 4 Stars - Oh, how I miss Maeve! She was such a special writer. This was her first novel. I must have read it back in the 1980s. Luckily, I barely remembered a thing. I don’t enjoy re-reading fiction when I remember stuff. I made that mistake with Isabel Allende’s “House of Spirits”. Loved it the first time. Decided to re-read it a few years later when not enough time had passed. The magic was gone. I enjoyed this book as much as I did the first time that I read it.

This is a story of a friendship between two girls, set in Ireland and England in the 1940s and 1950s. The characters were complex and well-developed, as they always are with Maeve. The story grabbed me, and I was thinking about it constantly any time that I wasn’t reading – always a good sign!

The only reason that I am not giving it 5 stars is the ending. It was fabulous all the way through, but the ending just seemed rushed, flat, out of character, and a bit bizarre. It threw me for a loop, and I had to check if I was missing anything. This book is worth reading for all the lovely parts, but just be aware that the ending is weak.

My favorite quote:

“Self-pity brings tears to the eyes quicker than anything else.”

Mindfulness; Five Ways to Achieve Real Happiness, True Knowledge, and Inner Peace - 3 Stars - This is a practical guide to mindfulness. In the past several years, I keep feeling that I need to make a more concerted effort than ever before to be mindful and present. I don’t know why it’s such a challenge – getting older, obligations, social media, who knows? Ironically, I had a challenging time staying focused, since this is not my favorite genre these days. I only read it now, because I’ve been meaning to for quite a while.

Here are my favorite quotes:

“Too often, self-help books teach methods of achieving your inner potential or happiness, but they ignore the necessity of developing morally-consistent lives.”

“Right mindfulness really means attentiveness or awareness of reality. It does not merely mean to be aware of one’s physical surroundings, or to ‘live in the moment’, as the catchphrase goes. It means, in one sense, to be aware of our inner and outer beings, as well as that which surrounds us. This means to be aware of every moment that passes, like waves on the sea. If we are mindful of ourselves, we must also be mindful of the presence of our Creator. Just as we have physical bodies that are ever-present within a physical setting, surrounded by air, water, earth and other elements, we are also eternal spirits which are illumined and sustained by a Higher Being which fills us with energy and power. True mindfulness, therefore, is to be aware of the presence of the Lord of all being.”

“We must say what is good and avoid saying what is evil. One of the best ways of doing this is through reading good words out loud. If we read a book of wisdom and cultivate the practise of reading excellent quotations from these writings out loud, the goodness of the words will gradually become natural and part of our every day practice. We need to make a concerted effort to avoid using swear words and expletives, which serve only to express ignorant attachment, and, instead, we must memorize and recite good and holy phrases and verses. Reading beautiful and inspiring poetry is also helpful in achieving this objective.”

“Every day, reflect on the nature of life and death and the changeability of all things. Reflect on your own mortality and the fleeting nature of the world. Do not be saddened or worried about death or loss, because both of these are part of the nature of material reality. Neither should cause you any alarm or worry. Realise that suffering comes from attachment and make a conscious effort to detach yourself. Make a concerted effort to be aware of the higher, noble nature within you. This is your soul.”

9780451211439.jpg   51dWgrJ6IJL.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

The book is fantastic. It’s not perfect, since no book is, but it’s definitely a favorite of mine.

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 7

Well, it’s been a reading harlot kind of February.  I was reading a bunch of books simultaneously and finishing them in clumps.  Here are the ones that I finished in Feb:

”Sourdough”—I love this book, and I got my book group to read it so that I would have someone to talk with about it.  It’s kind of a mix of tech meets back to the land meets foodie culture meets coming of age.  Remarkably deft in its writing.  A significant bit of magical realism.  Highly recommended.  By the author of the Mr. Penumbra book.  Set in CA, primarily San Francisco, yay!

Dragon Chica by May-Lee Chai:  This one was fine.  

The Testament by ERic Van Lustbader—totally sucked me in.  It’s been years since I read one of his books, and they are always so magnetically immersive to me.  Glad I read it but I probably won’t read it again.

Afraid by Robert Bennett—This is a very unusual book.  It is about demons and spiritual warfare in America (seriously) but it is by a sober, rational, quiet Lutheran; an extremely unusual field of interest among conservative Lutherans, and yet arguably worthy of at least awareness.  I’m glad I read it, and I thought that the theology was very well done; particularly the emphasis on in where you put your attention (on Christ) and what you hope for (healing, but not necessarily immediately or permanently).  

I Never Fancied Him Anyway—Claudia Carroll—A library book.  Light cute novel.

The Accidental Genie—Dakota Cassidy—Ditto, but the s*x was so explicit that I skipped a bunch of pages.  I’m no prude but it was OTT.  

The Thing Around Your Neck—Chimamanda Adichie—I normally avoid short story collections but I like this author so I tried this, and loved it.  These stories generally take place in Nigeria or in the Nigerian diaspora elsewhere, and are extremely thought provoking and well-written.  Highly recommended.

Tomato Blessings and Radish Teachings—Edward Espe Brown—This is a book of reflections on cooking and on meditative practices that includes a bunch of vegetarian recipes.  The same author wrote the Tassajara Bread Book and co-authored the Greens Cookbook, both of which I have.  It’s kind of got apprenticeship aspects to it.  You might find two whole pages on great ways to cut up a couple of vegetables.  It’s the kind of detail that is not usually written down but is immensely helpful.  After reading the whole thing I tried one of the recipes and it was really good, which is nice because I have been trying to increase the amount of vegetables I eat and so I need a variety of ways to fix them.  

The Nickel Boys—Colton Whitehead—I read The Underground Railroad by the same author and although it was highly acclaimed I did not love it.  But this book I loved.  It’s hard to read, though; horrendous themes and content.  But extraordinarily well done.  

The Hope Within—Tracie Peterson—Kind of a trite ish book set in Montana and Kansas in the late 1800s.  I had not read this author before but apparently she is quite prolific.  Lots of Christian content, in a fairly realistic way, which was nice, but did not make up entirely for the fairly obvious and a bit melodramatic plot.  I’m not going to be seeking this author out again but it was a brain candy read.

The Last Time I Saw Mother—Arlene Chai—This book absolutely fascinated me as it is the first one I have ever read that was set in the Philippines.  It was nicely done, and I’m really glad I read it.  It broke a lot of new ground for me in terms of sequencing the history of that area as well, which was good.

Stay With Me—Ayobami Adebayo—This novel is set in Nigeria, and it was excellent.  It’s interesting in that it takes on a variety of points of view and gradually presents The Truth from several perspectives.  Well written.  I liked the way it talked about marriage, more or less about how and to what extent you endure through a marriage’s ups and downs.  I think that that is pretty unique.  Seems like most books are about getting to the point of getting married or to the point of getting divorced or whatever.  But this one is more ‘along the way’ and I really liked that.  Highly recommended, and a remarkable first novel.  

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Kareni said:

Last night I finishedLove Lettering by Kate ClaybornIt's a contemporary romance which I quite enjoyed. I think those with an interest in calligraphy, design, fonts, or New York City might find this a fun read. I'm likely to reread this. (Adult content)

"Meg Mackworth’s hand-lettering skill has made her famous as the Planner of Park Slope, designing custom journals for her New York City clientele. She has another skill too: reading signs that other people miss. Knowing the upcoming marriage of Reid Sutherland and his polished fiancée was doomed to fail is one thing, but weaving a secret word of warning into their wedding program is another. Meg may have thought no one would spot it, but she hadn’t counted on sharp-eyed, pattern-obsessed Reid.

A year later, Reid has tracked Meg down to find out how she knew that his meticulously planned future was about to implode. But with a looming deadline and a bad case of creative block, Meg doesn’t have time for Reid’s questions—unless he can help her find her missing inspiration. As they gradually open up to each other, both try to ignore a deepening connection between them. But the signs are there—irresistible, indisputable, urging Meg to heed the messages Reid is sending her, before it’s too late . . .  "

Regards,

Kareni

I think I’m going to look for this one!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Don't recall ever having a pecan roll from Stuckey's. It is their peanut brittle that I remember!

Why would you have peanuts when you could have pecans? 

I remember Stuckey's had those little peg games in the little wood boards, where you jumped the pegs over each other and tried to get down to one peg. I also remember reading in the Statesman that the last Texas Stuckey's had closed -- I think I was in college -- and though I hear a few have reopened, there are none in Central Texas anymore. So sad.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Why would you have peanuts when you could have pecans? 

I remember Stuckey's had those little peg games in the little wood boards, where you jumped the pegs over each other and tried to get down to one peg. I also remember reading in the Statesman that the last Texas Stuckey's had closed -- I think I was in college -- and though I hear a few have reopened, there are none in Central Texas anymore. So sad.

A blast from the past. Yes, I remember Stuckey's and playing the peg games.  So much fun!  Lived in Arlington in the early sixty's 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

Happy Birthday Connie!

On 3/1/2020 at 4:25 PM, Lady Florida. said:

Thanks for the link. I enjoy Anna Katherine Green. IMO she doesn't get enough credit for being one of the early mystery authors. It seems women across the pond get all the glory in the genre.

https://crimereads.com/the-rise-and-fall-and-restoration-of-anna-katharine-greens-the-leavenworth-case/  Interesting article.......at some point I know I read an article about AC and how she modeled Miss Marple on Green’s Amelia Butterworth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Earlier today I finished the contemporary romance Team Player by Julianna Keyes; I quite enjoyed it and will likely reread it. I also look forward to reading the follow on book about two different characters that were introduced in this book. (Adult content)

"Don’t hate the player…

BOTTOM NINE
Gwen Scott wants to love her job with the Charleston Thrashers, the MLB team she’s worshiped since she was a kid, but she can’t. Hateful colleagues and mind-numbing work make her days unbearable—until her head for baseball gets her exclusive access to the Thrashers’ clubhouse and she comes face-to-face with Tyler Ashe, the team’s sexy shortstop and baseball’s most ineligible bachelor.

BASES LOADED
Ty has sworn off relationships in order to focus on his all-star career, but with his best friend gone, his team struggling, and the press blaming him for every loss, the most recognizable man in the majors is in a slump. Until he starts spending his time off the field with a stern blonde who recites baseball stats for kicks and sees through his arrogant façade.

TWO OUT
As the Thrashers’ season gets into full swing and Gwen adjusts to her new job, their fun banter and friendly teasing turns into stolen kisses and countless steamy nights. The team’s strict policy against player-staff relationships throws a curve ball into the mix, but they can’t hide from their feelings any more than the most famous man in baseball can hide from the spotlight…"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

On 3/1/2020 at 5:00 PM, Kareni said:

Some bookish posts ~

Five Nautical SFF Books to Read When You’re Far From Shore

https://www.tor.com/2020/02/06/five-nautical-sff-books-to-read-when-youre-far-from-shore/#comments

THE BEST BOOKISH GAMES FOR YOUR INTERESTS

https://bookriot.com/2020/02/07/bookish-games/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Swords and Spaceships - 021120&utm_term=BookRiot_SwordsAndSpaceships_DormantSuppress

A READING LIST FOR LOGGING OFF

8 books that will make you never want to look at your phone again.

https://crimereads.com/a-reading-list-for-logging-off/

From Modern Mrs Darcy: 15 books for budding botanists

https://modernmrsdarcy.com/books-plant-lovers/

From the Word Wenches site: What We're Reading: February Edition

https://wordwenches.typepad.com/word_wenches/2020/02/what-were-reading-february-edition-.html#comment-6a00d8341c84c753ef025d9b370ff6200c

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks!!!  Probably some budding botanist and crime readers titles would be ones I’d like.  

• Like 4

I finished The Testaments by Margaret Atwood.  It is one of those either hate it or love it books.  The Testaments is a continuation of both the book and the televised series.  Read my review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/15922265-edie

6. Black Robe Fever by Gary L. Richardson

7. A Weed in the Church by Scott T. Brown

8. The Testaments by Margaret Atwood

*Having trouble with the formatting.  Hopefully this will work.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
Trying again
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Pen said:

Thanks!!!  Probably some budding botanist and crime readers titles would be ones I’d like.  

Best I can think of!😂

Budding Botanist................China Bayles by Susan Wittig Albert is a great series

I checked out several cozy mysteries to go with my Station Eleven audio.............plague reading.  Somewhat worried this one might be too much because of settings......they actually visit my home town in their wandering.  I am far from my home town but ............ I want to read this for the tie in with the author’s new book.  I would like to try and listen while I quilt which is sometimes not so intense an experience.... @JennW in SoCal glad you love your new “headphones”😉.

The cozy mysteries are all books in series that I read one or two (or eight!) in years ago and am trying to jump back into where I left off.  I have a couple in the China Bayles series to finish also.

Death by Chocolate https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/761668.Thyme_of_Death?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=o1i8OPkiEC&rank=1

Fleece Navidad https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3322930-fleece-navidad

Banana Creme Pie Murderhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30346650-banana-cream-pie-murder

Shades of Earl Grey https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/426547.Shades_of_Earl_Grey

• Like 7

@mumto2 Are you still early into Station Eleven? It does seem early on as if it will be grim, tension filled reading. And then it teeters on the brink of being confusing with the jumping timeline and the focus different characters. Hang in there!  It is ultimately a really hopeful story.  I read it in early January, and the harrowing parts of the book definitely had me paying close attention to the outbreak in China before it was mainstream news.

Camus' The Plague is simply brilliant. Like it ought to be a classic or something! 

My other plague title for the year, Moloka'i, isn't nearly as good as the above two, but I'm not a fan of sweeping family drama. I can see, though, why it is popular and is often recommended for those who want to learn a bit about Hawaiian culture and history, and in particular about the leper colony. 

• Like 8

I mentioned yesterday that this novella is currently free for Kindle readers; last night I read and enjoyed it. (Adult content)

Evergreen: An M/M Sci-Fi Novella by Cari Z.

"Soldiers. Explorers. Lovers.

Broken apart.

Cy Konstantin and Scottie Andrews are supposed to make Project Evergreen’s one-way trip to Mars together. A near-fatal accident during training knocks Cy into a coma for half a year, and out of Project Evergreen. He works his way back to Scottie’s side, but he can’t rejoin the mission. Once Scottie leaves, they’re destined to live millions of miles apart for the rest of their lives.

A deadly accident on Mars might spell the end of their distant romance, though—or be the thing that saves it."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Some bookish posts ~

Guest Post: A Handy Guide for Choosing Your Institute of Magical Education

https://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/2019/07/guest-post-a-handy-guide-for-choosing-your-institute-of-magical-education/

From Homer to Alexievich: top 10 books about the human cost of war

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jan/29/homer-alexievich-top-10-books-about-the-human-cost-of-war-the-shadow-king-maaza-mengiste

11 LAUGH OUT LOUD FUNNY PICTURE BOOKS PERFECT FOR READING ALOUD

https://bookriot.com/2020/02/06/funny-picture-books-for-reading-aloud/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CYS - 021120&utm_term=BookRiot_CheckYourShelf_DormantSuppress

Plus a free book for Kindle readers ~

I liked this one: Blind Seduction by T. Hammond,

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've listened to a few books in February, and that included two Mary Stewart's  Rose Cottage ~  narrated by Samantha Eggar (4), and,  Nine Coaches Waiting ~ narrated by Ellie Heydon (5)   One book I wanted to come and share here before March's busy-ness gobbles me up again , and thought that others here may enjoy too is:

The Semi-Detached House ~ Emily Eden, narrated by Peter Joyce (5)   I enjoyed this comedy of manners story as the author invested in witty discourse and 1850's drollery, and, had Rachael, the orphaned niece, quoting Shakespeare.  I'm hoping the next book The Semi-attached Couple is just as good.    I was ready for a palate cleanser, this book was certainly that and I found the story charming - as a huge bonus, Emily Eden created a very satisfying ending♥   The Semi-Detached House reads rather like a Wilkie Collin's take on an Austenesque setting.

• Like 6

I totally forgot to do a wrap up for January so combining with February.   I've done really well with my buying ban and reading from my shelves, considering that our shop is only five minutes away from Barnes and Noble.  The temptation to go buy a latte and spend my lunch time in the bookstore has been great, but I've been good so far.  

I did buy one book but that was because the grocery store check out line was hecka busy so I went to look at the books and ended up getting Karen Robard's Fifth Doctrine.   It's all their fault *grin* 

Stats wise, I read more female authors (16) versus male authors (5) and managed to clear a few dusty books from my shelves.  I read 11 physical books versus 14 e books so my ratio of e books is still way too high.  

Audiobooks
Cat O Nine Tales - Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock)
Junkyard Cats - Faith Hunter (futuristic) 

Dragons and other fantastical creatures
The Burning Page - Genevieve Cogman (#3 Invisible Library, 368, Dusty)
Dragon Bound - Thea Harrison (#1 Elder Races, 338, e)(Gift, Ntma)
The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien (288, dusty) 

Fantasy 
Iron and Magic - Ilona Andrews (#1 Iron Covenant, 394, e, dusty)
Knife of Dreams - Robert Jordan (#11 WOT, 880, dusty)
The Unkindest Tide - Seanan McGuire (#13 October Daye, 366e, ms)

Feed My Muse
Reading Like a Writer - Francine Prose (Dusty, 273)

Ladies of Fiction 
Kitchen/Midnight Shadow - Banana Yoshimito (Japan, 177e)(Ntma)
The Crystal Cave - Mary Stewart (# 1 Arthurian Saga, Historical Fantasy, dusty, 288)

Love and Mystery 
Brewed Awakening - Cleo Coyle (#18 Coffee House, e, ms)
The Bookshop of Yesterday - Amy Meyerson (384, Dusty, Ntma)
Golden in Death - J.D.Robb (#50 In Death, 400, new release preorder)

Mood 
The Fifth Doctrine - Karen Robards (#3 Guardians, thriller, 406)(New/Ntma)
Long Road to Mercy - David Baldacci (#1 Atlee Pine, Thriller, 417 e, dusty)
Silent Blade - Illona Andrews (World of Kinsman, Fantasy, 64e, dusty) 

Non Fiction
Girl with Seven Names - Hyeonseo Lee (N/S Korea, 322e) (Dusty, Ntma)
When Books Went to War - Molly Manning (history, 288) (Dusty, Ntma)
It's All Relative - A.J. Jacobs (352, dusty) 

Science Fiction
Dark Horse - Michelle Diener (2) (#1 Class 5, 380e) (KU - Ntma)
Dark Deeds - Michelle Diener (#2 Class 5, 360, e)
Dark Minds - Michelle Diener (#3 Class 5, 286, e)
Dark Matters - Michelle Diener (#4 Class 5, 321, e)
Son of Heaven - David Wingrove (#1 Chung Kuo, England/China, 449 e)(Dusty, Ntma) 

Steampunk 

Clockwork Angel - Cassandra Clare (#1 Infernal Devices, Steampunk, 497,e, dusty)

MS - My shelves purchased prior to 2020
Dusty - on both virtual and physical shelves for a while
KU - Kindle unlimited freebie book
Ntma = new to me author

• Like 6

Reading:

Patricia Wentworth's "Death at Deep End"

Irene Hannon's "Dark Ambitions"

I am such a lazy reader now because I am fairly exhausted by the time I get home.  Hannon's books are rather formulaic but right now there is something comforting in the predictability.

I think I will throw in a Coffeehouse book by Cleo Coyle just to mix things up.

Audiobooks:

Patricia Wentworth's "Woman in the Water

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 6

Last week I read All I Know About Animal Behavior I Learned in Loehman’s Dressing Room, by Erma Bombeck. I used to enjoy her writing, but hadn’t read any in awhile. It had its funny moments but was overall ‘meh’. I don’t know if my tastes have changed or it just wasn’t her best work.

I started the audiobook of The Crystal Cave a few weeks ago but lost interest and never finished it. Yesterday I realized it expired. I won’t recheck it. Just couldn’t get into it for some reason. Don’t throw rotten tomatoes at me, please. 😁 

Yesterday I checked out a cozy mystery from s display at my library. They are doing a program with Kensington called the Kensington Cozy Club, where you get a card punched by the librarian whenever you check out a cozy ( not just published by Kensington) and after the card is filled you send it in for a free book.  So cozy readers might see if their library has this too. The punch card also says “Visit KENSINGTONCOZIES.COM to learn more”.

• Like 6

Today only, free for Kindle readers ~

The Marble Faun: Or, The Romance of Monte Beni by Nathaniel Hawthorne

"From the author of The Scarlet Letter: The thrilling tale of three American artists whose search for artistic inspiration leads to romance and murder.

The sculpture galleries and classical architecture of nineteenth-century Rome set the stage for Nathaniel Hawthorne’s gothic romance The Marble Faun. While touring the Eternal City in search of inspiration and authentic beauty, American artists Miriam, Hilda, and Kenyon soon discover that their Italian companion, Donatello—charming and in love with Miriam—bears a striking resemblance to the marble Faun of Praxiteles. But for Miriam, their carefree pursuit is also an escape from a dark past. And when a mysterious man appears, trailing the friends’ path and tormenting Miriam, the group’s travels take a sinister turn.

The first novel to explore the effects of European sensibilities on American values, The Marble Faun anticipated the genre of travel novels later exemplified by The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James and The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain. Vividly evoking the great works of art and architecture in Rome, it also found favor as an unlikely guidebook for many Victorian tourists. James Russell Lowell said: “The nineteenth century has produced no more purely original writer than Mr. Hawthorne.” Here, the author of The House of the Seven Gables offers an unforgettable and suspenseful tale. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4