Menu

I can hear my heartbeat in my ear

sbgrace

The last couple of days, I've often heard a whooshing heartbeat sound in my right ear. I'm pretty sure it's my heartbeat. It doesn't last long, but happens frequently. 

It's kind of unnerving. I started to feel a little paranoid today and had my husband pick up a blood pressure monitor to replace my broken one on his way home from work.  I was not high--not even "pre-" or mildly hypertensive, which i sometimes am.

So, does that mean this is nothing to worry about? Is there a point I should worry?

I will mention that I have had regular tinnitus for quite some time. 

Edited by sbgrace

2 minutes ago, Michelle Conde said:

This is a sign of severe anemia.  Go see a doctor.

Yes, this is my first thought.

I have had this on and off my whole life.  A few years ago I was diagnosed with anemia and received a blood transfusion.  The heartbeat sound stopped.

Now, whenever I hear it, I make sure to take iron for the next few days and it goes away again.

You should probably be seen by a doctor to find out if it is anemia and how severe it is.

• Like 2

Funny story:

I used to hear this when I was a little girl.  Somehow, I thought that a woman wearing high heels had broken into our house and was walking across the concrete basement floor.  It scared me.  So my heart beat faster.  And I thought that she was walking faster.  Which scared me more.  And my heart beat faster.

It's funny now, but it was terrifying then.   I have no idea how I actually slept as a kid.  😉

• Haha 4

Thank you all. I feel better just knowing other people have had this. 

I don't feel like I have a cold. However, I have been struggling with headaches and migraines lately. I just remembered that's often the *only* allergy sign for me, and February is the beginning of tree pollen season here. So maybe that's a connection. Now that I'm reading here, I do think maybe my ears feel a bit congested. I'll start Zyrtec. 

I was told I have iron deficiency anemia last year. I've been taking iron since that time. I was thinking today I should follow up on that. I just hate to go to the doctor in flu season! But maybe I should. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sbgrace said:

Thank you all. I feel better just knowing other people have had this. 

I don't feel like I have a cold. However, I have been struggling with headaches and migraines lately. I just remembered that's often the *only* allergy sign for me, and February is the beginning of tree pollen season here. So maybe that's a connection. Now that I'm reading here, I do think maybe my ears feel a bit congested. I'll start Zyrtec. 

I was told I have iron deficiency anemia last year. I've been taking iron since that time. I was thinking today I should follow up on that. I just hate to go to the doctor in flu season! But maybe I should. 

See my ears have been feeling full the last couple of weeks so I started my nasal steroid.  Does Zyrtec help relieve ear pressure/fullness?

• Like 1

I wonder if it's something that you can always hear and just tune out normally.  Now you're just fixated on it because it bugs you that you noticed.  It's kind of like the way you can always see your nose, but your eyes tune it out and you don't even "see" it until you really think about it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 1GirlTwinBoys said:

I have this too.  Do you have allergies that could be contributing to fluid in your ears?  

I've had it my whole life and mine too is allergy related. It's annoying but not always a problem. It's worth checking out though because there are some more serious conditions that can cause it.

• Like 2

I appreciate everyone who weighed in on this. I

I'm leaning toward allergies as the culprit for me. (I hope. I'd like to think this resolves!)  Because I don't have typical allergy symptoms, it wasn't even on my radar as a cause. 

I'll follow up on the anemia too, but I may wait until flu season is declining. I am taking iron every day.