Menu

board and card games for college kids...what is popular

kfeusse

I can think of lots of possibilities, but I think it probably really depends on the kids and their personalities. Like, are these kids who would enjoy a good strategy game because those abound these days... Splendor, Carcassone, Ticket to Ride... take your pick? Or are they kids who would enjoy a party game? I like Telestrations or Code Names for a party group. I think college kids still enjoy Uno or Exploding Kittens for a quick card game or maybe Bananagrams? Those are all small, which is a bonus for a college room. For a really weird challenge, Punderdome is really fun - you have to write your own puns. Or Pricetituition. That one has a tiny bit of inappropriate content, but mostly it's just silly - you have to decide how much money it would take for you to do a thing and then others have to guess. But the vast majority of the things are just embarrassing or slightly gross, not sexual or violent.

• Like 1

Love Letter works well for two players. There are variations available and absolutely no questionable content.

SET is also a good choice for two players as is Bananagrams.

For larger groups, Fluxx and the Game of Things. (The latter is available in a very small version with no game board.)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Social deduction games, like The Resistance, Ultimate Werewolf or Secret Hitler can appeal to non-gamers because they are easy to learn, social, fun, and can be finished quickly.  Also, many play well with larger groups of players.

• Like 1

Both dds are finding time to be an issue.  Longer games that they used to really enjoy, like Catan, take too much time now that they are in college.  They do play those games over Christmas break.  So far I'm hearing:

Uno (and mulitple varieties)

Dominoes

Dutch Blitz

Apples to Apples

Oldest dd said they played Phase 10 last weekend, but players had to keep switching out due to work and study committments. 

• Like 1

Dd has enjoyed Sheriff of Nottingham. There is also something dd and ds play using various electronic devices. One person is the host and the others have to figure out the clues. It's very interesting in that they use the electronics, but there's still a lot of interaction between them.i can ask them the name of it if you're interested.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2019 at 5:30 PM, Farrar said:

I can think of lots of possibilities, but I think it probably really depends on the kids and their personalities. Like, are these kids who would enjoy a good strategy game because those abound these days... Splendor, Carcassone, Ticket to Ride... take your pick? Or are they kids who would enjoy a party game? I like Telestrations or Code Names for a party group. I think college kids still enjoy Uno, you can go now here and read more about this game, or Exploding Kittens for a quick card game or maybe Bananagrams? Those are all small, which is a bonus for a college room. For a really weird challenge, Punderdome is really fun - you have to write your own puns. Or Pricetituition. That one has a tiny bit of inappropriate content, but mostly it's just silly - you have to decide how much money it would take for you to do a thing and then others have to guess. But the vast majority of the things are just embarrassing or slightly gross, not sexual or violent.

Hello. Here are some popular games: Crazy Eights, Snip, Snap, Snorem, Rummy, Go fish. But you can also find more on the internet.