Menu

Vionic, Kuru...sneakers for foot probs?

alisoncooks

I've tended to be a Brooks gal (previously the Glycerin style, but moved to Adrenaline because they offer more stability/support.) Most of the time (around house or errands) I wear Crocs. 

Anyway, went to the zoo this week and walked 2.5 hours in my Adrenaline (they're only a couple months old).  My feet were wrecked! I feel like I've undone all the progress I made with my plantar fasciitis/ankle instability these last 6 months. 😭 (Also, I was having issues with blisters, which has never happened before!)

Anyway, I ordered some Crocs sneakers because they seem to work, but I'm also wondering about Vionic (see them recommended a lot). I also see a lot of FB ads for Kuru... 

I've got a trip to Busch Gardens area in a few weeks, and I'd love to solve my shoe dilemma. Any recs?

I don’t find that Brooks offer any support for my feet at all, even with orthoticc inserts. I feel like I’m walking directly on the ground. 

I wear Vionics Mary Janes at home and find they give really good support. I haven’t been impressed with their sneakers, however. Currently I’m wearing Chacos sneakers and would recommend them for medium support.

Listening in, as I’m still searching for the elusive perfect supportive, cute sneaker (not running shoe!!!!).

• Like 1

You might be able to find a running store that does custom fitting. We have one here that has scanners, videos you walking, multiple things. And yes on the inserts. 

For me the plantar fascitis improved with zero drop shoes with custom inserts from the running store. And the store had a lot of brands (like 20+), so they could pick a brand that would be good for me. 

My kids wear Brooks, but for me Altras are better. Love the Escalante.

• Like 1

Saucony's Omni 16 are the only shoes I can wear.  They are hard to come by, but you might want to try other Saucony stability shoes.

I also tried these, and they really felt like walking on a cloud, but were a bit too narrow for me, although they come wider.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OFMBKA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might want to check out other OrthoFeet shoes as well.

• Like 1

I find for my PF when it's bad, I have to wear Abeo's or Danskos, with a smallish but present heel.  Abeo flats are too flat, even with their amazing arch support.

To do 2.5 hours of walking I would have had to wear my Dansko sandals, which have the same heel and arch as their clogs.  If it was chilly I would have worn thin socks with them.

For normal everyday stuff I wear Altra road running shoes, and I consciously and continuously walk forward on the balls of my feet, taking shorter steps than usual and avoiding heel strikes.  That strategy might have worked on your outing, but the Danskos with more of a heel and the firm arch support would have been more of a sure thing, with the Altras or Fit Flops for recovery that night or the next day around the house.  I also use the Med Massager at times.  It's what actually cured my persistent PF last time.

For hiking I wear either Teva water sandals or Brooks trail runners, and again I consciously walk forward on the balls of my feet and avoid heel strikes.  I can also use Salomon trail runners, but don't have any that fit me right now.  But again, for me, the Danskos or Abeos are the most reliable preventer of PF symptoms.  

It is really important to be able to feel that the arch is hitting your foot in exactly the right place in any choice that you may select.  Some people do better with Chacos than Tevas because of their specific foot shape. for instance.  I can't wear Chacos at all.

• Like 1

Dh swears by Brooks but I've long been a fan of New Balance (recommended to me by a podiatrist years ago). I don't know anything about Vionics sneakers but if they're anything like the sandals, you won't be sorry. I have several pairs of Vionics sandals and can walk around all day in them without my feet getting sore or tired.

I have ASICS, Brooks, and New Balance walking shoes. I can wear either the Brooks or NB to a theme park all day without complaint, but can only comfortably get a few hours from my ASICS.

ETA: I strongly believe it's a YMMV situation with any of these brands. I tend to over supinate, which isn't as common as over pronation. Your gait, weight, arches, etc. will all contribute to any problems you might have, and will also determine which type of shoe is best for you.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the thoughts. To answer a few questions:

I didn't stretch/warm-up before walking. And I didn't stretch afterwards (even though I'm usually a stickler for post-workout stretching).  

I haven't iced or taken any meds. 

The blisters were on the inside edges/sides of my heel. I think my foot was slipping forward (my toes were painfully squishing the front but my heel was rubbing) -- maybe I need to tighten my laces...but I don't see how I could comfortably do so.

In general, I do a lot of stretching throughout the week.  I've gotten out of the habit, but I used to also stretch my feet/calves regularly and massage my arches. I suppose I should restart that regimen...

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

I think I am leaning toward a custom orthotic that moves from shoe to shoe.  It will cost a couple hundred bucks but it will be custom and bionics and all the rest aren't cheap--and I can use my existing shoe library 

Something to consider is that orthotics take up a fair amount of room in the shoe sometimes.  You might find that you need to seek out different styles when you implement this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

The blisters were on the inside edges/sides of my heel. I think my foot was slipping forward (my toes were painfully squishing the front but my heel was rubbing) -- maybe I need to tighten my laces...but I don't see how I could comfortably do so.

Ah, ok. If they were toes-rubbing-together blisters, I was going to recommend Injinji toe socks. They’re the only sock I can wear to avoid toe blisters.. Your blister placement does sound more like an ill-fitting shoe though, which does suck since those Brooks aren’t cheap!

• Like 1

I wear Asics but have gotten a nasty callous with this pair. 

I also wear Naot shoes - I have a very narrow foot (but size 10 1/2) so the Naots work for me. Birkenstocks are the worst for foot. 

Go to a good shoe store and talk to someone who actually knows shoes; it made a world of difference. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 7:17 PM, alisoncooks said:

Thanks for all the thoughts. To answer a few questions:

I didn't stretch/warm-up before walking. And I didn't stretch afterwards (even though I'm usually a stickler for post-workout stretching).  

I haven't iced or taken any meds. 

In general, I do a lot of stretching throughout the week.  I've gotten out of the habit, but I used to also stretch my feet/calves regularly and massage my arches. I suppose I should restart that regimen...

Wrong shoe for your foot. Either try a different style or brand, but pinched toes/loose heals are never good in any shoe. Laces aren't going to fix it. Sorry. Brooks are expensive. Any chance you bought them somewhere with a guarantee?

• Like 1

For me, a great running shoe is not enough.  I went to New Balance to get fitted and have an insert placed. I still have to tape my feet every single day too. And it doesn’t hurt that I have a bestie who is a physical therapist to work on my feet almost every week or more.  But all of that combined means I can walk 10K miles every day to lose weight without wrecked my feet and minimal to no pain. 

• Like 1