Menu

Got in to BLUEBIRD CAFE!!!!!

sheryl

I've been planning our trip to Nashville to celebrate dd's 20th birthday since January.   I called the BB café to find out the process.  Even though it's listed on their website I wanted to talk to a live person.  

We'll among hundreds and possibly low thousands we were selected (randomly chosen).   We "upped" our chances by using 3 computers:  DD's computer, my computer and my tablet.  My computer won out.

Anyway, she gets to go to BB café tonight - her 20th birthday!   We'll enjoy it!  And, last night we went to GOO (Grand Ole Opry).  Liked many, many of the performers including Brett Young, Devin Dawson and others!  I had no idea it was a live broadcast of the show.  They still do this! 

We've discovered we REALLY like Nashville!   Went to Green Hills Grille Friday night.  It was fantastic.  I ordered the lemon artichoke chicken with mashed potatoes and broccoli.  One of the best meals out I've enjoyed! 

• Like 22

The Bluebird is so fun! DH and I went 25 years ago--we just walked in off the street and even though there weren't any empty tables, someone found an extra and set up us in a corner near the kitchen. :)

We had only heard of it from the movie The Thing Called Love. I remember being surprised that it's actually in a  nondescript strip mall, and also that it looks and works just like its portrayed in the movie. :)

Glad you got to go! 

• Like 1

Yes, it is in the newer "hot" area of Green Hills area.  Some of the stars lived here but many, we were told by a local at the Green Hills Grille, have moved "out".   It's in a stripe mall but the area is in a "top" area.   (She also told us where Keith and Nichole lived)!  I'm not a "starry-eyed" but it is kinda fun!

Thanks, Dawn, I just told her!  🙂  

Have fun! Dh and I lived in Nashville when we were young pups, about 30 years ago. I remember Green Hills as being one of the high end areas with beautiful homes - very nice! I worked for an accounting firm and many famous country stars were clients of ours. That was a fun time.

Hope your dd has a wonderful birthday!

• Like 1

Yay!

So I’m stupid, and even though I’m looking at the website, I have no idea what this is.  It’s a club?  With amateur music?  There’s no food?  Why is it so popular?  Just because Nashville is a country music magnet?  

• Like 1

So cool!  I live a short drive south of that area.  I'm actually going to Trader Joe's tomorrow, it's just down the street from BB Cafe.  Have you guys ever toured the Ryman?  You might enjoy that too.

I second the Frist and the Parthenon.  Currently at the Frist there is a Dorothea Lang exhibit that is simple yet remarkable.  I was very moved by the exhibit.  I've been to museums all over the world, but sometimes a small and simple museum exhibit can be as powerful as an extensive collection of something.

True Food Kitchen and Char are two restaurants that are close to BB Cafe that have wonderful food.  If you like Restoration Hardware, there is a 70,000 square foot store in front of Green Hills mall.  

Enjoy!!! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Selkie said:

Have fun! Dh and I lived in Nashville when we were young pups, about 30 years ago. I remember Green Hills as being one of the high end areas with beautiful homes - very nice! I worked for an accounting firm and many famous country stars were clients of ours. That was a fun time.

Wow!  Dh and I also lived in Nashville around that time....  26 years ago, and I also worked for an accounting firm there.  😊

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

I am so glad your Dd's birthday trip to Music City has turned out so well!! I know you put a lot of time into planning it.

I go to church in Green Hills and enjoy that part of town, despite the traffic.

Yes, shouting you out for your hand in helping me plan this!  We're frequenting your neck of the woods.   We would have gone to church yesterday at the Green Hills Community church (?) - is that the name (the one not far from the mall, but we're zonked out "walking the streets of Nashville"!  HA!    Should have rented the scooters.   One of the performers at the GOO goes to church at that one and he invited anyone in the audience.  

• Like 1

Wow!  We have lived in Nashville for 8 years now and I have yet to get into the Bluebird. DH has been twice and says it's fantastic -- I ams sure you will have a great time.

I love the Grand Ole Opry and recommend it to everyone who visits Nashville. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Wow!  Dh and I also lived in Nashville around that time....  26 years ago, and I also worked for an accounting firm there.  😊

My husband and I lived there 26 years ago too! How funny! (Although I didn't work in accounting; I did the marketing for a mental health care hospital chain.)

• Like 2

Went to school at Vandy 20+ years ago...and used to hang out at a great book store in Green Hills called Davis-Kidd.  Took my Mom to the Bluebird back then and we had a blast.  

Third the Parthenon and Frist. 🙂

My claim to fame is that my apartment was rented by Shania Twain's manager when she was just starting out.  I occasionally would receive mail for her there...such as an invitation to the CMAs.  😄

• Like 2

3 hours ago, umsami said:

Went to school at Vandy 20+ years ago...and used to hang out at a great book store in Green Hills called Davis-Kidd.  Took my Mom to the Bluebird back then and we had a blast.  

My claim to fame is that my apartment was rented by Shania Twain's manager when she was just starting out.  I occasionally would receive mail for her there...such as an invitation to the CMAs.  😄

My dh went to Vandy. We lived at the Village at Vanderbilt apartments, the very first year they were built. I remember Davis Kidd, too. Such a great bookstore! 

• Like 1

My hubby is an amatuer songwriter and has been to the BB many times. I got to see George Jones at the Ryman before he passed. That was great. I agree you should definitely see the Parthenon while in Nashville. Also people frequently like to stroll through the Opryland Hotel and maybe check out the restaurants while there. Hope you enjoy your trip.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2019 at 2:24 PM, Selkie said:

Have you been back since?  Your job there - fun!  Thanks re: dd's birthday!

On 5/19/2019 at 2:34 PM, Ailaena said:

Yay!

So I’m stupid, and even though I’m looking at the website, I have no idea what this is.  It’s a club?  With amateur music?  There’s no food?  Why is it so popular?  Just because Nashville is a country music magnet?  

Well, no, I'm sure you're not stupid!  The BB café started in 1982, I believe, and is a venue for recording artists/singers!  Many performers are "launched" by singing at the BB.  So, the café is located in a strip mall but it is in Green Hills or in the Green Hills "area" of Nashville (Scout, right?) and while the strip mall is "plain" and unassuming, these shops and café are located in a "very upscale" area of Nashville.  Still, you walk in to an incredibly small venue.  There might be 20 tables or so of various sizes.   Very intimate!  We "won" tickets at table 14.  I say won but we were actually randomly chosen to go.  The small stage is against a wall.   Lights are lowered and the performance begins.  They are open 7 days a week and based on the day will determine if it's a "new" artist or group or someone who has achieved some level of recognition either locally and/or nationally.  Genres include country, gospel and others.  (Refer to website). There are "usually" 2 performances a night.  There is food.  There is a $10 per person mandatory purchase of food and/or drink (alcohol and non-alcohol).  Sometimes there is a cover charge and other times not.  All of those reasons and probably more is why it's popular, hence that magnet.  

On 5/19/2019 at 8:21 PM, fairfarmhand said:

Are you going to be around tomorrow? Because the Parthenon and the frist are fun too.

and you’re just 30 minutes from me! 😉

I don't know why I didn't see these replies!  I responded above in an earlier post and didn't see these until now.  We left Monday around 2 pm.  Can't believe you're only 30 min away.  Which direction?

On 5/19/2019 at 9:39 PM, AprilTN said:

So cool!  I live a short drive south of that area.  I'm actually going to Trader Joe's tomorrow, it's just down the street from BB Cafe.  Have you guys ever toured the Ryman?  You might enjoy that too.

I second the Frist and the Parthenon.  Currently at the Frist there is a Dorothea Lang exhibit that is simple yet remarkable.  I was very moved by the exhibit.  I've been to museums all over the world, but sometimes a small and simple museum exhibit can be as powerful as an extensive collection of something.

True Food Kitchen and Char are two restaurants that are close to BB Cafe that have wonderful food.  If you like Restoration Hardware, there is a 70,000 square foot store in front of Green Hills mall.  

Enjoy!!! 

I can't believe you live there too! 🙂 We went to WF and wanted to go to TJ but didn't get to that one this time.   We have not toured the Ryman.  It wasn't on our list this time.  Did not go to Frist or Parthenon b/c it wasn't on our agenda this time.  I saw Char and wondered about it.  We went to Green Hills Grille - which was fantastic!  I had the lemon asparagus chicken over mashed potatoes and broccoli! It was one of the best meals I've every had! 

On 5/19/2019 at 9:46 PM, Another Lynn said:

So many of y'all lived in Nashville at one time - incredible!  

• Like 1

The Bluebird is on my bucket list. I'm so glad you got in and for your daughter's birthday nonetheless. She will not be forgetting that!

Whole Foods in that area is the best I've ever been to anywhere, and I've been to a lot of them. Their hot bar and salad bar and olive/pickle bar are ridiculously good. I dream of them sometimes. 😁

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 11:51 AM, JennyD said:

Wow!  We have lived in Nashville for 8 years now and I have yet to get into the Bluebird. DH has been twice and says it's fantastic -- I ams sure you will have a great time.

I love the Grand Ole Opry and recommend it to everyone who visits Nashville. 

There is somewhat of a technique to "up" your chances.  If you'll be back in Nashville visiting and want to go to BB, read their website for tips on getting in.  Between dd and I we used 3 devices (I later found out on Sunday from one of the male employees to use more than 1 device so I guess we did it right!) and the computer I was using was tagged and chosen!  There are seats that are available on a first come, first serve basis - the church pews might hold around 15 or so people!  You arrive at the BB and "wait" in line to get one of those seats that are NOT reserved.  We were chosen to sit at a table so our seats were reserved.  Additionally, there are no-shows and seats at table open up!  DH, DD and I sat at a table with 4 chairs.  The 4th chair went to a man who got in b/c he was waiting in line and he was by himself to fill that 4th seat! Also, there are seats at the "bar" (customers need to be a minimum age of 21 to even "sit" at the bar). 

We went to GOO on Saturday and it was GREAT!  We saw Ricky Skaggs, Brett Young and more.  EXCELLENT!

On 5/20/2019 at 8:40 PM, iamonlyone said:

My husband and I lived there 26 years ago too! How funny! (Although I didn't work in accounting; I did the marketing for a mental health care hospital chain.)

Funny!   I'd like to know where y'all moved to - those of you who once lived in Nashville but no longer. 

11 hours ago, umsami said:

I LIKE Shania Twain and wish she'd perform again.  I had one of her cd's. 

8 hours ago, Pink and Green Mom said:

Sounds like fun!!  I am going on a girls weekend trip to Nashville in July with 5 high school friends.  Will have to look into this....

Hard but not impossible to get in to BB. Read their website and maybe what I shared here will help too!

8 hours ago, Selkie said:

My dh went to Vandy. We lived at the Village at Vanderbilt apartments, the very first year they were built. I remember Davis Kidd, too. Such a great bookstore! 

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

My hubby is an amatuer songwriter and has been to the BB many times. I got to see George Jones at the Ryman before he passed. That was great. I agree you should definitely see the Parthenon while in Nashville. Also people frequently like to stroll through the Opryland Hotel and maybe check out the restaurants while there. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Great!  Yes, dh wanted to go to the hotel but we just didn't have the time.

5 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

So many Nashville connections!  Some of y'all had to overlap in when you were here! I know there are at least seven or eight boardies  who post (nevermind how many who lurk) who live around here now. 

Y'all should schedule a meet and greet.  Now, mind you, if you do, please do so when we go back for another visit.  But, it won't be until probably next year!  

7 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

The Bluebird is on my bucket list. I'm so glad you got in and for your daughter's birthday nonetheless. She will not be forgetting that!

Whole Foods in that area is the best I've ever been to anywhere, and I've been to a lot of them. Their hot bar and salad bar and olive/pickle bar are ridiculously good. I dream of them sometimes. 😁

Yes, I agree.  And, it was the group's first time performing at the BB!  They took pics with those who wanted them.  I snuck up during the time a pic was taken with dd in the middle of the 4 of them and said to one of the guys that it was dd's birthday and they wished her happy birthday!  Agree - awesome WF in Green Hills.

• Like 1

For Scout, AprilTN and others,  

This was our schedule to explain why we didn't/couldn't hit the Ryman, Parthenon and others.  I started organizing this vacation back in January, I think.  

Thursday - drove to Cookeville and stayed there.
Friday - arrived in Nashville around 11 am.  We drove east (Charlotte) to west (Nashville) and not knowing how big Nashville is, we scheduled our first event and arrived on the northeast side (?) of N to take a bus tour of the stars' homes.  This company will pick up their customers at their hotels but we stayed at an Airbnb so we had to arrive at the tour company's "office".  Left for tour at 1:30 and returned 5'ish.  Dinner at Green Hills Grille. 
Saturday - Green Hills/Nordstrom, toured around and had lunch at Opry Mills Mall, GOO (arrived 4:00 and got tickets at will call, gift shop, auditorium). Left around 9:30 pm.
Sunday - dd's photo shoot with many of the murals y'all have!  Lunch in 12 South (?) at Edley's.  Visited West Elm, WF, back to change, BB 5 - 7 pm.  Walked Music  Row. 
Monday -  Lunch at Frothy Monkey in Nations and left around 2:00 and got home at 11:00 last night! 

We looking forward to another visit to Nashville.  What a beautiful area!  We'll probably go to BB again and this probably wait in line this time.    And, we'll actually be able to see/do other things.  I wanted to get to Franklin but we just couldn't add anything else. 

Edited by sheryl
  • Like 1

Nashville is a beautiful city. In the summer there’s Shakespeare In the park and some free concerts. And the country music awards are great too! Not far outside the city there are some great state parks for hiking and fishing and other outdoors stuff. And the  schermerhorn has great music too. Nashville is not just country music!

• Like 2

I really like Puckett's in Nashville.

25 minutes ago, sheryl said:

To the locals on this board, can you recommend a bbq place.  Edleys was good, just wondering if there are others.   Is Jacks bbq good?   Scout, that would be fun!  I'm sure you'd have a great turnout!  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skippy said:

I really like Puckett's in Nashville.

Another shout out to you, Skippy!  I looked at Puckett's menu and it looks awesome!  Franklin was the only area we didn't have time to go to.  It looks like a quaint, little town and we'd like that!  Definitely adding this place for bbq.  So many things look good on their menu.  Do  you know if the coleslaw if vinegar or cream based?  I LOVE cabbage and coleslaw.  Also, have you tried their cobbler?  YUM!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

Another shout out to you, Skippy!  I looked at Puckett's menu and it looks awesome!  Franklin was the only area we didn't have time to go to.  It looks like a quaint, little town and we'd like that!  Definitely adding this place for bbq.  So many things look good on their menu.  Do  you know if the coleslaw if vinegar or cream based?  I LOVE cabbage and coleslaw.  Also, have you tried their cobbler?  YUM!

I am sure you would love Franklin. I haven't been to the Puckett's location in Franklin but have gone several times to the downtown Nashville location on Church Street. I don't think I've had their coleslaw or cobbler. My favorite is the brisket nachos, and my husband likes the fried green tomato BLT.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Skippy said:

I am sure you would love Franklin. I haven't been to the Puckett's location in Franklin but have gone several times to the downtown Nashville location on Church Street. I don't think I've had their coleslaw or cobbler. My favorite is the brisket nachos, and my husband likes the fried green tomato BLT.

OK, thanks so much.  It sounds delicious.  I had beef brisket sandwich at Edley's and it was good.  Looking forward to trying Pucketts!   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skippy said:

I am so glad you enjoyed your trip to Nashville! My son works in the music industry in Nashville and loves it.

Yes, we all enjoy music!  That's one reason we chose Nashville.  I'm sure your son has ,many good stories to tell.   My dd and I volunteer with a production company who coordinates the local scene for recording artists.  We've handed out handbills and sold merchandise.  This past January at WinterJam we were stationed at Newsboys' merchandise table.  Two of the men who tour with the group b/c they work for them, both live in Nashville.  One of them has sung at BB!  I picked their brains then about our then upcoming trip to Nashville!  DD and I have fun and have volunteered with this same company for about 5 years (Bethel, Toby Mac, WinterJam several times to name a few). 

One of my stories re: Newsboys.  We were asked by one of those men who work for the group directly to help haul the merchandise back to the bus/truck.  It was January when we had the eclipse.  It was late at night, maybe 11 pm - 12 am.  I along with others rolled a metal multi-tiered and somewhat tall cart through the parking lot, up the ramp, crossing over the intersection and into the parking lot where the bus/truck were located.  We were bundled in coats.  I faintly remember having a hard time pushing this cart up the parking lot entry where there is a slight incline. I noticed this afterward, but a man in a hooded coat came alongside me and proceeded to the front of the cart where he pulled as I pushed.  It turned out to be Jody Davis!  I didn't react but just thanked him for lending a hand.  Michael Tait came running to the bus and got on.  You can't miss his tall stature and bouncing locks! 🙂  Duncan Phillips, the drummer, came outside to "look and gaze" upon the eclipse.  My dd and another Mom/daughter approached him in the still of the night in this almost deserted parking lot to ask for pics.  He was kind and they all took selfies.   I didn't want to bother him but he so kindly obliged their request.   So sweet! 

• Like 1