Menu

Oh no! Care.com

Night Elf

I signed up for a one month membership not realizing it was a recurring charge. I went onto my account and it won't let me delete my card number from the account. It did let me downgrade to its free service which doesn't allow me to see reviews and I don't know what else premium does. So then I started looking at reviews and this site has gotten horrible reviews! I've got 3 ladies I'm talking to so I did find some potential employees. My premium status will last the one month I paid but I'm worried they'll charge me again. I sent them a message explaining I wanted my number off my account and that I only had planned on one month's service as if I can't find a housekeeper in that time, I need to try elsewhere.

So if they do charge me again, what are my recourses? I suppose I can dispute the charge with my bank, but will that be a one time thing and care.com will never charge me again, or will I need to do that every month for a long time? I don't want to do that!

I was reading this on a website, on how to close your account with them:

Hover over “My Care.com” on the Top Right of the Home Page. Click “Account and Settings.” Scroll Down to the “Membership Information” Section and Click the “Close Account” Button. Press the “No thanks, cancel my membership” option then select a reason for why you are closing your account.

• Like 3

I don't know anything about care.com  but if you dispute the charge your bank will likely cancel your debit card. So care.com would not be able to charge you again. (Maybe I'm assuming incorrectly that you are using a debit card, not a credit card.)

ETA: I thought I had found their phone # from a quick google search but after looking at it again I'm not sure it's really theirs. 

ETA 2:  if you are looking for a housekeeper, why not check a housekeeping company?  One I have seen all over the place is Merry Maids, though of course I don't know if they are in your area.

Edited by marbel

I hope you figure it out.  We've discovered that many companies even though you *cancel* the subscription/membership, etc... they still continue to charge.  My husband cancelled his membership - in person - at a local gym.  Asked them, "Is this all I need to do to cancel?"  He was told it was enough... 3 months later we discover he's still being charged!!   

We canceled Wired Mag. YEARS ago-  multiple times when they would call...... and only recently discovered by accident that they were charging us once a year for a subscription.  This is after cc have been updated to new expir. dates.  and we've moved.   Ugh... partially our own fault for not looking closely at EVERY dang statement. 

57 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

I signed up for a one month membership not realizing it was a recurring charge. I went onto my account and it won't let me delete my card number from the account. It did let me downgrade to its free service which doesn't allow me to see reviews and I don't know what else premium does. So then I started looking at reviews and this site has gotten horrible reviews! I've got 3 ladies I'm talking to so I did find some potential employees. My premium status will last the one month I paid but I'm worried they'll charge me again. I sent them a message explaining I wanted my number off my account and that I only had planned on one month's service as if I can't find a housekeeper in that time, I need to try elsewhere.

So if they do charge me again, what are my recourses? I suppose I can dispute the charge with my bank, but will that be a one time thing and care.com will never charge me again, or will I need to do that every month for a long time? I don't want to do that!

I had this problem with Angie's List a couple of years ago before they switched to a free service. Dh signed up, but I was the one who had to call a human and threaten them with disputing the charge as fraudulent with my CC company in order to get them to STOP. Nothing short of calling and saying the word fraud worked. I hope you have better luck. (I hate confrontational phone calls, I dreaded this for a week until I finally did it, but once I said that I would treat any further charges as fraud it did stop.)

• Like 2

if this is being difficult for you to cancel paying, I would suspect it is deliberately set up that way so they will continue to charge.  I would contact your cc company and let them know, only one month is authorized and they are not letting you cancel.

3 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

if this is being difficult for you to cancel paying, I would suspect it is deliberately set up that way so they will continue to charge.  I would contact your cc company and let them know, only one month is authorized and they are not letting you cancel.

I thought Beth said the site allowed her to downgrade to a free membership and that her Premium membership would expire at the end of the one-month period.

I’m not sure why she is worried that they will continue to bill her when there has been no indication of that thus far. I mean, I know it could happen, but she has already been able to switch to the free membership, so I don’t think she has any reason to be overly concerned. I do think it’s ridiculous that she hasn’t been able to delete her credit card information, though, and I hope she can call them to get it removed from her account.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I thought Beth said the site allowed her to downgrade to a free membership and that her Premium membership would expire at the end of the one-month period.

I’m not sure why she is worried that they will continue to bill her when there has been no indication of that thus far. I mean, I know it could happen, but she has already been able to switch to the free membership, so I don’t think she has any reason to be overly concerned. I do think it’s ridiculous that she hasn’t been able to delete her credit card information, though, and I hope she can call them to get it removed from her account.

In looking at reviews, I read several that said they were having problems with recurring charges despite their phone calls. That's why I'm worried.

I'm not going to do anything else until June 5th when my premium membership ends.

9 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

In looking at reviews, I read several that said they were having problems with recurring charges despite their phone calls. That's why I'm worried.

I'm not going to do anything else until June 5th when my premium membership ends.

Can you take a screenshot of your account page where it says you have downgraded to a free membership, and where it shows that your premium membership ends on June 5th?  It would be helpful to have that, because you can send it to your credit card company if Care.com bills you for another month and you have to dispute the charge.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Can you take a screenshot of your account page where it says you have downgraded to a free membership, and where it shows that your premium membership ends on June 5th?  It would be helpful to have that, because you can send it to your credit card company if Care.com bills you for another month and you have to dispute the charge.

I actually got an email from them just a few minutes ago that says that. 

I've got an interview with a potential employee on Thursday morning. I have another person I'm going to interview in person as well. 

• Like 1

Just now, Night Elf said:

I actually got an email from them just a few minutes ago that says that. 

I've got an interview with a potential employee on Thursday morning. I have another person I'm going to interview in person as well. 

That’s great news, Beth — if they sent the email, I’m pretty sure you have nothing to worry about.

I hope the interviews go well and you are able to find the right person!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

I hope you figure it out.  We've discovered that many companies even though you *cancel* the subscription/membership, etc... they still continue to charge.  My husband cancelled his membership - in person - at a local gym.  Asked them, "Is this all I need to do to cancel?"  He was told it was enough... 3 months later we discover he's still being charged!!   

There is an episode of Friends in which they try to quit a membership at a gym and find it impossible. Your husband may find it funny, if he hasn't seen it before. The episode is called "The One with the Ballroom Dancing."

14 hours ago, Night Elf said:

I faced this. I signed up when my Dad was going through hospice and forgot.  I emailed them and they refunded the money.

10 hours ago, katilac said:

NightElf, did you quit at the store or just looking for additional work? 

I'm looking for a housekeeper to come in weekly to clean my home. Because I work so much, I'm just too tired and unmotivated to care for my home the way I did when I was a housewife. 🙂

• Like 1

I got a response from Care.com customer service. She said she sees where my account will downgrade on June 5th and at that time, I can delete my credit card. So I should be good. I'm just hoping I can find someone within a month.