Menu

Closing costs-I messed up

lovinmyboys

We close on our house next week and overall I am happy with it. Dh’s company will reimburse closing costs, so we are paying a few thousand less than asking price and we are paying the sellers closing costs as well. I didn’t realize when we offered that, that it included their unpaid property taxes from this year. That is a few thousand more than I was expecting to pay and we have to have it in cash at closing.

When I said closing costs I thought it meant title fee, appraiser, inspection, loan fees, etc. Dh’s company doesn’t reimburse for property taxes and homeowner insurance fees. I didn’t realize that when people said closing costs they included things other than the cost of the loan. So, it will be a bit tight this summer. I am just so irritated with myself for not doing more research.

I feel like when we bought a house before, the sellers paid our closing costs and I am sure they didn’t prepay our insurance and taxes.

They aren’t really behind on the taxes-it is just the amount they owe from January-May of this year. Our realtor is looking into it. I feel like that is money owed at closing, but isn’t really a cost of closing. I don’t know if it matters what I think though.

I always thought of closing costs as costs of the mortgage fees and stuff, not taxes, water bills, etc.  That said when we closed on our last house it was spelled out as a certain percentage of the house price towards closing costs (for the person we were selling to) or an actual dollar amount towards closing (what the person selling to us paid).  I would not have put a blank check so to speak on just saying closing costs.  I am surprised your realtor didn't say anything about it before you agreed to the contract.

1 hour ago, WendyAndMilo said:

In my state it is a legal requirement that if the seller is behind on anything from property taxes to irrigation water, the buyer brings everything up to date.  But your agent/title company should have informed you of everything that the costs entail.

Property taxes are usually paid in arrears, so they would not be considered "behind".

I would think, as mentioned above, that the property taxes would be prorated. Now you have me concerned because my ds is getting ready to close on a house and he is paying all closing costs and...his real estate agent seems to be working for the sellers 🈴️

2 hours ago, Martha in GA said:

I would think, as mentioned above, that the property taxes would be prorated. Now you have me concerned because my ds is getting ready to close on a house and he is paying all closing costs and...his real estate agent seems to be working for the sellers 🈴️

Unless he specifically contracted with the real estate agent as a buyer's agent, then yes the agent is working for the seller.

• Like 4

When we bought our home (several homes ago) we received a tax bill for the previous year about a month after we closed on the house. We sent the tax bill to our realtor and she was able to make some magic and either the previous owner or the title company (whose job it is to make sure there is nothing owed on the house when you buy it - that it has a clean title) paid it. We did not feel it was right for us to pay taxes for an entire year before we moved in, just because the tax bill wasn’t delivered until right after we moved in...

I would be extremely upset if I had to pay those taxes as closing costs - that doesn’t seem like closings costs to me!  

6 hours ago, lovinmyboys said:

They aren’t really behind on the taxes-it is just the amount they owe from January-May of this year. Our realtor is looking into it. I feel like that is money owed at closing, but isn’t really a cost of closing. I don’t know if it matters what I think though.

Is this what is called a "Supplemental Tax Bill?" We will get one of those but it's only a few hundred. Either you bought a much, much more expensive house or taxes are even higher than in CA. We don't pay it at time of closing but the bill will arrive in the next two months.

Unless he specifically contracted with the real estate agent as a buyer's agent, then yes the agent is working for the seller.

Yes, he specifically contracted with the agent as a buyer's agent, but I think the agent is doing a terrible job advising and working for my son. I was livid when I saw that the sellers had actually signed the initial offer before my son had even read it!

3 hours ago, Martha in GA said:

Yes, he specifically contracted with the agent as a buyer's agent, but I think the agent is doing a terrible job advising and working for my son. I was livid when I saw that the sellers had actually signed the initial offer before my son had even read it!

??

When we made an offer on our house, we sent a signed offer. If the buyer had signed it, it would become valid. Otherwise the buyer made a counteroffer and sent that to US Signed. If we signed it, it became a valid offer.