Menu

Wedding gift help!

LMD

What do you buy for a couple who:

1. Have enough money/stuff

2. Have lived together for years (ie don't need to set up a home)

3. Who are very very dear, but relationship is complicated

4. We are not exactly flush with cash ourselves, but willing to spend a decent amount

They have asked for gifts towards a honeymoon fund, which I'm not entirely averse to, however they holiday internationally regularly anyway and the kind of contribution we could afford to make would not go that far and be quite forgettable iykwim. I would really like to do something special to mark my love and joy for this couple who are dear to me, who have been through a lot, and for whom this wedding is quite a momentous mark of their 'new/adult lives'

Any ideas?

I have to say - a couple who are living together and travel internationally already have rather a lot of chutzpuh asking others to contribute to a honeymoon fund. . . .

a gift basket of  meats/cheese?

a restaurant gift certificate

flowers to be delivered - some services will do plants to put in the garden/pot.

something homemade

my friend's brother is a very  . . . successful lawyer.  she sends him homemade divinity.  the year she didn't - he was very disappointed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Do they have a yard and like plants? A small tree (fruit tree perhaps depending on climate) or a nice indoor plant?

I have also ordered plaques for niece & nephew weddings at Etsy. 

They have some ornamental element on wood or other material and then the name, sort of like this:

Mary & Joe Miller

December 21, 2018

https://www.etsy.com/listing/554465346/personalized-wedding-gift-last-name?gpla=1&gao=1&utm_campaign=shopping_us_LaserWoodworker_sfc_osa&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_custom1=0&utm_content=16324257&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp-SUko6y3wIVWJ7ACh07AwCxEAQYBCABEgKTdPD_BwE

• Like 1

Maybe a nice tablecloth + table decoration (flowers in a short vase - so that you can leave it on the table while eating but still be able to see over it)

House plant? Maybe a small indoor herb garden if they cook

Etsy has lots of cool things if they would like mementos of the day/time/new name

Maybe if they don't cook, you could put together some easy tasty recipes in a recipe book for them along with matching empty recipe cards for them to fill in later (of course, this might be old-fashioned. I still use some old favorites, but I often just print off a recipe to use anymore. )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

I have to say - a couple who are living together and travel internationally already have rather a lot of chutzpuh asking others to contribute to a honeymoon fund. . . .

a gift basket of  meats/cheese?

a restaurant gift certificate

flowers to be delivered - some services will do plants to put in the garden/pot.

something homemade

my friend's brother is a very  . . . successful lawyer.  she sends him homemade divinity.  the year she didn't - he was very disappointed.

Haha yeah, I admit I did balk slightly at the money for honeymoon thing, though I believe it's more a case of giving guests the option rather than a cash grab. They would truly be happy with no gift.

They don't garden. They are foodies, so I could do something like that but they're more likely to get better for themselves as a matter of course! 🙂

• Like 1

I would probably do a restaurant gift card or something consumable (nice olive oil and vinegar, set of jams and jellies, nice wine) or something seasonal like a nice Christmas serving piece that they do not have out all of the time but would occasionally bring out and remember the gift

• Like 2

As far as serving stuff, I sometimes get gifts from a potter who lived down the street from my old house.  She had some great stuff that usually no one has.  Once I got a perforated berry bowl for storing soft fruit in the fridge - the juice can sep through the holes and collects in an attached saucer, so they don't get mushy.  And she also made salt pigs which are really useful for cooks.

• Like 3

You guys have got my mind buzzing, thank you! Here are some thoughts so far:

Nice bottle of wine from the wine region that they're getting married in. Personalised label.

Nice blanket/throw from wool from the region that I live in.

Beautiful herbal teapot/infuser set with a bunch of teas

• Like 4

I don't sweat wedding gifts.  I just write a check, with a extensive note in the card, sharing a memory or something.
My second preferred gift is photos. 

You could probably get some photos of them off FB & make a collage, or something.  Yes, it could be considered clutter.  🙂
Or give something that is obviously returnable (e.g. anything at Bed Bath & Beyond).

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 1

Aww I feel like I've painted them in a bad light! They are genuinely lovely people, and definitely not the type to grab for cash! This is more a case of 'we really don't need gifts but people feel like they can't go to a wedding sans gift so this is an option' - it's also much more normal in her dh-to-be's culture (my dh's heritage culture is the same about weddings - they give a lot of cash) I'm not necessarily opposed to cash, but I'd like to do something a bit more special.

I like that stoneware idea Kassia. I can probably find something similar here (Australia)

• Like 1

Ooh actually, just had an idea. There's a real specialty charcuterie place near here, using beautiful local produce. I can get them to put together some of those items for me, maybe I'll get a nice stoneware platter to go with it.

• Like 3

I always buy a beautiful picture frame. You'd be surprised how many couples get wedding photos and then never get around to having any of them framed. We always do 8 x 10 which is a standard size to order. We've received many thanks that it was a great idea. LOL, I went into my nephew's house one time and five years post wedding, their photos were still on the mantle with sticky tack! That was my inspiration for buying frames as gifts.

• Like 2