Menu

Care to help me make a wish list?

Kareni

I know that in a week or so that my husband, daughter, and sister will likely be asking me if there is anything I'd like for Christmas.  While I'm sure there will be a few small gift certificates in my future, I think they'd also like to give some tangible gifts.  My daughter and husband would likely appreciate a few suggestions for gifts that are under 30 dollars; my sister might go up to 100 dollars.

Care to help me make a wish list?

Here's some information that may (or may not) help:

1. I read voraciously on paper and also on my Kindle; I'll definitely be passing along some specific book titles.

1.5.  I'm in a book group.

2. I occasionally listen to CDs.  I like some edgier musicals (Spring Awakening, Rent, Hamilton, Les Mis) as well as a variety of artists such as Cousteau, Happy Rhodes, Billy Joel and Tom Lehrer.

3.  I attend an art gathering each month; I've dabbled with watercolors, drawing with colored pencils (not with coloring books), and Zentangles. 
** if you have a suggestion of something portable to try, suggest away!

4.  I volunteer at the public library.

5.  I like playing games but we have many already.
** if you have a suggestion of a good game for one or two players, I could probably make room for it.

6.  I like to shop at thrift stores.

7.   I generally get around by walking, riding the bus, or being a passenger when my husband drives.

ETA:  8.  I'm looking for a pillow.   I don't care for My Pillow.   The Side Sleeper's Ergonomic Pillow was promising; however, my ear was on the edge of the pillow rather than centered over the depression.  (Reading the comments, I see that a number of others had the same issue.  I'd like a smaller version of the same.)

Things I do not do or need:

-- I do not watch movies

-- I do not drink coffee, tea, or liquor.
** if you have a favorite hot chocolate to recommend, I'm listening as I do drink hot chocolate made with milk.

-- I do not garden. 

-- I do not cook much; I'm VERY fortunate that my husband likes to cook.

-- I do not wear make-up, perfume (ETA: scented soaps or lotion because of eczema), or jewelry.

-- I do not work out, hike, or bike.  (I'm predominantly sedentary.)

-- I do not need clothes or accessories.
** one exception, we keep our home at 60 degrees in the winter, so fingerless gloves might be welcome.

-- I do not need food recommendations as we eat a low sodium diet for health reasons.
** if you have a favorite muesli to recommend, I'm listening.  (Nothing with cinnamon, please.)
**  I do like black currants, so if you have thoughts in that direction, I'm eager to hear.
** I love chocolate.

-- I do not have an interest in electronic items or cameras.

All ideas are welcome.

Regards,
Kareni

What about items like skincare, haircare, special soaps, bodywash - any kind of things that make you feel pampered?  

A family portrait (that would be my favorite gift)?

If you do a lot of walking, maybe some items to keep you warm - new gloves, a scarf, neck gaiter, hat, etc.?  I know you said no accessories, though.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I know that in a week or so that my husband, daughter, and sister will likely be asking me if there is anything I'd like for Christmas.  While I'm sure there will be a few small gift certificates in my future, I think they'd also like to give some tangible gifts.  My daughter and husband would likely appreciate a few suggestions for gifts that are under 30 dollars; my sister might go up to 100 dollars.

3.  I attend an art gathering each month; I've dabbled with watercolors, drawing with colored pencils (not with coloring books), and Zentangles. 
** if you have a suggestion of something portable to try, suggest away! [/quote]

Perhaps you'd be interested in Copic markers or others like Chameleon?   Copics are very expensive, but people can gift various sizes of sets, so they are a good gift for all price ranges.  Chameleon brand is less expensive, but still good quality.  These types of markers are on my younger son's list, so I've been exploring different options.  Last I looked, the best price on Copic was at Walmart, although I'm guessing they'd have to be order online.  Don't know if they are available in local Walmart stores.

** one exception, we keep our home at 60 degrees in the winter, so fingerless gloves might be welcome.

That is very, very cold!  Brrrrrr.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Kassia said:

What about items like skincare, haircare, special soaps, bodywash - any kind of things that make you feel pampered?  

Chocolate makes me feel pampered!

I have eczema so I tend to avoid many scented items.  I've edited my original post to be a little more specific.

32 minutes ago, Kassia said:

A family portrait (that would be my favorite gift)?

That would be a lovely gift; Kassia, however, my daughter is living in South Korea.  I'll consider following up on your idea when she  is next home.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Serenade said:

Perhaps you'd be interested in Copic markers or others like Chameleon?

Those Chameleon markers look quite attractive, Serenade; thanks for the suggestion.

30 minutes ago, Serenade said:

These types of markers are on my younger son's list, so I've been exploring different options.

How would your son use such markers?  Manga?

32 minutes ago, Serenade said:

That is very, very cold!  Brrrrrr.

60 degrees is chilly, I agree.  We keep the house at that temperature to save money.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

Here are a couple of things I added to my list this year:

A one-line-a-day journal: Because I've always wanted to be a journaler and never seem to stick with it. I think I can manage a sentence or two per day. And it will be fun to look back over time and see how things have changed (or not!).

Cashmere socks! My mother gave me a pair years ago ad they were the best, softest socks ever! I recently remembered how much I'd loved them. Might be especially nice in your chilly house. 

Do you collect anything? I realized yesterday as I was getting out my Christmas china that I haven't gotten any new pieces in a long time, so I added my pattern to my list. I don't like a lot of knick-knacks and such but I do use the Christmas china every Christmas morning and I love to put it out on the dining room table (you know, the one that most of the year is covered with sports gear, homeschooling books, and various detritus) as part of my decor.

• Like 2

How about a nice sketchbook? And maybe some Derwent Inktense pencils or Caran d'Ache Neocolor II crayons to go with it? I like these because I can both sketch and paint with them.  I also love having a waterbrush to use with these. You can have all sorts of fun playing with a waterbrush. I like to use it with Stabilo Point 88 fine markers or soluble ink fountain pens as well. Oh, and I absolutely love having a Pentel brush pen. I like the urbansketchers site to check out what people are doing and what they are doing it with. 😉 Lots of ideas there.

Since you like books and you are artistic, have you ever thought of making your own books? A class might be fun, or some bookmaking supplies (you don't need a lot of stuff). Then you could sketch in your very own sketchbook, which is pretty neat. 🙂 There are loads of books to learn how to make books.

• Like 2

Hot Cocoa - My dd loves hot cocoa.  A few years ago we went sledding with friends who brought along a cocoa machine!  You put in milk and hot cocoa mix (or water, but we prefer milk) and it stirs and heats your cocoa to the perfect frothy drink.  We loved it so much we got one for ourselves and for my dad.  Here's something similar to what we have.  Super pampered hot cocoa!

Watercolor - I'm considering subscribing to this watercolor kit for my dd17.  It's just easy fun watercolors.  You can subscribe (4 kits a month) or purchase individual kits.  Let's Make Art

Happy list making!

Edited by WendyLady
  • Like 1

I second the line a day journal.  I like mine a lot!  They're made by Chronicle Books.  I haven't looked lately but their website usually has interesting things. https://www.chroniclebooks.com

Writing gloves from Storiarts are neat if you find a novel you like: https://storiarts.com/collections/gloves?gclid=Cj0KCQiA8_PfBRC3ARIsAOzJ2up9sLZowXFayt-klmjgD0K0U2rxFuocypFxd5ovCm2rtqz64KdDG4AaAghXEALw_wcB

• Like 1

Prismacolor pencils in a tin: https://www.amazon.com/Prismacolor-3598T-Premier-Colored-Pencils/dp/B00006IEEV/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1543369145&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=prang+colored+pencils+tin

water color paper: https://www.amazon.com/Canson-Watercolor-Textured-Charcoal-100510941/dp/B004M59O4C/ref=pd_bxgy_201_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004M59O4C&pd_rd_r=90ec0bc0-f2ae-11e8-9c63-45750980d7ef&pd_rd_w=RQDoi&pd_rd_wg=224Lp&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=TJR8VCWV8F716AF2V0V3&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=TJR8VCWV8F716AF2V0V3

silk sleep mask: https://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Natural-Sleep-Blindfold-Smooth/dp/B00GSO1D9O/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1543369339&sr=8-3&keywords=silk+sleep+mask

a winter weight beanie hat: https://www.columbia.com/womens-cabled-cutie-beanie-CL9973.html?cgid=winterHats&dwvar_CL9973_variationColor=031#start=0

shoe/boot/glove dryer?: https://www.amazon.com/PEET-Dryer-Original-2-Shoe-Electric/dp/B001J4HQ76/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1543369782&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=boot+dryer&psc=1

shoe spikes? https://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Traction-Cleats-Walking-Medium/dp/B0094GO9DA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1543369848&sr=8-4&keywords=shoe+spikes

black currant candy? https://www.amazon.com/Simpkins-Black-Currant-Candy-Drops/dp/B002B7OQ5U/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1543369917&sr=8-3&keywords=black+currant+candy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

** if you have a suggestion of something portable to try, suggest away!

I got my oldest this one Christmas. She loves this watercolor paint sketcher box - very portable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004THXI/

She prefers small pads that are easy to slip in a backpack and you can pull out when you have a spare moment - any watercolor pad will do. She preferred the ones that were perforated on the top so you could take them out.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I got my oldest this one Christmas. She loves this watercolor paint sketcher box - very portable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004THXI/

She prefers small pads that are easy to slip in a backpack and you can pull out when you have a spare moment - any watercolor pad will do. She preferred the ones that were perforated on the top so you could take them out.

That is the set my dd uses.  She was given it as a hand me down roughly 8 years ago and other than replacing the blues it is still going strong.  Good paper that is made for purpose is a gift my daughter loves.  So nice water color paper to go with.  She also has enjoyed water color pencils......no idea what brand to recommend as she has a basic set but borrows from her art teacher frequently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeachyDoodle said:

A one-line-a-day journal: Because I've always wanted to be a journaler and never seem to stick with it. I think I can manage a sentence or two per day. And it will be fun to look back over time and see how things have changed (or not!).

That's really a lovely idea -- and, frankly, a lovely journal, too.  I too am a failed journaler though I do have several of my old attempts still in my possession.  When she was about sixteen, I shared with my daughter my journal from the same age.  She was mightily amused at how many entries began, "Not much has happened since I last wrote."  I'm afraid the same might still be true!

Cashmere socks! My mother gave me a pair years ago ad they were the best, softest socks ever!

Another lovely idea.  Hmm .... I shall ponder this.  Thanks for the suggestions, PeachyDoodle.

ETA: 

Do you collect anything?

Do dust bunnies count?

Regards,
Kareni

1 hour ago, bibiche said:

Since you like books and you are artistic, ...

The former is true; however, the latter is sadly not.  I'd describe myself as a dabbler.  I met the art group host in a colored pencil class , and she kindly invited me to attend.  I'll admit that I attend more for the camaraderie than for the art.

And maybe some Derwent Inktense  pencils ...

Are you familiar with the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon? ("where one stumbles upon some obscure piece of information—often an unfamiliar word or name—and soon afterwards encounters the same subject again, often repeatedly.")  Said host sent me an email today in which she mentioned having discovered these pencils!

I like the urbansketchers site

What wonderful art work on that site!  Thanks for sharing it.  And now I'm reminded of some books I read by Danny Gregory.

Thank you for the suggestions, bibiche!

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WendyLady said:

Here's something similar to what we have.  Super pampered hot cocoa!

What a fun idea, WendyLady.  I'd never seen such a thing.

1 hour ago, WendyLady said:

Watercolor - I'm considering subscribing to this watercolor kit for my dd17.  It's just easy fun watercolors.  You can subscribe (4 kits a month) or purchase individual kits.  Let's Make Art

Ooh, that does look like fun.  My watercolor experience to date has been with Watercolor: For the Artistically Undiscovered,  so when I say that I dabble, I mean it!

Thanks for chiming in!

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happi duck said:

Chronicle Books.  I haven't looked lately but their website usually has interesting things. https://www.chroniclebooks.com

They do indeed have a lot of enticing things on their site, happi duck.  I've had a few of their books in the past and have been pleased with their quality.

Those really are lovely, happi duck!  I've drooled over Storiarts things before.  Decisions, decisions ....

Book shaped vase/holder: Here's one but there's other styles: https://www.chroniclebooks.com/titles/gifts/bibliophile-vase-a-compendium-of-flowers.html

That is charming!

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

Those Chameleon markers look quite attractive, Serenade; thanks for the suggestion.

How would your son use such markers?  Manga?

I believe they are often used for manga, although my son just uses them for whatever he is creating at the moment.  He did a beautiful picture of a dragon in bold colors that I would post and share, except I don't have the mental energy to figure that out right now.  For his 16th birthday today (!), he requested these markers because they are less expensive and have good reviews, and he knew he would be able to get more colors.   He just got them tonight, so I can't yet comment on how he likes them and how they compare with the more expensive markers.  I will still be getting him a small set of Copics for Christmas. 

Edited by Serenade
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I saw mention of Yaktrax earlier today; now I know what they are.

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I'm drooling now, prairiewindmomma!

Thank you for the many suggestions ~

Regards,
Kareni

31 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

a heated mattress pad—there is nothing more luxurious than crawling into a pre warmed bed.

Isn't that the truth!  We use those low tech things called hot water bottles and also corn bags.  I know my husband would love your idea.

Regards,
Kareni

24 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

How about a shopping trolly for the library books etc when you are exploring on your own?  They are far easier to handle getting on and off buses than I ever imagined and can hold a whole lot.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KX49GHK

Hmm, I've looked at similar items in the past;  I like the one you linked as the material is waterproof.  I don't think I'm quite ready to commit to this, but I think I will in a few years.  Thanks for the suggestion, mumto2.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Serenade said:

For his 16th birthday today (!) ...

Happy birthday  to your son, Serenade!

13 minutes ago, Serenade said:

He did a beautiful picture of a dragon in bold colors that I would post and share, except I don't have the mental energy to figure that out right now.

I hope you will share it at some point.

Thank you for the link to the other markers.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Hmm, I've looked at similar items in the past;  I like the one you linked as the material is waterproof.  I don't think I'm quite ready to commit to this, but I think I will in a few years.  Thanks for the suggestion, mumto2.

Regards,
Kareni

I’m not ready for one either but I seem to find myself lugging a friend’s around occasionally!   They are suprisingly easy to deal with.  She can fit a whole LOT in hers.  The one I linked is pretty fancy comparedly and no designs so more my style.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Kareni, do you have a link to a quality hot water bottle? I am looking for one. I can’t seem to shake the chill, but I am the only cold one in the house. I have been checked for anemia/thyroid/etc. so I just need to cope.

Fashy makes great hot water bottles. You can order them on amazon.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Kareni, do you have a link to a quality hot water bottle?

27 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Fashy makes great hot water bottles. You can order them on amazon

I concur.  We have bought these for ourselves and for our daughter.  She has hers now in South Korea.

Here's a page with a number of choices.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

A nice calendar? 

Rifle Paper Desk and Wall Calendars

Art Page-a-Day Calendar - there are so many variations on this! We always have a Jeopardy! one and I think several art museums put out their own calendars, too. 

Dolphin Studio 2019 Calendar - doesn't the printmaking look fun?!

Edited by Mothersweets
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

Dolphin Studio 2019 Calendar - doesn't the printmaking look fun?!

That really is lovely; thanks for posting the link.

2 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

Chocolate ideas 

Ooh, now we're talking!  Those all look deliciously extravagant.

2 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

Recchiuti Confections Black Box

It's a little scary to think I could eat forty-eight dollars of chocolate in a day ....

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

8 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I ordered a fashy hot water bottle; thanks!

I hope it will keep you nice and warm!

We used to warm my daughter's bed with our one hot water bottle before bedtime and then move it to our bed.  Her favorite gift when she was four years old was a hot water bottle of her very own.

Regards,
Kareni

On 11/27/2018 at 8:49 PM, happi duck said:

That's *exactly* what I was going to recommend.

We just got a pair of these in the mail (ds ordered them for dd for Xmas). She's getting the Strange the Dreamer ones. Dd has a few pairs of similar fingerless gloves already & she uses them all the time during cool/cold weather.

A couple of years ago, my kids gave me the The Raven (of course) infinity scarf from them. 😊 (I seriously still want the Dracula one too. Lol.)

• Like 2

Drinking chocolate

Leonidas Belgian chocolates

Rice-filled heat packs (We have some that both my mom & sil made us. My ds & I use these all the time. Ours are filled with jasmine rice & smell so soothing & lovely when heated in the microwave for a minute. They're a comfort to have in a chair or in bed on a chilly night. Fwiw, we prefer rice because of the weight [rather than buckwheat or something else] & I recommend a heavy cotton fabric for the cover because I don't really like the fleece/flannel type ones as much. Just personal preferences, though.)

The perfect coloring book?

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stacia said:

Drinking chocolate

I'll admit that the article made me chuckle: "Our dedicated drinking chocolate tasters were served each sample blind and asked to rate all 14 contenders on a scale of 1 to 10; 1 being, "What is this foul, brown swill masquerading as chocolate?!" while 10 represented a cup that "would warm the darkest and dreariest of winter days like a ray of molten chocolate sunshine.""

I think I'll be adding some drinking chocolate to my wish list, Stacia.  Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Stacia said:

The perfect coloring book?

Very cute!  You clearly know me well.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

I'll admit that the article made me chuckle: "Our dedicated drinking chocolate tasters were served each sample blind and asked to rate all 14 contenders on a scale of 1 to 10; 1 being, "What is this foul, brown swill masquerading as chocolate?!" while 10 represented a cup that "would warm the darkest and dreariest of winter days like a ray of molten chocolate sunshine.""

I think I'll be adding some drinking chocolate to my wish list, Stacia.  Thank you!

Maybe ask for one of the mugs here to go along with your drinking chocolate?

Edited by Stacia

1 hour ago, Stacia said:

Black currant granola? (I know nothing about this company. Doesn't look like there is cinnamon in the ingredients.)

Ooh, that looks delicious, Stacia!  I may be spending some time on that website. 

And this could cover two desires in one fell swoop: Chocolate Covered Dried Black Currants

1 hour ago, Stacia said:

Maybe ask for one of the mugs here to go along with your drinking chocolate?

There are some fun choices there.  I can certainly identify with the one that says, "I read past my bedtime."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1