Menu

Blended family .... name gifts JAWM

theelfqueen

Why do people insist on giving us gifts  labelled "The Smiths" or "The Smith Family" (not our actual name) when three of us are Smiths, and two of us are Jones (not their actual name either)? Gifts like wall signs or holiday ornaments. 

And then sometimes those people complain because their gift is not displayed. 

Seriously. I am awful for not displaying a gift that the Jones members of my family dislike because they are not Smiths. I got a snide comment today about how someone couldn't just buy me a personalized ornament like they bought someone else because "I am so picky". Yes I am picky about including all of my children in my family. So weird of me. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

27 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

Why do people insist on giving us gifts  labelled "The Smiths" or "The Smith Family" (not our actual name) when three of us are Smiths, and two of us are Jones (not their actual name either)? Gifts like wall signs or holiday ornaments. 

And then sometimes those people complain because their gift is not displayed. 

Seriously. I am awful for not displaying a gift that the Jones members of my family dislike because they are not Smiths. I got a snide comment today about how someone couldn't just buy me a personalized ornament like they bought someone else because "I am so picky". Yes I am picky about including all of my children in my family. So weird of me. 

Yes......my mom often refers to my family as the ‘Jones’.  I know she is t really thinking how it might make my ‘smith’ son feel, but it always makes me wince. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

Do you live in the monogram-y part of the country? We all have the same name at my house and I think we’ve received 2 monogrammed gifts in 25 years of marriage . . . both from southern gift givers. ?

It probably is a southern thing.  Beats me though.....I just saw a cute sign that seemed more inclusive but it has already escaped me.  Something like  We are all family here.  

My mother is that kind of person.  She insisted we answer the phone, "Step-dad's last name residence." She, step-dad, and step-brothers had that last name but my bio-brother and I had our dad's (her ex-husband's) last name. It was incredibly obnoxious both ways: the overly formal answer and disregard for there being more than last name in the residence. Then it fell out of fashion even for the hyper-formal types to use a last name in answering the phone, so it came to an end.  

I've only ever been given 1 monogrammed gift-a cute hand-painted penguin family ornament with our last name on it from my husband's sister.  We all have the same name last name, so it's not an issue. She only lived in The South for her early elementary school years.

If someone complained to me I would tell the truth matter-of-factly, "Our family is made up of people with 2 different last names, so I would only display an ornament that had both on it. It's Smith Jones, with or without a hyphen if you want to get us a personalized one that I'm willing to display." Pass the bean dip.

My answering machine growing up:  Hi! You’ve reached the Smith, Jones, Brown and Baker residence!  Please leave a message!

We were a *four* last name family.  We did not get personalized gifts!

Of course you have to include everyone!  Anyone who doesn’t get that is wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That seems a weird gift to get anyone. If you want one, best you select it yourself to read how you want it to read. 

But to ignore some people in the family? That is just beyond rude. Is it possible they didn't realize there were two last names in the family?  

I grew up in a 2 last name house.

My sister and I were Joneses; my mom, step-dad, and half-brother were Smiths.

When one of my Smith cousins served in the military in the Philippines, he bought items for each of us.  My parents were given a decoration for the home with the name Smith.  Each of the kids was given a gift with our first names.  Mine was a duffel bag (which I still use 25 years later!)

I did not take offense to the gift my cousin gave me and he certainly meant no offense.

The name Smith was not offensive to me and I considered myself part of the Smith family.

All of that to say: while most of the time this sort of gift is offensive, it is not always.

Ugh. I didn't take dh's name and I've said I don't mind when people call us "The Dh's-Weird-Italian-Name Family." But if I did, then come on. I have the right. And if it's kids, then it's no question. They should always get their name included.

My brother and his wife have several times sent me mail addressed to me as Mrs. Dh's-Lastname which... come on. That does bug me.

Going to be really honest it can be confusing and I try super hard not to hurt anyone’s feelings.  I have lots of notations in my address book that no one else understands.

For instance I have absolutely no idea what last name a longtime home ed friend’s children use.  I know she still uses the last name from her first marriage which is her legal name.  Her partner/the father, who I know and like, but I only know his first name.  I am always in a quandary when it comes to mailing things.  I just put first name/names and the address.  This has gone on for 10 years so it is a bit late to ask.

My brother has sent me checks with my child’s first name and my maiden name.  Now that is weird. I sort of understand when my family sends things with my maiden name to me.