Menu

how to relax?

HollyDay

I seem to have lost "my zen."  I'm not able to really relax well.  Granted the last 5 years have been one thing after another: deaths in family, deaths of friends, health crisises, moves, major life changes,etc.  And I have a back problem that causes chronic pain.  So, I suppose I have a fairly good reason for being less able to relax.  But, I need to be able to increase "my zen."  I can't keep going in crisis mode all the time.

What helps y'all chill and relax?

Time Outdoors.

Also, it really does help me to have one place that is an oasis in the house. So usually that's my bedroom. That room gets straightened and stays clean. I need one place in the house, if it's all a mess, where I can be okay. I'm the kind of person who really can't relax in a mess, so no piles of laundry, no cluttery messes, and I try to have it soothingly decorated. 

• Like 5

I'll add my voice to those who say being outdoors. That can be anything from taking a nature walk to just sitting outside and listening to the sounds around me (even if the sounds are man-made, man is part of nature) to gardening. 

Also:

-Reading fiction. Disappearing into a good book is very relaxing to me. 

-Cuddling with my pets (currently two cats).

-Working with my hands is relaxing - from crochet to sewing to doing any kind of craft (not really art, just crafty stuff).

-Simple breathing meditation. 

• Like 4

I usually find that I need to be alone when I’m hitting that point. Maybe it’s only an hour, but alone. Sometimes I need to be away from the house, sometimes I need my ‘clean, quiet’ space in the house (like fairfarmhand mentioned). It just depends on my alone-need at the time.

I used to like hot baths, but now my tub sucks so not so much anymore. 

Riding my bike makes me feel kind of carefree and relaxed. 

Playing with my dogs. 

Forgetting it all, sitting down to my favorite nextflix shows and relaxing. 

Reading a British cozy mystery in my quiet space. 

35 minutes ago, Katy said:

Nature, the sun, benadryl, bourbon (obviously the latter two not at the same time and not when alone with little kids or driving).

Not to derail, but what does bourbon taste like?I’ve often wondered, but have never had any. I also see brandy being consumed a lot on my British shows and don’t know what it tastes like either!

3 hours ago, mmasc said:

Not to derail, but what does bourbon taste like?I’ve often wondered, but have never had any. I also see brandy being consumed a lot on my British shows and don’t know what it tastes like either!

Bourbon tastes like whiskey, but a bit smoother and smokier.   Brandy is fruity like wine but stronger. It's distilled from wine.  The quality of both depends a bit on the amount you spend, more than wine, where a cheap blend can taste better than an expensive "pure" bottle.

You can go in a liquor store and buy tiny bottles if you want to sample something but not commit to a giant bottle, the kind they serve on airplanes, for just a few dollars.  I don't drink much wine, for example, because it gives me headaches.  But I buy tiny bottles - the kind with just a glass or two to use for recipes. Adding a glass of red wine to a roast, for example, makes all the difference in the world.  If you're not a drinker for religious reasons or something you can always use them in a recipe.  As long as it involves heat the alcohol will evaporate but the flavor will remain.

• Thanks 1