Menu

Updated: A hammock instead of a bed?

Slache

We will soon be separating my three children into two bedrooms and need to buy my daughter a new bed. She has requested a hammock instead of a bed and I said no because sleeping in a hammock is a terrible idea! Well, I Googled it and apparently it's a common thing. People love it. Convince me it's a terrible idea. I feel like it's a terrible idea. She will be six.

Or convince me it's a great idea and help me convince my husband of the same thing? I don't know. I don't know what I'm looking for here. Let's talk about full-time hammock sleeping. Go!

Update: We're getting this (or similar) and swapping the fabric out for this. It's low to the ground, steady, and the length of a regular bed.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

Because some people sleep really really well in hammocks. But not everyone does. Tummy sleepers might find transition to back sleeping in a hammock difficult. 

If she’s not a back sleeper, actively moves a lot at night, or wants a dog in bed with her, it is probably a bad idea. 

If she sleeps on back or side and could shift easily to back sleeping, and if you have something like a mattress on floor below hammock in case she were to fall out, I think it is an okay idea.

Some hammocks are not all that expensive and perhaps you could get one to experiment with before making a decision. If she tries it for a whole night or a few she may change her mind. If she tries it and seems incredibly well rested, you may change your mind. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Pen said:

Because some people sleep really really well in hammocks. But not everyone does. Tummy sleepers might find transition to back sleeping in a hammock difficult. 

If she’s not a back sleeper, actively moves a lot at night, or wants a dog in bed with her, it is probably a bad idea. 

If she sleeps on back or side and could shift easily to back sleeping, and if you have something like a mattress on floor below hammock in case she were to fall out, I think it is an okay idea.

Some hammocks are not all that expensive and perhaps you could get one to experiment with before making a decision. If she tries it for a whole night or a few she may change her mind. If she tries it and seems incredibly well rested, you may change your mind. 

She's a back sleeper.

I don't care if she falls out. She'll learn quick ir we'll get her a bed.

That was my plan. I did want a hammock so if it doesn't work out then I just have my hammock and she can have a bed.

8 minutes ago, saraha said:

Could you get a loft bed like at Ikea and hang a hammock underneath? That way she could have the best of both worlds

You clearly have not met her. She would spend the entire night going back and forth between the two and be a complete nightmare the entire next day because she didn't sleep enough. Good thought though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It seems like it would be hard on your spine!  When I was a girl, I started having back problems (soreness, and sometimes it would completely give out on me) from sleeping on a too-soft mattress.  After I began sleeping on a very firm mattress, I had no problems at all.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, J-rap said:

It seems like it would be hard on your spine!  When I was a girl, I started having back problems (soreness, and sometimes it would completely give out on me) from sleeping on a too-soft mattress.  After I began sleeping on a very firm mattress, I had no problems at all.

I definitely prefer a firm mattress! I have been looking around and it seems that this is good for your back..? It feels wrong. It sounds wrong. I'm willing to try it for her.

23 minutes ago, ZiMom said:

My back hurt just reading the title.

From personal experience or just as you imagine?

3 hours ago, J-rap said:

I think they are supposed to be better for backs if properly done.   

4 hours ago, Slache said:

She's a back sleeper.

I don't care if she falls out. She'll learn quick ir we'll get her a bed.

Mid she falls out and gets hurt it could be a problem. She’s only 6  

I guess if you hang it close to floor so she can’t fall far it could be okay  

me, i’d Put something soft down below  

• Like 1

I assume you mean a backpacking type hammock, my kids love playing in them but don’t sleep well in them. I have several backpacking friends that camp in them several nights in a row and love them though. There is kind of a trick to sleeping so that you can lay more flat than curved like a banana. I doubt she would fall out unless she was playing around, they kind of fold up around you.

If she just wants it so she can play, you can purchase the hammocks pretty inexpensively on Amazon. With the tree straps my 6 year old has gotten pretty good at putting his up in the backyard. Sometimes he needs help but his siblings are very good at hanging them. 

18 minutes ago, Pen said:

I think they are supposed to be better for backs if properly done.   

Mid she falls out and gets hurt it could be a problem. She’s only 6  

I guess if you hang it close to floor so she can’t fall far it could be okay  

me, i’d Put something soft down below  

Nah. She's super sturdy. She falls 8 feet off the playground and bounces. Two feet ain't nothin'.

8 minutes ago, Rachel said:

I assume you mean a backpacking type hammock, my kids love playing in them but don’t sleep well in them. I have several backpacking friends that camp in them several nights in a row and love them though. There is kind of a trick to sleeping so that you can lay more flat than curved like a banana. I doubt she would fall out unless she was playing around, they kind of fold up around you.

If she just wants it so she can play, you can purchase the hammocks pretty inexpensively on Amazon. With the tree straps my 6 year old has gotten pretty good at putting his up in the backyard. Sometimes he needs help but his siblings are very good at hanging them. 

I have no idea what I'm doing. This one was recommended as a permanent bed and... looks nifty? I like it. And the price is right.

4 minutes ago, OKBud said:

Oh if you have the space, you should do it! You know that sailors and people around the equator have slept in hammocks since way back. And it's good for the body. In addition to being good for your spinal alignment, it provides the kind of "push back" that Katy Bowman talks about. 

But how many cool parent points do you gain if you let your kid's bed be a hammock! (So many)

And, yeah, who cares if she falls out lol. My kids fell.out of their perfectly regular beds all the time until like five minutes ago. All is well.

I know, right! The thing is she's a middle child with two brothers and a birthday shortly after Christmas. She's always getting the shaft. I would like to do this for her. Tell me about this push back thing.

• Like 1

My kids have a hammock in their room (eno-style knock off, $35 on amazon at the time I bought it).  We drilled eye-bolts in to a door frame and window frame on opposite sides of the room, and hang it from those with the tree straps (copied from this website).  One kid or the other sleeps in it for the night about 30% of the time.  no-one has ever fallen out.  It hangs about 18" off the ground at its lowest point.  Very fast to unhook from the wall when the floor space is needed for play.   It also gets a lot of use for quiet reading time during the day.   No complaints about sore backs.  They seem to sleep well in it.  Each kid  also has a traditional bed.

It would be low risk to try:  a few dollars and a few holes in the wall.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 2

I would seriously consider a backpacking hammock like an Eno instead that could be eyebolted into the wall.  They are less expensive and there would be no bulky frame, I also figure they have been pretty well designed since people hike things like the Appalachian Trail with them.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Slache said:

From personal experience or just as you imagine?

<snip> My back hurt just reading the title. <snip>

Sorry, no idea how to quote you correctly...  You were quoting me..  

but to answer, No just imagining, not personal experience.  I have a terrible back.  I sleep on a hard mattress, generally flat on my back.  Previously flat on my stomach but due to medical issues, I can't do that now.  

• Like 1

Hammocks had been an option at the summer camp I attended as a kid.   We had beds in a cabin too.  I remember sleeping all night just fine in the hammock.  I liked it.   I think the only thing I didn't like was that since they were outdoors, it was harder to protect from bugs.   But, you won't have that problem.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OKBud said:

Oh if you have the space, you should do it! You know that sailors and people around the equator have slept in hammocks since way back. And it's good for the body. In addition to being good for your spinal alignment, it provides the kind of "push back" that Katy Bowman talks about. 

But how many cool parent points do you gain if you let your kid's bed be a hammock! (So many)

And, yeah, who cares if she falls out lol. My kids fell.out of their perfectly regular beds all the time until like five minutes ago. All is well.

Falling out of a normal bed generally does not result in injury. 

Nor do normal beds tend to have failures like a rope coming undone. 

I had a tailbone injury from a hammock whose rope broke. My slightly v position in it dropped all my weight right onto tip end of tailbone. 

Guess that colors my view. 

• Thanks 1

How far apart are the walls in her bedroom. Most of the Mayan style hammocks I've seen people use as bed replacements require about 12ft. as the minimum distance needed for proper hanging. Also, has she, or you, looked into the proper way to lay in one for sleeping? It's not always that easy to get out of in a hurry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eagleynne said:

How far apart are the walls in her bedroom. Most of the Mayan style hammocks I've seen people use as bed replacements require about 12ft. as the minimum distance needed for proper hanging. Also, has she, or you, looked into the proper way to lay in one for sleeping? It's not always that easy to get out of in a hurry.

We are moving so I don't know. I was thinking we would hang it diagonally.

My husband hates beds and how much space they take up, so he is always going our kids will want hammocks when they get older. Our house has enough space for enough beds, but he'd love a much smaller house with a Murphy bed for us and hammocks for the kids.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 12:18 PM, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

My biggest concern, both for her and a younger sibling, is entrapment.  I'd wait a few years, personally.  

I would get a proper hammock made of breathable fabric to prevent this risk. Something like a Mayan hammock.

• Like 2