Menu

help with business name ideas - NEW poll options!

ktgrok

Dog Training Business Name Ideas  

50 members have voted

1. 1. New options! Pick your favorite from these :)

• Loyalty Unleashed - Love your Dog, Train Your Dog
    • The Domesticated Dog - Training Pets, Teaching People
    • Pack Manners - Pet Dog Training
    • The Polite Pack - Pet Dog Training
    • Some mashup of the above

I'm looking at getting back into dog training in order to bring in a bit of extra income. I did it long ago, but am brushing up on my skills right now and exploring the current market. My old business was named Loyalty Unleashed, but with the proliferation of off leash training companies since then I'm afraid that people will assume my focus is off leash work, which it isn't. I'm going to be focused on pet dog manners, the stuff that helps you enjoy your dog on a day to day basis. Not competition work, not tricks. Going to start with group classes I think, with some private sessions down the road. Or maybe vice/versa. Also considering a "pack walk" program, those seem to be getting popular, where you just focus on loose leash walking while out and about -so a group walk.  At some point may also do a puppy day camp type thing - drop off at my house for the day, pick up in the evening, I work on housebreaking/crate training/basic manners/training while they are here, but not doing that for a while.  

These are the ideas I've had, with possible concerns. I checked and all these have a relevant domain name available for a website, a lot of other ones I thought of were already taken. 

Any thoughts?

1. Loyalty Unleashed (unclear, implies off leash training which is not my focus, could add a tagline of some sort)

2. Kate’s K9 Training (meh, hokey?)

3. The Domestic Dog - Family Friendly Training (I really like this one, but there is already a Family K9 Training in my city though, so probably need a different tagline. Also, does the word domestic have negative associations? Would it turn off single/childless people? Could do a simple but cute logo of a dog inside a house outline)

4. Sunny Day Dog Training - (I’m in Florida, so draws on that, plenty of cute logo ideas. There IS a Sunny Day Dog Walks business, but in California, so probably not an issue. There is a Sunshine Dog Training in Florida already though - is Sunny Day different enough from Sunshine?)

5. Kindred K9 Training ( Do people know what kindred means? And there is already a Kindred K9, but they use www.kindredk9solutions.com, I could use www.kindredk9.com . They are in virginia, I’m in Florida.)

6. Something else. 

Edited by Ktgrok

8 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I'm looking at getting back into dog training in order to bring in a bit of extra income. I did it long ago, but am brushing up on my skills right now and exploring the current market. My old business was named Loyalty Unleashed, but with the proliferation of off leash training companies since then I'm afraid that people will assume my focus is off leash work, which it isn't. I'm going to be focused on pet dog manners, the stuff that helps you enjoy your dog on a day to day basis. Not competition work, not tricks. Going to start with group classes I think, with some private sessions down the road. Or maybe vice/versa. Also considering a "pack walk" program, those seem to be getting popular, where you just focus on loose leash walking while out and about -so a group walk.  At some point may also do a puppy day camp type thing - drop off at my house for the day, pick up in the evening, I work on housebreaking/crate training/basic manners/training while they are here, but not doing that for a while.  

These are the ideas I've had, with possible concerns. I checked and all these have a relevant domain name available for a website, a lot of other ones I thought of were already taken. 

Any thoughts?

1. Loyalty Unleashed (unclear, implies off leash training which is not my focus, could add a tagline of some sort)

2. Kate’s K9 Training (meh, hokey?)

1) unclear but interesting. Add “Dog Training _____”.  ???

2) I’d prefer Canine to K9. And maybe a last name?  K9 to me possibly indicates protection training. 

3. The Domestic Dog - Family Friendly Training (I really like this one, but there is already a Family K9 Training in my city though, so probably need a different tagline. Also, does the word domestic have negative associations? Would it turn off single/childless people? Could do a simple but cute logo of a dog inside a house outline)

I like this one. Domestic refers to the dog and would not turn me off as a single or childless person. But I’d like to see the word training added so as to know it isn’t a grooming or pet shop. 

4. Sunny Day Dog Training - (I’m in Florida, so draws on that, plenty of cute logo ideas. There IS a Sunny Day Dog Walks business, but in California, so probably not an issue. There is a Sunshine Dog Training in Florida already though - is Sunny Day different enough from Sunshine?)

I like this a lot. It feels happy and upbeat and clearly says dog training. 

5. Kindred K9 Training ( Do people know what kindred means? And there is already a Kindred K9, but they use www.kindredk9solutions.com, I could use www.kindredk9.com . They are in virginia, I’m in Florida.)

6. Something else. 

I thougjt i knew what kimdred means, but maybe not. I don’t get a clear good image on this as much as from sunny or domestic. 

2 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

As a side note- Whatever you come up with- and I think you've got great ideas along with some on here (I like Kate's K9 Training)- I think your Google presence is even more important than the name. I know when we were looking for dog trainers, it was shocking how few local ones appeared in Google searches. I think so many small business owners just don't pay attention to their website and search engine presence, but if you aren't popping up in a search, it won't bring the business. I'll scroll through a page or two, but not more. I know a lot of SBO probably think FaceBook gives enough exposure, but with more people leaving FB with every scandal, I am not sure how much of an option it will remain for local small businesses at this point. I'd definitely put in a lot of time learning Google Analytics. 

I'm definitely researching that. So far I'm seeing the biggest things, for a start, are lots of unique content and lots of backlinks, including to your own content. And then there is all the keyword stuff...where I start to get lost, lol. Still in the early stages of learning about this. 

Another tagline idea was "People Friendly Pet Training", with the website pushing the idea that training should be something fun, not something you hate or dread doing, etc. But maybe it just conjures up ideas of making aggressive dogs nicer to people?

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

Have you developed your about-twenty-word long mission statement yet? A name might naturally roll out of that. The ones you have listed aren’t necessarily bad, but none (for me anyway) seem to match precisely with what you describe as your service. 

Maybe something like The Polished Pet? Tag line P’s & Q’s for pooches?

Just throwing it out there. FWIW, I am not currently a pet owner but I have deep appreciation for well behaved dogs so I wish you great success!!! I think there’s a big need for such services. 

Spin off here, but Pooch P's & Q's

have you done keyword research btw?  you might find that more people tend to search for one or another of various basically synonymous ways of saying "well-mannered" - polite, domesticated, trained, well-behaved, etc. - and that some of them have many more searches than others.

if your business name can tap into a popular keyword set, or at least a sometimes-used keyword set, you have a leg up on SEO (and on people's natural reactions to the name, since SEO is just a reflection of what people are already doing)

13 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

It's kind of long. I think your previous was more concise and would fit better on marketing materials. 

ETA- it's more the amount of words is what I'm trying to get at. Better Manners for your best friend is a mouthful. 

which one, lol?

11 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

The Domestic Dog- Training Pets, Teaching People. 

I just think its a strong tag. It's purposeful, clear, and concise. I especially like the Teaching People part. That's something I personally would appreciate as opposed to just having my dog trained, if that makes sense. 

Gotcha, I like it too. And yes, teaching the person is a large part of dog training, for sure!

• Like 1

The Polite Dog (the one in the US, I assume you don't care at all about the Australian one) is a lady in LA who does walks and doggy day care, not necessarily training from what I can see.  I don't think that you as a trainer in Florida will get confused with her too often (unless you are also going to do doggy day care and walks, I guess).  

Just do a tag line that emphasizes the training aspect while incorporating an important phrase or two, keyword-wise.

Because your service will be local, having the number 1 google result (or even a particularly high result) for a general search is not that important.  What you want is good placement, eventually, for a local search, and a name that resonates.  If you have to go with BestNameYouCanThinkOf.biz or BestNameYouCanThinkOfYourLocation.com, that is better imo than NameYou'reNotSatisfiedWith.com just because you are a local service-based product, kwim?

• Like 1

My two favorites are:

The Domestic Dog- Training Pets, Teaching People

Sunny Day Dog Training

Both are clear and concise, and would work well with marketing stuff I think. 

I agree that ‘K9’ coupled with any type of training makes it seem more law enforcement-y. ?

I updated the poll with the top choices (other than sunny day, which turned out to be too similar to another local trainer). I took a few minutes to mock up some logo ideas for two of them on canvas, you can see them here. They are NOT final products or even close...my husband is an awesome artist and will do a logo for me that is much nicer but just an idea of how it could work. https://www.canva.com/design/DADGGYg6MTE/share?role=EDITOR&token=eGVzcEPP-x5AezIUPEV3Dw&utm_content=DADGGYg6MTE&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=sharebutton

I voted for the updated Loyalty Unleashed with its new tagline Love your Dog, Train Your Dog.  Three main reasons:  

1. To me, the word "Domesticated" smacks of taking something wild and subduing it,

2.  The words ""Loyalty Unleashed" convey helping a dog be the best dog he/she can be, both on and off "the leash", and

3. Using the Loyalty name will tie in with your old one and any good rep that you still have (you may be surprised) from your previous work with dogs.

I like Domestic Dog - training dogs, teaching people. It's clear,succinct and catchy. I really like the teaching people part because if I were looking for a dog trainer, I'd be just as interested in being taught how to handle my dog as my dog being trained. 

8 minutes ago, aaplank said:

I like Domestic Dog - training dogs, teaching people. It's clear,succinct and catchy. I really like the teaching people part because if I were looking for a dog trainer, I'd be just as interested in being taught how to handle my dog as my dog being trained. 

Hmm...do you like that tag line with any of the other business names better, or best with that business name?

Like, maybe, 

The Polite Pack - Training Dogs, Teaching People

Edited by Ktgrok

4 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Hmm...do you like that tag line with any of the other business names better, or best with that business name?

Like, maybe, 

The Polite Pack - Training Dogs, Teaching People

I like the Polite Pack, but I like Domestic Dog better because it has a more cozy feel. Like I have an image of me and my dog cuddling by the fireplace.  ?

Whatever name you pick, I definitely think you should use you the tag line. 

Edited by aaplank
Clarity

Just now, aaplank said:

I like the Polite Pack, but I like Domestic Dog better because it had a more cozy feel. Like I have an image of me and my dog cuddling by the fireplace.  ?

Whatever name you pick, I definitely think you should you the tag line. 

I think my favorite part about Domestic Dog is that same cozy image....now I'm picturing a dog in front of a fireplace too. love that. Except I'm in Florida, lol...I do actually have a fireplace but it isn't very common ?

• Like 1

Sorry I don’t have many thoughts, but one I have is Loyalty Unleashed sounds negative to me.  As if they are no longer loyal or do not need to be loyal any longer.  Unleashed to me means no longer required to do something.  To me it may have a negative connotation for unfaithful relationships or cheating as well.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, displace said:

Sorry I don’t have many thoughts, but one I have is Loyalty Unleashed sounds negative to me.  As if they are no longer loyal or do not need to be loyal any longer.  Unleashed to me means no longer required to do something.  To me it may have a negative connotation for unfaithful relationships or cheating as well.  

YIKES!!!! That is NOT a connotation I had thought of or would want! But now that you say it, I totally get it. Loyalty Unleashed suddenly sounds like a marketing slogan for a swingers resort or something. Not sure I can get that image out of my head now, lol!

I think my favorite so far is The Polite Pack but not sure if it sounds weird? Like the Rat Pack, lol? 

The Polite Pack - Training Pets, Teaching People?

• Haha 2

I would want a training/teaching word to be part of the actual name, not just the tagline. Domestic Dog doesn't make me think of training - my first thought would be a competitor for Safe at Home and similar pet sitting companies that watch the dog either at the owner's house or their own house. 

Canine Coaching - Training Dogs, Teaching People 

Canine Education 

Doggy Discipline

Doggy Do, Doggy Don't

Edited by katilac
  • Like 1