Menu

Ideas for niece/nephew Christmas presents please

mum

I am needing to get gifts for a few young people-an outdoorsy 13 year old boy, and a boy 23 and girl 21. I'd like them to be in the $10-$15 range. These are niece and nephews, but I have a LOT of them, so I have to keep the budget low. Individual food gifts don't work well, they all live at home (big family) and I'm not sure individual food gets kept for the owner. I'd really like a gift that I give every year, like a theme, but I haven't figured it out for the oldest ones, who live at home and therefore aren't needing/wanting to outfit a home. It's a lot easier to find something in that price range that thrills the little ones!

Thank you!

6 minutes ago, mum said:

Individual food gifts don't work well, they all live at home (big family) and I'm not sure individual food gets kept for the owner. 

Some of my friends’ moms would take away gifts for common use or to regift.  We give personalized (engraved, embroidered) gifts if we know the person would rather keep than have their parents happily regift it to someone else or put it into common pool. Things like cross pens, stainless steel insulated coffee mugs, swiss knives, Leatherman tools.

• Like 1

Thank you! Those are great ideas and have sparked a few more for me. I have usually done my shopping by Black Friday (not that I'm super efficient. I try to buy all through the year to spread the cost and use good deals when I find them) but this year I'm keeping a list of things to look for online.

I did find 18oz hydro flasks at Costco yesterday for $20. This seems to be a good price. I got one for my mom.

One thing I have done sometimes is to buy all the young adults some form of wallet or wallet insert, with one or more gift cards inside.

One year I gave them this, with a gift card:  https://smile.amazon.com/Puzzle-Money-Challenge-Present-Holder/dp/B00IXX8KKI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539796054&sr=8-3&keywords=gift+card+game+holder

Another option is a nice mug with hot chocolate or something like that.

For young teen boys, I usually try for some sort of age-appropriate science kit, or maybe gloves and a hat.  That is a borderline age though.  They might be happier with a gift card.  I would say tools, but IME every male has already received every giftable tool item at least once.

I like the ideas presented so far, but I haven't seen movie gift card and socks mentioned.

My mom's aunt used to give my dad an Avon soap-on-a-rope each year. It became a joke in our family, which is kind of too bad, since my great-aunt was being nice and didn't have to give anything at all.

Other than a little trip down memory lane for me, I think this story can be a little warning not to get too hung up on giving the same kind of gift each year. It makes it easier for the gift-giver but does not always make the recipient feel special. Maybe you can keep a running list of ideas but cycle through them, giving something a little different each year, but still keeping it simple for you.

You could bump the price range down for the littles and up for the olders, at least on certain years, and still stick to your budget.

Costco has down blankets for $29. My girls always like iTunes, Amazon, Target or movie theater gift cards. Would the 13 yo like a compass or titanium spork for camping?

Or do they have wish lists?

Amy

If they don't already have the my kids all LOVE the Big One 5*6 fleece throw from Kohl's.  Watching sales they are $10 or so and there are lots of colors/prints to choose from, esp if you order online.  You might even be able to find someone local to embroider their names on them if you wanted.

• Like 1

We did a fort kit for each family one year. It was basically a couple sheets in fun colors, clothes pins, bungee cords, and whatever else I could find that I thought kids would enjoy making a fort out of. 

Another year we made and sent marshmallow shooters and marshmallows.

We have also done gift certificates to the movies or the local frozen yogurt shop. One year I sent gift certificates to go to the local zoo. My SIL did a gift certificate to the local trampoline place for my kids. Board games are fun too.

This year I’m thinking about a butterfly kit but they will have to wait until spring. 

I have a 19 year old nephew and 17 year old niece who have 6 and 4 year old siblings, it’s hard to get one thing for all of them to enjoy!

58 minutes ago, Garga said:

This looks so interesting.  Do you have one?  What’s it feel like?  How many cards can it hold really? (Some wallets say they can hold more than they actually can comfortably.)

They feel like fedex envelopes iirc.  Tyvek i think it's called.  My dc(ya) have them.  I'll ask about how many cards fit.

Our Blick store sells them.

Do they like going to the movies? We have several theaters close to us so we go to the movies often. My kids love getting a loyalty cup to our local theater. It's usually $6.50 to fill it the first time and whenever you go to the movies you take it with you and fill it for $1.50 and it's good for all year. 

For the younger kids you could put a candy bar in it and tie it up with a bow; for the older ones you could add a theater gift card.