Menu

wwyd neighbors dog

Scarlett

Short version---we have been feeding a neighbor's dog and he needs a new home.

We live in the country.   So neighbors dogs coming around is not unusual....but most neighbors are great about taking care of their own dogs.  One neighbor across the road has a feisty dog named Lucy who LOVES our house.  She crashed a pool party and dove in the pool on top of me in my floaty.  It was quite funny....neighbor came running to get her and he was so embarrassed.  Then another day she came running over and ran to my back patio glass door and jumped up on it and I ignored her not wanting to reward her with attention.  He came after her on the 4 Wheeler and he had to drag her up on his lap because she didn't want to go.  But he is working with her and he is a good owner. And a good neighbor.

Well.  There is another family down the road with a dog that they do not care for.  There was a divorce, teens in trouble repeatedly with the law, stealing from neighbors, etc.  They own a beautiful Siberian Husky.  He is about 4 years old.  I don't think they are feeding him or even giving him water, although we live in the country and there is a pond so I know he could get water if he needed to. He absolutely is not getting attention.   He is a very timid dog.  We have been feeding him for close to a year and he will just occasionally let us pet him.  He started out coming to our back glass door nightly and silently just looking in.  Then he started being in our drive way when we came home and he would jump up and dance around so happy to see us.....he would even 'talk' a lot (that breed is pretty talkative) but still would not let us touch him.  We began to give him scraps.  Then we started feeding him all the time.  Bought him dog food.  Lately I wake up in the morning and find him under my car.  I think he is spending most of his time at our house.  He was acting a little lethargic and so I gave him water and he lapped it up.  

I guess I know we have created this situation, but we just could not stand to not feed him.  He looked thin, and so sad and lonely.  He is so timid I don't worry about him attacking anyone, but I do know he is a very scared dog and so thus could be dangerous if backed into a corner.  Another neighbor dog came running at him and he didn't even flinch....so I guess dogs don't scare him, just people.  It was pretty funny...the 'attacking' dog put his brakes on and skidding to a halt when he realized the Husky wasn't going to run.  

I want so bad for this dog to have a home.  But there is no agency to call....and I can't just give him away for 2 reasons 1) It would be theft and 2) and I don't think we could get him in a vehicle or crate.  I do still have the Xwife's cell phone number  and I have thought about asking her if we can rehome him.....but I tried that last summer and she was going to have her dd's boyfriend come and get him but she never did and then all Hades broke loose because her son was arrested for burglary of our elderly neighbor and I didn't want to text her during that because---awkward. 

Any ideas? And if you have experience with this breed what can we do to get him to be less timid?

17 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Do you have an animal control officer in your county? We have a neighbor who goes through periods of not caring for his dog and we've had to call animal control a few times. Or maybe the humane society would have ideas for you? 

I don't think so.  I texted that question to a person who might know.....but I don't think I would call an agency on this neighbor.  Frankly we are scared of them.  I want to stay on good terms with them.  But Ashfern gave me a good idea....maybe find a Husky rescue and then contact the Xwife (she is the one who moved out and away and I don't fear her--just the father and son who stayed behind).

2 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I think a rescue is a good call. I bet those neighbors wouldn't even notice if the dog just disappeared...

But....isn't that stealing?  LOL.....seriously, it is what I WANT to do, but he does have owners.  Owners I just don't want to talk to.  

When we lived in town years ago, we had a similar situation - also involving a husky. The neighbors had him chained up under their deck and he was out there alone 24/7/365 with insufficient food and water. Of course, I felt like telling these neighbors how horrible they were, but I knew that would get me nowhere. Instead, I wrote them a note and very politely said how much we loved their dog and if they ever found themselves in the position of being too busy to care for the dog, we would happily take him. A few days later, they called and said the dog was ours, just come over and get him. They were happy to be rid of him. He was an awesome dog and lived a pampered life with us for the rest of his days.? 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Selkie said:

When we lived in town years ago, we had a similar situation - also involving a husky. The neighbors had him chained up under their deck and he was out there alone 24/7/365 with insufficient food and water. Of course, I felt like telling these neighbors how horrible they were, but I knew that would get me nowhere. Instead, I wrote them a note and very politely said how much we loved their dog and if they ever found themselves in the position of being too busy to care for the dog, we would happily take him. A few days later, they called and said the dog was ours, just come over and get him. They were happy to be rid of him. He was an awesome dog and lived a pampered life with us for the rest of his days.? 

That was perfectly handled.  This dog is so so sweet, but really has not been socialized and I don't know what to do about him.  Dh made me realize last night that is HIGHLY unlikely he is being vaccinated. And that made me start worrying....

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

That was perfectly handled.  This dog is so so sweet, but really has not been socialized and I don't know what to do about him.  Dh made me realize last night that is HIGHLY unlikely he is being vaccinated. And that made me start worrying....

Have you thought about maybe doing the same thing? Then you can make a decision about rehoming him once he is yours.

• Like 3

as for the timidity - could he have been being abused at his home?  more than just neglected.  that would make him afraid.  

feeding him, giving him stability and consistency will go along way to him feeling 'safe'.   I admit I've watch youtube videos of rescue dogs.  what you describe isn't unusual, though it can take weeks (months) in a safe environment for them to feel safe and start acting like a dog.    when he trusts you, he'll let you get close.  he's already showing excitement at seeing you.

dd's puppy will freak out over new things.   I have learned to put those items down - and let him approach/sniff/mouth at his leisure - he has stretched himself out to reach it - so he can leap away if it moves.   try sitting very still for ten or fifteen minutes (or more), and see if he will approach you.  you can use a lure of treats/pieces of meat to get him to come closer.   works best if he''s a bit hungry.

5 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

as for the timidity - could he have been being abused at his home?  more than just neglected.  that would make him afraid.  

feeding him, giving him stability and consistency will go along way to him feeling 'safe'.   I admit I've watch youtube videos of rescue dogs.  what you describe isn't unusual, though it can take weeks (months) in a safe environment for them to feel safe and start acting like a dog.    when he trusts you, he'll let you get close.  he's already showing excitement at seeing you.

dd's puppy will freak out over new things.   I have learned to put those items down - and let him approach/sniff/mouth at his leisure - he has stretched himself out to reach it - so he can leap away if it moves.   try sitting very still for ten or fifteen minutes (or more), and see if he will approach you.  you can use a lure of treats/pieces of meat to get him to come closer.   works best if he''s a bit hungry.

Dh thinks they have beat him...I am not so sure....maybe.  Very unstable life up there at his house.....I remember one time when he was less than a year old...I caught him going through my trash can --he had turned it over---and I yelled at him and threw a stick in his general direction....I certainly didn't hit him.  I will never forget how he stepped back and yelped and gave me a look like I had just crushed his soul.  He is very animated.  He will lie in front of the door we use most often.  And jump up when he hears the handle....If you try to touch his head he will turn it away out of your reach and keep stepping back each time you move toward him.  

26 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Dh thinks they have beat him...I am not so sure....maybe.  Very unstable life up there at his house.....I remember one time when he was less than a year old...I caught him going through my trash can --he had turned it over---and I yelled at him and threw a stick in his general direction....I certainly didn't hit him.  I will never forget how he stepped back and yelped and gave me a look like I had just crushed his soul.  He is very animated.  He will lie in front of the door we use most often.  And jump up when he hears the handle....If you try to touch his head he will turn it away out of your reach and keep stepping back each time you move toward him.  

I agree with your husband.  He very much over reacted to throwing a stick in his direction.

you can work with him to get him to trust you enough to allow you to pet him. it will take time, and a lot of patience on your part. think baby steps. or you can allow the rescue to catch him - and they will work on taming him and introductory socialization skills.

since you are feeding him - I would start by sitting on the ground (a chair is too high) nearby when he eats.  or give  him raw meat, then sit on the ground nearby with a trial leading towards you.  move slowly so he's not afraid, he'll approach, but until he feels totally safe, he'll always be ready to dart away.

when the puppy is feeling really frisky - he'll often jump back when we approach.  he. wants. to. play. . . in a very energetic manner.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I agree with your husband.  He very much over reacted to throwing a stick in his direction.

you can work with him to get him to trust you enough to allow you to pet him. it will take time, and a lot of patience on your part. think baby steps. or you can allow the rescue to catch him - and they will work on taming him and introductory socialization skills.

since you are feeding him - I would start by sitting on the ground (a chair is too high) nearby when he eats.  or give  him raw meat, then sit on the ground nearby with a trial leading towards you.  move slowly so he's not afraid, he'll approach, but until he feels totally safe, he'll always be ready to dart away.

when the puppy is feeling really frisky - he'll often jump back when we approach.  he. wants. to. play. . . in a very energetic manner.

This is what we have been doing--a bit of it---for a year. We have made progress.   But none of us have the time to give him that he apparently needs.  That is why I wish I could find a home for him.  I am going to get the nerve up to text the Xwife again and feel her out about the dog.  I mean, maybe she is the owner of the dog and will let me rehome him?  I just don't want the Xhusband and teen son to be mad at me.  

Could you call whatever law enforcement exists in your area and ask what you can do?  If the dog has found you and has no indicator of ownership such as a license tag, it may be that in your area there would be a law that if you post a notice and no one responds, the dog becomes yours. At that point you could get it vaccinated or whatever it needs  

Otherwise the Husky rescue sounds like a good idea. 

1 minute ago, Pen said:

Could you call whatever law enforcement exists in your area and ask what you can do?  If the dog has found you and has no indicator of ownership such as a license tag, it may be that in your area there would be a law that if you post a notice and no one responds, the dog becomes yours. At that point you could get it vaccinated or whatever it needs  

Otherwise the Husky rescue sounds like a good idea. 

Law enforcement won't get involved.  Not to mention everyone knows who dog it is.  There is a lot of anger in our neighborhood toward his thieving son.  I was posting pics on FB of the dog because he is beautiful...but I started getting comments on my posts from neighbors that were not what I want on my FB page.  So I am just playing it cool, so to speak.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

The stick thing does seem like he has been hit with a stick and fears them. However, a lot of dogs don’t like their heads touched, especially not on the top of the head, if they weren’t socialized to it. 

I did not know that.  I have sat down by him and tried to touch his paw after several minutes.  He will just pull it back.  And turn his head away from me.  He is very snooty seeming.  LOL..but obviously he is craving human interaction because he spends so much time at our home and is so excited to see us.  Also I did see him take off on a dead run to follow his owner's truck home when he saw them pass our house one day.  So he must like them too.

Edited by Scarlett

8 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I did not know that.  I have sat down by him and tried to touch his paw after several minutes.  He will just pull it back.  And turn his head away from me.  He is very snooty seeming.  LOL..but obviously he is craving human interaction because he spends so much time at our home and is so excited to see us.  Also I did see him take off on a dead run to follow his owner's truck home when he saw them pass our house one day.  So he must like them too.

Feet tend to be sensitive areas for dogs- physically and emotionally  

There is a good film I saw (maybe book too) called Calming Signals.  Which I highly recommend.

That pull away and turning his head is probably a “calming signal” he is trying to give you — as you are sort of overstepping dog social boundaries for early acquaintance level and being probably too much too soon and in areas the dog probably regards as more intimate than you do. Whereas butt sniffing that probably seems overly forward and intimate to you might be fine with him from doggy perspective .  I’m not suggesting you sniff his butt, just trying to get you to see that he probably feels differently than you about proper social protocols. 

I would probably try a curved approach and then just sitting down fairly near —a distance he has seemed comfortable approaching you) such a dog and yawning several times and then maybe sniffing the ground (yawning and sniffing are also “calming signals”) and then lying down and seeing if he might not approach me.  If so, I would let touch at first just be body to body (like shoulders touching as dog friends sometimes will do when sitting side by side) not use my hands at all at first. 

Then if I did get to using a hand to touch I would use “T-touch” circles on his shoulder or back—not head, feet, tail, throat or anywhere he might feel especially vulnerable. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Pen said:

Feet tend to be sensitive areas for dogs- physically and emotionally  

There is a good film I saw (maybe book too) called Calming Signals.  Which I highly recommend.

That pull away and turning his head is probably a “calming signal” he is trying to give you — as you are sort of overstepping dog social boundaries for early acquaintance level and being probably too much too soon and in areas the dog probably regards as more intimate than you do. Whereas butt sniffing that probably seems overly forward and intimate to you might be fine with him from doggy perspective .  I’m not suggesting you sniff his butt, just trying to get you to see that he probably feels differently than you about proper social protocols. 

I would probably try a curved approach and then just sitting down fairly near —a distance he has seemed comfortable approaching you) such a dog and yawning several times and then maybe sniffing the ground (yawning and sniffing are also “calming signals”) and then lying down and seeing if he might not approach me.  If so, I would let touch at first just be body to body (like shoulders touching as dog friends sometimes will do when sitting side by side) not use my hands at all at first. 

Then if I did get to using a hand to touch I would use “T-touch” circles on his shoulder or back—not head, feet, tail, throat or anywhere he might feel especially vulnerable. 

LOL to the bolded....and thank you for the tips.  I would not describe myself as 'early acquaintance level' though....would you?  I mean I have been around him since he was a pup an he has been coming to our home regularly for probably a solid year. 

I would love to get him to be less skittish so we can find him a new home maybe someday.  Oh and I was shocked when we had a car load of friends pull up the other day and he ran to the car door and let a teen girl pet him!  Maybe she reminded him of the teen girl in his owner's family?  He often runs up to our car door but won't let us pet him.  She was still sitting down though...so maybe he felt safe.

Early aquaintance  may not be the right term, but a human child who knew an adult well would still not necessarily be wanting to be touched in certain places or in certain ways as a teenager even if the adult served a lot of meals. 

Dogs have their own sense of what /where/how is okay and unless they get a lot of puppy socializing to accept the human view of touch their different dog version will tend to be what they go on. 

I’d probably start with places dogs are more likely to like being petted or gently scratched such as above tail or other parts of back petting, then gradually perhaps work up to ears as many dogs like a nice ear massage. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Pen said:

Early aquaintance  may not be the right term, but a human child who knew an adult well would still not necessarily be wanting to be touched in certain places or in certain ways as a teenager even if the adult served a lot of meals. 

Dogs have their own sense of what /where/how is okay and unless they get a lot of puppy socializing to accept the human view of touch their different dog version will tend to be what they go on. 

I’d probably start with places dogs are more likely to like being petted or gently scratched such as above tail or other parts of back petting, then gradually perhaps work up to ears as many dogs like a nice ear massage. 

Ok, I understand.  And thank you!

He isn't well tonight.  :(. He drug his bowl of food off into the grass and just laid down looking at it.  SoI texted the XW. She told me she used to take him to dog training and he loaded up just fine.  So I might try that to get him to the vet. She told me her Xh is moving out of state and she doesn't think he has any intention of taking the dog with him.  

Ugh,. I feel ill. 

30 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

He isn't well tonight.  :(. He drug his bowl of food off into the grass and just laid down looking at it.  SoI texted the XW. She told me she used to take him to dog training and he loaded up just fine.  So I might try that to get him to the vet. She told me her Xh is moving out of state and she doesn't think he has any intention of taking the dog with him.  

Ugh,. I feel ill. 

I'm glad you're helping him, Scarlett. That poor dog.?I hope he isn't seriously ill and that you can find a better situation for him. If I lived closer, I would take him!

• Like 2

Just now, Catwoman said:

Could he be injured? Could he have been poisoned?

Can you lure him into the house for the night?

I’m worried. ?

Oh no. He can't be lured into the house.  We have tried.  Many many times.  Even once recently during a very very bad storm he just looked at me like I was nuts and sat in the rain. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Scarlett said:

We’ve had a rescue dog for three years now. While we don’t know her actual history, her behavior when we got her indicated she had likely been abused and not properly socialized. She’s always been super sweet, but was very easily scared by almost everything and didn’t like people approaching to touch or pet her. She’s always been crazy affectionate with me, but it has taken time to get her used to everyone else, including my husband and son. We worked with a trainer at first, and she had us stand with a treat held for out in our hand, but with our bodies and eyes turned away from her. It’s less intimidating if you are not looking at them and reaching out directly for them. Later, we would just hold out our hand, and when she touched it with her nose or sniffed it, she would get the treat. She’s come a long, long ways in three years, but except with me and occasionally some other random women, she still prefers to be ignored at first. But before you know it, she will come up and want to be petted and rub against you. And strangely enough, she’s always been willing to snuggle with absolutely anyone on our couch. I guess it’s a super safe spot for her.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Frances said:

We’ve had a rescue dog for three years now. While we don’t know her actual history, her behavior when we got her indicated she had likely been abused and not properly socialized. She’s always been super sweet, but was very easily scared by almost everything and didn’t like people approaching to touch or pet her. She’s always been crazy affectionate with me, but it has taken time to get her used to everyone else, including my husband and son. We worked with a trainer at first, and she had us stand with a treat held for out in our hand, but with our bodies and eyes turned away from her. It’s less intimidating if you are not looking at them and reaching out directly for them. Later, we would just hold out our hand, and when she touched it with her nose or sniffed it, she would get the treat. She’s come a long, long ways in three years, but except with me and occasionally some other random women, she still prefers to be ignored at first. But before you know it, she will come up and want to be petted and rub against you. And strangely enough, she’s always been willing to snuggle with absolutely anyone on our couch. I guess it’s a super safe spot for her.

Aww.  How sweet. 

4 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Oh no. He can't be lured into the house.  We have tried.  Many many times.  Even once recently during a very very bad storm he just looked at me like I was nuts and sat in the rain. 

Have you tried leaving a door open with treats, but turning away from him? When we first had our rescue dog, she would occasionally escape from husband, even coming completely out of her collar. She would follow him afterwards, but every time he stopped and turned towards her, she would stop and not come any closer. He would just have to lead her home without looking at her or call me to assist.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Frances said:

Have you tried leaving a door open with treats, but turning away from him? When we first had our rescue dog, she would occasionally escape from husband, even coming completely out of her collar. She would follow him afterwards, but every time he stopped and turned towards her, she would stop and not come any closer. He would just have to lead her home without looking at her or call me to assist.

No....bugs and OK heat make that very impractical.  

Just now, Scarlett said:

No....bugs and OK heat make that very impractical.  

Understood. Slow hand feeding, if he will do it, is another bonding technique. My husband did it for a very long time because he wanted so badly for the dog to bond with him.

• Like 2

Poor dog. Scarlett, I'm so glad you're trying to help him.

I understand why you are reluctant to antagonize these neighbors. But if at some point you want to remove the dog, I would not think of it as stealing. If they are not providing food, water, shelter or affection, they've abandoned him.

Do be careful about any interactions that could leave him feeling trapped and frightened. If I thought I might someday need to transport him in my car, for example, I'd get him used to going in and out, and sitting in there with me, before I closed the door and drove. It's good that he used to ride to training.

A rescue group sounds like a great idea. And if the neighbors leave without the dog, so much the better. No more need to worry about them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I left for work this morning he was frolicking with the neighbor's dog across the street.  So whatever was wrong with him last night seems to have passed.  I do want to work on getting him in the car....maybe we will just go to the end of the drive way and then let him out for starters. 

The Xhusband has to sell his house first.....and has to get some work done on it first...so who knows how long that will take.  I was hoping he was going SOON.  His departure will solve so many problems.  And yes if he leaves the dog, fine.  

• Like 4

last night I followed suggestions here and attempted to pet his shoulder area and avoid his back.  He twisted around a bit but then when he realizedI was not trying to touch his head he stood still.....and literally flinched as my hand touched him.  I kept it brief and talked low and kind to him.    

Tonight he stood still and turned his body so I could pet his shoulder and back area.  It was amazing.  

Thanks for all the suggestions!  Very helpful. 

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 17

Excellent!!

Look up Tellington Ttouch (sic) and see if there’s a you tube or diagram showing the touch. 

It is basically making a whole small circle ️ on the dog with two or three fingers being careful to complete the circle to closed. It is soothing for a lot of animals. Dogs, horses, people too. 

Edited by Pen

I’d be careful about all these assumptions. Just because the family is sketchy, doesn’t mean they don’t feed their dog. Just because you think the dog looks thin, doesn’t mean he’s not at a healthy weight. Most pets get over fed and we get used to that look. The dog may prefer your food; especially if you’re feeding him table scraps and his family could be wondering why he’s not eating what’s in his bowl. Finally, you CANNOT assume that every timid dog has been abused. A lot of dogs are wired that way. You can’t assume they’ve been abused by men if they’re more cautious with men. You REALLY can’t assume that a fearful dog won’t bite because they do it as much as the aggressive ones. If you STEAL this dog, you have another neighborhood thief on your hands!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’d be careful about all these assumptions. Just because the family is sketchy, doesn’t mean they don’t feed their dog. Just because you think the dog looks thin, doesn’t mean he’s not at a healthy weight. Most pets get over fed and we get used to that look. The dog may prefer your food; especially if you’re feeding him table scraps and his family could be wondering why he’s not eating what’s in his bowl. Finally, you CANNOT assume that every timid dog has been abused. A lot of dogs are wired that way. You can’t assume they’ve been abused by men if they’re more cautious with men. You REALLY can’t assume that a fearful dog won’t bite because they do it as much as the aggressive ones. If you STEAL this dog, you have another neighborhood thief on your hands!

I'd assume a fearful dog is the most likely to bite.

You're right, I had taken for granted that the dog is not being fed by his family, as Scarlett believes. I do personally take a very dim view of people who let their dogs roam the neighbohood, especially if they're scared and hungry. But yes, dogs will overeat, and yes, some dogs are shy by nature. And I know cultural norms about dog care vary widely.

Sounds like, if possible, communicating with the owners might be best. Of course that's always the ideal. This is why I like communities with functional animal control departments.

This dog has already become a problem for the neighbors, and the issue is how to solve that problem in the best interest of everyone. If the neighbors were caring for the dog in their home, the problem would not have arisen.

Following up...

A fearful dog who is roaming the neighborhood is dangerous. IMO, the owners lose the benefit of the doubt right there. If they want to control the dog's diet and behavior, he needs to be in their house. Failing that, neighbors have to figure out what to do. Many people would chose less benign remedies than feeding the dog and calling a rescue group.

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I agree. I keep thinking the dog sounds like most of the huskies I have known as far as temperament and build. The fact that the owners allow him to roam would bother me, as it's not safe for the dog and it is inconsiderate of the neighbors.

We aren’t going to steal him. Just because we would like to find him a good home doesn’t mean we will. 

I did ask about husky temperament and got some helpful hints. I don’t believe AT ALL that he is dangerous or we wouldn’t have him on our property. 

Country life is different with dogs. We don’t mind a dog wandering through our yard. But the Husky is different. He came a year ago right at the time the kid was arrested and the whole neighborhood was up in arms.  And after talking to the xwife I am even more convinced the dog is not wanted. 

• Like 6

On 8/30/2018 at 11:53 AM, Scarlett said:

I suppose I might ask the neighbor point blank if they are wiling to give the dog to you. Then you could decide if you want to keep him or give him to a rescue. Since it sounds they are a little all over the map, get something in writing. You write it out, they sign. I don't know if that is enough but I would also register the dog in your name then.

You live in a different state so I don't think I can offer any other suggestions. Here, he would be taken in by the Humane Society and you could adopt him back if you wanted to or give someone else a chance to take him.