Menu

Alternatives to Crisco (shortening) for baking?

Ria

I can't stand the thought of using Crisco, but so many biscuit recipes call for it. Today I got some lard. Will that work? I'm not sure which is more unhealthy, but I think the Crisco would be worse for us.

I also have coconut oil, which seems somewhat solid, and I'm getting some palm oil (also solid). (Amy in Orlando, bless her sweet soul, is coaching me through soapmaking, thus my plethora of oils and fats!).

What do you use? Are you happy?

Ria

I use Spectrum Vegetable Shortening. It is non-hydrogenated. It comes in 24 oz tubs (white and blue) for somewhere around $5/ea. I have to buy it in the health food section of the grocery store, or at the health food store. I am actually purchasing a case from food co-op, that should be here next Monday, because it can be quite expensive in the store and I got a really good price at co-op. However, I'll probably sell some of the tubs, if I can, because I think it will go bad before I can use it all...

Supposedly, Crisco makes a non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, but I haven't found it in the stores.

It's palm oil, but it's pricey of late through my co-op. I needed to buy some more for my pantry, so this time I got a larger tub from Tropical Traditions through a friend that was ordering in bulk from them. I'm hoping that it will be equivalent.

We eat a lot of biscuits and I periodically make pot pies.

I can't stand the thought of using Crisco, but so many biscuit recipes call for it. Today I got some lard. Will that work?

Lard works very well in biscuits. Other than the BHA, BHT, lard is pretty natural. :) You could try making your own to get around that, but it seems like a lot of work.

Breadbeckers has a recipe for drop biscuits that calls for oil. 2 cups flour, 1tbs baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 oil, 1 cup milk. They taste good and are very quick to make, but they're definitely on the flat side. They're not very pretty.

And I think you can usually substitute butter for shortening...it just gets expensive to use it all the time in baking.

According to our Health Food Store, Lard is a good cooking fat an consiered a good fat. the only problem is that it can go rancid quickly. Keep refrigerated. I use lard when I'm going to make a lot of pie crust. My husband can tell the difference from my Lard piecrusts and my shortening and butter pie crusts. I like a mix of lard and butter for my crusts, I've never used lard in my biscuits but you've made me want to try it. I have made tamale dough and refried beans with lard and well, the flavor is really enhanced.

I grew up on Crisco but I've never bought it, nor have I ever made a recipe that called for it. (Not since I was a girl, anyway.) I use butter for the majority of my baking, sometimes using coconut oil alongside the butter.. Some recipes, such as my carrot cake, I use extra virgin olive oil as the fat.

Oh, my goodness! Step away from the Crisco. LOL

LOL, girlfriend! I actually have been using butter, but I'm trying to find a less expensive alternative. I've been greasing pans with Crisco, but ick. Don't want to do that, either.

I just got a recipe for sourdough biscuits, and it called for lard or Crisco. I started to wonder what else was out there.

Have you ever made Snickerdoodles w/ coconut oil? My kids love those cookies, but I banned them because they call for the unhealthy white goop.

Ria

LOL, girlfriend! I actually have been using butter, but I'm trying to find a less expensive alternative. I've been greasing pans with Crisco, but ick. Don't want to do that, either.

I just got a recipe for sourdough biscuits, and it called for lard or Crisco. I started to wonder what else was out there.

Have you ever made Snickerdoodles w/ coconut oil? My kids love those cookies, but I banned them because they call for the unhealthy white goop.

Ria

I grease my pans with oil, rather than shortening or butter, but only with my brand new fancy baking sheet made in the USA. It's the coolest thing since sliced bread (okay, to me, at least). Normally I use unbleached parchment paper for baking. No stick, easy clean up.

Since going dairy free, I use Spectrum if I HAVE to use a shortening, but try not to as it's pricey. I used butter in pie crusts, but don't make pies any more unless it's for Thanksgiving, etc. Lard is lovely, but I hate the preservatives, and I think it's recommended for savory pie crusts, but not for sweet pie crusts (in some cookbook's opinion, at any rate.)

I use butter for most things, a tiny bit of Spectrum with butter for pie crusts, and coconut oil where I can.

Lard is wonderful, I hear, but the grocery store version contains hydrogenated oils and some other gunk. :ack2: I hope to make some myself next weekend with the fat I ordered from my natural-pork guy.

Like Karin, I use unbleached parchment paper when possible, e.g. for cookies. Otherwise, I put a bit of olive oil on a napkin and coat the pan with that. Or you can buy a spray-pump for the olive oil and go that route.

I banned them because they're gross.:tongue_smilie: No, just kidding. I didn't ban them. My boys love Snickerdoodles, but I tend not to make them very often since I don't like them. That is to say, I bake what I want to eat, more often than not. What a selfish pig.:D I use butter and coconut oil in my Snickerdoodles.

Lard rocks! It's all I use in baked goods now. Blessings.

Yeah, but I won't eat lard you can buy at the store. Pigs are fed a LOT of antibiotics and other nasties and fat tends to store toxins, KWIM? If you can find some lard from more natural sources, I'd say go for it.

And, for any naysayers, I worked on a hog farm in college and antibiotics were dumped into the water system on a regular basis.

I rarely use Crisco as my main cooking fat, but I do use regularly it for oiling pans! It works great. For some pie crusts, I do a 50/50 mix of the transfat free Crisco and butter.

Crisco for a while was selling two types of shortening, one in the blue tub and one in green that's transfat free. I don't think they sell the traditional one anymore..... I just checked their website, which says: "Crisco shortening has 50% less saturated fat than butter and 0g trans fat per serving," so it looks like the days of transfat Crisco are over.

I don't eat any pork products so no lard here, but I'd be aware with any meat fat that the taste may not work so well for all recipes, especially delicate sweets.

I use butter. I like it. :) Can't beat the flavor. I stock up when it's on sale and freeze it.

According to the crisco website, ingredients are :

SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS).

So the second ingredient is a fully hydrogenated oil; transfats come from partially hydrogenated oils.

I have always used butter for things like cookies and cake. never heard of most of the other things mentioned.

"Crisco" is a brand name for vegetable shortening (= solid fat). It's white, flavorless, and odorless. (It's not quite like margarine because it does not taste like butter, is not yellow, it's unsalted, and is only fat (no water). )

According to the crisco website, ingredients are :

SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS).

So the second ingredient is a fully hydrogenated oil; transfats come from partially hydrogenated oils.

So the 3rd ingredient still is transfat...which studies say there is no way to rid your body of when ingested? I also read the fully hydrogenated oil contains almost no trans fats...I'll stick with butter, coconut oil...I wonder how much crisco is still in my body from growing up? My mom used it for everything from frying chicken to baking cookies...lol

So the 3rd ingredient still is transfat...which studies say there is no way to rid your body of when ingested? I also read the fully hydrogenated oil contains almost no trans fats...I'll stick with butter, coconut oil...I wonder how much crisco is still in my body from growing up? My mom used it for everything from frying chicken to baking cookies...lol

I know that transfats are bad, but which studies say that your body can never get rid of them? Just curious.

I know that transfats are bad, but which studies say that your body can never get rid of them? Just curious.

I of course would suggest you do your own research (as I did about a year ago)...just google trans fat build up, or something of the like...Here is one of the first articles that came up when I just did...there are many studies out there too on the body's inability to break down trans fats...they build up over a lifetime...

http://www.heartandstroke.com/site/c.ikIQLcMWJtE/b.3479251/

Eliminating trans fat

Scientific evidence shows trans fat increases the incidence of coronary heart disease. In fact, there is no known safe level of trans fat consumption. While Canadians are becoming increasingly aware of the heart-health risks associated with trans fat, our consumption of saturated and trans fat is one of the highest in the world.

This highlights the need for ongoing advocacy efforts and initiatives to support and encourage food manufacturers to drastically reduce or eliminate trans fat from their products.

To achieve this goal, the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada co-chairs a multi-stakeholder
that brings together government, health professionals, non-governmental organizations and industry to reduce trans fat in Canada’s food supply to the lowest possible levels. The Task Force is also investigating options for regulating the levels of trans fats in Canadian foods, and educating the public about the health risks of trans fat so they can make informed food choices.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/07/21/f-transfats.html

Why is it bad for me?

Trans fats raise the low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or "bad" cholesterol, in the body. While saturated fats — found in butter, cheese, beef, and coconut and palm oil — raise cholesterol levels, trans fats go further. They also deplete good cholesterol (HDL), which helps protect against heart disease. The body is unable to break down trans fatty acids, causing them to build up in the body.

In other words, much like bacon grease clogging up the kitchen pipes, trans fats contribute to clogging the arteries leading to the heart and brain.

http://http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T041300.asp

Trans fats or hydrogenated fats may interfere with the ability of the cells of the body to metabolize the fats that are good for you. This may damage cell membranes of vital structures, such as the brain and nerve cells. Cell membranes contain receptor sites for fat molecules, sort of like parking places that are specifically designed to receive certain molecules. When the right fatty acid arrives, it fills its assigned parking spot and contributes to the health of the membrane. However, trans fatty acid "cars" may also come along and squeeze into a space that doesn't really fit these biochemical impostors. A sort of biochemical traffic jam occurs, and the right cars cannot get to where they need to be. Or, think of cell membranes as having millions of tiny locks, which nutrient molecules can enter like keys. Changing the shape of the molecule, which is what happens when a fat is hydrogenated, changes the shape of the key, and it doesn't fit properly into the lock. Two problems can occur. Either the molecular misfit key is left to wander throughout the body, causing damage in other places, or these misfit keys keep pushing their way into the locks, damaging them, so that the right keys, the natural nutrients, no longer fit. At least in theory, hydrogenated fats can weaken cell membranes, keeping out needed nutrients and also allowing harmful ones to leak in. This may set the body up for chronic, degenerative diseases. This is why fake fats are becoming known in the medical community as "the silent killer." We can take a tip from Mother Nature that trans fatty acids are not good for the body. Both the placenta and the brain have a biochemical way of filtering most trans fatty acids out, although the protection is not complete. If a diet is not overwhelmed with TFA's, it can deal with a bit of them by metabolizing these fats as energy sources before they have a chance to do any cellular damage, and then use the good fats (the essential fatty acids) as healthy nutrients for the cells. Perhaps, a bit of trans fatty acids (which may occur naturally in some foods anyway) won't harm the body but, like all other fats, excess will.

I use butter for most things, a tiny bit of Spectrum with butter for pie crusts, and coconut oil where I can.

Lard is wonderful, I hear, but the grocery store version contains hydrogenated oils and some other gunk. :ack2: I hope to make some myself next weekend with the fat I ordered from my natural-pork guy.

I don't know why this is cracking me up, but I can't stop laughing at the idea that you have a pork guy.

"She has a pork guy? Why don't *I* have a pork guy?!? I need a pork guy, too!"

I of course would suggest you do your own research (as I did about a year ago)...

Thanks. We don't eat transfats at our house, so I was lazily hoping you already had the links ;). My mother used to use hard margarine for baking. For a while, when they said that margarine was healthier than butter, she used hard margarine for everything, but I hated "butter". I started liking "butter" when she actually started using it again because it was finally said that butter is better for you than margarine.

ETA I'm sure I've eaten all kinds of transfats, though, given all the junk that was used all during my growing up years everywhere. My mother probably used to use Crisco, too.